Ross 52 for 2018 Thread 'Week 31 - Short'

Really like your wet shot Ross, very well captured.

Heavy might be slightly tenuous for the theme but the combination of the two differently coloured glass panels and the heavy sky does seem to feel 'heavy' overall so no complaints here.
Wet is definitely not tenuous and I really like the low angle you've taken, which shows off the expanse of water in the foreground and accentuates the height of the doubledecker. Very nice (y)

Week 12 - Juxtaposition

This has been a hard week. Having lost my Nan on Saturday I have not had a huge amount of time, or the inclination to go out and shoot.

That being said, in the last few days I've been using this 52 to keep me busy, and to give me some time alone to wander around and think about things.

I think this fits the bill this week. It was taken on the 'beach' (if you can call it that) of the Thames near the Millennium Bridge (North bank). The floor is muddy, dirty, angular, brick like stones, and just next to them were some perfectly white, smooth, rounded stones.

Not my finest shot but in a week like this, I think it will do.

Juxtaposition lowres.jpg

Higher res on Flickr as per usual.

Ps. Comment catch up to come soon.

Thanks.

Hi Ross, condolences to you and your family, sorry to hear your news.

Well done for getting out and keeping yourself busy! The shot almost represents the week you've probably had, great atmosphere in it. Really like the textures too. Keep your chin up buddy!

Sorry to hear abour your Nan.

Nice shot Ross, lucky find with the white stones. Lots of details. Light at the end of a tunnel.

Pete

Sorry to hear about your loss Ross. I'm glad the 52s served as a distraction and chance to think things through. Nice shot and a good find.

Feeling for your loss,

Wet - Now that is dedication, pausing while running for a bus to get down and take a photo of it to meet a theme. Well composed and with that lighting excellent exposure.

Juxtaposition - Well observed, the difference in colour and texture works well. Now I'm wondering why that one stays clean.

its been a bit of a hard week for you and I hope things are looking up its good to lose yourself in something at these times but I have to say thats a really good picture for juxtaposition I love the textures and the contrast between the rocks

Hi Ross,

Wet - Sorry, doesn't do it for me, soft, noisy... But with what you were trying for I guess there wasn't much choice. No way to get a pin sharp image in those conditions.

Juxtaposition - This works for me really well. Simple, but effective and for those who don't know London, unexpected.
I'm surprised we don't see more London shoreline images.

I'm sorry to hear about your Nan, and would urge you to keep at the 52 as an outlet / distraction.

That stone doesn't belong there, therefore a Juxtaposition :)

I like that shot, nice contrast between the white rock on the black rocks!

Hi Ross sorry to hear of your loss.

Wet I really like that like pov love the reflection.

Juxtaposition Nice take on the theme

Juxtaposition

Sorry to read about your nan.

I really like this, it's simple and that white pebble really stands out against the dark stones and mud.

Week 13 - Oval

Struggled with this week. Work has been hectic. Life has been hectic. But did manage to get out a couple of times this week.

I think this is the best of a bad bunch for me. It fits the theme, but its not quite perfect. If I had had my tripod, I would have tried some focus stacking but I couldn't be arsed to carry it. So this was taken in the p***ing rain, hand held. I like the idea of the shot but don't think I have executed it as well as I had hoped.

Oval lowres.jpg

But at least I am in for the week on time.

Much better quality upload on Flickr as usual.

Thanks

I like it! Great composition and sharp enough without focus stacking!

Oval works well for me Sir, bang on theme, well executed & presented.(y)

George.

Oval looks pretty good to me and an interesting take. Must admit I was expecting an oval pasty, with you being in Cornwall!;) Hope you are enjoying your stay.

Sorry to hear about your Nan.

Juxtaposition - works really well, The the clean white stone really stands out .
Oval - I really like that great capture.

I like the oval shot, but the bubble is a little soft if Im being critical.....

Oval
Like the others have said, it works well for the theme. I just feel you could maybe have done a bit more with it. The droplet looks a bit misty/dull and a nice catchlight would have been nice, but it was a dull damp day, so i suppose you take what you can and move on.

Week 14 - Straight

Spent this week on the north coast of Cornwall. I wanted to get a shot of something to remind me of the fact I was on holiday here. This is a place called Steppers Point near Padstow and opposite Polzeath. It's a place I have seen from a distance from when I used to go on holiday here as a kid, but have never been to. So took a long trek around the coast to find the building right on the edge of the cliff. The building it's self is not straight. It leans. And it's tapered. But the horizon is straight I think. And technically the building goes straight up. And the wall is straightish. Bit of a shoehorn but hey. Plus I got to use the new Samyang 14mm lens. Happy days.

Straight lowres.jpg

Better quality picture on Flickr as per usual.

Thanks for looking.

Perhaps a slight shoe horn for the theme but well composed, good sky

So sorry for your loss, well done for getting out and about at a difficult time.
Juxta - good low pov, and it works well with the contrast between light pebble and the dark pebbles.
Oval - nice take on the theme, works well and looks nice and sharp to me.
Straight - a beautiful image and its lovely and sharp tiny little bit of a shoehorn, but its another box ticked.

Straight works for me Sir, well framed, with good colour, and easily on theme.(y)

George.

Straight as Chris says maybe a slight shoehorn but still a great image nice use the wall as a leading line. Nice sky too

Great composition, great colours, and even the tower is straight enough for the theme!

Straight
I like it, it's a good composition, nice sky and a good leading line in.

Back