Monthly rpn's 2013-12 E.T.C. Challenge - December 12.4 Writings on Photo Added

Hi Stan, sorry it's taken a while to comment.

I really like those, and do think they tell a story. I think the processing is fine, and anyway it's a very personal thing.

Number one is possibly the weakest; without the processing and it's place in the story, it might not be much more than a snap. Four and five are superb!

Hi, Stan, June works well. Can't decide between #4 and #5, but I'll go for #5, well crafted set but I prefer them in one panel, IYSWIM.

July, oh, yeah, that works for me. Uneven light. Uneven composition and cracking BG. I'm on iPad so will have a closer loot when on laptop (y)

Cheers.

I really like that Stan. I especially like that the same guy appears in both of the beach panels, the slight misalignment, and the way the shape of your montage complements the composition. Great framing too :)

Really liking all your July set. I am so pleased that you are giving them all a go

And yes, your 360 is exactly how I meant so while it is a conventional panorama, it's not just a section of it but one that you turn in a full circle to take. I can see that it joins at either end. I think I might like to see you give it another go with less trees as the detail and interest gets a little lost

I love your reflection shot Stan: I can't fault it :)

I also like your panorama, but agree with Kelly about the trees. Do you not pack a chainsaw in your camera bag? Where's your commitment man!?

Joiner effect, wasn't sure at first....mainly because if the different lighting...but it's grown on me. Great composition! Good detail and frame.

Reflection, yeah, on theme and nice detail. Just feels a tad tight for me.

Panorama, good detail and I like that you've got the red door at the extreme LHS and RHS. Trees....yeah, would be good to see the building.

Cheers.

Hi, Stan, Sequence is a cracker. Really well processed. I did a tight crop to isolate the keeper and preferred it.

Hip photograph, on theme, but feels a tad empty.

Cheers.

July theme 6, Selfie – Now and Then.

Don’t usually find me in front of a camera lens so I’m actually behaving quite oddly here by standing still and getting my photo taken! I’ve done this selfie shot earlier this year for another photo project but decided to do it again this month to keep in the spirit of the monthly challenge. I put up both versions for you all to critique.

7.6 Creative Self-Portrait

Hi Stan, sequence is fantastic. I might have stopped it at the kick for a little more dynamism, but it's hard to fault :)

From the hip I'm not so sure about. It's a nice shot, but it's not saying a lot to me I'm afraid.

Self portrait is brilliant! I like the second one best, as your expression is less strained. B&W was a flash of genius; looks great!

Your sequence has come out really well , i do think i tighter crop may improve it further though.

I like your idea for your self portrait, I prefer the first version, the tighter crop and more texture/contrast showing in the clothing adds a bit over the 2nd

Please ignore, image removed, not quite 'on theme' and jumped the gun :) Will resubmit in later month. I hope :)

Done this shot couple of time before for other project and also trying out the technique. Here's my first submission for August.

One of my previous version can be found in my 500px account below or here

8.1 Cinematic Scene - American Beauty

Last edited:
I like your dear photograph, I can't crit it as I don't think that type of photo can be.

You've lined everything up well and got the focus as best you can (y)

I can't see your fisheye effect (unless it's a little square with a question mark in it :D ;) )

Hi, Stan :wave:

Dear photo, works for me and you've done to get focus. I can see that the roof of the main building is the same size, but the fence loos much further away in the older photograph. I suspect that would have been a nightmare to correct.

Fisheye, yeah, on theme and you've done well to get it all in the frame. I think I'd like see see it a bit more extreme, IYSWIM.

Cheers and 4 more to go :D

I like your dear photograph, I can't crit it as I don't think that type of photo can be.

You've lined everything up well and got the focus as best you can (y)

I can't see your fisheye effect (unless it's a little square with a question mark in it :D ;) )

Hi, Stan :wave:

Dear photo, works for me and you've done to get focus. I can see that the roof of the main building is the same size, but the fence loos much further away in the older photograph. I suspect that would have been a nightmare to correct.

Fisheye, yeah, on theme and you've done well to get it all in the frame. I think I'd like see see it a bit more extreme, IYSWIM.

Cheers and 4 more to go :D

Thanks Mark and Andy,

I tried to get the main feature i.e. the roof to line up the best as I could. To replicate most other features would be quite difficult giving the focal length and distance to subject etc.

Here's another Fisheye image with more extreme 'Bend' applied.

Hi Stan, I like your dear photo one. Yes the focal lengths are different, but I think you've got it nicely aligned anyway, and I like the colours. I think these shots should be judged on how well they convey the personal history, and yours does that very well indeed.

Fisheye one I don't think works :(. If it were actually taken using a fisheye lens I think you'd think it was a test shot, not one that used the lens' characteristics to best effect, and I think that's what this theme demands; a shot/subject that looks like it should and would have been taken with a fisheye in the "real world".

Fisheye two is better. I still don't think it's a subject that demands a fisheye, but at least in this one the sky and the sea benefit from the treatment :)

Very clever Stan! I like them both equally as takes on the theme, but think the first one is technically better. The lightegg isn't instantly recognisable as an egg (having the kite mark stamp visible might have helped?), though once you realise it's obvious, and I think the background is a little too dark for my liking; I'd prefer it to be a bit whiter, with the debris from the shell being a little clearer.

Saw these on my phone but waited for bigger views before I commented.

#1 is a good take but it doesn't have the wow factor that #2 has. Really good take on the theme and overall well executed. I'd like to see a closer crop, thought. Not sure if you could have got it any brighter as looks a tad dark on iPad. The shell bits in th front look slightly OOF.

Overall, made me smile and as said cracking idea :)nono:).

Cheers.

I like your dear photography shot it very well lined out and the focus is clear on both the photo and the background.

I think the light egg is the better of your two ordinary object ideas, not sure why just looks more interesting to me and I like the lighting.

I like the concept for your scale shot improving the focus and not chopping the feet off i think would add to it.

Back