weekly Sam_W Project 52 for 2013 - Gluttony and Time added.

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Welcome to my thread for 2013 project 52.

I found last year that the camera was spending more time in the bag than out with me. So I have taken up the challenge/opportunity to get a 52 going, im hoping this will inspire me to get out with the camera and to learn new techniques.

I’ve got other challenges thoughtout the year of starting a new job in a new city just after March so hopefully I can keep on top of the themes/deadlines :)

Flickr Photostream

2013 THEMES

Week 1 : Sin
Week 2 : Season
Week 3 : Gravity
Week 4 : Wild
Week 5 : Space
Week 6 : Work
Week 7 : Gluttony
Week 8 : Time
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Please be nice its my first time :)

Last edited:
Hi Sam...welcome to the 521's madhouse........we're always nice in here (y)

Look forward to seeing your shots :)

Week 1 - Sin.

Week 1 - Sin by ES Walters, on Flickr

This was going to be a back-up image in case I couldn't get the shot I wanted but it looks like I wont get the shot I wanted.

My main learning point from the photo is the making of a Snoot to try and get a localised flash point.

Hope you like it

Cheers
Sam

:clap: I really like this, nice idea.

Like the way you have set up the lighting and the shadow of the pen on the paper. Not sure about the coloured tabs on the notepad though but that's just me!

Cheers :) I thought the black and white version was a bit plain. I'm still playing with it in Photoshop so I may post an edited version later on.

Hi Sam :)

That is a cracking image, Love the background and the way the desk blends into it, for me it's nicely set-up, well lit and I like the mainly monochrome items but with the coloured tabs... Great start (y)

Good luck on your 52, with a move and a new Job at least you will have lots of new stuff to explore :)

Any form of maths is a sin to me, although weirdly I don't find trig too bad. I think the selective black and white works here, the only thing I don't like is that your phone is the same as mine, makes me think I should be doing work!

Hi Sam :)

That is a cracking image, Love the background and the way the desk blends into it, for me it's nicely set-up, well lit and I like the mainly monochrome items but with the coloured tabs... Great start (y)

Good luck on your 52, with a move and a new Job at least you will have lots of new stuff to explore :)

Thanks for your comments, i must have taken about 30shots to get the lighting right :)

Any form of maths is a sin to me, although weirdly I don't find trig too bad. I think the selective black and white works here, the only thing I don't like is that your phone is the same as mine, makes me think I should be doing work!

When I first read the theme title its what popped into my head :s dont know if thats a good or a bad thing :)

nice pic it paid off all those attempts with the lighting looks great

'Ello, nice clarity throughout and the WB looks good. Nice splash of colour with the tabs.

Snoot might help with the lighting on the paper, it's just a tad darker on the RH side.

To simplify it, I'd remove the iPhone because I don't think it adds anything.

Good start. :clap:

All covered so far - great well lit shot...

I'm in the camp that says the phone is un-necessary, and the second pen while I'm at it!

But the idea is great, look forward to seeing the coming weeks.

Like this a lot! :) I had the same idea but you excecuted it a lot better.
Personally, I like the coloured tabs. it makes the whole image more eye-catching than had it all been mono.

Thanks for all the comments (y)

nice pic it paid off all those attempts with the lighting looks great

I know yer, the dog was getting bored of watching me by the end of it all though :wacky:

Like the idea, would a closer crop look better? So glad I chose to do this the ideas so far are great I'll have to up my game big time.

I tried a closer crop but it didnt quite work out. Thats the main reason I started this, Ive been lacking inspiration for my photos lately and this was the perfect spark to get the artistic juices flowing :s

Beautiful lighting and white balance looks spot on, I like the coloured tabs - ad the phone looks a familiar shape/colour as well

Cheers :)

'Ello, nice clarity throughout and the WB looks good. Nice splash of colour with the tabs.

Snoot might help with the lighting on the paper, it's just a tad darker on the RH side.

To simplify it, I'd remove the iPhone because I don't think it adds anything.

Good start. :clap:

I didnt notice the dark spot in the top corner until it was on the laptop. I put the phone in the photo because it was next to my workbook all the way though my HNC. So it was more of a personal touch than to add anything to the photo.

Very good! Lighting is looking very good, nice shadows. I agree with Andy about the phone, it kind ow works, but I wonder what it would be like without it.

Cheers for your comments :) See above comments about the phone :) but I will have a look at photoshoping it out if I get time.

All covered so far - great well lit shot...

I'm in the camp that says the phone is un-necessary, and the second pen while I'm at it!

But the idea is great, look forward to seeing the coming weeks.

Cheers for your comments :) See above comments about the phone :)

Like this a lot! :) I had the same idea but you excecuted it a lot better.
Personally, I like the coloured tabs. it makes the whole image more eye-catching than had it all been mono.

Thanks for your comment, I had the same reasoning for the coloured tabs.

very good take for the theme.. the lighting is spot on and I like the coloured tabs

Sam, I like this shot, focus, lighting and coloured file inserts give a contrast, spot on. Well thought out and taken.

Great shot, interesting and the use of colour is nice!

My only crit would be the shadow near the top of the triangle doesn't look right. Not sure what's caused that extra shadow though.

jamlid said:
Great shot, interesting and the use of colour is nice!

My only crit would be the shadow near the top of the triangle doesn't look right. Not sure what's caused that extra shadow though.

Cheers for the feedback, i think it was caused by a badly made snoot for the flash.

Week 2 - Season

Well I had all sorts of ideas but due to the snow not turning up until the day I leave for my block of shifts. But as I was packing I noticed the other half watching a film on the Ipad. To my luck she was watching Open Season and with a bit of asking I convinced her to rewind to the opening title scene. But when I arrived at my digs I found the internet was down until today :)

Week 2 - Season (a) by ES Walters, on Flickr

As aback up image I'm using a photo taken while walking the dog in a local woods at the start of the week. Taken with a GoPro Hero.

Week 2 - Season (b) by ES Walters, on Flickr

Couple of learning points from this week:
- Don't trust the weather man (I kinder knew this already)
- The girlfriend will help out sometimes :)

Cheers for looking, Now im 2 days behind on week 3 I need to do some catching up.

Tree pic is excellent can't really crit that at all the season (a) nice exposure on the screen and the figure, the open door in the BG is a little distracting and there is something on the wall by her face otherwise ok (y)

Tree pic is excellent can't really crit that at all the season (a) nice exposure on the screen and the figure, the open door in the BG is a little distracting and there is something on the wall by her face otherwise ok (y)

Cheers for the feedback, I was thinking about the door but I couldn't quite get it to look right. I think that's her hair coming from the top of the frame.

I like your start to the 52 Sam (y)
Sin, bang on theme, the controlled lighting onto the subject works well. I do like that look and am going to try it myself, cheers for the inspiration (y)

#2 for season gets my vote, I like the perspective and scale to this image but blue sky? Where'd that come from? :cautious: :LOL:

The ipad image works well too, you've handled the lighting well, obviously the ipad is the main subject but seeing your girlfriends features is a nice touch. The bright lock on the door is a little distracting but other than that, good work (y) Iain

Pic 2 is my fave. Love the colours in this. Especially on a cold day like today. Might give it a try at some point

'Ello, Season 1, doesn't do much for me. Season is on the ipad, but that's about it for me.

#2 however, is to my liking. Great perspective, nice and sharp, nice seasonal colours.

Cheers.

I like your start to the 52 Sam (y)
Sin, bang on theme, the controlled lighting onto the subject works well. I do like that look and am going to try it myself, cheers for the inspiration (y)

#2 for season gets my vote, I like the perspective and scale to this image but blue sky? Where'd that come from? :cautious: :LOL:

The ipad image works well too, you've handled the lighting well, obviously the ipad is the main subject but seeing your girlfriends features is a nice touch. The bright lock on the door is a little distracting but other than that, good work (y) Iain

Cheers for your feedback :)

It was my first time using a snoot for the off camera flash, so im glad it worked out well :)

I think Season B is my pick of the two but I keep changing my mind from day to day :s It was taken on Monday I think and the blue sky lasted all over 10minutes.

Pic 2 is my fave. Love the colours in this. Especially on a cold day like today. Might give it a try at some point

It was a spur of the moment photos, I found a small opening in the trees while my dog was off chasing squirrels. So I grabbed a few photos and luckly when I uploaded them to the Ipad they worked out well.

'Ello, Season 1, doesn't do much for me. Season is on the ipad, but that's about it for me.

#2 however, is to my liking. Great perspective, nice and sharp, nice seasonal colours.

Cheers.

Cheers for your comments :)

2 great shots for season.. but i'm another going with the trees.. fab POV and like the colours.. wonderful..

Cheers for your comments, currently working on this weeks theme :)

Week 3 - Gravity

So after along think about how to tackle the theme I came up with these photos, please let me know what you think:

1:

Week 3 - Gravity 1 by ES Walters, on Flickr

2: A tighter crop of the first photo, not sure which one I prefer.

Week 3 - Gravity 2 by ES Walters, on Flickr

3: I tried capturing the liquid when it first came out of the bottle but missed it so a second shot caught the last few drips.

Week 3 - Gravity 3 by ES Walters, on Flickr

Comments and Criticism as always

Cheers
Sam

p.s. Don't worry no red wine was waste in the creating of the images ;)

Sam, really interesting take. I prefer the third one, as I found the first two rather disquieting. A bit like a fat red tongue poking out.

How you catch these micro instants is beyond me! Well done...

Hi, Sam, #1 for more me. You've really frozen the wine. Good idea.

I'd like to see the wine a bit further out. If you had a nice crisp white BG it would be much better.

1/80 second..I thought it would be faster. Did you use any flash?

Cheers.

second wine shot if the BG was better the 3rd one is ok too but for the hand in view might be better if it was cropped out but nice work anyhow (y)

Hi Sam

loe the Tree shot for Seaon...really good exposure , lovely POV & a few splashes of color...lovely (y)

Gravity....#2 for without a doubt...you've frozen the motion perfectly , good color & crop... (y) Backgropunds are what they are but maybe a large baking tray could help ?

Back