weekly SamW - first year of photography 52 week 11 added - Artificial

I like that, nice idea for the theme, good use of DoF, took me a moment to see what was hiding.

That works very well Sam - well thought out. Like the composition and DoF. (Great texture in that table - definitely should be part of your "studio").

Thanks a lot, it's actually just our normal table that wobbles loads and probably needs to be thrown out ;)

I like that, nice idea for the theme, good use of DoF, took me a moment to see what was hiding.

Thanks, appreciate you looking and commenting :)

Really like this one Sam ...excellent idea, love the composition and the DOF ...one of my favourites for the week :clap:

Wow thanks a lot! That's so nice of you! :)

Clever take ... and it took me a minute to get it.

I like the composition and use of DOF and despite the fact that I figured out what was hiding, it still took a moment to find it!

Hi Sam - that is a cracker for me. It really grabs you and draws you in with that super shallow DOF and the bright colours of the cards. Composition works very well for me. A top, top shot - sometimes the most straightforward ideas work the best and this is a case in point. One of the best submissions for the theme, this (for me) :clap:

Yep fabulous Camouflage image. I really struggled to find this and if i'm honest I read the second post to point me in the right direction.
Very clever.

Gaz

Clever take ... and it took me a minute to get it.

I like the composition and use of DOF and despite the fact that I figured out what was hiding, it still took a moment to find it!

Thank you for the comment! :)

Yep fabulous Camouflage image. I really struggled to find this and if i'm honest I read the second post to point me in the right direction.
Very clever.

Gaz

Thanks, much appreciated :)

Hi Sam - that is a cracker for me. It really grabs you and draws you in with that super shallow DOF and the bright colours of the cards. Composition works very well for me. A top, top shot - sometimes the most straightforward ideas work the best and this is a case in point. One of the best submissions for the theme, this (for me) :clap:

Wow thanks a lot, that is so kind of you :)

A good theme and a good shot for me. Lovely DoF and nice, vibrant colours. Well done :)

hi Sam, great shot for the Camouflaged theme, works very well. Like the DoF

DangerousDSC_0378 by sam withers, on Flickr

We went to chester zoo, thought this was quite fitting! Lighting was pretty bad so quite happy with this, it was through glass and i was standing behind someone! Looks better on flickr!

Last edited:
I like camouflage a lot, lovely depth of field and the diamond blends in well.

Dangerous - overall a nice shot, I think it would also have worked for camouflage :) the eye seems a little soft. I think the focus may have missed slightly as it appears sharper to the left of the frame. (y)

Blimey! Is that what I think it is? An amazing capture and extraordinary colour. (y)

Certainly fitting for the theme and you've captured it beautifully!

Blooming good POV - think I'd have camera shake being down that low and with those beady eyes on me. Definitely dangerous. Nicely taken :clap:

Blooming good POV - think I'd have camera shake being down that low and with those beady eyes on me. Definitely dangerous. Nicely taken :clap:
Certainly fitting for the theme and you've captured it beautifully!
Not a bad shot, a little bit of a shame that the nose is cut off.
I do especially like the fronds that are pointing the beastie out :)
Dangerous - yip it's a good take on the theme, great capture.
Blimey! Is that what I think it is? An amazing capture and extraordinary colour. (y)
I like camouflage a lot, lovely depth of field and the diamond blends in well.

Dangerous - overall a nice shot, I think it would also have worked for camouflage :) the eye seems a little soft. I think the focus may have missed slightly as it appears sharper to the left of the frame. (y)

Thanks for all the comments, appreciate it :)

Dangerous....Excellent for the theme Sam.
Even without the topic, I love it for the abstract nature of the water and reflections.

Hi Sam :)

Camouflage - Took me a second or two to spot that naughty diamond, a very effective low PoV and perfect use with the DoF, a nice bright image too :)

Dangerous - Shame there is no teeth in view, but guess he didn't want to play game, good idea for the theme for sure, and well captured considering :)

Hi Sam, that's definitely dangerous! I love the low POV as well - it's a shame the focus is very slightly off although with a bit of selective aggressive sharpening in post you might be able to recover the eye etc. Great take. A very slightly wider shot might have worked as well, but I do like it as is. Great job!

Sorry catching up

Abandoned - right on theme Not something you would expect to see in a modern housing estate.
Camouflage - took a bit of spotting Like the dof
Dangerous- great shot as Tim says shame about his nose but I really like it

An Otter Gob shot, excellent (y)

Catching up:

Camouflage - a very good idea, took me a while to see it.
Dangerous - Love the low POV and the reflections.
Topical - well done for catching up, nothing wrong with doing something that has been done before. Nice shallow DOF and the focus has been caught perfectly.
Living world - Those look like some sharp teeth. The shadow is a bit harsh but not a lot you can do about that while shooting at a zoo. Nice detail in the face though.

Edible props always appeals to me ....as my waistline testifies. Nice DoF and I like the composition with the wording still identifiable but falling off into the bg. Really like the Otter shot for the Living World - great close up, the blue/green bg work well together and the drama and detail in the animal itself is terrific. :clap:

Back