SBenn's TP 52 in 2016 (Metal, Personal & Horizontal Added)

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All.
I'm Sam, still on the learning "Stage" but then aren't we all. Started this obsession (as Mrs B puts it) in the summer and then ironically a snapped wrist stopped me in my tracks. But I'm hoping my first TP 52 will bring it back and I'll absorb and learn from the shots i take and the constructive points i get from you good folks! I must be mad signing up when I'm moving house tomorrow (yet another posting) however my destination (London) can only assist with regards to current or future themes.

I will visit as many threads as possible and learn from the high standards within them I'm sure.

Good luck and Lets have some fun!

Week 0 Old
Week 1 Metal:cool:
Week 2 Captive
Week 3 Miniature :cool:
Week 4 Happy:cool:
Week 5 Abandoned :cool:
Week 6 Camouflage(d)
Week 7 Danger(ous) :cool:
Week 8 Topical :cool:
Week 9 The Living World :cool:
Week 10 Spiky:cool:
Week 11 Artificial :cool:
Week 12 Personal:cool:
Week 13 Effort
Week 14 Technology
Week 15 Horizontal:cool:

Last edited:
Hi Sam. Something amiss with the link with the main page - I got here the long way .... via your profile. Welcome to the challenge - hope you enjoy and, like me, learn lots. Catch up in your own time. Good start with Abandoned - looks every bit of it. Like the b&w conversion with the dramatic look it gives with those spooky corners and the gritty feel. :clap:

Hi Sam. Something amiss with the link with the main page - I got here the long way .... via your profile. Welcome to the challenge - hope you enjoy and, like me, learn lots. Catch up in your own time. Good start with Abandoned - looks every bit of it. Like the b&w conversion with the dramatic look it gives with those spooky corners and the gritty feel. :clap:

Thanks Carl. Yeah was having trouble with the coding but all sorted now. Wasn't sure if the area further in was a verging on being dark/contrasting i don't know....i maybe being over critical of my own shot , i'm not sure.... :)

Last edited:
Hi Sam
The link is working now :)
What is it? It looks like it may be an old carpark?
I would say it could do with lightening the shadows a bit as I can't make out any detail in them.
Welcome to the 52 :)

Hi Sam

Good start, wide angle works well, uprights look good.

Hi Sam and welcome to the 52's and a brilliant image to start will. Perfect for the abandoned theme. I like everything about this image, good perspective and exposure.

Wow! Thank you all for your comments!... I'll catch up eventually, just moved house (again) and start new job tomorrow....so could be hectic for a bit. Yes it was an "abandoned" level of my local IKEA multistory ;)

Hi Sam, I really like abandoned. It's a superb capture and perfectly on theme. Use of light and dark makes the image very interesting and intruiging... is it abandoned back there? Really smart composition and just one of those images that works. This is really high quality :clap:

That looks like a very abandoned car park, well spotted. I like that there is lots of detail in the image with the tree, signs and fencing etc, there is quite a bit to look at in an "empty" location :)

Welcome Sam.
Your image for Abandoned works well, and would also suit the theme for Dangerous too!
Places like that give me the willies!

Thanks All For your comments so far....heres a few more...by all means comment how you see them:)

So Week 8 being Topical i went for rain/dew thanks to our British weather, i also chose this one on the basis i like the way the light bounces off the droplets.:D

Week 9 - Reckon this covers the Living World with regards to pollination (spelling might be out there) :) Sam

Drops (Topical Wk8) by Sam B, on Flickr

The Living World -Week 9 by Sam B, on Flickr
On closer inspection my efforts to tone down the brightness to highlight the bee/fly/insect of the winged variety - may have "ruined" the effort/effect i was aiming for. Apologies and mistake conceded ;)

Last edited:
Yep, they both work for their themes Sam. Topical is an abstract - I too like the way the light plays on the droplets. :clap:

Hi Sam, I do like the water drops - very alluring image as the lighting/highlights are spot on for me. Whilst the spot for Living World is a very good one, I can't help but feel the processing or exposure has weakened the overall image. Not much that can be done about blown highlights (there is one naughty trick that can be used in post but it's not ideal) and it's a shame when that happens - although we've all suffered at its hands before!

Whilst the spot for Living World is a very good one, I can't help but feel the processing or exposure has weakened the overall image. Not much that can be done about blown highlights (there is one naughty trick that can be used in post but it's not ideal) and it's a shame when that happens - although we've all suffered at its hands before!

Yes processing on my part has bodged the image. My aim initially was to lower the brightness slightly due to the flower white glaring back...over done I reckon and to be honest I realised my boo boo the minute I uploaded it. We all learn I guess!

Thanks Again All

Last edited:
Yes processing on my part has bodged the image. My aim initially was to lower the brightness slightly due to the flower white glaring back...over done I reckon and to be honest I realised my boo boo the minute I uploaded it. We all learn I guess!

Thanks Again All

Don't worry - these things happen. Best of all is we learn from them (and still find they happen, just hopefully less frequently).

If you think any of us are out taking great pictures all the time then you're mistaken :) (Ok, maybe I should only speak for myself there...)

Soooo little busier lately.....playing catch up. - Comments as usual people, Cheers!! - although Paul yours are becoming a little too frequent on my thread (y):D

Danger - on the basis that i felt in it whilst taking this shot.....This subject is going to redone asit hasn't come out aswell as i was going for....

Dangerous by Sam B, on Flickr

Something different for "Spikey" - Had to do some crazy contortion to get the right one..

Spikey- Week 10 by Sam B, on Flickr

Mrs B has been pestering (as they do) for me to use her dust collectors (read flowers) for this subject....thinking i've nailed this one (always the optimist eh!)

Artificial - Week 11 by Sam B, on Flickr

Last edited:
I see what you mean by the ally being dangerous, still maybe a reshoot might loose the element od danger. Spiky is a good images, sharp and I like the composition. Artificial is good and like the angle you have shot this at. Maybe a touch dark but good DoF

Hi Sam...

The alleyway certainly feels ominous. I think you can get away with the underexposure and softness as part of the story on that one... just ;)
Spiky is great - you've nailed focus which is difficult with such shallow DOF and the composition is very simple which just works (simple = good a lot of the time, like this). You could perhaps pull the exposure or contrast up, to make some of those mid-greys lighter greys, but it's a good image as is (y)
Artificial is neatly done because you can tell it's artificial - you've caught the texture of the material the petals are made out of. I do think the lighting could be something you look to revisit - partly because there are interesting shapes and textures so a bit of experimentation on that might be quite good fun.

Good job so far - looking forward to more of yours :)

Danger works OK and the processing certainly suits it too (y)

Hi Sam well done for keeping up, I think Danger work well it does look very spooky.

Spiky is my favourite of the three ...really effective, love DOF.

Artificial ...I think it would benefit from a bit more light, but as I did a poppy as well I must say great minds think alike :)

Hi Sam.. Yep, that alleyway does look dark and Dangerous. Like Spiky for all the reasons others have mentioned - it is my fave of the set too for it's simplicity and exposure. Artificial works for the theme so spot on.

The drops on that round surface make a pleasing image.

The white poppy (?) I like. I can see the textures, but only just.

i agree with Carl that spiky is definitely my favourite here - the dof works so well and you've really captured the textures of the mat. I'd like to see some more light on the poppy, too but it's a nice composition with the stem leading out of the frame.

Love the drops shot Sam. Tried it before with epic fail results myself :LOL:

Danger's not really working for me, but then again on looking at it, I wouldn't be venturing up there, so you must be doing OK!

Spiky I like....great focus. Arificial I like too, though I think I might have healed out the couple of little dusty bits :)

Another one....slick eyes amongst you will realise i've played with additional lighting (be it right or wrong thought i'd give it a whirl and add something different to what could be a bog standard shot)... with a little thanks to Paul...This light marlarky is addictive and dangerous. . Secondly, the subject - A resin model horse (one of Mrs B's obsession and life). £80 worth of resin and paint this! :eek: Comments welcome as always . Sam :p

Miniature - Wk 3 by Sam B, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Sam, and welcome aboard. I've only just seen your thread and you're doing well with your catch-up, especially as you've been moving house and job!

Favourites so far for me are Topical, with those lovely shapes, textures and highlights, and Spiky, where you've done really well to get down at the right angle and then nail the focus on such a tricky subject. Nice work (y)

Very well done Sam. Like the subject and composition. Be better if the horse was in sharp focus though.

Very well done Sam. Like the subject and composition. Be better if the horse was in sharp focus though.

Cheers Carl. To be honest I thought the focus was pretty spot on but could be my dodgy eyes. 5p out of focus showing DOF. I did take shots earlier today pinged them over to the laptop and they vanished out of the folder. Loads of decent shots to choose from showing DOF with another model in the shot aswell as the 5p & 10p to show the minute size. Ahh well one of them. ☺

Back