Sculptures - An open thread

Belgium...

7J1OzDD.jpg

I always liked this one...

DEXH0nP.jpg

This artwork, called 'The Knife Angel' is doing a tour of the UK. At present it's standing in the grounds of Gloucester cathedral. It’s 8.2m [27’] high, weighs 3.5 tons and was created by Alfie Bradley at the Iron Works Centre Oswestry and was completed in 2018. It’s made up of 100,000 seized and surrendered knives from 43 police forces across the UK. To the side, on the railings are two 4' X 4' canvases with photos of some of the victims. Police-recorded 282 murders involving a knife or sharp instrument in England and Wales in the 12 months to March 2022. This is the highest total since 1946 and 51 teenagers were murdered with a knife or sharp object in the 12 month to March 2022. The police had a presence close by where visitors could speak with them if they so-wished and there was a collection bin for knives. Whilst I was there two school teachers had brought a large group of 10/12 year olds to see it.

It has a range of coloured lights that continually change.
20.The Knife Angel.jpg

19.The Knife Angel.jpg
22b.The Knife Angel.jpg

29.The Knife Angel.jpg

Attachments

• 19.The Knife Angel.jpg
    19.The Knife Angel.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I returned in the evening to photopgraph the lights. I tried to clone out the street lamp, bottom right but it was too difficult because of the rays and it's infront of a bedroom window. There was also a background of city centre orange street lights 'glowing' in the back ground. Sometimes you have to go with what's in situ.

23.The Knife Angel.jpg

24.The Knife Angel.jpg

25.The Knife Angel.jpg

26.The Knife Angel .jpg

27.The Knife Angel.jpg

Back