weekly Sgavenge's 52 Week 7 Sense Added

I quite like this too Gav (y) I would have liked to see the flaky paint clean away from the eyes, making them more prominent :)

But probably not worth risking getting arrested for criminal damage though :D

Great interpretation for Close, good job I wasn't around just begs for you to start pulling pieces off it.:D

Close - It has already been said but a bit closer getting thay texture of the stone filling the frame.

Hi Gav

no crit form me on this one , love the detail in it & use of DOF :clap:

Week 5 - "Smoke"
I spotted this sign down the side street next to what used to be "Sippers" public house in Lincoln. I thought it was an allowable twist on the theme. Don't see too many of these around now.
Edited in Lightroom and then PS Elements.

Smoke Room by sgavenge, on Flickr

Well spotted Gav (y), certainly on theme, suites the B&W, makes it look from a time when there was such a thing!

Bubble - nicely on theme. I bet you enjoyed taking that one!

Smoke - unusual sign. I like the symmetry of it and the b/w conversion

Really like the Smoke picture - and not a whiff of incense about it :D

nice catch for bubbles - are they real cider bubbles? or fairly liquid ones placed there for the shot??

Sometimes finding a simple way out of a tricky theme is the way to go.... nice crop just going round the edges of the bars.

Hi as above simple and effective and a nice B+W conversion and no smoke to be seen :clap:

Hi Gav :)

Bubbles - Works very well, can see the fleece only slightly, but very well lit and works great for me (y)

Smoke - Nice idea, simple but clean, crisp and bang on theme - Like it :)
Many thanks Dark Knight.

Just catching up on your thread, sorry I've not commented sooner.

Bubble - Great shot, nicely lit looks like your getting on well with those YN622's!! Only minor crit is I'd probably have cloned those little bits of reflected light out.

Smoke - Well done, something different for the theme I like it and looks good in mono. I'm surprised I've not seen it around before!

Nice work mate (y)

Well spotted Gav (y), certainly on theme, suites the B&W, makes it look from a time when there was such a thing!
Thanks Phil, much appreciated. Hopefully they will keep the window when they refurbish the Pub

Really like the bubbles pic, clean and eye catching.....well done for spotting the smoke sign...black and white suits it perfectly.
Thanks Susie. I was unsure whether to go B&W with the smoke theme but like you say it fits in better I think too.

I like your smoke room, I've been out looking for one of those with no luck, well found, fits the theme beautifully (y)(y)
Thanks Judi. It's a lucky find that one. Great timing too. Cheers

Bubble - nicely on theme. I bet you enjoyed taking that one!

Smoke - unusual sign. I like the symmetry of it and the b/w conversion
Many Thanks... The Cider needed mopping up and disposing of. I had to waste the first bottle as I didn't shake it enough to get the fizzy stuff out. Amazing how much I had to shake it to get it to fizz.

Bubble - Nice shot, I would have maybe pulled sleeve up as it sort of looks like the hand is in mid air a bit :thinking:
Smoke - Great shot this and liking the B/W (y)
Thanks Michael. I think you're right about the sleeve. Perhaps looked better before I did the final crop. I think B&W works well on the Smoke

nice catch for bubbles - are they real cider bubbles? or fairly liquid ones placed there for the shot??

Sometimes finding a simple way out of a tricky theme is the way to go.... nice crop just going round the edges of the bars.
Hi Graham. Took me ages to square up the window in Lightroom. I thought I'd taken it square on in the first place but so hard to frame it sometimes. many thanks

Just catching up on your thread, sorry I've not commented sooner.

Bubble - Great shot, nicely lit looks like your getting on well with those YN622's!! Only minor crit is I'd probably have cloned those little bits of reflected light out.

Smoke - Well done, something different for the theme I like it and looks good in mono. I'm surprised I've not seen it around before!

Nice work mate (y)
Thanks Simon. I was in two minds about cloning out the reflections. I took out some of the distractions especially on the backdrop.
YN622's seem to work well. Are you metering, compensating, then shooting camera in manual too? I used the flash in manual turned down to 1/8th I think? Took some later of something else keeping the camera in TV mode and dialling in -2 stops with flash in manual. Just experimenting really.

Sippers is outside the Main Works site where I first started. Just before Pelham Bridge.
Cheers

Are you metering, compensating, then shooting camera in manual too?
Yes everything manually (y)

I used the flash in manual turned down to 1/8th I think? Took some later of something else keeping the camera in TV mode and dialling in -2 stops with flash in manual. Just experimenting really.
All about experimenting mate, some of the best shots come from experimentation. Hope your finding those PDFs useful (y)

Back