weekly SiblingChris' 52 in 2013

Hi Chris
big catch up there,
MELT, i have the very same yellow figures used them earlier on in the 52
LEFT, works for me I think the crop is fine and the blown highlights in this case work
FOOD, prefer the first one though they are both good images
ART, bullring shot for me I think its a great looking building

Hi Chris :)

Melt - Now that made me smile :D a great fun shot, good DoF and Colour... like it :)

Left - I think the tables are a bit blown BUT also feel that works fine with the image, the empty tables work really well

Food - a couple of great shots there, REALLY liking the first one, looks like you were right in the cabinet, love the angle, lighting and the colours... spot on :clap:

Art - For me it's the Bull Ring, I like images like this, maybe a bit tight at the top, but a good blue sky too :)

Good catch up in progress mate (y)

Great job there Chris - not a bad one among them!

The melting man's a nice humourous shot, well done for keeping his foot in shot.

You were right with your choices for left, yep the tables are well and truly blown, but they would be with the shiny surface and the strong sunlight. But it adds a great deal more than it takes away. Reminds me of my Chess board for beginning. (y)

The first food is a cracker - great POV, reflections left and top working brilliantly, and the inclusion of the scales and the serving girl all adding. Shot through the "glass" too was it??

I'm also likeing the first for art - the focus on the sign on the glass with the OOF inside is super.

The Nottingham Contemporary... Is that your flip?? Or like that in real life??

Thanks all for comments so far, particularly because I have been so bad on that front in terms of reciprocating

Great job there Chris - not a bad one among

The first food is a cracker - great POV, reflections left and top working brilliantly, and the inclusion of the scales and the serving girl all adding. Shot through the "glass" too was it??

Yes...surprisingly, I just had a UV filter attached no polariser and thankfully no reflections where unwanted. I was maybe a couple of feet away, but it looks like I'm inside the display :)

The Nottingham Contemporary... Is that your flip?? Or like that in real life??

It's like that in real life...it's art dontchyaknow? ;)

Last edited:
HI Chris

your little yellow man melting made me smile....love that shot :)

Art...torn between the Bullring shot which is awesome...lovely blue sky ,super curve going out of the frame bottom rh corner :clap:

Food....you had me at chocolates...they look scrummy....as DK said....really well taken shot that makes it seem like you were in the cabinet (y)

Left...a good spot , the blown bits do work in this image (y)

so, in a last sprint towards the finish I'm going to post a few to catch-up again, which I have to admit I'm not totally happy with. However if I keep fannying around I will still be trying to finish this 52 at Easter!

wedge well and truly out for these too! :)

Week 47 - Friendship

A few too many in one hit for me to crit in one session Chris, so I will just do the last one I hope you don't mind! but well done on the catch up.

Your Autofocus seems to have latched on to some poo hanging in a tree? Possible suggestions for improvements would include supporting a better team! :LOL: Merry Christmas. :D

A few too many in one hit for me to crit in one session Chris, so I will just do the last one I hope you don't mind! but well done on the catch up.

Your Autofocus seems to have latched on to some poo hanging in a tree? Possible suggestions for improvements would include supporting a better team! :LOL: Merry Christmas. :D

:plus1:, Nice Amp though(y)

Bit harsh there Mr of_Bozeat... 'specially when you;re taking inspiration from there for your latest submission!

cat's a bit meh to be honest...

amp is much better, spot of DOF and focus point, good use of the lines coming in, was thinking the red light to the rear is a bit much, but the smaller ones give a nice lead into it so it doesn;t jar as much.

the bauble in the tree, 4th xmas decoration I've seen in here, the red pops nicely, and looks nice and festive in the green tree, liking the little lights in there too/ (y)

Fantasy.

well "oh dear" is all I can say about this one. Not a great photo and a rather poorly executed Photoshop. all that can be said is that its a bit of fun!
Can you tell we're in the final run-in? :)

swiftly moving on.....

Love the bullring shot; composition and tones are fab and it works in colour brilliantly whereas most architectural shots would be rendered in black and white.

I love the melt one as the little yellow guy somehow comes over as quite cocky in his field of melting ice.

On Fantasy, I like the way you've cast yourself as a Sith Lord. Bit of wish-fulfilment in the fantasy? :)

Hi
Nice work on the fantasy image as you say not the best photoshopping but fun, have to say like Lynne I didnt see you either

Well done Chris - looks like you've pretty much made it. 2 more to go.

I really admire you doing this all with the one lens, I've used mine quite a few times, but there's a number of weeks I would have struggled, so for that you deserve and extra well done.

Well done Chris - looks like you've pretty much made it. 2 more to go.

I really admire you doing this all with the one lens, I've used mine quite a few times, but there's a number of weeks I would have struggled, so for that you deserve and extra well done.

It's really given me a sense of what the lens is good at and also it's flaws. I don't think I would have learnt so much about working at that particular focal length so quickly otherwise.

There was one week I played a joker....it was on theme but not with the 35mm lens.
I plan in wrapping things up this week whilst I'm still off work and who knows I may even reshoot that week!

Last edited:
Another burst of action above then (y)

Friendship - Shame the sweet kitties ear is clipped, is there more room to the left ??

Sleek - Oooo very nice, really like that shot, a great angle, like the lights in the middle and the name has just about enough DoF (y)

Colour - Hahaaa now that is an odd bauble, perfect for the theme and was very festive too - Nice One :)

Fantasy - Fun image that mate, good to get the shot in, and even better having some PP practice !!!!

Not far to go now Chris :clap:

OK. After a few failed attempts for Fit, my late Christmas present seemed to fit the bill (sorry)

I quite liked the crumpled paper and the shadows within it created by an LED light off to the right. I am a bit of a sucker for the selective colour thing I'm afraid so not for the first time this year I've resorted to the selective red.

Can't wait to start using this lens, but I am not going to restrict my 52 to it in the same way I did this year with what was may new lens last Christmas (the 35mm f1.8g). One thing I did learn from my 35mm was that I really wanted to get much closer to the subjects than I really could hence the Sigma ended up on my list to Santa :)

"Water" the final shot for the year is to follow shortly.

Week 51 - Fit
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
OOOOhhhhhhh.....shiny new lens & a macro at that....welcome to possibly one of the most irritating , frustrating & most enjoyable area's of photograhy :clap:

Cheers :)
Think I need to sort myself out a flash now...made do with the built-in flash on the d7000 until now
Not sure whether to look at a speed lite (yongnuo) or a ring flash...I guess the former will be more versatile, but I seem to just be adding more stuff to carry...not to mention the expense!

Well done Chris - liking the SC on the macro lens, and the wtaer shot(s) I would never have beleived you could get with on-board flash and the 35mm lens! Really great. Even the high(ish) ISO (1000) not noticable at all.

Great end to the year.

Well done Chris - liking the SC on the macro lens, and the wtaer shot(s) I would never have beleived you could get with on-board flash and the 35mm lens! Really great. Even the high(ish) ISO (1000) not noticable at all.

Great end to the year.

Thanks. I used flash exposure compensation function on the d7000, set it at the minimum, got the shutter speed and ISO set to properly "freeze" the drops, then gradually increased the flash exposure setting to get it up to the right exposure level overall. I thought there would be too much reflection off the chrome but turned out ok.

I did apply some sharpening and quite a bit if NR in Lightroom afterwards, but actually the noise levels where not bad at all and if I had not done the cropped version (where noise was more visible) I probably would not have bothered with the NR at all.

Back