SiblingChris' TP52 in 2016 - weeks 9-11 added

So I didn't want to start the whole thing by not getting the first week done, no navel gazing, just get on with it!

I took a couple of test shots of this metal lampshade, then spent another hour setting up the shot properly with my tripod etc. I ended up binned them all except my first test shot which I thought was the best of the lot! ho-hum.....:naughty:

So here are two different edits of the same image, one a slightly de-saturated "soft glow" and the other an "infrared", cropped a little and not much else.

Cheers
Chris

Week 1 - Metal 1
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Week 1 - Metal 2
by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Hi Chris, i like both of these images, i think but may change i prefer the coloured shade the best, its the controlled exposure of the light bulb that makes it for me. Good luck completing your 52

Hi Chris. Like the write-up ... so often the case with me too. Nice novel image for Metal; great perspective, love the curves produced by the shade. My preference is for #2 as the bulb is much more clearly defined. :clap:

I like it - after some thought, I prefer the first version. The bulb looks interesting in the second exposure but the first shot is so much warmer, which to my mind better suits a picture of a lampshade.

I took a couple of test shots of this metal lampshade, then spent another hour setting up the shot properly with my tripod etc. I ended up binned them all except my first test shot which I thought was the best of the lot! ho-hum.....:naughty:

I've done that more times than I'd like to admit.

I like both shots but my slight preference would be the first one. I think it's that for me I would not expect to be able to see the detail on the bulb (like in #2) when the light is on so the first one looks more natural, I also prefer the warmer feel on the first one. The leading lines of the lamp up to the bulb works really well.

Whilst the bulb is clearer in the second I prefer warmer tones of the first one

I like the tones in the first shot and the clarity of the second - both serve to emphasise the lines and texture. Fabulous start and all the best with the 52.

Spooks

I often find it's hard to re-capture the feeling of a shot a second time around, thanks for the story. FWIW I Much prefer the second. (y)

Hi Chris the second shot for me Very nicely taken and processed.

Good start Chris. #1 shade for me, #2 bulb for me. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the comments. I expected divided opinion because my own also was.
@d00d - totally agree, exactly my own opinion, tried doing a combination of the two in post edit but it just didn't work.

I like both versions but No 1 is my favourite has a warmer feel to it the composition works well to as it leads you to the lightest part of the image

So I picked something really quite difficult to photo imho, what with all the horizontal and vertical lines, so as you might imagine, getting this as straight as possible was a bit of a nightmare!
Its a shame the "gargoyle" above the door could not be made visible; stepping to one-side just created too much of a perspective issue along with the straightening - it is what it is :)

Week 2 - Captive by Sibling Chris, on Flickr

Last edited:
Captive - you have done well to keep everything lined up, nicely on theme.

Miniature - really like that, the mini bear stands out really well against the big bear, the effect is enhanced I think by cropping the big bear.

Captive - you have done well to keep everything lined up, nicely on theme.

Miniature - really like that, the mini bear stands out really well against the big bear, the effect is enhanced I think by cropping the big bear.

Thanks. The crop was as shot, well almost! I needed about a 1 degree CCW rotation to get the blurred edge of the sofa down at the bottom straightened

Captive is very nicely thought through and taken Chris and b&w treatment is spot on for the image. Miniature bear is nicely composed without being overwhelmed by big brother bear. :clap:

Good catch up Chris.
Captive - I was going to ask about a re-compose to get the gargoyle between the bars of the gate, but evidently it wasn't going to work. Nicely on theme (y)
Miniature - This is the stronger of the catch up shots for me. I'm going to agree with @sirch, cropping the larger bear was the right thing to do in that it focuses you on the smaller one.

Your captive image is very nice and on theme, liking the miniature shot, good colour and DOf

Aaaw, who doesn't love a teddy bear and we've got 2 for the price of one here! Nice dof and detail on the mini-bear(y)

Hey Chris :)

Good to see you back for the 2016 challenge...

Captive - Ooooo very nice, although the keystone has the bar running through it, there is no way around that without ruining the effect, really liking the strong sharp horizontal lines against the soft verticals, a very effective image :)

Miniature - Aweeeee teddy bears ... only crit for me is the white patch along the bottom, other than that a great representation for the theme, and a real cute diddy ted (y)

Happy - Damn that is a nice bright image, super focus on the smilie ball, and a real nice colorful sweet bokeh background, got to say this is one of my favorites for the theme this week so far, love it :clap:

Thanks DK

On miniature that was the edge of the sofa where I had rested the lens. There was actually a little more of it in the original before I rotated it a little and I purposefully chose to include it :p

Back