Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

More tasty props used for Short :)
Liking this Chris, the use of DoF, the surface used, (as Allan says) the addition of the cup to add contrast and a splash of colour. (y)
Thanks Tim.

Fork in the road. Not a lot to add, went out for a nice drive, shot a couple of forks, liked this one best, no drama, no crisis, no hours of existential agonising, no suffering for my art, didn't forget the camera, sd card or anything :)

Fork by Chris H, on Flickr

Forked

It looks like one of those shots where a mirror has been used. Black and white works well, there's enough light and dark tones.

Forked

It looks like one of those shots where a mirror has been used. Black and white works well, there's enough light and dark tones.
I hadn't seen it like that but now you mention it it does a bit, it is quite a symmetrical junction especially in the foreground, thanks for looking.

Moor and moor I am getting into B&W photography especially landscapes, this is a good example of why. Really like the sky and the textures in this shot, spot on theme. Like the desolation of the spot and for me B&W does this best.

Moor and moor I am getting into B&W photography especially landscapes, this is a good example of why. Really like the sky and the textures in this shot, spot on theme. Like the desolation of the spot and for me B&W does this best.
Thanks Roger, it took me a while to appreciate the benefits of B&W for landscape, as you say it works well for some scenes.

Chris

Short Bread - Not so caloried laden as the other shortbread image by someone else( lost track of who) Nice details and good use of DOF with the tea cup.

Forked - clearly, but where too, left or right. Very nice image chris, B&W works very well. Plenty of details in the background and the sky adds drama.

Pete

Interesting shot Chris.
Evidently it isn't, but it's interesting that the road on camera right looks like it's been badly grafted on using PS. i think due to the feathering in the 'V' and because they are both straight.
Looks like the kind of road that took the sump off my A3 a couple of years ago (It was obviously the road, and not my driving ;) )
With the dark clouds, the mono processing suits it.

ETA: Looks like Dom had similar thoughts to me.

Chris

Short Bread - Not so caloried laden as the other shortbread image by someone else( lost track of who) Nice details and good use of DOF with the tea cup.

Forked - clearly, but where too, left or right. Very nice image chris, B&W works very well. Plenty of details in the background and the sky adds drama.

Pete
Thanks Pete

Interesting shot Chris.
Evidently it isn't, but it's interesting that the road on camera right looks like it's been badly grafted on using PS. i think due to the feathering in the 'V' and because they are both straight.
Looks like the kind of road that took the sump off my A3 a couple of years ago (It was obviously the road, and not my driving ;) )
With the dark clouds, the mono processing suits it.

ETA: Looks like Dom had similar thoughts to me.
Thanks Tim, it's always interesting how people see things differently

And here's a rubbish bin!. I bought myself a 4x5 view camera earlier this year but up until recently I have been using 120 roll film in it. But I finally got my act together and can now shoot and process 4x5 so this more a bit of practice than anything. I got this in one shot which I was happy about, especially with it costing something like £2 per exposure.

RubbishBin by Chris H, on Flickr

Refuse, like the B&W again, will be very interested to see your adventures with the new camera aswell. Sad to see what happened to former TV celebrity Dusty Bin though!

Rubbish bin for refuse is a good shot Chris, goes well in mono and like the gritty look to it and nice to see the wall is not blown.
Thanks Dave.

Forked, Lovely landscape Chris and a great find for the theme, b+w is a great choice here.

Refuse, I like it, again great use of b+w, and of course it's bang on theme. Looks like the 4x5 was a worthwhile purchase.
Thanks Michael

Refuse, like the B&W again, will be very interested to see your adventures with the new camera aswell. Sad to see what happened to former TV celebrity Dusty Bin though!
Thanks Roger, as you say a shame that so many celebs lets themselves go :D

A proper bin not one of your fancy wheelie type things, extra points for film would be interested to see more pics from the 4x5 will keep my eyes open on the film section

A proper bin not one of your fancy wheelie type things, extra points for film would be interested to see more pics from the 4x5 will keep my eyes open on the film section
Thanks Allan, that bin has been at the bottom of the garden since before we moved into the house and was probably put there when the wheely bin arrived. I knew it would come in for somehting one day :)

Here's the only other 4x5 I have published
One of my first on 4x5 film by Chris H, on Flickr

A few crop up in the film section but TBH it's such a faff that there are that many :)

I think I saw that image but wasn’t aware it was 4x5 definitely worth the faff occasionally. Is it more of a portrait or landscape camera do you feel

Just had a look on the internet and wish I hadn’t very tempting, must resist the urge

Last edited:
Just had a look on the internet and wish I hadn’t very tempting, must resist the urge
I wanted one for the “movements” i.e. tilt/shift, it’s a long story but in a nutshell when I was at college we had a few photography lessons and the lecturer pointed out that to avoid converging verticals in things like architecture you need the tilt/shift that you get from a view camera. It also lets you move the plane of focus around etc.

The negative is huge (35mm vs ~125mm) and therefore the quality is great and virtually no grain so from that point of view it’s good for anything that you want to blow up. I’ve tried a few portraits of my daughter on 120 and again the faff thing is a factor, I’m sure if you were paying a model they would be happy to sit for however long it took to get the thing focussed. With that massive negative comes wafer thin DoF and/or very small apertures that give long exposure times (the dustbin was shot at f22, ½ sec), flash would obviously help but most of affordable the lenses and shutters are quite old and mine seems to have flash sync issues. For landscapes, particularly buildings in the landscape and the like ti would be really good I think, my main use though is “studio” type stuff at the moment.

It is fun and it certainly slows you down and makes you think but do your research if you are tempted. These things are really camera Meccano kits, sometimes even shutters are separate from lenses and when I was looking there were plenty of “bodies” that didn’t have any of the other bits (dark slide, ground glass, lens/shutter, lensboard, etc) you also, obviously, need a light meter. I was lucky and got a complete system off fleabay at a fair price.

I wanted one for the “movements” i.e. tilt/shift, it’s a long story but in a nutshell when I was at college we had a few photography lessons and the lecturer pointed out that to avoid converging verticals in things like architecture you need the tilt/shift that you get from a view camera. It also lets you move the plane of focus around etc.

The negative is huge (35mm vs ~125mm) and therefore the quality is great and virtually no grain so from that point of view it’s good for anything that you want to blow up. I’ve tried a few portraits of my daughter on 120 and again the faff thing is a factor, I’m sure if you were paying a model they would be happy to sit for however long it took to get the thing focussed. With that massive negative comes wafer thin DoF and/or very small apertures that give long exposure times (the dustbin was shot at f22, ½ sec), flash would obviously help but most of affordable the lenses and shutters are quite old and mine seems to have flash sync issues. For landscapes, particularly buildings in the landscape and the like ti would be really good I think, my main use though is “studio” type stuff at the moment.

It is fun and it certainly slows you down and makes you think but do your research if you are tempted. These things are really camera Meccano kits, sometimes even shutters are separate from lenses and when I was looking there were plenty of “bodies” that didn’t have any of the other bits (dark slide, ground glass, lens/shutter, lensboard, etc) you also, obviously, need a light meter. I was lucky and got a complete system off fleabay at a fair price.

Thanks for the info Chris I did a little research after I posted, I do find it fascinating It’s certainly something to think about in the future

Hi Chris

Nice Refuse bin, would really like to see the image large and in real life to see all the detail. Interesting excuse to spend money, wish I could get that past my SWMBO.

Pete

Black and white suits the discarded state of the old dusty bin. I still got mine in the backyard but in a better state. Use it as ice/cold water bucket in BBQ.
ZK8viEV.gif

I like the shot for refuse Chris, good find and it looks good in black n white too

Hi Chris

Nice Refuse bin, would really like to see the image large and in real life to see all the detail. Interesting excuse to spend money, wish I could get that past my SWMBO.

Pete
Thanks Pete, I think large format cameras are just machines where you post pound coins in and occasionally a photo pops out :)

Black and white suits the discarded state of the old dusty bin. I still got mine in the backyard but in a better state. Use it as ice/cold water bucket in BBQ.
ZK8viEV.gif
Thanks Stan, I don't think that one would hold much water, but what better use for a bin?

I like the shot for refuse Chris, good find and it looks good in black n white too
Thanks Tilly

Refuse

Good shot, nice and contrasty and a bit of grittiness thrown in and I like the textures in the bg.

Refuse - Bin waiting fora shot like that - and a big bonus YAY for some fab mono filmy stuffs!

I think large format cameras are just machines where you post pound coins in and occasionally a photo pops out :)
Surely that's most photography, at least with film you do get a photo popping out, whereas digitally, most images remain 1s and 0s on a disk somewhere.
Loved reading the info you provided for Allan, it really puts it into perspective, and goes to show how slowing down and working at a shot pays off.
Good Work :)

Surely that's most photography, at least with film you do get a photo popping out, whereas digitally, most images remain 1s and 0s on a disk somewhere.
Loved reading the info you provided for Allan, it really puts it into perspective, and goes to show how slowing down and working at a shot pays off.
Good Work :)
Thanks Tim, it's the photographic equivalent of a steam engine :)

Not the most original idea but I've had a few goes at low key selfies in the past and this seemed like a good chance at another, I think this is getting there

Dark by Chris H, on Flickr

That's a cracker that is!

Very nicely done Chris. Not something I've ever attempted, the thought of trying to get it in focus without being behind the camera baffles me. (I suppose Eye AF might be the way, but nah, not doing it).
Anyway, that works really well. (y)

Very good indeed focus is spot on must be hard to achieve on your own, perhaps a little more light on your right eye if Im being picky

Very well taken image for dark Chris, lighting is bang on showing just enough of your face with a great dark BG.
Thanks Dave

Very nicely done Chris. Not something I've ever attempted, the thought of trying to get it in focus without being behind the camera baffles me. (I suppose Eye AF might be the way, but nah, not doing it).
Anyway, that works really well. (y)
Thanks Tim, the camera has WiFi so framing and focusing was done using my phone. The hardest part is not moving your head between looking at the phone to focus and looking at the camera for the shot.

Very good indeed focus is spot on must be hard to achieve on your own, perhaps a little more light on your right eye if Im being picky
Thanks Allan, fair point about the right eye, I thought that too. It really needs a reflector or second light with snoot on that side but unless it is exactly in the right place it could have some undesirable side-effects, something to try next time :). It would be a lot easier to build up that kind of lighting if it wasn’t a selfie.

Great shot Chris, focus is spot on, composition really good, as has been said maybe a little more light on the right eye.

Back