Sirch 52 in 2018, third time lucky, week 52, Showcase

Chris

Dark - it is getting there. Fantastic detail in the skin and shadow in the eye is good. You appear to be coming out of the gloom, nice effect.

Pete

Very good effort Chris, great b+w conversion and I like the composition. The eye has been noted.

Chris

Dark - it is getting there. Fantastic detail in the skin and shadow in the eye is good. You appear to be coming out of the gloom, nice effect.

Pete

Thanks guys, not sure I really wanted such good detail in the skin though :D

Dark

I'm sure you get at least two selfies in in a year.
This one is pretty good, I like the position of your head, it's a little different from the straight on or side on shots.

Dark

I'm sure you get at least two selfies in in a year.
This one is pretty good, I like the position of your head, it's a little different from the straight on or side on shots.
Thanks Dominic, more than two might put people off :D

Nice selfie, perfectly lit with good details. Like the composition too. :clap:
Thanks Stan

Well this isn't going to make much of a splash but it's what I've got and not much time to do anything better

Splash by TheWub, on Flickr

Nice shot Chris, really like the B&W conversion, spot on theme and the exposure it spot on between milky water and a shutter speed high enough to freeze the water.

Nice shot Chris, really like the B&W conversion, spot on theme and the exposure it spot on between milky water and a shutter speed high enough to freeze the water.
Thanks Roger

That’s ok nicely composed the B+W conversion is very good, it’s no “Blue buckets” but you can’t have everything

Good enough Chris for the theme. Spot on shutter speed but not sure about the top half of the image, doesn't add anything to the shot IMO.
Thanks Stan, I know what you mean about the top but it felt a bit lacking without it.

That’s ok nicely composed the B+W conversion is very good, it’s no “Blue buckets” but you can’t have everything
:D I do own a sky blue bucket and the thought had crossed my mind, thanks Allan.

Splash

It looks fine to me. Just the right amount of movement in the water for my liking.

I think possibly I agree with Stan, you could crop the top down to just above the wall(?) at the back and it may well make it stronger.
Not that there is anything wrong with it as is.

Splash

It looks fine to me. Just the right amount of movement in the water for my liking.

I think possibly I agree with Stan, you could crop the top down to just above the wall(?) at the back and it may well make it stronger.
Not that there is anything wrong with it as is.

Thanks guys.

Chris

Splash - Nice shot, good conversion to B&W, exposure spot on and good use of shutter speed on the water. Composition is fine but removing a small bit of the top also fine. Small splash fits the theme.

Pete

Splash - lovely conversion. I;d defo lose a bit off the top.

Chris

Splash - Nice shot, good conversion to B&W, exposure spot on and good use of shutter speed on the water. Composition is fine but removing a small bit of the top also fine. Small splash fits the theme.

Pete

Splash - lovely conversion. I;d defo lose a bit off the top.
Thanks both

And on to Pull, my son being pulled down by the shirt at today's game. No the sharpest shot but the best example of the theme.
Pull by TheWub, on Flickr

Like it, good composition, colours are great, smack on theme and they are playing the right game. I think the little bit of motion blur adds to the shot. Nice one Chris

Like it, good composition, colours are great, smack on theme and they are playing the right game. I think the little bit of motion blur adds to the shot. Nice one Chris
Thanks Roger

Yep - works very well that :D

It does work well, I know someone mentioned the guy on the left but its the teammate in the BG which I find obtrusive particularly with the ball on being where it is on his head

Yep - works very well that :D

Nice idea, Chris and perfectly timed, however, I'm two minds on the inclusion of the left player.

If that's at 1/400th, what speed would you have needed to avoid the motion blur?
They must have been motoring along...

It does work well, I know someone mentioned the guy on the left but its the teammate in the BG which I find obtrusive particularly with the ball on being where it is on his head

Thanks all. I was very much in two minds about posting this one and I agree with the comments about the player on the left and the ball position, I got better photos of the action but the shirt pulling wasn't anywhere near as obvious so I went with this in the end.

Chris

Pulled, I think it works well for the theme. Nice bright colours, shame the players did not consider being in the right place for you. The wibberly wobberly ball is very sharp, is that what you focused on?

Pete

Chris

Pulled, I think it works well for the theme. Nice bright colours, shame the players did not consider being in the right place for you. The wibberly wobberly ball is very sharp, is that what you focused on?

Pete
Thanks Pete, The ball is not too far away from the players so if the AF locked on to that then the plane of focus is in the right area, I think the bulk of the softness is motion blur. I was shooting with the 7Dii at a about 10fps and in the frame before he was upright and the frame after he was on his arse so they were moving fairly fast.

Pull

A good action shot and colours. You've caught it just right for the theme.
Well done for keeping the background clutter free.

I suppose it all depends on your point of view, it is art if someone thinks it is, but I do not think it is. Nice shot though and somewhat better exposed and composition than two blue buckets IMHO. After I posted my picture today I was on the M5 and on the hard shoulder I saw a blue bucket! Got to go back tomorrow and try to get a picture.:)

Thanks all. A typist typing in an office is not creating music but put the typewriter on a stage with an orchestra (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Typewriter) and it is music, art is not whatever any individual wants to be art, fundamentally art is created by an artist as art, I am not an artist so it is not art. Despite what Kurt Schwitters said - "Everything an artist spits is art." - even if I was an artist I could declare this to be nothing more than a snap, and that's it, it is not art. However if I submit it to an exhibition or gallery it magically transforms into art, it might not be good art, you might not like it as art but in those circumstances it becomes art.

Last edited:
Hi Chris, really like your forked image, nice low pov and the b&w makes it look very dramatic. I think you might need a new bin, that one is looking fairly ropey, works for the theme though and B&W makes it look even grittier. Be interested to see what the splash was like in colour, personally not sure about this one in B&W. Hmm not sure I would call it Art but its as good as some of the stuff the put in the Tate in Liverpool, so who am I to say its not ;):D

Hi Chris, really like your forked image, nice low pov and the b&w makes it look very dramatic. I think you might need a new bin, that one is looking fairly ropey, works for the theme though and B&W makes it look even grittier. Be interested to see what the splash was like in colour, personally not sure about this one in B&W. Hmm not sure I would call it Art but its as good as some of the stuff the put in the Tate in Liverpool, so who am I to say its not ;):D
Thanks Georgina, splash in colour is a lot less impressive than the B&W. The bucket is a response to a photo and subsequent discussion on here of a photo of two blue buckets - https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...-book-review-everyday-revelations-sean-ohagan

Chris, your bucket artwork is telling a story to me, that story being the mystery of "Who nicked the other bleedin' bucket" :)
We all knew this was coming. It is art as you have deliberately created the image - no one leaves buckets in doorways (unless they are trying to kill someone).
(y)

Chris, your bucket artwork is telling a story to me, that story being the mystery of "Who nicked the other bleedin' bucket" :)
We all knew this was coming. It is art as you have deliberately created the image - no one leaves buckets in doorways (unless they are trying to kill someone).
(y)
Thanks Tim, I could have been mopping the floor, or catching drips from a leaking roof?

Reactions: LC2
Back