weekly Snorton's 52 2012 - WEEK 14-17 ADDED OPERATION CATCH UP

NIce and clear. Great DoF (y)

I like your take on the theme Simon.
A simple subject made very interesting with differential focus. The B&W conversion suits the subject too. (y) Iain

Onwards and upwards, and now gone further with my 52 than last year, so fairly pleased with myself.

To this week's theme of handmade. Had only today to take the shot, due to being back at work from tomorrow after a wonderful week off, and again struggled to come up with ideas for this theme.

I've submitted 2 as I'm not sure which of them works the best, or even if both of them work ;). These pics show my mother engrossed in one of her fave hobbies, producing handmade greetings cards for her friends.

6905634071_0d9843577a_b.jpg

6905636437_15a9798727_b.jpg

I shall await comments and feedback before submitting one of these to the Flickr group :).

Hi Simon, I prefer number one as you can actually see your mum working on the cards with all her creative bits and bobs around her. The tight crop of number two loses some of the detail and looks like someone just writing a card.

Thanks Marsha. Having now just gone back to them and looking at both again, I'm with you :D.

Hi Simon;

Agree with Marsha, it's no 1 for me, I like the composition of this one , seeing more of your mum in shot works very well. The angle of the shot taps into my curiosity, feels like i'm looking over her shoulder and i want to know what she's doing. B&w works well too. Good job.(y)

Carol

Nice work Simon and congratulations for overtaking your efforts last years - result ! just keep it up which I know is hard when your busy. (as I am finding out)

Root - really like the subject and it works well in mono as does 'Handmade' which I think would be distracting in colour out of these two images I prefer #1

Blank_Canvas said:
Nice work Simon and congratulations for overtaking your efforts last years - result ! just keep it up which I know is hard when your busy. (as I am finding out)

Root - really like the subject and it works well in mono as does 'Handmade' which I think would be distracting in colour out of these two images I prefer #1

Thanks for that. When I took the handmade shots they just looked flat and uninspiring in colour, but converting them to mono completely transformed both images.

Yep, definitely #1 with mum in the picture ... you did pay her modeling fees???

I like both of those shots and can imagine they are really colourful, go on show us some colour Simon.;)

Yes deffinately number 1. The other one could just be someone writing a card. Great shot :)

Hi Simon, I prefer number one as you can actually see your mum working on the cards with all her creative bits and bobs around her. The tight crop of number two loses some of the detail and looks like someone just writing a card.

Me too. Number 1

Handmade, #1 does it all and somehow the BW version seems to draw you into looking at the various elements of the shot. Good use of DOF placing emphasis on the hands.(y)

Industry - Like this photo but agree with the comments on the sky, I'm wondering if a HDR with photomatrix would bring out some of the detail. Really like the composition though.

Root - Very clever, the only potato shot I have seen and now I am wondering why!! Like the dof you went for as well as the mono conversion and composition. Excellent work :)

Handmade - Prefer the first B&W one myself, really draws the eye to what she is doing. Really like the angle that you have used here. Great take on the theme that really does show handmade perfectly.

Keep up the good work mate

I think the colour one is just as good, I suppose I'll be a sheep though and say the black and white one is more appealing :LOL:

oh I prefer no. 1 because you can see your lovely mum engrossed :)

Hi ya

well done you for getting further than last year ....just need to keep going to week 52 now...it's not that far away really :LOL:

Having read all the commenst on Root & Handmade I'm gonna be the odd one out ....again :bonk:

Handmade....color version for me without a doubt....really brings the shot alive seeing all the different colors & how they get put together to create the finished article , like the angle you taken it from as well :clap:

Root...nice different idea for the theme , like the B&W & the great use of DOF.............but just wanna see the color version :LOL:

Thanks for all comments so far, and have finally managed to visit some threads too this morning :clap:

Now eagerly waiting for tomorrow's theme :thinking:

Hi Simon

Handmade - The shot is v good. B&w or colour may be in the eye of the beholder but I agree with you that the b&w is better. I think that the mono helps concentrate on the subject and the focus on the hands again exemplifies the theme. Also an excellent subject because this type of card making seems very contemporary - i see lots of examples of this and scrapbooking(y)

I like the colour version too. Great subject matter, handmade in action rather than a photograph of a handmade object works well. Good work. Iain

Here we go then, week 9 and still going :clap:.

Again time against me due to work, damn you employment ;);) and at the beginning of the week was :thinking: about what to shoot for this theme, then last night it all came to me.

So with a pocket of loose change, a tenner, a fiver and my first poor attempt at trying to win an extra few quid at the bookies leD me to this...

MONEY!!!!

6943453163_666c239004_b.jpg

Here we go then, week 9 and still going :clap:.

Again time against me due to work, damn you employment ;);) and at the beginning of the week was :thinking: about what to shoot for this theme, then last night it all came to me.

So with a pocket of loose change, a tenner, a fiver and my first poor attempt at trying to win an extra few quid at the bookies leD me to this...

MONEY!!!!

6943453163_666c239004_b.jpg

So the question is....did you win.....great clarity and use of dog...(y)

Back