weekly Sonriendo's 52:2014 Thread - #9 Positive/Positivo

What a PITA this theme has been!
shakehead.gif
.........and there was me thinking I was going to be the only one to struggle :D

Your 2nd smoke image is better than mine Sarah............I couldn't even get one with colour like that. :banghead:

First image for me, it holds more interest, is the model another one of your daughters? :)

Hasn't it just - the colour in the 2nd one was jsut playing about with the white balance. Far too lazy to take it into Photoshop ;) The model is my daughters' mother ;)

Like #1 best because it's unusual. #2 has got some interesting shapes in it - lower part looks like a giraffe's head and neck.

Oh yes, I can see that too (y)

Hi #1 has potential, but has issues, as you mentioned. The floating head is a bit strange and something I've done before :)

#2 is a good take and well captured. I do like the streak of smoke at the RHS.

Cheers.

Hi Sarah, I squinted and imagined and you were right ;)
i won't go over whats already been said, so I will just say, I like the concept for #1, the composition and the lighting (with just a little more on the torso)
Its a different take on the theme, so well done you (y)

Second one has some interesting shapes going on in there.

Thanks

Hi #1 has potential, but has issues, as you mentioned. The floating head is a bit strange and something I've done before :)

#2 is a good take and well captured. I do like the streak of smoke at the RHS.

Cheers.

Oh goddam - I underexposed it loads in PP (stop and a half or more) perhaps I ought to bring it back up a touch? I was sort of trying to hide the skanky old fleece :D

Hi Sarah, I squinted and imagined and you were right ;)
i won't go over whats already been said, so I will just say, I like the concept for #1, the composition and the lighting (with just a little more on the torso)
Its a different take on the theme, so well done you (y)

As above really - just remembered that it was done having imbibed a couple of glasses of wine :D perhaps I should try again with the 400d and the remote shutter release - the 10 seconed timer doesn't allow for focussing on the 50d - I don't think and I'm sure I never had so many focus issues using the remote - or am I just rambling and should give it up as a bad job :D

I know it's soft but there is something I quite like about #1. With the space to the right I almost feel it could be an album cover from a few years back.

I know it's soft but there is something I quite like about #1. With the space to the right I almost feel it could be an album cover from a few years back.

Thanks - not sure which one it would be ;) I'm quite liking a lot of space in my shots at the moment - I used to be a "fill the frame" kind of girl before :shrug:

Hi Sarah
Have to agree with Allan@alsjazzera that I have seen enough smoke images to last a lifetime and whilst they are interesting, I feel that they don't really merit much study.
As for #1, I think that is a very good idea and nice comp. Good choice of b/g and mono. Like the silhouette approach and the hat is superb (I do like those hats tho, partic at the ferias des caballos). Like the hint of the jacket. But the overall softness is prob a bit too much - I think that the face should be in focus

Great start to your challenge Sarah - i really like the first couple of images - 'Egg' and 'Line'...

As has been mentioned we've seen a lot of similar 'smoke' images of late and whilst they're always impressive I do prefer a different take on it.. (y)

Bubble is a great shot as well - really like the lighting, detail and the expression captured.. lol

Nowt wrong with shot 2 but i prefer shot 1.

Showing my age but would look great as a 80's rock album cover

Hi Sarah
Have to agree with Allan@alsjazzera that I have seen enough smoke images to last a lifetime and whilst they are interesting, I feel that they don't really merit much study.
As for #1, I think that is a very good idea and nice comp. Good choice of b/g and mono. Like the silhouette approach and the hat is superb (I do like those hats tho, partic at the ferias des caballos). Like the hint of the jacket. But the overall softness is prob a bit too much - I think that the face should be in focus

I did have another look at it and upped the exposure a bit and yes it was better - didn't bother to upload it though as it's still very soft ;)

Great start to your challenge Sarah - i really like the first couple of images - 'Egg' and 'Line'...

As has been mentioned we've seen a lot of similar 'smoke' images of late and whilst they're always impressive I do prefer a different take on it.. (y)

Bubble is a great shot as well - really like the lighting, detail and the expression captured.. lol

Thank you Marcus nice of you to pop in :wave:

I too like the individuality of the first, although the second is a very good attempt and works well, I think the inclusion of the person and the way they are clothed makes for an interesting shot (y)

Thanks - should've used a real model ;) But sometimes you've just got to work with what you've got - I think I'd have had a few problems if I'd tried to use the girlies though being as they are under age :LOL:

Nowt wrong with shot 2 but i prefer shot 1.

Showing my age but would look great as a 80's rock album cover

Thanks

Thanks Sarah - im trying to catchup on numerous threads as I never seem to get the alerts since they updated the forum software... frustrating that you seem to have to manually remember all the threads you post in.. lol

Bit of a dump and run for me :D I originally wanted to take a photo of a Jade egg that we have, but my PS and lighting skills are not good enough to combine two shots of it - one suported at the bottom and one supported at the top and have the egg the same colour - without a line running through it - following? Then I decided some rock salt would be nice as I rather like white on white photos ala

by Sonriendo, on Flickr

Just would not work though - not enough contrast and I do not do black backgrounds - perhaps I should have tried, although I can't take my flash off camera so really that's out.

So, went for a mineral object on my standby bit of white card :D

#6 Mineral/Mineral
by Sonriendo, on Flickr

If this hadn't have worked, there is a big lump of sparkly rock out in the garden :D Rambling much... ;)

Interesting take on the theme Sarah (y)
You've handled the lighting well too, not always easy with shiny objects.
I'd be tempted to crop a little off the top?
Compositionally, it works having 3 objects in there but I feel it needs a wee tweak on the positioning of the forks, it is a little off symmetry to my OCD eye;)

it needs a wee tweak on the positioning of the forks, it is a little off symmetry to my OCD eye;)

Sadly ythat's the first thing I noticed too. The right one needs to go further right.

Other than that its a nice bright shiny take on a tricky theme.

:wave: The focus and reflection of light on the end of the tines is :clap: shallow dof, bg, excellent (y) great shot Sarah........well worth the wait :D

Hi Sarah
That's funny rock salt o_O
Fork comp is very good. Well handled light, nice positioning with the one turned round and good to have detail on the handles
Like others, the devil is in the detail and for something that is meant to have symmetry, then it needs to be perfect IMO. So right fork needs to be further to right and toed in like the left hand one.
Looks good on Flickr with the black canvas

Good dof on the forks, I don't mind them not being symmetrical.

Great image but I have to agree with whats been said above, the right hand fork needs moving slightly.

Perfect

... but ... perhaps all a little tooo symmetrical. o_O

Very nice photo love the shallow dof, adds real interest to the shot
Nice composition, I like the good use of the shallow dof I think it does add interest to the image.

Thank you both

Interesting take on the theme Sarah (y)
You've handled the lighting well too, not always easy with shiny objects.
I'd be tempted to crop a little off the top?
Compositionally, it works having 3 objects in there but I feel it needs a wee tweak on the positioning of the forks, it is a little off symmetry to my OCD eye;)

Shiny things are a bit of a problem for me - fell lucky here - tried the crop and I agree (y)

Sadly ythat's the first thing I noticed too. The right one needs to go further right.

Other than that its a nice bright shiny take on a tricky theme.

Thanks - was in such a rush I didn't really notice - and I have my own OCDisms too ;)

:wave: The focus and reflection of light on the end of the tines is :clap: shallow dof, bg, excellent (y) great shot Sarah........well worth the wait :D

Hi Sarah
That's funny rock salt o_O
Fork comp is very good. Well handled light, nice positioning with the one turned round and good to have detail on the handles
Like others, the devil is in the detail and for something that is meant to have symmetry, then it needs to be perfect IMO. So right fork needs to be further to right and toed in like the left hand one.
Looks good on Flickr with the black canvas

Thanks - I will try and find a protractor and ruler for the next time I try something like this - you're all worse than me with OCD :D

Good dof on the forks, I don't mind them not being symmetrical.

Thank heavens - you can be my new BFF ♥

Smashing unique idea Sarah, I like it on Flicker too, against the black, it looks good.

Thank you :)

Nice dof, different take nicely lit.

Thanks

Great image but I have to agree with whats been said above, the right hand fork needs moving slightly.

On the OCD bench with you ;)
:agree: or the left one in a bit (y)

And you...

Well lit and good detail. Slightly on the squiff??

Cheers.

Go on - on the bench with the others :p

Perfect

... but ... perhaps all a little tooo symmetrical. o_O

I know I should soooo have gone the other way and just jumbled them :D Another BFF for me ;)

Hi Sarah

I quite like the Garlic shot......where did the rock salt go :thinking:

For the forks...really well lit ,cracking DOF & pov (y)....would have been a :clap: but my OCD is itching to even up the space between them....sorry :exit:

Lyne the rock salt was so dire it's not even on the hard drive any more - the garlic was just to show the white on white ;) Oh and off to the OCD bench with you :p

Hi Sarah. Sorry I've missed a few. Smoke, I like number one as well. When I do a selfie I put the camera in manual focus and either measure the distance to where I'll be or focus on something placed there, then try a lot!

Love the garlic shot btw.

Forks I'm afraid I'm part of the the OCD brigade :exit: Forgive me for being stupid (lack of sleep an all) but how does it fit the theme?

As a fan of SC I like the portrait shot, the colour REALLY draws the eye. It's just a bit too bright for me. When I do SC I never paint back the full saturation, especially with bold primary colours like this. The actual portrait has a blown feel (which I like) which makes the red even brighter. I do find less is more with SC as it is very much like marmite! But I'm sure the negative brigade will tell you soon enough!

Last edited:
Love your sense Image Sarah, no crit at all from me :clap::clap:

Thank you

Great image for 'sense' Sarah - the colour of the strawberry emphasises the theme nicely (y)

Thank you

Hi Sarah. Sorry I've missed a few. Smoke, I like number one as well. When I do a selfie I put the camera in manual focus and either measure the distance to where I'll be or focus on something placed there, then try a lot!

Love the garlic shot btw.

Forks I'm afraid I'm part of the the OCD brigade :exit: Forgive me for being stupid (lack of sleep an all) but how does it fit the theme?

As a fan of SC I like the portrait shot, the colour REALLY draws the eye. It's just a bit too bright for me. When I do SC I never paint back the full saturation, especially with bold primary colours like this. The actual portrait has a blown feel (which I like) which makes the red even brighter. I do find less is more with SC as it is very much like marmite! But I'm sure the negative brigade will tell you soon enough!

I tried that, well actually what I did was from where the chair was focussed on the tripod ;) I've done loads of selfies before that have been a lot sharper too :(

Well, it's fits the theme purely by being neither vegetable nor animal :D

Now, as I keep telling you all I am a lazy bint, my general rule tends to be if it can't be done in lightroom - just don't go there :D So, I did a black and white conversion, once I was happy with that I switched it back to colour and then used the brush to desaturate the face and hand, all without touching photoshop :woot: - I am not a lover of SC, but somehow the strawberry seemed to need emphasising here.

Back