Monthly Southdowns' 2013 etc Thread - December Great Eggscape Posted

Thanks everyone, I'm glad it worked. Andy you're right about the slightly distracting rubbish in the sand, but I don't think it's too bad. I did clone out a couple of the worst bits :)

Selective Colour

I've not gone for complete B&W with selective colour, because I think it rarely works well; you need a very strong story for that, and it'd take me longer than we have to find one I think. Instead I've taken a subtler approach, desaturating rather than completely converting the "non-selected" regions. I think it works quite well, but what do others think?

May Selective Colour.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

I put a smiley in there ;) Mark, if you'd removed anything else I feel it would have ruined it. After all, it's a beach and beaches have twigs and dried seaweed on them cracker as it is.

SC, yip, sssoooo glad you didn't do the usual, because as you say, they rarely work unless its a vey strong subject. IMO just removing all but one colours isn't want SC is about. I won't comments anymore as on iPad and ned to view on my laptop.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy. I quite like the orange tinge myself :)

Not from London, no. It's from the local community woods, where they held a fete today :)

Another three excellent shots, Mark,

Leading Lines; I like the low viewpoint or the use of the sand dune slope and your eyes just get drawn to the main subject(s) right away.

Selective Colour; Like your different approach to the theme, the subject and the desaturation work really well in this simple shot.

Motion Blur; I can't find any faults with it, another simple image with a nice sharp foreground and perfect shutter speed to imply movement.

:clap:

Found this thread today, really like your images.

Have just subscribed so I can come back for more!

Thanks Stan. For motion blur, I kind of think it would have been better with everything in focus, so that the only blur was the motion blur, but I am pleased with it.

Hazel, thanks so much for taking a look, and I'm glad you like my photos :) it's very encouraging to hear :)

Motion Blur Two

This is more for fun than anything, but this was moving so fast I couldn't have avoided the motion blur if I'd wanted to!

May Motion Blur 2.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Thanks, I'm glad you like my new pet, Zippy :)

May Levitation

Well, this is largely a Photoshop exercise, and I'm very pleased with the results; my little angel :)

That said, Izzy is NOT pasted into the shot; she really was there. Beyond that, I think you can work out where PS came into play :)

As ever, it looks way better Big Big Big!

May Levitation.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
Last edited:
tumbleweed-gif-2.gif

:tumbleweed: :tumbleweed: :tumbleweed:

Reminds me of the Pink Floyd song :) ;)

:p been away and just catching up. I have to say, the effort you are putting in is really paying off here :clap:

OK, so onto levitation. I don't mind the processing, it adds to the etherial feel of the photograph. What stands out for me is Izzies calm, tranquil face.

Black and white. Great DOF and detail, especially in the FG rocks. Did you use a polariser? The shine on the rocks really works well. The posts are really well composed within the frame. I thought for a moment that someone was walking out of he frame upper left, but it may be a post. Crit. Well, how the vignette has darkened the tip of the second post in from the left. Minor point.

Think I've commented on all of yours.

I'll finish of with a well deserved :clap:

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, yep, that's all of them so far :)

I think Izzy's expression might be terror rather than tranquility; she just didn't dare open her eyes! She was balanced on a piece of plywood on top of some steps, and did very well not to fall off let alone pose!

I hadn't noticed that human shaped post in B&W, but yes, it is a post, not a person.

No polariser used, in fact I don't own one! I've tried a borrowed one, and although I could see the benefit, it was way too fiddly for me to bother with! Maybe I just used the wrong sort.

Hi
I really like the levitation one, I think the processing works well.

Black & White although a good photograph with all things correct in it I just don't like it, sorry, maybe it's one of them marmite ones :)

Well done on completing them all.

Thanks Mark :)

No problem re B&W. I did say I expected it to be a Marmite shots, and I do think if everyone likes all your photo's, you're probably playing it too safe! I think it's good to push the boundaries a little.

I could easily process it more conventionally, but I wanted to try something a little different :)

Sorry Stan, my fault. It should be there now :)

Last edited:
Very nice and very well processed. The border is to my liking and the cool blue tone really works. Now I know they are a whole, but #3 is my favourite. The crab seems to be saying,"come and 'ave a go if you think you're hard enough!" :D

Crit, the vignette seems a bit heavy at times, especially upper left of #1.

Cheers.

I think that works really well, it looks very similar to the type of photos in an old family album.

Spot on and another great interpretation of the theme

:clap:

Thanks everyone :)

It's coming Andy, it's coming, but I'm 50 on Tuesday; I don't move so fast these days!

Actually, I've been working on one of this months themes since it was announced. Prepare to be amazed utterly disappointed :)

Last edited:
I like both of these.

The self portrait is a nice idea, the eyes seem to be a little brighter and draw the attention.

The reflection on the left orb seems a little out of focus compared to the other two. I bet it would good on a wall though.

Back