Stevesc 52 2019 week 6 - Waiting

Week 1 - New

Only the first week and I'm struggling to fit in the theme before the deadline!

This is a closeup of my daughter's favourite christmas present which is "new" to her. It's a mermaid cushion which is a cushion covered in reversable sequins. Not the best start to the 52 but it is something new in our house and up before the deadline so it's onwards to the next theme.

new by Steve, on Flickr

New
I think you are being a bit harsh on yourself.
I like the way you've split it, light and dark.

Well done Steve. Nailed the first week

Nice range of colours. Personally would have preferred to see focus all the way through the image to see details of everything

I cut it much finer than you. Focus is spot on where it is needed, but maybe a touch more would be better, plenty of detail to get the jist of the photo, but I would never have guessed it was a cushion.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and comments.

Well done Steve. Nailed the first week

Nice range of colours. Personally would have preferred to see focus all the way through the image to see details of everything

Thanks, I am a bit of a sucker for shallow DOF and may overdo it sometimes, I'll probably have lots of similar comments through the year.

I cut it much finer than you. Focus is spot on where it is needed, but maybe a touch more would be better, plenty of detail to get the jist of the photo, but I would never have guessed it was a cushion.

Part of my disappointment with this shot is that although I like it and I know it is something new, the shot on it's own without the backstory would not show that it is either a cushion or relate to new.

Think I have an idea for Clean now, just need to make time to take it.

I like this Steve. Staged or not in any way, I think everything in the pic with the basket and open doors, works very well.

This would look great in black and white with extra contrast

I couldn't find a launderette!! They don't seem to be common over here, so I am glad that one found its way to the 52! Anyways, I think it's a great shot for this week's theme.

Great image and perfect for the theme.
Back in my student days I used to go to launderettes all the time (well...ok, not all the time...I was a student!!)
That is one of the cleanest launderettes I've ever seen!
A super image, nice colours, very well lit and composed and great detail too.
Nice work Steve!(y)

Laundrettes are getting sparse these days, nice composition.

I like this Steve. Staged or not in any way, I think everything in the pic with the basket and open doors, works very well.

This would look great in black and white with extra contrast

I did move the basket on the table and open the doors to add a little more interest. Didn't think about doing it in B&W as I liked the colour of the walls but maybe should have a go later.

I couldn't find a launderette!! They don't seem to be common over here, so I am glad that one found its way to the 52! Anyways, I think it's a great shot for this week's theme.

Thanks, there aren't as common around here as they used to be.

The colours work really well, good composition too.
Thanks

Great image and perfect for the theme.
Back in my student days I used to go to launderettes all the time (well...ok, not all the time...I was a student!!)
That is one of the cleanest launderettes I've ever seen!
A super image, nice colours, very well lit and composed and great detail too.
Nice work Steve!(y)

It is a very clean launderette! It helps that it has recently had a complete revamp and as such is all fairly new.

Laundrettes are getting sparse these days, nice composition.
Yes, not so many round here but this one is all fairly new so will see how well it does and if it lasts.

That's a great image, Steve - well composed with the double row of machines on the right, and well timed so that all the doors are slightly open. It's a very clean and tidy room too, which is a nice bonus (y)

Have to admit I opened the doors as I thought it was a bit boring with them all shut.

New isn’t showing at the moment but clean works really well a great idea and an accomplished image spot on theme

New isn’t showing at the moment but clean works really well a great idea and an accomplished image spot on theme
Thanks Allan

I like that Steve, the bright orange, the way you lined the table up at the bottom, the doors, the basket.
Excellent. (y)
Cheers, although having looked at it a bit more I'm not sure about having the bottom of the table in the shot.

That was really handy to find it completely empty Steve, it works perfectly for the theme.
I have been past the launderette a few times this week but haven't had time to stop and each time there were several people in it so I was pleased that it was empty when I finally got there to shoot it. It probably helped that it was only 30 mins before it closed.

Clean is a cool image as like that it`s not bright and good that no folk were in the shot too.

Thanks Dave.

I like the orange of the wall good choice not to do the B/W good shot

Steve, could of had a second shot with OPEN this week with the doors. Like it though
Thanks, yes it would have worked for Open....might have to resort to one of my other launderette shots if I can't think of anything else!

I like the orange of the wall good choice not to do the B/W good shot
Cheers, I did try a B&W conversion in the end and liked the way the right hand side of the picture worked but the left hand side without the colour seemed a lot weaker.

Really like the lighting, colours and composition Steve
Thanks (y)

Week 3 - Open

Feels like another last minute plan and shoot this week but a mixture of family events and going out last night to the winter lights festival at canary wharf (where I didn't find anything for the theme) means I have been left to do something indoors this evening. I had a few ideas but ended up with this open bottle, reasonably happy with how it turned out although I would have preferred it without the bright highlights down the right hand side. It was lit with a single light and the background is a light app on my mobile.

Open by Steve, on Flickr

Clean - image is on theme, nice colours and composition works well for the image, I also feel a mono conversion would work well for this image as well.
Open - bang on for the theme like crop and the BG really does make the open bottle stand out.

nice sharp pic and good idea using the phone for the background :)
works well and personally I don't mind the highlights.

I like that you can see the texture of the glass, and that the start of the bottle thread is dead centre. Something I would have overlooked had it been my own image. Never considered a background app for the phone, its effective!

Open: colours of the bottle and background really compliment each other. I actually think the highlights actually add something to the photo.

Back