Stevesc 52 2019 week 6 - Waiting

Terrific macro image, and perfect for the theme!
Great detail in the glass, and as others have said, the highlights on the right work well to define the shape and draw the eye onto the threads.
The background is very nice, great punchy colour to compliment the colour in the glass.
Nice work Steve.(y)

The background is an app?
Interesting that there appears to be a halo around the bottle, at least on my monitor. I would have thought it would have been flat.
Must be some effect of the light wrapping around perhaps?
Certainly fits the theme.

Thanks for all the positive comments, it's interesting to see that generally people didn't mind the highlights.

The background is an app?
Interesting that there appears to be a halo around the bottle, at least on my monitor. I would have thought it would have been flat.
Must be some effect of the light wrapping around perhaps?
Certainly fits the theme.

The background was an adroid app called Lightbox, which enables you to pick a colour and display it full screen.

Now you mention the halo I can see it as well, it may well have come from the editing process as I had to lift the shadows pretty heavily.

New-nice semi abstarct shot, works for me
Clean-Covers the theme well, though I wonder if it could have benefited from a wider lens?
Open-I really like this, the bottle stands out well from the background. It would pprobably look very good in mono too. The highlights look fine to me.

Nice shots, I like them all. Great to see other people's take on these themes

Hi Steve

Clean is a very good shot, dof and exposure are spot on. Could be an advertising shot. Spotlessly clean laundrette too :D Open works well to good combination of colours. I think the highlights are fine, might look less realistic if you removed them :D

Hi Steve,

New - I like this. Getting in close really works.
Clean - A perfect hit for the theme. I too would like to see the same shot but a bit wider. Either that or pan right such that the corner of the room was on the edge of the shot maybe?
Open - Great for the theme. I like the BG. What app is that?

Nice idea for Open, Steve, and one I tried too, although mine would have been destined for B&W as I was working with a boring background. Yours works really well with the two bright and contrasting colours, and the focus is so spot on it shows a surprising amount of texture in the glass. Nice one (y)

New-nice semi abstarct shot, works for me
Clean-Covers the theme well, though I wonder if it could have benefited from a wider lens?
Open-I really like this, the bottle stands out well from the background. It would pprobably look very good in mono too. The highlights look fine to me.
Thanks for the comments, I agree that a wider lens might have worked. I only had two primes with me a the time. (a 35mm and an 60mm)

Nice shots, I like them all. Great to see other people's take on these themes
Cheers, seeing other people's ideas is one of my fvourite parts of the 52.

Hi Steve

Clean is a very good shot, dof and exposure are spot on. Could be an advertising shot. Spotlessly clean laundrette too :D Open works well to good combination of colours. I think the highlights are fine, might look less realistic if you removed them :D
Cheers (y)

Hi Steve,

New - I like this. Getting in close really works.
Clean - A perfect hit for the theme. I too would like to see the same shot but a bit wider. Either that or pan right such that the corner of the room was on the edge of the shot maybe?
Open - Great for the theme. I like the BG. What app is that?

Thanks for the comments, as I mentioned above, the widest I had with me was the 35mm prime but I do agree it would have worked wider. Since putting the shot up it annoys me that I didn't move the POV slightly to the right and lose the edge of the perspex on the left wall and not chop off the very edge of the washing machine door on the left.

This is the app I used, it is called lightbox by funz apps (link) on google play store. I used to have another one but can't remember what it was called. This one seemed to work fine but it is the first time I have used it.

Nice idea for Open, Steve, and one I tried too, although mine would have been destined for B&W as I was working with a boring background. Yours works really well with the two bright and contrasting colours, and the focus is so spot on it shows a surprising amount of texture in the glass. Nice one (y)

Thanks, I was originally thinking of doing a B&W shot this week but couldn't get what I wanted and it seemed a shame to lose the colour of the bottle so went with a bright background as well.

Last edited:
Like how the traffic flows into the distance on this. looks like it is going into the mist.

A distant jam you could call it, a good shot and fits the theme.
Like how the traffic flows into the distance on this. looks like it is going into the mist.
I agree with Dave, traffic jam. Sits well with me
I like this.
It's well composed, with great detail and an interesting story.
Leading lines work well, and the blue 'Keep Left' sign is well placed as a nice focal point.
Nice work Steve.(y)
Right on theme and well-composed.

Thanks for all the comments, although it was a quick one to stay on track I did like the way the cars go into the distance and it fade around the bend and into the slight mist that was there.

Steve

Clean, looks like EastEnders but I like the colour and the placement of the washing basket on the table. Only niggle is the closer table being in the way and a bit blurry, I guess there was not mush you could do about it. If you crop out the bottom of the image a bit, the table size is reduced a lot and I don't think it makes much difference to the rest of the image.

Open, fits the theme, I don't think enough of the bottle is in focus and the highlights on the right do not work for me.

Distant, good feeling of distance here, a general every day view, but it works so well for the theme. Nice light in the background trees against the dark colour of the pavement.

Pete

Open - I would like to see a bit more bottle but that is personal preference good idea.

Distant - a lot of traffic like that recently works well for the theme

Week 5 - Cold

This 52 isn't going quite as I'd hoped yet, all set for getting out in the cold and taking something frosty but instead I've been laid up at home taking cold medicine so here is my cold photo...

Tp52 cold by Steve, on Flickr

Apologies on not commenting much this week, will try and catch up on some more over the coming week.

Last edited:
Week 5 - Cold

This 52 isn't going quite as I'd hoped yet, all set for getting out in the cold and taking something frosty but instead I've been laid up at home taking cold medicine so here is my cold photo...

Tp52 cold by Steve, on Flickr

Apologies on not commenting much this week, will try and catch up on some more over the coming week.

Ready for man flue. ;)

Hi Steve, I seem to keep missing you out, apologies for that.
Open certainly packs a punch with the colour, thank you for the link to the app.
Distant, that certainly looks like a long traffic jam, the POV works well for the theme.
Cold, I like this one, good to see something completely different, hope those tablets work and you’re better soon.

Cold

Great idea, it looks a little soft, but you have man flue, so it's totally understandable ;)

Good way of tackling the subject whilst suffering, great idea.
I'd have preferred a straight on view, i.e. the bedside table edges make it look an odd angle, but no biggie. At least you didn't smear anything nasty on the lens for effect!

An interesting take - and get shut of it soon!

Original approach to the theme. Get better soon. Some nice effervescent tlets in the water would have enhanced the photo and given it some bubbles. We never have all the props we could use and if it was me I wouldnt want to go to the shops for a prop for a photo either.

Good to see a different, yet bang on theme shot for the subject.
The angles and close up give the feel of looking out over it from your bed, which also adds to it.
Beecham's Honey & Lemon though should be the drugs of choice. Far nicer than own brand stuff.

Thanks everyone for the comments and the get well soon wishes. The flu hit us all as a family but we are starting to get back to full health and I managed to get a bit of time on the way home from work yesterday to take this weeks shot. Apologies again as I have not been up to commenting but will try and catch up on some this week.

I had a picture in my mind that I wanted but couldn't find a set of lights with the right background so settled on this shot in the end, edited in B&W to meet the technique for these two months as well.

Week 6 - Waiting & B&W Technique.

Wait by Steve, on Flickr

Good idea, Steve (y) It has been great to see so many different ideas for this theme and yours certainly hits the target. Well composed with a nicely OOF background to set the scene, while B&W works well to exclude any colourful distractions and allows the eye to be drawn to and held by the WAIT sign.

Back