weekly Stevesc's 52 in 2016. Week 35 "Black and White" added

Love Technology shot - excellent. The rough is a good choice but I have to admit I didn't know first what was that - interesting though
Thanks. Part of the interest of macros, at least for me, is the different view it gives on things.

Vast - so on theme vast playing area, vast sky, and vast number of people
Rough - great macro interesting shot
Thanks.

Your composite works really well to add vastness to your footie shot and the sandpaper is fascinating - I could work out what it was at all! Nice dof :)
Thanks Emma.

Hi Steve, good job catching up and now I have to catch up on comments, too. ;)

Effort - Love it! I like your composition and the processing. The dullness of the weather gives the photo a carefree, dreamlike quality, which I think fits the surroundings and the action, so I think it works!

Technology - Nice motion captured!

Horizontal - This made me smile. It’s a good idea, definitely, and well taken.

Vast - Wow, the clouds. Seems like you don’t have much luck with the weather? :p I like the dark clouds very much, though, as it gives the scene a sense of drama.

Rough - Hmm, couldn’t figure out what this was supposed to be until I saw the title of the photo “Little rocks” and then I still don’t know what they’re supposed to be. :LOL: You probably did it for a good reason but I feel the dof is a bit too narrow and I don't really know what to make of the very thin strip of in-focus bits. I want to see more bits in focus! :)

Thanks, thanks for taking the time to comment on so many. I'm already behind again with both the theme and commenting :(

The weather never does what I want :) The weather for Vast was a really mixed day. It rained, was blowing a gale and was quite overcast but between the clouds when the sun was out it was quite warm and we actually got slightly burnt during the tournament :confused:

Rough is a macro of sandpaper/glasspaper. It was more an experiment of macro technique than a particularly artistic photo so it's fine that you don't know what to make of it. I did try a higher DOF but even with a tripod the shots came out very blurred, I would probably have needed to stack several shots to get a larger DOF, which is something I might try another time.

Great catch up Steve!

Effort: very much on theme, but I’m not so sure about the composition with your son in the middle of the frame
Technology: I like that very much, and kudos that you managed to push the exposure time up to a quarter of a second without using a tripod. At what time of the day is the Victoria Line platform at Euston that empty?
Horizontal: very clever idea
Vast: the letter box crop adds extra vastness to the scene. Well captured.
Rough: good idea, I’d like to see some more DoF, but it is difficult with extension tubes and a reversed lens

Vast works, but you're limited with the light when shooting these sorts of images. Funnily enough it's easier when we're earlier in the year and matches take place at nice times for golden light!

Rough - brilliant shot really well spotted and a technically excellent capture. I like the ultra shallow DOF as you have enough of it in focus for me. As @alsjazzera says, stacking would probably be the only way to get much more...

Good job!

Like the little green rocks for Rough Steve, did you think about multiple shots and stacking a few together ? I like the DOF but think I would prefer with a few more in focus
Nice idea though

Chris

Hi Steve. I'm having a bit of a catch-up myself. I love the vibrant energy of your tube shot and the slightly abstract trolleys were a great idea. The close-up of the sandpaper is fascinating.

Thanks for commenting, sorry it's taken a while to catch up with some of them.

Great catch up Steve!

Effort: very much on theme, but I’m not so sure about the composition with your son in the middle of the frame
Technology: I like that very much, and kudos that you managed to push the exposure time up to a quarter of a second without using a tripod. At what time of the day is the Victoria Line platform at Euston that empty?
Horizontal: very clever idea
Vast: the letter box crop adds extra vastness to the scene. Well captured.
Rough: good idea, I’d like to see some more DoF, but it is difficult with extension tubes and a reversed lens

Your right about the central composition, I was using the centre focusing point and normally recompose but didn't on these ones. Must look out for that in future.
The technology one, I was leant up against a wall to steady myself a bit. It was taken on a bank holiday monday about midday so was quiter than it would often be. Having said that it was also about timing it right, these were taken near the end of the platform just as the train was leaving and before new passangers had walked up (probably only a second or two window).

Vast works, but you're limited with the light when shooting these sorts of images. Funnily enough it's easier when we're earlier in the year and matches take place at nice times for golden light!

Rough - brilliant shot really well spotted and a technically excellent capture. I like the ultra shallow DOF as you have enough of it in focus for me. As @alsjazzera says, stacking would probably be the only way to get much more...

Good job!

Thanks, the time of day and weather wasn't particularly good for the Vast shot but just had to go with what I could get this time. Will have to have another go when the light is better.

Like the little green rocks for Rough Steve, did you think about multiple shots and stacking a few together ? I like the DOF but think I would prefer with a few more in focus
Nice idea though

Chris

I did consider stacking shots but I was struggling to get a single sharp one let alone several to stack so just went with it this time. I'll definitely have a go at stacking sometime though.

Hi Steve. I'm having a bit of a catch-up myself. I love the vibrant energy of your tube shot and the slightly abstract trolleys were a great idea. The close-up of the sandpaper is fascinating.

Thanks. Feels like I'm forever playing catchup at the moment, I'm behind by at least 3 weeks again!

Oh dear, I'm not doing very well with this 52! Finally got out with the camera yesterday and decided to go to Hastings with a friend for a couple of hours and hopefully get a sunset, instead we had rain and a grey sky so the outcome wasn't quite what I had planned for this weeks theme.

I was hoping to find some nice light on the stony beach for this weeks shot but due to the dull overcast sky I went down a long exposure black and white shot instead. I've not taken or edited one like this before so was fun giving it a go and have learnt a bit in the process. Any advice,tips, critique are very welcome.

hastings B & W by Steve, on Flickr

I like the composition and how you have processed it but I am a little bit in two minds about the lack of a clear horizon. Obviously conditions were against you and I think you have done a good job with it.

Yep I like the sea and sky as one ... almost. Nice FG too.

Love it Steve. Great leading line and perfect choice of b&w given the dull sky. I quite like the blend of sea & sky.

I like the composition and how you have processed it but I am a little bit in two minds about the lack of a clear horizon. Obviously conditions were against you and I think you have done a good job with it.
Thanks, one of the reasons I edited it this way was that there was very little difference in sea/sky colour so not even much of an horizon on the colour version.

I really like it Steve, lovely low aspect, perfect in the b&w, it has a really peaceful feel to it ....very nicely done.
I like it too, like how it all blends in together
Steve, like this. At first I thought I wasn't sure about the pier, then on second thought it adds to the composition. Nice
I love the stones leading you out to the pier, yet the pier not ending up being the focal point it usually is. The monochrome and uniformity of sky/sea create a very calm and subtle mood. Really lovely :clap:
Yep I like the sea and sky as one ... almost. Nice FG too.
I like that love how the rocks and pier standout form the sky and sea
Love it Steve. Great leading line and perfect choice of b&w given the dull sky. I quite like the blend of sea & sky.
Stone - very calm I like the low pov

Thanks for all the comments and apologies for getting behind on commenting on everyone else's. I will try and catch up this week.

That has a fantastic surreal quality to it as the lack of discernable horizon makes it look as if everything is floating. I love it and would hang it on my wall (y)

Wow, hadn't realised it had been so long since I've updated this. I have been in a Greek hospital for a while and then with the kids on school holidays, a car breakdown and our family holiday the time seems to have disappeared without much time for taking photos.

Firstly, thanks @Dark Knight , @pjm1 and @Bruja for commenting on my last picture, it's much appreciated and I apologise for not replying earlier.

Second, I was debating just stopping this 52 for the year but then decided that although I have missed more than I have done it was something I still wanted to keep going with. Over the weeks I have completed there have been shots/techniques that I would not have done without this challenge and I hope to get a few more before the end of the year. To that end I have decided to just do as many as I can fit in and see where I get at the end of the year.

We have just had a family holiday in the Yorkshire Dales and I was hoping to catch up a few that I had missed to this point, however the cottage we hired ended up without any internet or mobile coverage so I was unable to look up the list of subjects I had missed (must remember to write them down next time) so that meant that the only one I have caught up with is this one for Week 30 (Lone):

the lone tree by Steve, on Flickr

I'm hoping to do this weeks theme today and then get back to doing them weekly again. I'll also try and start commenting on everyone else's again.

I hope all is well now Steve (ref the hospital).
And of course there are no rules to say you have to do every week, people have different priorities / obligations, just post when you can (y)

Nice lone tree, fits the theme well.

Keep going Steve. That is a beautiful shot for Lone - great composition with the fg rocks creating lead-in lines. Colour and lighting are just fabulous. Like it.

I hope all is well now Steve (ref the hospital).
And of course there are no rules to say you have to do every week, people have different priorities / obligations, just post when you can (y)

Nice lone tree, fits the theme well.
Thanks, I have some tests to be done but nothing seems to serious.

Keep going Steve. That is a beautiful shot for Lone - great composition with the fg rocks creating lead-in lines. Colour and lighting are just fabulous. Like it.

Thanks, I was fortunate with the light, the Sun just dropped below the clouds before a large rain shower arrived.

There's nothing like a lone tree ... and this gnarled old thing makes a super image on that rough terrain under that moody sky. (y)

Great photo of the lone tree. I like the dramatic lighting and sky, and the rocks in the foreground. Very well composed!

In an attempt to get last weeks theme done before the new one for this week I took these two this morning but had trouble uploading them to Flickr so didn't manage to get them on here until after week 34 was announced (so near but failed again :)).

While we were away last week at a cottage in Yorkshire, this and Uno became the games of choice for our kids to play with us.

1:
Game 1 by Steve, on Flickr

2:
Game by Steve, on Flickr

Time sure does pass quickly in the 52 world - Glad to see you back in, and a sensible plan to just do what you can as there is still plenty to do, learn and enjoy (y)

Lonely - Very nice tree, I wish I had a lone tree around here, nowt that I know of at all, love the light on your shot :)

Game - like this idea, nice close in shot, strong prime colours, I'm torn between your shots, I like the angles of the first, but the good DoF on the battleship on the second :thinking:

I prefer the angled shot for game. Great colours, nice DoF. If I had something to nitpick on it would be that the second pin from the top isn't straight...

Time sure does pass quickly in the 52 world - Glad to see you back in, and a sensible plan to just do what you can as there is still plenty to do, learn and enjoy (y)

Lonely - Very nice tree, I wish I had a lone tree around here, nowt that I know of at all, love the light on your shot :)

Game - like this idea, nice close in shot, strong prime colours, I'm torn between your shots, I like the angles of the first, but the good DoF on the battleship on the second :thinking:

Cheers, good to be getting back into this. The tree was taken on holiday and only a short walk from the cottage we were staying in. I agree that the second Game shot could use slightly more DOF but I did prefer the angles.

I prefer the angled shot for game. Great colours, nice DoF. If I had something to nitpick on it would be that the second pin from the top isn't straight...

haha... I missed that peg during the set up. Really annoyed me when I saw it but didn't have time to reshoot so will just have to live with it.

Lone is great, makes me want to see more on the right. Perhaps a different POV ? Makes me wonder, like that

Thanks, there wasn't a lot to the right as the limestone was on top of a small hill and it just drops off that side, I have some slightly different POVs but the light was very flat. The best shot for the limestone was from the other side as it really leads into the tree but then the tree would have been silouhetted against the sun. I was hoping to go up for a sunrise but the opportunites I had the weather was not suitable.

Really like the lone tree shot, very nice composition, of the two for game I like the second one wonky peg and all

:agree: Great idea for the theme - been a while with Battleships .... all this high tech stuff with boards ad pegs, what happened with gridded paper and pencils?

Really like the lone tree shot, very nice composition, of the two for game I like the second one wonky peg and all
Thanks Allan, pleased you liked the wonky peg, even though it was a mistake :)

:agree: Great idea for the theme - been a while with Battleships .... all this high tech stuff with boards ad pegs, what happened with gridded paper and pencils?

Thanks Carl, I don't think I ever played battleships on paper...we did think about downloading a battleships app for them when we got home but they are still into playing board games/card games at the moment (rather than electronic games) which has made a nice change.

Last edited:
Having decided to try and get back into this 52 I wanted to make an effort to get out and take something for the theme this week. So I dragged myself out of bed on Tuesday morning to get a sunrise at the local lakes only for it to be totally foggy and a complete waste of time, not to be put off I then made the effort again yesterday and was rewarded with much better conditions. Took several shots that I like but the one I think most fits the theme for this week is:

Serene:
Haysden sunrise by Steve, on Flickr

Nice reflections and I like how you have the horizon in the top third most people would have done the reverse, works for me

Yes nice placement of horizon, colour and super clear reflection.

Back