weekly Superpippo's 52's for 2012 -Week 52 Busy added THE END

Evening...

Pack is on theme. Nice and close. I'd like to see a bit of movement.

Art on theme again. I can see why the frame is there but feel it would be better without.

Colour, literal. As said, a more abstract take may assist.

Shadow, I like. Well exposed and composed and I really like how it's just touching the card a bit.

Cheers.

Week 49 Glow

The glow from nebula alanus scriptor vivente igne

DSC_2527_edited-4.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Alan.

Colour I like, but somehow I think it needs to be less clearly a radiator to really work. Maybe a closer shot with a shallow DoF, to make it more abstract?

Shadow is brilliant! I love that you've left the hand in shot yet limited the shadow to the glasses, the composition is unusual but very very effective, and the graduated shadow through the lenses, and the exposure, is perfect. I really can't fault this one!

Thanks Mark. Take the point about the radiator. i did try it at diff apertures but it just seemed to get indistinct/blurry throughout. I struggled with this topic and yet what could be simpler than 'colour'?

Morning Alan. Colour, I like the idea there, but I would suggest an abstract take on it too, like Mark suggested. Shadow, great shot indeed, Great exposure and lighting. Well done.

Thanks Michael

Evening...

Pack is on theme. Nice and close. I'd like to see a bit of movement.

Art on theme again. I can see why the frame is there but feel it would be better without.

Colour, literal. As said, a more abstract take may assist.

Shadow, I like. Well exposed and composed and I really like how it's just touching the card a bit.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Useful perspectives.

Age – Good BW conversion with excellent tonal range
Spread – Like your interpretation for theme with both and think #2 would have been my choice. Lighting handled very well.
Together – Works for me. Like the crop as it is
Pack – Good shot and typical of the ref to be in the way.
Art – Definitely on theme and colours seem just right

Thanks for dropping by John and your thoughtful comments

Hi Alan, comment catch up time again. :)

Colour, is on theme certainly but I feel it just needs a little something else :thinking: I am not sure what though. Sorry for being a bit vague but its just not grabbing me.

Shadow, lovely (y) Excellent crisp shadow, again bang on theme. Maybe just needs the hand/arm resting on something to give a little context but other than that I wouldn't change anything.

Glow, again lovely. I particularly like the vibrant colour tones in the flame. Well composed, its one of those images which I can see other things in it. I see some dragon or other mythical beasts mouth, with large teeth :wacky: :LOL:

Good work all round though Alan (y)

really nicely exposed on what is a difficult subject nice colours, nice title too no idea what that means

Hi Alan

no particulr order here...

Saw your image for Glow & went "wow...thats lovely "...no crit from me , can almost feel the heat from the glowing embers..beautiful :clap::clap:

Color...like it , nice strong color , good angle & very sharp (y)

Shadow...tricky to expose but you've nailed it , good angle , strong shadow , like the frame of black around the white which makes the image really pop (y)

Hi Alan, comment catch up time again. :)

Colour, is on theme certainly but I feel it just needs a little something else :thinking: I am not sure what though. Sorry for being a bit vague but its just not grabbing me.

Shadow, lovely (y) Excellent crisp shadow, again bang on theme. Maybe just needs the hand/arm resting on something to give a little context but other than that I wouldn't change anything.

Glow, again lovely. I particularly like the vibrant colour tones in the flame. Well composed, its one of those images which I can see other things in it. I see some dragon or other mythical beasts mouth, with large teeth :wacky: :LOL:

Good work all round though Alan (y)

Thanks Iain. Understand your points on Colour.

Shadow I am very happy with. I wanted to get the arm resting a table but the shadow 'hole' was too high - sun shining through kitchen window. But I was pleased with the rsult, partic the lavender colour of the spec arms and the underside of the hand.

Glow - I see a mythical bull type creature lying down looking to the right.

really nicely exposed on what is a difficult subject nice colours, nice title too no idea what that means

Thanks Allan

The shot brought to mind shots of nebula and a quick use of google translate got me to the nebula of alan's living fire. Pretentious I know:D

Hi Alan

no particulr order here...

Saw your image for Glow & went "wow...thats lovely "...no crit from me , can almost feel the heat from the glowing embers..beautiful :clap::clap:

Color...like it , nice strong color , good angle & very sharp (y)

Shadow...tricky to expose but you've nailed it , good angle , strong shadow , like the frame of black around the white which makes the image really pop (y)

Thanks Lynne for the kind comments

Glow is good Alan! I'm not sure if I'd like a bit more context; possibly not as I like it as it is.

Colour – Good spot for this one. My eye keeps being drawn to the silver image in the middle. I can’t work it out. . What is it?

Shadow – Nice thinking on this one. The shadow of the lenses works quite well.

Glow – You’ve captured some nice colours in the flames. Is this taken through glass or direct to the fire?

Glow is good Alan! I'm not sure if I'd like a bit more context; possibly not as I like it as it is.

Thanks Mark. Initially I wanted more context and I took more shots with context (the fender etc) but had difficulty with reflections in the metal. Concentrating on the flame and coals gave an image that I preferred.

Colour – Good spot for this one. My eye keeps being drawn to the silver image in the middle. I can’t work it out. . What is it?

Shadow – Nice thinking on this one. The shadow of the lenses works quite well.

Glow – You’ve captured some nice colours in the flames. Is this taken through glass or direct to the fire?

Thanks Peter.
Silver image in middle of colour is the hexagonal bolt that holds the rad to the wall.
For Glow I took the shot direct to the fire.

'ello, Glow...never easy photographing fire so well done for getting some nice colours; and well done for the Latin (I think :D).

Bit of fill flash may have given some detail in the blacks?

Cheers.

Week 50 Round

When this theme was chosen I knew what i wanted to do. However the right weather and the tide being out have not coincided.

Bearing in mind that we are near the end of the 2012 : 52 I was not sure that I could fit it in before the end of the year and having caught up to date I did not want to delay. I could have taken a shot of another subject but I had been out late one afternoon about 2 weeks ago and taken shots of this subject. So I am going to take a bit of licence and go for this. - which is at least the same subject that I would have taken if conditions had come right this week.

DSC_2335_-_Copy_edited-3_-_Copy.jpg

'ello, Glow...never easy photographing fire so well done for getting some nice colours; and well done for the Latin (I think :D).

Bit of fill flash may have given some detail in the blacks?

Cheers.

Thanks Andy - did not think of that. I will have a go at that for experience over Christmas. Might help me to start to learn a bit about flash.

glow - great image, fits the theme, no hot spots (despite the heat lol), and I like the blacks as they are so you only see the fire :)

round - again on theme and I know exactly what you mean about using ones taken a couple of weeks before lol. Mind I think this would have looked great with snow on it, like a xmas pud. Now I like the moon being visible but it looks a little close to the subject. I don't like the lamps in the bg tho as I don't think they add to the image, they distract a lil bit, so I would probably clone em out

Last edited:
Hi Alan

interesting subject for Round , but I like it (y) possibly clone the rh orby thing out...still pondering the lh ones as I think the main one with the moon is strong enough to stand alone as a image ?

Gotta ask...what are the & where are they ?

nice pic for round not sure it needs the lower round things aswell

Nice one for round!

I agree that the lanterns/beacons are a distraction, and it'd be ideal with the sculpture and the moon on opposing thirds I guess, but never-the-less, it works very very well and is bang on theme.

I recognise the subject. We used to live about four streets inland from there.

Good selection for this and I like the fact the moon is in the shot as well. I can't see you in the reflections - did you clone yourself out or manage to hide.

glow - great image, fits the theme, no hot spots (despite the heat lol), and I like the blacks as they are so you only see the fire :)

round - again on theme and I know exactly what you mean about using ones taken a couple of weeks before lol. Mind I think this would have looked great with snow on it, like a xmas pud. Now I like the moon being visible but it looks a little close to the subject. I don't like the lamps in the bg tho as I don't think they add to the image, they distract a lil bit, so I would probably clone em out

Thanks Summer - I take your point re the lamps at the bottom but I thought that these created some context whilst also being round. They are the lamps that light the disco ball at night. I did clone out some wires and one of the small wind turbines which stand behind.

Hi Alan

interesting subject for Round , but I like it (y) possibly clone the rh orby thing out...still pondering the lh ones as I think the main one with the moon is strong enough to stand alone as a image ?

Gotta ask...what are the & where are they ?

Thanks Lynne - se explanation above. The disco ball is on the prom at Blackpool -about 5 metres diameter I would guess

Pretty much what Lynne said!

Thanks Michael

Nice one for round!

I agree that the lanterns/beacons are a distraction, and it'd be ideal with the sculpture and the moon on opposing thirds I guess, but never-the-less, it works very very well and is bang on theme.

Thanks Mark

I recognise the subject. We used to live about four streets inland from there.

Good selection for this and I like the fact the moon is in the shot as well. I can't see you in the reflections - did you clone yourself out or manage to hide.

Thanks Peter - managed to get myself in a position that did not reflect in the shot.

That's brilliant Alan! I like that the image is enhanced by being negative, with the stark contrast between the black and the white, yet with just enough detail retained. Great take on the theme well executed :)

Hi Alan
Glow = bang on theme with a good spectrum of colours. Not sure about the latin description:LOL:
Round - Another good image although I can't see the merit of the other bits at the bottom, as others have said. Rather than clone out, if possible I would try and move these up to the lower third and provide a framing around the large ball.
Negative - Very nice and great detail retained in the coat and hat(y)

Hi, Round is on theme and I like the inclusion of the moon. Just the lower balls I find a tad distracting.

Negative, cracked. Well composed and the composition works well.

Cheers.

:LOL: Cracking image for negative Alan, another with a story behind it.
The detail is all there, composition and crop perfect as well.

Oh and I am with you on self portraits :puke:
I have a face for radio :LOL:

Hi Alan

God I'm REALLY behind on your thread :bonk:

Pack, like Iain says the so called easy shots are never that! Lighting is spot on, I think I would have cropped the guy out on the left and just concentrated in the pack. Either way you've got some good expressions on the two guys(y)

Art, is this your handy work? I took a photo of my daughter colouring as a back up so it gets my vote(y)

Colour, I like the composition, just enough to know it's a radiator and not too much or it could have been boring! I would have cloned/ cropped that teeny bit of wall or something out top left!

Shadow, very clever lighting and idea, no crit here :clap:

Glow, superb shot, you've done well with the lighting to avoid hot spots (literally) and keep the background black.

Round, I like that, I'm not sure on the moon though :thinking: At first I liked it, them I think it draws my eye :bonk:

Negative, fits the theme both for the colours and content, with detail where it's needed (y)

Phew I'm caught up with you! Only one theme left :clap:

That's brilliant Alan! I like that the image is enhanced by being negative, with the stark contrast between the black and the white, yet with just enough detail retained. Great take on the theme well executed :)

Thanks Mark. Pretty pleased with it.

Hi Alan
Glow = bang on theme with a good spectrum of colours. Not sure about the latin description
Round - Another good image although I can't see the merit of the other bits at the bottom, as others have said. Rather than clone out, if possible I would try and move these up to the lower third and provide a framing around the large ball.
Negative - Very nice and great detail retained in the coat and hat(y)

Thanks for the comments. Good idea about the disco ball . It is always agood spot for a reshoot.

nice image for negative great thinking behind it too

Cheers

Hi, Round is on theme and I like the inclusion of the moon. Just the lower balls I find a tad distracting.

Negative, cracked. Well composed and the composition works well.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. Point about Round noted.

:LOL: Cracking image for negative Alan, another with a story behind it.
The detail is all there, composition and crop perfect as well.

Oh and I am with you on self portraits
I have a face for radio

Radio or the internet /forums :D

Hi Alan

fab ikdea & image for Negative , good detail in the coat & the hand, great contrast twixt Black & WHite....nice one mister :clap:

Thanks Lynne

Hi Alan

God I'm REALLY behind on your thread

Pack, like Iain says the so called easy shots are never that! Lighting is spot on, I think I would have cropped the guy out on the left and just concentrated in the pack. Either way you've got some good expressions on the two guys(y)

Art, is this your handy work? I took a photo of my daughter colouring as a back up so it gets my vote(y)

Colour, I like the composition, just enough to know it's a radiator and not too much or it could have been boring! I would have cloned/ cropped that teeny bit of wall or something out top left!

Shadow, very clever lighting and idea, no crit here :clap:

Glow, superb shot, you've done well with the lighting to avoid hot spots (literally) and keep the background black.

Round, I like that, I'm not sure on the moon though :thinking: At first I liked it, them I think it draws my eye :bonk:

Negative, fits the theme both for the colours and content, with detail where it's needed (y)

Phew I'm caught up with you! Only one theme left :clap:

Thanks Marsha - marathon comments and all relaevant

This is a shot that can be shown in negative and still work. Nice idea to do a SP.

Cheers Peter.

Week 52 Busy

Well here is the last one for this year. Been pretty busy with the festivities but getting back to normal.

I like this idea for the theme but i only had small compact with me on the day. So shot with a the self timer to try to get detail in floor and movement in the feet. Not great but I am pretty pleased and I think that the conversion helps to make it a better image.

IMG_4505_-_Copy_edited-1_-_Copy_edited-1.jpg

I like this one Alan. The shutter speed used has given it a sense of movement to the image and the toning has given it a bit of an ageless feel as well. Nice one

Congratulations on completing your 52.

Hi Alan,

Glow - Good comp and colours, and I can almost feel the heat from the fire. Very nice.

Round - I actually like the lamps; them being round and their position in the frame work for me. I'm seeing some artifacts around the edges of the disco ball and the lamps, not sure if this is due to compression or something else?

Negative - Great, can't fault it.

Congrats on completing the challenge, and thank you for all your comments.

I love your busy shot Alan :) everything about it, the drop, the motion blur, the tone and the composition, come together to make it work.

Hey Alan :)

Catch up time, sorry but it will be brief as I want to get comments up to date :)

Pack - Nice colourful shot, bang on theme, action well frozen/caught

Art - Aweeee bless, you have not gone over the lines much :D a nice idea, well lit

Colour - Now that's interesting, nice bold shape, the shiny silver blob is a bit distracting, but that is minor, liking the composition :)

Shadow - Nicely done, liking that alot, no crit from me (y)

Glow - Oooo I cold do with that here now, lovely image - nice one

Round - Lots of different rounds there, like the close shiny one, and the moon, shame the others aren't a bit higher in the shot :)

Negative - Liking that (y)

Busy - Very different, liking the low perspective and the wide crop, what a great finish

I hate to be repeating myself on all the finished threads, but I really have enjoyed seeing your 52's this year - fantastic job getting finished :clap:

Back