Week 45 : Pack
Week 46 : Art
Week 47 : Colour
Week 48 : Shadow
Week 49 : Glow
Week 50 : Round
Week 51 : Negative
Week 52 : Busy

Ok - so here goes. I have been on TP for some time and have enjoyed looking at all the good stuff that is posted. So I decided last week to have a go at this. It is astonishing how 2 simple words can occupy the mind. I have had a lot of fun trying to get photos to warrant inclusion. I will stick with the suggested rules plus 2 of my own. One, I will try to briefly summarise what, if anything I learned from taking each pic - I know that there are lots of threads and it is a big task to go through them so by setting out what I think, maybe it will make it easier for any comments. Two- I can break the rules!

I will try to comment on others to be part of the process and I will try to be succinct.

Week 1 - Direction

DSC_0947_640x428_.jpg

Points learned - a steady hand and fast speed needed for long zoom lens
- software technique for sharpening and exposure
- good light v. important - taken similar on a grey day and poor results.

Week 2 - Fear

DSC_0915_640x424_.jpg

I found this a difficult subject and I am not sure that i have cracked it. My ideas seemed to dwell on fear of death rather than anything else - so a bit macabre walking round gravestones etc.

Points learned - DoF to suggest the unknown beyond the sign
- topicality may be an issue.

Alternative F.E.A.R.

DSC_0868_640x422_.jpg

I was watching Sherlock Holmes on Sunday which was all about fear and in it he was trying to work out the significance of the word HOUND and he came up with H.O.U.N.D. - and I could not get this out of my mind. so I came up with Fried Egg And Relish. Now that may be a bit pathetic and way off topic but i had a fun time trying to photo this. Took about 90 (!) shots with various props.
Points learned - Food is really hard to get right and even under modest table lamps it goes stale.
- Use of Nikon 10-24 invaluable and really started to learn its capabilities
- My use of monitor on camera really poor as it was not until on PC that I could judge depth of field, point of light etc.
- Not happy with small amount of white plate above egg - either more or let the egg stand above it
- Don't get relish on camera!

Otherwise I am pretty happy with my first attempts at table top stuff

Mods or anyone else

If I have to sign up or subscribe elsewhere, please could you let me know.

Last edited:
welcome aboard Alan

Direction, yep works for me on theme, but maybe would look better straightened up a bit.

Fear clever play on words and the photos pretty good as well

Hey Alan :)

Wk1 - Nice colours and wind direction is a good take on the theme, I guess the boat was on shore hence the angle :)

Wk2 - Another that had me scratching my head... was thinking fear of salmonella until I read your description - Great play on the theme - Love the idea (y)

Good luck with the rest of your 52... I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Well done I like the fact that you have had a really good think in depth cool well done you
Great shots to go with it

I like the take on direction and the lovely vivid colours you've got to illustrate it. As for the F.E.A.R., well done Holmes! A really good interpretation of the theme, thinking well outside the box. I think I’d have liked a slightly higher view, but I do like it.

Excellent start to your 52 Challenge, Alan.

Direction; love the shot. Sharp, vivid colour and the contrast between the blue sky and the red flag just make it stand out. Well done on able to hand held the camera with a long zoom and still able to achieve sharp result. :clap:

Fear; preferred the 1st shot. Good dof but shame about the object to the left and the dirt on the sign. Don't get the 2nd shot and didn't watch the program either.

welcome aboard Alan

Direction, yep works for me on theme, but maybe would look better straightened up a bit.

Fear clever play on words and the photos pretty good as well

Hey Alan :)

Wk1 - Nice colours and wind direction is a good take on the theme, I guess the boat was on shore hence the angle :)

Wk2 - Another that had me scratching my head... was thinking fear of salmonella until I read your description - Great play on the theme - Love the idea (y)

Good luck with the rest of your 52... I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

Love 1 & 2. #3 lost me

Well done I like the fact that you have had a really good think in depth cool well done you
Great shots to go with it

Hi there great shots I especially like the F E A R take on the theme. I look forward to the next 50

Fab ~ loved F.E.A.R and your description of the learning curve, thanks Mandy

I like the take on direction and the lovely vivid colours you've got to illustrate it. As for the F.E.A.R., well done Holmes! A really good interpretation of the theme, thinking well outside the box. I think I’d have liked a slightly higher view, but I do like it.

Excellent start to your 52 Challenge, Alan.

Direction; love the shot. Sharp, vivid colour and the contrast between the blue sky and the red flag just make it stand out. Well done on able to hand held the camera with a long zoom and still able to achieve sharp result. :clap:

Fear; preferred the 1st shot. Good dof but shame about the object to the left and the dirt on the sign. Don't get the 2nd shot and didn't watch the program either.

Thanks to all of you for taking the trouble to comment and the encouraging words. It's good to hear differing opinions as to how you would have treated the shots, particularly the differing opinions as to whether to stick more literally to the subject. Whilst it may be appropriate to stray off line perhaps i should ensure that there is a better link between the topic and the photos, by all means making people think but at least the link being obvious once it has been worked out. I hope that makes sense.:thinking:

i will look at all of yours later.

I love your direction shot, lovely vivid colours.

I like both your interpretations of fear.

Excellent DOF on the Cockle picking sign.

The F.E.A.R had me confused until I read your description. I would say maybe try and get the whole plate in focus. But after so many attempts I'm sure you've had enough of that! The colours against the black background stand out well though.

mtjhome said:
Maybe we can learn from F E A R to help us with S I G H ???

Oh yes!

Hi
3 good shots imo, The direction shot I would have cropped slightly so the rigging on the left comes in from the corner. I think your alternative F.E.A.R is a better shot that the sign and I think outside the box interpretations to themes are always good :)

Direction : I like it, the red flag contrasting against the blue sky... A white fluffy cloud or two might have enhanced it a bit, but that's ok. The direction is clear.

Fear : The first works, but rather than less DOF to hide behind the sign... perhaps moving the sign a little to the side and showing a long expanse of shoreline would work

Alternate : :D... clever play on words.. not much to say that you haven't to be honest. Although, perhaps, as the relish is part of the title, it needs to be in focus ??

Hi
3 good shots imo, The direction shot I would have cropped slightly so the rigging on the left comes in from the corner. :)

Good Idea - I will try that out

Direction : I like it, the red flag contrasting against the blue sky... A white fluffy cloud or two might have enhanced it a bit, but that's ok. The direction is clear.

Fear : The first works, but rather than less DOF to hide behind the sign... perhaps moving the sign a little to the side and showing a long expanse of shoreline would work

Alternate : :D... clever play on words.. not much to say that you haven't to be honest. Although, perhaps, as the relish is part of the title, it needs to be in focus ??

good suggestion on the shoreline take.

I love your direction shot, lovely vivid colours.

I like both your interpretations of fear.

Excellent DOF on the Cockle picking sign.

The F.E.A.R had me confused until I read your description. I would say maybe try and get the whole plate in focus. But after so many attempts I'm sure you've had enough of that! The colours against the black background stand out well though.

Oh yes!

Ta

It's all been said I think. Well done on getting these done. I really like your thinking with the egg and relish for f.e.a.r. Good luck with the rest of the project.
(y)

Ta

I must say that as a newcomer to this challenge (and I have not really made many photo posts in general), I am really enjoying thinking about the themes and how to interpret them. It feels different to some random walk with my camera shooting whatever takes my eye. 'Sigh' is givingme some problems (!) as I have an idea but finding it difficult to light. But there is the title of the thread CHALLENGE.

Also the cameraderie through the electronic ether has a warm feeling to it.(y)

Thanks for taking the trouble and commenting.

Ta
I must say that as a newcomer to this challenge (and I have not really made many photo posts in general), I am really enjoying thinking about the themes and how to interpret them. It feels different to some random walk with my camera shooting whatever takes my eye. 'Sigh' is givingme some problems (!) as I have an idea but finding it difficult to light. But there is the title of the thread CHALLENGE.

Also the cameraderie through the electronic ether has a warm feeling to it.(y)

Thanks for taking the trouble and commenting.

(y) I did this project for the first time last year, and felt exactly the same. Support throughout the year is excellent, and the more you do the more you *** to do it too. Which is why I am doing it for the 2nd year running. Good luck with the sigh image, I too was wondering what on earth can do, then things just jumped out of the blue, and bingo, I had my pics for sigh

Great set Alan, I am particularly impressed with "Direction" and FEAR #2. The colours and saturation are really spot on with both, but especially the Egg with the Black background. Look forward to the rest.:clap:

Ok I have been a long time with Sigh and then pushed on to Sweet. Still not sure that I have got them as I imagined them to be. But here they are:

Sigh.
I am happy with the concept of the shot and pretty happy with the composition. Lighting was a bit awkward, as I always seem to find out. May need to invest in some sort of lighting/off camera flash
DSC_1124_500x328_.jpg

An alternative which i really like but which is heavily cropped, and maybe pensive with a sigh?

DSC_0287_321x500_1.jpg

Sweet

Another indoor shot - I have found it hard in all of the last 3 weeks to envisage a shot that illustrates the themes outdoors. But I was looking at some art books and i have tried to recreate a still life after the Northern European style.

DSC_1077_334x500_.jpg

I have an alternative below but this was a shot taken in a public place and ther is no relationship with the subject. i am never too sure whether ethically it is right to post such in a public site and I would be pleased to receive any views on that issue as well.

IMG_3844_500x375_.jpg

Please feel free to comment in any way you like - I am becoming more comfortable with comments and am happy to consider anything, however harsh.:)

I like your style its got something I can't put my finger on I will return to more

Hi Alan....'pologies for not getting to your thread earlier....catching up as quick as I can

Direction....like it...simple with great colors & on theme...slight straighten but otherwise...:clap:

Fear....love you idea...really good & different...like the angle.....brilliant :clap:

Sweet....on theme...nicely laid out , possibly lose a little from the bottom & add a bit to the top, get the decanter thingy all in ?...nice shot though :)

Sigh...1st image fits the bill & I can relate to that image...it's exactly what I do after shopping :LOL: 2nd image....good thinking & again on theme...slight crop of the foot niggle but good shot for a difficult theme (y)

Hi, yes I agree about the second sigh shot, she's lost the end of some of her tootsies! Nice pic though.

I like the lighting on the first sweet shot, but agree about cropping it slightly at the bottom. What about making the cake the central POV as it is the sweet part of the image?

I think think the image of the little boy is a tad dark around his face. Difficult lighting though!

superpippo said:
I have an alternative below but this was a shot taken in a public place and ther is no relationship with the subject. i am never too sure whether ethically it is right to post such in a public site and I would be pleased to receive any views on that issue as well.
I'm not sure on legalities but I know when I was taking pictures of my daughter at a soft play area a lady got REALLY anxious that I was taking pictures of her grandson too! People get VERY nervous when strangers start photographing children!

Thanks all for taking the touble to comment

Hi Alan...
Sweet....on theme...nicely laid out , possibly lose a little from the bottom & add a bit to the top, get the decanter thingy all in ?...nice shot though :)

Sigh... 2nd image....good thinking & again on theme...slight crop of the foot niggle but good shot for a difficult theme (y)

Point taken on Sweet - had another look at the original and see that I have hardly cropped it so the edge of jug and top are not on original - shame - need to be much more careful. (Need a bigger preview screen - have to try to use this as a reason for getting D7000:D)

Hi, yes I agree about the second sigh shot, she's lost the end of some of her tootsies! Nice pic though.

I like the lighting on the first sweet shot, but agree about cropping it slightly at the bottom. What about making the cake the central POV as it is the sweet part of the image?

On Sigh - took this some time ago in Paris - really liked the full scale bronze - but again, careless framing on my part. Same goes for framing on Sweet, although it was my intention that all three items - cake, grapes and wine (a Beerenauslese) should be the sweet theme.

...Your 1st sweet is quite nicely done too, little niggle with the clipped jug, apart from that a nice image (y)

Yes agree with point :bonk:

What Dark Knight said! Like your take on sigh.

Ta

Both Sigh and Sweet have been challenging themes but they work. Good luck with the rest of your 52.

Ta

I don't know how I've missed yours before but I'm trying to catch up tonight!

I like your first on sigh, it was a challenging theme but you photographed a good idea that I can relate to!!

Well done and I look forward to seeing your secure shot soon!:)

I think that the statue for "sigh" edges it over the cuppa shot for me. The still life is a great shot with sublime lighting and encapsulates "sweet" in several different ways. Great start to your first month.(y):clap:

I'm way behind on both my own and looking at others so I'm playing catchup :(

Sigh - definitely the second one, although you've cropped the statues toes a little. And that's why I don't like the first one, the persons feet have been cropped off completely :-(

Sweet - First one is well set up but not saying sweet to me, just saying supper. Good composition though but would certainly crop a little off the bottom.

Second ones a good capture but there's a little too much shadow losing the details in his face, I'd be tempted to crop that lump of wall off the right too.

I don't know how I've missed yours before but I'm trying to catch up tonight!

I like your first on sigh, it was a challenging theme but you photographed a good idea that I can relate to!!

Well done and I look forward to seeing your secure shot soon!:)

Thanks Sarah. :)

I think that the statue for "sigh" edges it over the cuppa shot for me. The still life is a great shot with sublime lighting and encapsulates "sweet" in several different ways. Great start to your first month.(y):clap:

Thanks feek. Ireally liked the statue and wished that I had been more careful with the shot - a bit straighter and some bracketing to get the optimum exposure

I'm way behind on both my own and looking at others so I'm playing catchup :(

Sigh - definitely the second one, although you've cropped the statues toes a little. And that's why I don't like the first one, the persons feet have been cropped off completely :-(

Sweet - First one is well set up but not saying sweet to me, just saying supper. Good composition though but would certainly crop a little off the bottom.

Second ones a good capture but there's a little too much shadow losing the details in his face, I'd be tempted to crop that lump of wall off the right too.

Thanks - all useful comments for taking forward in the Challenge(y)

Back