weekly Suvv's 52 for 2014 - Wk10 Time added

I thought of all sorts to get 'close' as in the way you have done it but everything I thought of wasn't quite 'close' but more closed, closing, closer etc. good pic though.

Thanks for all the comments. Glad I was close enough to the theme for most of you :rolleyes:

Hi
Like the colours and angle of 'Line'
Good colours and use of rule of thirds for 'Close'
Would like to see B/W version too?

Thanks for looking & the comments.
Here is a B&W version, I still prefer the colour one.:)

Close_009_zps5e3e3933.jpg

Just need to sort out Bubble now!

A bit of a ramble this week so feel free to skip to the end :)

I was not sure about this theme as I could imagine lots of shots all the same and it would be hard to do something different. Then when I saw various entries I was still not that keen on having to make bubbles and take pictures of them so I decided to use the bubble (or bull's eye, stretching the theme a bit) in a door and put something behind it. I did not have anything colourful enough so I printed out an A4 copy of my line entry and used that:
Bubble_021_zpsa6e9dbd9.jpg

Its OK but I was not happy using a past image so I took a shot of the design on a window and used that:

Bubble_024_zpse568d18b.jpg

A bit so-so and you can see lots of marks on the glass.

Bubbles it was then. I found some bubble mixture that the grandchildren had not used, I read that glycerine helps bubbles last longer but I did not have any, until I remembered the cough mixture - glycerine and liquid sugar, this has the advantage that if you suck instead of blow when making the bubbles you still get poisoned but at least you don't cough:).

Several bubbles later and a messy kitchen gave me:

Bubble_007_zps8d02f226.jpg

Quite pleased with that but I don't think I will be choosing Bubble for a Re-Shoot :D

Last edited:
Well done, it's not an easy task I did the same thing and ended up with a messy kitchen to. Good attempt can clearly see it's a bubble, I am not so keen on the red background tho. That aside it's very fitting for the them and better than my attempts, as I hadn't done it before.

Well done, it's not an easy task I did the same thing and ended up with a messy kitchen to. Good attempt can clearly see it's a bubble, I am not so keen on the red background tho. That aside it's very fitting for the them and better than my attempts, as I hadn't done it before.

Thanks for the comments Mandy. I could have gone for blue I suppose:
Bubble_007_Blue_zpsfbd6c4fb.jpg

But now someone won't like the yellow on top :rolleyes:

Hi, Bubble, looks a tad soft. But the done works well. The red blob on the top does slightly spoil the oval shape.

Cheers.
Sorry but I have to agree with this.

Thanks for commenting.
I agree about the softness, the camera was on a tripod but the bubble was hand-held :). I did think about a stand & clamps but decided to live with it.
I quite like the red blob though.
Realised that I hadn't re-sharpened the image after resizing - image changed with a small amount of Hi Pass sharpening applied.

Last edited:
With better lighting you may have had a catch light on the bubble to make it more interesting... Agree with the red blob comments being a bit off putting though...
Even though I follow Man Utd, the blue background suits it better... ;)

Thanks for the comments.
The red blob is actually a little blob of water which was hanging from the bottom of the bubble, I rotated the image 180 to get the dome. The blob is red because that was the colour of the food dye I put in to try and make the bubble coloured, it didn't really work as the film is so thin. I used a red card as the background to try and bring out the red of the bubble, that didn't work either :D
I still like the blob though :)

Good image Kev, like the reflections (y) I was a little confused by the blobs, but you've explained above :)

Closed: Really like that. The composition is strong with the use of bold lines and rule of thirds.....Somehow reminds me of my youth and days spent in the shed at the bottome of the garden.

Bubble: The Glass bullseye ones dont work for me.....perhaps could be improved if the background were a little further back? I do like the bold cut off composition of the third and blue background works best for me (y)

Thanks for looking and the comments. I agree about the bulls eye, I just could not get anything big enough and far enough away to look more abstract. Glad you like Close Jason, I was not sure how many people it would appeal to :)

Hi ya

laughed out loud when I read your comment " this has the advantage that if you suck instead of blow when making the bubbles you still get poisoned but at least you don't cough " :LOL:

#2 shot with the bluey bg works way better.... softness has been mentioned but I quite like the yellow blob on top...:)

Thanks for looking & the comments. I am glad that some other people like the blob as well. :)

Lots of trouble this week! I can't stand the smell of any smoke so incense etc. was out, I was hoping to get some smoking chimneys but no chance this week so I trawled the archives to come up with this:

smoke_zpsa8f3264d.jpg

A matter of moving on to the next theme now :)

Last edited:
Hi Kev
Catchup
Line - good idea, decent colour and good diags
Play - good idea. Punchy colours. Without the context of just a bit of the building, the comp is not so good IMO
Close - different idea which works well. Like the comp and the texture and the subtle colours
Bubble - really like the red bubble and the blob on top takes it out of the ordinary. (y)
Smoke - it's a a bit underwhelming i feel .. Good panning but perhaps lose about half of the water. Strange how the smoke appears to be coming from they tyre that is off the ground:):thinking:

Thanks for looking and all the comments. I agree about the water, a crop just above the buoys maybe?

Back