Takes on a Train (September challenge)

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
For once I remembered that it is the first day of the month and we need a new challenge. First out of the bag was "A Train", so trains but may be also takes from a train? The romance of train travel or the sweaty armpit of commuting?

Usual rules, i.e. there aren't any. Post your pictures here, you can post as many as you want and make constructive comments about what others post. ENJOY. Check out other "Takes on ..." threads in ideas and inspiration.

Heads up for @Cg_Girl @Nostromo @badlywornroy @Shirleyr @susiejb @AshleyC @dinorock @Kernowgirl @Skyline @Jason Crest @Gremlin @Poppypix @Lez325 @Ladystrange who all put some great takes on flowers in last month's challenge.:clap:

Happy shooting :snaphappy:

Taken at Grosmont, North Yorks Moors Railway. (NYMR)

i-kGWRmdr-XL.jpg

Funicular Railway at Saltburn on Sea (with Fisheye lens)

i-ZRzhbLX.jpg

Last edited:
Off to a great start guys lovely vibrant colours in the first one Roy, I have some shots of the Saltburn funicular somewhere.

Nice set Dominic, I particularly like the third, it has a good sense of travelling into the distance.

From my archives (these are .photographs of some old prints of mine)
#1 the first photograph I was happy with. Lithgow (NSW, Australia), december 1962.

Lithgow 1962 by Richard Taylor, on Flickr

#2 From the mixed train at Young (NSW, Australia) - We are just about to pick up some cattle waggons. Shot klate 1970's

Mixed train by Richard Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
My dad and both granddads worked on the GNR in Northern Ireland so I've a real passion for trains and all things railways, so I'm gonna love this one! Unfortunately where I live now has no rail service but I'll have to see what I can come up with from farther afield!! Loving what's been posted so far!

Old DMU which reminds me of the type that stopped at the station (Leyton Midland Road) just up the road from where I lived as a youngster. Very unusual line (Barking to Gospel Oak) in that it ran across London rather than going into the centre.
Can just about remember steam trains on it and the station still having working gas lamps. All changed now and I believe it has become rather popular, so much so they are going to electrify it. I often used it to go one stop to Leytonstone High Road to watch Leytonstone FC play, their ground Granleigh Rd was right next door to the station.

DMU.jpg

This is one from the Keighley Worth Valley Railway, tried to keep any signs of modern day hidden, just noticed an electrical box, not too awful though

loco4.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Shirley, I spend a lot of time over there, and worked in the Boston Lodge workshops for a spell on day release during my college days.

.... some lovely images here. (y)

Here's a couple of the London Underground if that counts.

C7zqoXx_lJlOYwzGDZM0kRIrAhs8h9uNMUSmnjY7dL3RRsMves70KVLNZLhKk9IgXU33ksIJ5vjsQzwRm9a8kEBYglMn8XGT0_gJ1HoNU3MDUUP-1kxU6TDwockerDZLm7vLgysFSiQxZkz6RZoCeANU76HDUP9BybtDVKt_vmgAL8Gl0hcaAPyMFzmzYXjus_GS9tdVEE0CQ3Q0nhcA4VcBCJyKjUVwpzFGx_4sI9sNEPDPxAERPVSYVYrIRoWR0xgHD50njKG7RSz37cXNro8PKe91N9FDRh70lPaMd54zinyvJDjo_1RRvapxeZhE8yKZlDrSlZH3WjyrLJrSs8a0HA_-n7SVjqb_5TFKes59Kbb8tfbp5SpLJrYXyAim781FtocHf0gILBs5Zz7YHmqCbxDG4vlSFo5E7EGfkGXQWvoSuLzWgPm47pl30EHeuQYqtHtchlaZIbGUOpbq413FuHefXU1KqPBijJ3xbz4OCO7i4lZEkJAouf1qHfSIgrqc9akdXwCEdZHqKLZLc9RQsF0_6grBJSXji3cpIGR1r5XgAN_U04GAMSgShA9ZMuzvM_GtkJsCYw0-NqwHFKzurtO7o9vP9WRaSvzXVuZpv1DK=w1584-h917-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NuPJLK3GLj5IF9hSpkLh50M03KJc7w0tQtHpfkXi0mgURpaiyomDLNPRacxgPrpSj8jdhzhz1nHzMsnkXXwD28IIz6p3ZNZ76dQ7buXYDf--R99p7nM7tqt7CukpWzQ_wEe1iy1l1SvwB6ujWjjQ9K9qmz5xAQWrfzTAM-3JGJoA4hmIhFXh5hp7AqU8nnLn3DQXnw2-XF-xSupuzZzk_l8mV806HRX-UDnPhuqtZ4mFpT_DXluTrg2xbjcZZlFOwdHGJysSPAMAY32GGjZR6plOhJmb6cCShOGnWtwwM8eXjSUDneV_veQtWhwYMa5lZQLvHJP68qiPuHhm5Ch4cnEgparTT-qUgYjNWlLDOldWnbw1bxGPEJk_PgF3RLOdnpAigdngx9GmeME9WJuIbX8hSZeauXp1t1gZItL8b1R4A0p4C7UeYC88U1qtraJzRX5AxuAocqpwpIQ2Pap_amM2pnW7lbcFdI4fHk1tBV0bFvFwbiU-cSZhfptl-p-hRkjwF0dtCOP8Lgk4K-6J8MUHEXAvBUQ0a7mT1-Octi_ADp_u1rO07X-3wLY_MDqus5YvEztLgwOA7OplNBvdMDF6DwcvMjYcnThcpIK-R3kPhNFDJ=w1313-h917-no

I like all of them, so well done everybody especially the new train photoers, have to admit to being bit of an anorak when it comes to railways

My favourite so far is Peter's first one on post no 27, really captured the feel of a lone traveller on a grim night catching possibly the last train home after a few pints

Last edited:
I like all of them, so well done everybody especially the new train photoers, have to admit to being bit of an anorak when it comes to railways

My favourite so far is Peter's first one on post no 27, really captured the feel of a lone traveller on a grim night catching possibly the last train home after a few pints

Thanks and I'm glad to discover that 1x.com decided to publish the shot today. So that miserable cold night turned out all right in the end!

Back