The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I've kinda given up on the idea, I think there's people voting against it that don't even use Fuji, which is just going to happen with polls.
I don't think people set out to deliberately do stuff like that, but with hindsight (Its too late now) I could have made it to show who voted what.

I don't think people set out to deliberately do stuff like that, but with hindsight (Its too late now) I could have made it to show who voted what.

I don't think it'll be done maliciously - more, 'ooh, a poll' - random vote ... :D as it doesn't matter to them really

I am seeking some advice - I am wanting to buy the XT-3 and was going to get the 18-55 kit lens with it, but have seen there is a new 15-80 coming out at the end Sept - which I would probably use a lot more (depending on the IQ, but all sounding good at the moment). So if I buy the body only for now, I am looking at the Fringer Pro II adapter for my Canon lenses, but where can I buy this (only on Amazon)?

I am seeking some advice - I am wanting to buy the XT-3 and was going to get the 18-55 kit lens with it, but have seen there is a new 15-80 coming out at the end Sept - which I would probably use a lot more (depending on the IQ, but all sounding good at the moment). So if I buy the body only for now, I am looking at the Fringer Pro II adapter for my Canon lenses, but where can I buy this (only on Amazon)?
Only ever seen them on amazon and ebay, amazon do have deals on them sometimes

There was someone selling one in classified here recently, not sure if it's gone - check ebay for used copies, here's one listed atm: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fringer-...288260?hash=item521ff240c4:g:RJsAAOSwUnpdLy3K

I didn't realise they were hard to come by, I got lucky and found one used locally

[edit] it's in the wanted section of classified here, if @addicknchips isn't buying you may be able to get in on it, seller seems to have just dropped to £150 which is a proper steal.

Last edited:
Better show a few off now I have converted! Found that I was able to pull more out the shadows on a couple (could be the new LR) and the 16-55 is great, sharp at 2.8!

1. Cambridge
DSCF0531 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

2. College
DSCF0524 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

3. Sunset
DSCF0511 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

Better show a few off now I have converted! Found that I was able to pull more out the shadows on a couple (could be the new LR) and the 16-55 is great, sharp at 2.8!

1. Cambridge
DSCF0531 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

2. College
DSCF0524 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

3. Sunset
DSCF0511 by Simon Owens, on Flickr

Yup, it's definitely a lens you'll never be wary of shooting wide open - Honestly I think it's a tad sharper than the 35 F2 at 35mm 2.8.

Why not just Fuji X as it leaves the Xpro1 & 2 out on separate threads all Fuji threads then become one.
apart from any Fuji S pro shooters

Last edited:
Why not just Fuji X as it leaves rhe Xpro1 & 2 out on separate threads all Fuji threads then become one apart from any Fuji S pro shooters

I would go for that. With the XH1 thread, we know it's only a handful of users that also use this one too and they've already stated they would like them combined. I doubt xpro users would mind either. An overall Fuji X series thread would work I think, I can't see it disrupting anything but would keep this thread that bit more active. If we look to the Sony thread, it includes all, APSC, FF, even their older dslr are welcome afaik. And it is the most active thread in this section as all Sony users feel involved.

I would go for that. With the XH1 thread, we know it's only a handful of users that also use this one too and they've already stated they would like them combined. I doubt xpro users would mind either. An overall Fuji X series thread would work I think, I can't see it disrupting anything but would keep this thread that bit more active. If we look to the Sony thread, it includes all, APSC, FF, even their older dslr are welcome afaik. And it is the most active thread in this section as all Sony users feel involved.

Obvious exception is the fixed lens X100?

Having a dilemma over wide angle (if indeed I need it!).

Over the years have had Sigma 10-20 (DX), 20mm & 16-35 (FF). Out of them all, the 20mm probably got the most use as like primes. Looking back over photos its hard to say if this is a length I really need? Did I shoot with the 20mm because I had it, or because i needed to? Isn't 16mm (24mm) as wide as I need to really go. The issue I have is that the 10-24 would be my 2nd most expensive lens and probably not get much use. The 14mm is probably the one - light and similar to my 20mm but not that much cheaper. The 16mm 2.8 makes sense although it does duplicate my 16-55 (although I often like to travel with just primes?

If anyone has the same shot at around 14mm (21mm) and 16mm (24mm) to highlight the difference that would be useful!

Over the years have had Sigma 10-20 (DX), 20mm & 16-35 (FF). Out of them all, the 20mm probably got the most use as like primes. Looking back over photos its hard to say if this is a length I really need? Did I shoot with the 20mm because I had it, or because i needed to? Isn't 16mm (24mm) as wide as I need to really go. The issue I have is that the 10-24 would be my 2nd most expensive lens and probably not get much use. The 14mm is probably the one - light and similar to my 20mm but not that much cheaper. The 16mm 2.8 makes sense although it does duplicate my 16-55 (although I often like to travel with just primes?

If anyone has the same shot at around 14mm (21mm) and 16mm (24mm) to highlight the difference that would be useful!

How do you feel about manual focus lenses? The Samyang 12mm F2 has been very popular among Fuji users, M43 also, as a cheap alternative WA. It's very good quality, and being 12mm it's simple to snap into focus, at smaller apertures especially it barely need adjusting at all

I wouldn't mind that included, they are still X series after all, but X100 users might prefer to keep their own thread?

Doh!! I said this several pages back, but all you X-H and X-T owners banged on about having an X-T and X-H thread......:facepalm:

Keith not picking on you per se, just quoting your post!!

Personally I think you need two Fuji threads

one for X100 family cameras and one for the ILC cameras (X-T, X-H, X-E, X-M)

Doh!! I said this several pages back, but all you X-H and X-T owners banged on about having an X-T and X-H thread......:facepalm:

Keith not picking on you per se, just quoting your post!!

Clearly I missed it, but hey, I'd have no issues with that. It's been a while since I owned an X100s, but wouldn't rule out ever buying another, I just didn't make enough use of it at the time

How about a nice bit of Zeiss ? A Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8 with af if needed :)

How do you feel about manual focus lenses? The Samyang 12mm F2 has been very popular among Fuji users, M43 also, as a cheap alternative WA. It's very good quality, and being 12mm it's simple to snap into focus, at smaller apertures especially it barely need adjusting at all

Interesting thought, I guess I am not going to be using this for fast moving kids, relativley static things so could be a good idea. Most of the time 16mm (24) is as wide as I need but it has been useful in the past having 20mm (14) hence me looking for a cheaper option

Interesting thought, I guess I am not going to be using this for fast moving kids, relativley static things so could be a good idea. Most of the time 16mm (24) is as wide as I need but it has been useful in the past having 20mm (14) hence me looking for a cheaper option

I've had Samyang 12mm (still got), XF14mm and Xf16mm (still got). For years I used just the XF14mm, I've had 2 Samyang 12mm's the first wasn't very sharp but that may have been user error as its a lens that has a reputation for focussing beyond infinity!! The XF16mm is an absolute blinder of the a lens, one of the sharpest Fuji lenses, its just about perfect for a WA (I've never owned the 16-55 though). The Samyang is good to a point, its not IMO as sharp as either of the Fuji offerings, and the colour rendition is quite a bit different to the Fuji glass, it is though easy to use and small/lightweight. That said the last time I actually took it out was several months ago (despite it being light, its the first lens to go when I want to lighten my bag), the 16mm is definitely my go to Wide Option.

If you only want an occasional wide shot, then I would do a two/three shot shot vertical pano with your 16-55mm, even handheld you'll get a massive resolution image, but if needs to be taken with a single shot then the Samyang 12mm is the budget option.

I got the 14mm and really like that it`s so small and light. Mainly use it for architecture. Back in my Nikon days, I had the Sigma 20mm so for me it was an easy choice.

Not sure this will look great for those on calibrated monitors as I'm working on a laptop plus Flickr makes this shot a touch darker than Lr, but here is a shot of the Milky Way and Jupiter I think) over our house in the Apennine mountains in Italy. Composite of two shots, one of the house and hills and another of the stars using a star tracker. X-T2 and 10-24mm.

ViaLattea by Ian, on Flickr
Blacks look a bit crushed to me, but the idea looks good.

If 16mm is sufficient, as I know it is for me, then you have to ask if 2.8 is wide enough? Maybe the FL you have is just fine but you'd like it brighter? or the ability to focus closer? Then the 16 1.4 is the only place to look - I know I keep peeking at it :D but it's either or for me, can't afford to have both. If I got the 16, I'd have to sell the 16-55, and I don't know for sure if I want to do that yet.

Last edited:
If 16mm is sufficient, as I know it is for me, then you have to ask if 2.8 is wide enough? Maybe the FL you have is just fine but you'd like it brighter? or the ability to focus closer? Then the 16 1.4 is the only place to look - I know I keep peeking at it :D but it's either or for me, can't afford to have both. If I got the 16, I'd have to sell the 16-55, and I don't know for sure if I want to do that yet.

I don't think I need wider than 2.8. The 20mm was just that and the only wider lenses I had was the 50mm 1.4 and 85,, 1.8

I don't think I need wider than 2.8. The 20mm was just that and the only wider lenses I had was the 50mm 1.4 and 85,, 1.8

That's kind of refreshing to hear, in this day and age where every other photographer seems obsessed with shallow DOF and blowing 90% of every image out of focus :D

I really regret letting my 16 f1.4 go. I swapped it for a 90mm f2 as I already have the 10-24, but that 16 is just very special. Back on my "want" list and is the next lens I'll purchase.

(Don't get me wrong, the 90mm is also brilliant, I just miss having that ability to get really close, and shoot at 1.4 to make special images.).

I posted a pic above of the path to Fargno. Yesterday we walked it and were rewarded with:

1. View of Monte Bove from Rifugio del Fargno
Fargno-5 by Ian, on Flickr

2. The Rifugio (hidden away due to the high winds here)
Fargno-4 by Ian, on Flickr

3. Sunset over Bolognola
Fargn0-8 by Ian, on Flickr

Three very nice scenic Fujigraphs, with some lovely light & sky's.

"Just one small crit' from me is that light coloured building in #2, I know its part of the Landscape but I personally find it quite distracting, and if it were my shot then I'd have cloned it out"

George.

Three very nice scenic Fujigraphs, with some lovely light & sky's.

"Just one small crit' from me is that light coloured building in #2, I know its part of the Landscape but I personally find it quite distracting, and if it were my shot then I'd have cloned it out"

George.
Thanks for commenting George. Fair point on the building in 2 but - for me - that is one of the key elements of the shot as that was our destination point. But without that context, I could see why I might clone it out too.

Thanks for commenting George. Fair point on the building in 2 but - for me - that is one of the key elements of the shot as that was our destination point. But without that context, I could see why I might clone it out too.

Obviously I didn't know that, or the reason behind it. I could only comment on what was displayed. I still think they're a very nice set of images.

George.

@ianmarsh ......

Lovely set of images, personal favourite is No 2. Love the band of light against the hillside.

As the Sony thread is called "The Amazing Sony etc" thread perhaps this should be "The Fabulous Fuji" thread :)
Some people are never happy :p

Back