The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Whenever I am in town I always shoot it.

West Pier Ruins by Dave, on Flickr
This screams for a loooong exposure!

And posting in the non brand specific areas of the forum! (As do the other shots.)

Just my opinion but a good photo is a good photo - we all know how good the Fuji X cameras and lenses are so only posting them here in the mutual admiration thread is in effect hiding them from the non-believers! The advice in this thread about the equipment can be lost among the myriad of excellent shots.

So how good optically is the cheap 50-200 or the 50-230? Would be just used for landscapes so mainly at f8 ish.

I have the 50-140 which I do like but a lighter telephoto would be nice for when Im planning to do a lot of walking/hiking. The other option would be the 55-200 but I cant really justify having both the 50-140 and the 55-200 and for some other stuff I do I find the f2.8 on the 55-140 is really handy.
Cheers David I am very tempted would I notice that much difference between them and either the 50-140 or the 55-200 at the f8/f11 mark in your opinion?

The extra reach of the 50-230 prompted me to buy a 2nd hand one but I found that it was just enough below the 55-200 that it's stayed in the cupboard since its day out with it's classier (but significantly more expensive) cousin. TBH, if I didn't have the 55-200, I'd probably be happy with the cheaper lens but I do so I'm not!
I probably shouldn't point out that the obvious partner to the 50-140 would be the 100-400... ;)

I’m planning to buy the 55-200, as if I get the 50-230, I’ll always wonder how much better the 55-200 would be, then probably end up buying it anyway.

So how good optically is the cheap 50-200 or the 50-230? Would be just used for landscapes so mainly at f8 ish.

I have the 50-140 which I do like but a lighter telephoto would be nice for when Im planning to do a lot of walking/hiking. The other option would be the 55-200 but I cant really justify having both the 50-140 and the 55-200 and for some other stuff I do I find the f2.8 on the 55-140 is really handy.

I received my XC 50-230 today, here is a series of 5 images, SOOC, at 50mm, 70mm, 100mm, 135mm and 230mm (the focal length markings on the zoom ring). Taken on an X-Pro1, at f11 ISO 200 auto WB, on a tripod (focus point was the numbers on the Santa toy). The lens does feel a bit more solid that the XC16-55 I must say, focus ring is smooth and it isn't hugely slow to auto-focus (this won't be a problem for me as i'm predominately a landscape photographer - i'm not sure how good it would be for sports)

Not the most scientific of tests but i'm happy with the results:

The extra reach of the 50-230 prompted me to buy a 2nd hand one but I found that it was just enough below the 55-200 that it's stayed in the cupboard since its day out with it's classier (but significantly more expensive) cousin. TBH, if I didn't have the 55-200, I'd probably be happy with the cheaper lens but I do so I'm not!
I probably shouldn't point out that the obvious partner to the 50-140 would be the 100-400... ;)

Yes it is but I am after a lightweight telephoto for when I plan to do a lot of walking so I can leave the 50-140 at home.

I received my XC 50-230 today, here is a series of 5 images, SOOC, at 50mm, 70mm, 100mm, 135mm and 230mm (the focal length markings on the zoom ring). Taken on an X-Pro1, at f11 ISO 200 auto WB, on a tripod (focus point was the numbers on the Santa toy). The lens does feel a bit more solid that the XC16-55 I must say, focus ring is smooth and it isn't hugely slow to auto-focus (this won't be a problem for me as i'm predominately a landscape photographer - i'm not sure how good it would be for sports)

Not the most scientific of tests but i'm happy with the results:

Thanks Jim it would be used for purely landscapes, just wanted a lighter option to take than the 50-140.

And posting in the non brand specific areas of the forum! (As do the other shots.)

Just my opinion but a good photo is a good photo - we all know how good the Fuji X cameras and lenses are so only posting them here in the mutual admiration thread is in effect hiding them from the non-believers! The advice in this thread about the equipment can be lost among the myriad of excellent shots.

I have to say the X-H1 helped me that day, as it was blowing a gale.

Thanks Jim it would be used for purely landscapes, just wanted a lighter option to take than the 50-140.

It is very light and at first glance, from just playing with it in the house, i'm really pleased with it. I also looked at a few reviews online and DPReview gave it a glowing report. I'll try to get out at the weekend with it and see what I can do. To be honest I didnt want to spend a fortune on a zoom lens as i'll probably not use it all that much, it's just handy to have that 'reach' at hand in the bag for when I want to compress a background or isolate something a bit more.

Last edited:
Yes it is but I am after a lightweight telephoto for when I plan to do a lot of walking so I can leave the 50-140 at home.

Shame you're up in Oxon rather than closer, I'd be happy to let you have a play with both options (and the 100-400, even though I fully understand that it's a bit of a lump!)

I use to use the 50-230mm at our local airshow, and I came away with many great shots.
It is very light and at first glance, from just playing with it in the house, i'm really pleased with it. I also looked at a few reviews online and DPReview gave it a glowing report. I'll try to get out at the weekend with it and see what I can do. To be honest I didnt want to spend a fortune on a zoom lens as i'll probably not use it all that much, it's just handy to have that 'reach' at hand in the bag for when I want to compress a background or isolate something a bit more.

Be very interested in your views if you dont get chance to get out the weekend.

I use to use the 50-230mm at our local airshow, and I came away with many great shots.

Thats nice to know Dave.

Is there anyone local to Cambridge that has the X-Pro2 that I can try a few shots with, I know I can handle one at WEX etc but I want to take a few photos and then check them out on my computer....

I'm starting to dabble again in astro/night photography - something I used to do more of when I had all my heavier Nikon gear, including f/2.8 glass. Now that I am just using the X-T3 (and/or the Nikon Z6), I find that I am missing the faster lenses when available light is at a premium. I love my Fujifilm XF10-24 - by far my favourite Fuji lens, but I could really do with something faster, and I don't want to go back to heavy stuff (previously owned the Fujifilm 16-55mm).

Anyone here using the 14mm or 16mm primes for night photography? They would be a light option for the bag. Very interested to see any results and hear feedback.

I was going to post one I took with the 10-24 last night but I can't seem to access my Flickr account anymore....

I'm starting to dabble again in astro/night photography - something I used to do more of when I had all my heavier Nikon gear, including f/2.8 glass. Now that I am just using the X-T3 (and/or the Nikon Z6), I find that I am missing the faster lenses when available light is at a premium. I love my Fujifilm XF10-24 - by far my favourite Fuji lens, but I could really do with something faster, and I don't want to go back to heavy stuff (previously owned the Fujifilm 16-55mm).

Anyone here using the 14mm or 16mm primes for night photography? They would be a light option for the bag. Very interested to see any results and hear feedback.

Have you thought about the Samyang 12mm f2 lens? It's manual focus but a very sharp little lens and seems widely used for astro/night images. I'm only at the very early 'dabbling' stage myself and I'm sure there are far better examples, but this was my first attempt at a night sky with that lens on an X-T3:

Heavens Above by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

There are so many Samyangs out there that they confuse me! That looks like a decent capture of the MW alright. There was one of these for sale recently on the Classifieds, but I thought that I'd heard mixed reports as to the quality of this one.

DSCF6822.jpg

Just remembered that I can post images directly here, don't need Flickr.

Not exactly an astro image, but it kind of demonstrates the issue - this was a 60 second exposure (f/9 as I needed some depth of field), which has led to the stars streaking. A faster lens would have captured this in less time.

Not exactly an astro image, but it kind of demonstrates the issue - this was a 60 second exposure (f/9 as I needed some depth of field), which has led to the stars streaking. A faster lens would have captured this in less time.

Great image (how do you post images direct, without a 3rd party host?)

View attachment 263115

How so? Shooting at F9 means it doesn't matter what the lens max aperture is, unless I am missing something?

Same reason I bought mine, dont need L quality (or weight) for the odd time I need that reach.

Great image (how do you post images direct, without a 3rd party host?)

There is a little picture icon on the menu bar in the new post windoe - between the hyperlink symbol and the smiley emoji - just click it.

How so? Shooting at F9 means it doesn't matter what the lens max aperture is, unless I am missing something?

Yeah it mattered less for this shot as given the foreground interest I needed that DoF. Had it not been for the trees thought I could have shot this at (say) f/2.8 with focus at infinity and would still have the mountain in focus but the stars would have been cleaner and (at 30 seconds or under) would not have been trailing.

I was going to post one I took with the 10-24 last night but I can't seem to access my Flickr account anymore....

The 16 f1.4 HAS to be the main contender here... Wish I still had mine......

@Dave70D ....... What ya gone and bought now.........

Would love to hear your impressions about this lens...this and the 14/2.8 will be my first want-to-have lenses after the basics are covered...

I came OH so close to getting the 14mm, but changed my mind as too wide for me just just treated my self to a Xmas gift and now maxed out on my card :D

@Dave70D ....

Didn’t you let the 16mm 1.4 go?

Back