The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Anyone regularly shoot moving subjects with their Fuji? I always struggle.

I have an X-T3 and the missus has an X-T20. Often when shooting moving items (mainly the dog running straight towards the camera) the camera slightly misses focus and focuses a few inches behind the subject leaving the dogs blurry. Admittedly the dog is running pretty quick but i try and aim for 1/2000th shutter speed so I don't think shutter speed is an issue. I usually use CH shooting, zone tracking and experiment with the pre set continuous focus profiles. Usually use the 55-200mm lens.

Anyone got any tips? What settings do you use?

Thanks
Ben
With the 55-200mm on my X-T2 I find CL works better than CH. However I am still yet to be fully confident in it, like I was with my Canon 1D2 and 70-200f2.8.
B91473AC-8AFC-4572-96C8-FB7CF256EEEE.jpeg
This was the last of a 6 shot burst where all were in focus, which I was pretty pleased with. The main difference I noted was that the light was good when I shot it.
Release / Focus Priority
AF-S Focus
AF-C Release
Can anyone elaborate on this? What do Focus and release mean?

I spent some time at Teignmouth this morning, for sunrise. The high level clouds didn't really play ball as i'd hoped but i'm pleased with the way this one came out after PP.

DSCF5516-4.jpg

Back up on the hills close to home this afternoon. Nearly didn't make it, had a mishap standing on a chair and took a lesson in gravity (9.81m/s squared if I remember correctly).... Felt faster than that!!

Anyways, went up to watch the sun go down. First of a few I took.

Mere Down Sunset by Steve Jelly, on Flickr

Love it! A really nice image (looks warmer than I imagine it was ;) ). Great composition getting the branches spreading out along with the clouds.

Love it! A really nice image (looks warmer than I imagine it was ;) ). Great composition getting the branches spreading out along with the clouds.

Thanks Jim, yes, it was a bit "Brass Monkies" out there this evening.....

The standard on here lately has been superb! Really working the Fuji gear lads, love it.

With the 55-200mm on my X-T2 I find CL works better than CH. However I am still yet to be fully confident in it, like I was with my Canon 1D2 and 70-200f2.8.
View attachment 266137
This was the last of a 6 shot burst where all were in focus, which I was pretty pleased with. The main difference I noted was that the light was good when I shot it.

Can anyone elaborate on this? What do Focus and release mean?
I've yet to read the manual despite owning my X-H1 for well over a year, but I think that Focus means the shutter will trigger once the shot is in focus, and release will mean it will trigger as soon as presses, ie possibly before the camera has focused.

Disappointed with my fuji xt30 and Lightroom.

I recently purchased a Fuji xt30 and 27mm lens and I have to say I’m mighty disappointed with the images I’m getting so far.
I use Lightroom and I’m getting really odd watercolour effects in foliage with the raw files and the jpegs need work too. They just look bland and I need to work on the black levels and contrast.

Is it just me?

I wanted something smaller and lighter than my d750 but still with decent image quality. I was getting better images with my old rx100.

I recently purchased a Fuji xt30 and 27mm lens and I have to say I’m mighty disappointed with the images I’m getting so far.
I use Lightroom and I’m getting really odd watercolour effects in foliage with the raw files and the jpegs need work too. They just look bland and I need to work on the black levels and contrast.

Is it just me?

I wanted something smaller and lighter than my d750 but still with decent image quality. I was getting better images with my old rx100.

It's a long story, but Fuji files really do need a different approach to them in Lightroom. That said, I have both an X-T3 & and an X-T2, and I can pull my files around quite a bit. I suggest you have a look on YouTube, as there's plenty of "How To's" out there.

Is it just me?

As Steve said, if you just treat them like Nikon Bayer files, it won't go well. LR default sharpening is particularly a bad idea. Here's a decent overview of the options, fairly balanced from what I can see:

https://blog.thomasfitzgeraldphotog...e-recommendations-for-fuji-processing-in-2019

Quick question about the 'area' mode which allows you to select the focus point from the touch screen and assuming continuous auto focus is still possible. Coming from the Nikon D750 which takes forever to move the focus spot around in live view, forever to acquire focus, and forever to actuate the shutter after pressing the release. How can the experience be compared using the X-H1? Does performance greatly differ doing the same with the X-T3? Does this drain the battery quickly?

Last edited:
Yeah it’s the cover you remove when using a grip. Easy to misplace!
Thank you for sending the little rubber cover,it arrived this morning,really appreciate it.:banana:

Back