The official Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Owners Thread - *1.0.4 standard and C-Log firmware now available*

Thanks Chris, and yes, the Tate were very obliging lol.

Ive had a 5DMKIII since it came out and didn't really think it was a bad camera, but when i got my 80D I realised how old the 5Dmkiii felt, as far as features go. I was knocked out with the 80D and almost gave up on full frame.
It was really a moment of madness that made me get the MKIV, but i wanted the best of both cameras thati already had.
For me the IQ upgrade was never a big selling point, but touch screen, WiFI, Auto ISO with EC, the new AWB settings etc were the features id come to love on the 80D and sorely missed on the MKIII.

Of course the new sensor is a good update, and you can definitely see the improvements, especially in low light (i hated the MKIII low light look). This is coming from a MKIII, so coming from a crop camera i expect the jump to be a lot more. I do believe that the final result might not be noticed by most people. I'm sure we all have other cameras and I'm sure we all get great shots with those as well as the MKIV, so i dont believe anyone needs to upgrade to get great shots, although its a lot of fun getting a camera like this :).

In the mk3, when using live view I could press the little focus icon (far right button on the back, top right) and it will put the display of all the focus point on the LCD. But the mk IV don't allow that....is that a thing??? Can I turn it on?

Is it because it want you to use touch focus instead?

Well I took the plunge and ordered the mk4, I'll be selling a 6d very soon! One thing I would like is a quick release L Plate bracket for it - anybody have one? seen a couple on ebay prices from £35 - £55 just wondering if they are all the same really

It was really a moment of madness that made me get the MKIV, but i wanted the best of both cameras thati already had.

I can relate to that Dave. Realising that my walkabout camera (Fuji X-T1) produced lower noise levels than the 7D, I was looking for something that offered substantial improvements. I looked at the 80D, 7DII & 6D but they were all a compromise in some way, so I took a deep breath and went for it.

I wonder if this will be the last SLR that I buy? Will we see mirror-less cameras mature to the point where DSLRs fade away - who knows!

Now all I have to do is stop thinking about that lovely 24-70 F2.8!

Chris

Has anyone tried to register their 5D iv on Canon's web site? I can see the 5D ii and iii, but there is no iv - very odd as it's not really a new product. I know it won't affect the guarantee, but if nothing else it's a record of the serial number.

After a few years of deciding whether to get a full frame camera, I was tempted by a good price at the Photography show and came away with a 5D iv. Not had time to get out and about with it yes, but I'm really looking forward to a photography filled summer.

Chris
Well that is weird as I thought I had registered mine, but when I did it, it didn't remember my other kit :thinking:

Im really loving my MKIV. I only got it two weeks ago, to replace my MKIII, and it was off to a slow start as i found it to have a bit of a steeper learnign curve than my MKIII. I loved the camera but the shots didnt look any better than my MKIII. I think ive got the hang of it now though, it was probably me shooting too slow. Im used to hand holding quite slow but it seems the higher res sensor needs a bit more shutter speed to really nail the sharpness.
Now i cant get enough of the camera, although ill still use my 80D a lot as its lighter and smaller.

I really love the tracking though. Must more reliable than my MKIII.

This was my son walking quite fast towards me, out of the fog. 10 shots, all in focus.

Sam emerging from the fog at the Tate Modern.
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Even at night the AF wasn't distracted
Fog at the Tate. by Dave Pearce, on Flickr
Agreed that is good tracking Dave, and I just LOVE that second image, the range of tones in the shot is wonderful, and the low PoV works soooo well :clap:

In the mk3, when using live view I could press the little focus icon (far right button on the back, top right) and it will put the display of all the focus point on the LCD. But the mk IV don't allow that....is that a thing??? Can I turn it on?

Is it because it want you to use touch focus instead?
Hmmmm not sure about that, I never used that before, I just touch the screen where I want it focused in live view, and I find myself doing it a lot, it speeds things up wonderfully combined with the back button focus for me :)

Well I took the plunge and ordered the mk4, I'll be selling a 6d very soon! One thing I would like is a quick release L Plate bracket for it - anybody have one? seen a couple on ebay prices from £35 - £55 just wondering if they are all the same really
I just used the L-Plate off of my 5d3, so any one that fits a 5d3 will fit, there should be loads of them about :)

I am having a couple of little struggles with my 5D IV - not sure if it is right to post on this page or on another post?
1. I took photos of dogs on the weekend, and when starting to process noticed how grainy they were - they are cropped, ISO 500 (auto ISO), and shadows brought out - but I still wasnt expecting so much grain
2. My tracking on AI SERVO doesn't seem to work, and do not get focus on the dogs when running.

Any ideas on settings or help?

Attachments

• Social Media-4027.jpg
    Social Media-4027.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 62
I am having a couple of little struggles with my 5D IV - not sure if it is right to post on this page or on another post?
1. I took photos of dogs on the weekend, and when starting to process noticed how grainy they were - they are cropped, ISO 500 (auto ISO), and shadows brought out - but I still wasnt expecting so much grain
2. My tracking on AI SERVO doesn't seem to work, and do not get focus on the dogs when running.

Any ideas on settings or help?

I'm no expert Donna, but in my view, even the iv will show noise if you lift the shadows too much. As the first shot has some very bright reflections, I would expect that the dog would have been deeply underexposed, hence the noise when you lift the shadows.

As for focus tracking, I've not tried my iv in Servo AF yet, but all the reports are good, so it may be a combination of trying the various AF cases and plenty of practice is required to help improve your results.

Chris

Hmmmmm :thinking:

@weebleswobble - LR would get rid of that noise with a little slide of the Luminance I should think, have you tried ??

As for the AI servo, mine works excellently, so a couple of questions really: -
  1. Do you back button focus
  2. What focus mode are you on
  3. What direction are the dogs running
  4. What focus points are you using
  5. What lens was it
Okay... so more than a couple of questions, but essentially in my opinion any of the above could effect its ability and different combinations add another to the mix, but happy to try assist although I too am no expert :)

I will look at all this, must have the combinations wrong - would you mind telling me what settings you would use for me to test?
I do use back button focussing but it looks like I may set this up wrong.

I can relate to that Dave. Realising that my walkabout camera (Fuji X-T1) produced lower noise levels than the 7D, I was looking for something that offered substantial improvements. I looked at the 80D, 7DII & 6D but they were all a compromise in some way, so I took a deep breath and went for it.

I wonder if this will be the last SLR that I buy? Will we see mirror-less cameras mature to the point where DSLRs fade away - who knows!

Now all I have to do is stop thinking about that lovely 24-70 F2.8!

Chris
Of course its not lol. I said that about my MKIII, and wasn't in the slightest interested in the MKIV when it came out......then boom, £2500 lighter lol. I was lucky in that i already had the 24-70 f/2.8 mkii though. Thinking of trading that in and getting the 24-105 f/4 mkii or 24-70 f/4 IS. I know, a step backwards but i have my reasons.
The problem i see with mirrorless is the poor battery life. I was forever worrying about the battery dying when i was out for a long periods of time with my a6000.

Agreed that is good tracking Dave, and I just LOVE that second image, the range of tones in the shot is wonderful, and the low PoV works soooo well :clap:

Thanks very much. I think most of that is down to Lightroom though.

I will look at all this, must have the combinations wrong - would you mind telling me what settings you would use for me to test?
I do use back button focussing but it looks like I may set this up wrong.
Sure can, no problem, It depends if your dog is running towards/away from you, darting about or running across the frame etc... but for starters I personally would use:
  • AI Servo
  • Back Button Focus (I Never change from this)
  • Case 1 (general versatile focus)
  • 9 Point Focus (Keeping it close'ish to the centre and on the dogs head)
  • Shutter Speed at least 1.5 to exceeding double to lens length (as I haven't got the steadiest hands)
For me the above would give me very few out of focus images even on burst :)

Had a run out, shot some birds in flight, even managed to catch a falcon. Very impressed so far!

Theres about 30 or so on here, all the most recent Sigma 150-600c and 5dmk4
https://www.flickr.com/photos/madmackem/
Very nice indeed, real nice birds in flight images, and loving the bald eagle shots !!

Cool, thank you...

Silly question, do you know if this helps on the stills side at all ?? I rarely use the video feature at the moment so not worth the upgrade for me unless the increased dynamic range is for stills too :thinking:

Very nice indeed, real nice birds in flight images, and loving the bald eagle shots !!

Cool, thank you...

Silly question, do you know if this helps on the stills side at all ?? I rarely use the video feature at the moment so not worth the upgrade for me unless the increased dynamic range is for stills too :thinking:
Thanks, the eagle is an African fish eagle. All captive birds in a sanctuary in Kielder.
I put the upgrade on, mainly for the back button focus glitch, it would only work after I half pressed the shutter button, seems like it's solved it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Thanks, the eagle is an African fish eagle. All captive birds in a sanctuary in Kielder.
I put the upgrade on, mainly for the back button focus glitch, it would only work after I half pressed the shutter button, seems like it's solved it

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app
Ahhhhh still an eagle, I got that bit right :LOL:

Odd about the back button focus, works fine on mine...

Cool, thank you...

Sorry no idea.

Cool, thank you...

No it doesn't. Its only enabled in video mode, although using the 4K frame grab feature will also have it.

A few shots, the first taken with my new 24-70 f/4 IS. Love this lens and it means the f/2.8 is now going to go.

The new Towers and Pier at Blackfriars.

Portwey

Fun at Somerset House.

Last edited:
Yay, now I have pretty much completed my prime set up. Until the release of the 14/1.8.

SUT6Pr0.jpg

I can't wait sit to use that on the dance floor.

I found out they make a metal lens cap, thought to myself "that's cool" but then thought....if I missed, that will just hit the front element which I can't put a filter on.

metal lens cap, that's a stupid idea.

5D4 just arrived from Digital Rev!
Will be testing this out with 500mm mkll, plus 1.4extmklll. Aircraft photography mainly.
Will post images when my 500 turns up!
Lets see what the difference is compared with the 5Dmklll and a comparison with the 7D2, which is in the bag too.
Regards Steve

Just got mine from Panamoz (great service). I went for the kit with the 24-105 mk2. Loving it so for although not had the opportunity to use it in proper anger yet.

The view finder options are great. Having the option to have the level displayed constantly is a big win. I always struggle with unintentional dutch tilt.

Just got mine from Panamoz (great service). I went for the kit with the 24-105 mk2. Loving it so for although not had the opportunity to use it in proper anger yet.

The view finder options are great. Having the option to have the level displayed constantly is a big win. I always struggle with unintentional dutch tilt.

For me, it is on the Fuji cameras and I had it for a week and found myself paying attention to the level instead of capturing the photo, wasting time.

I can correct the level after, i might lose a bit with cropping but i might miss the shot completely by correcting the tilt. That's what I found myself doing.

Now I turned off all the levelling display. all I want to see is the focus point blinking, no beep.

For me, it is on the Fuji cameras and I had it for a week and found myself paying attention to the level instead of capturing the photo, wasting time.

I can correct the level after, i might lose a bit with cropping but i might miss the shot completely by correcting the tilt. That's what I found myself doing.

Now I turned off all the levelling display. all I want to see is the focus point blinking, no beep.

On my mk3 i had the level on the M.Fn button. It was on the checklist before shooting. It will just be a glance up now. Only really an issue where there are obvious verticals and horizontals, saves losing a bit of sharpness correcting in post.

I have it turned on for both Canon and Fuji. On the Fuji I hardly notice it when shooting, it's more of a peripheral piece of information that I can use without thinking about it much. The smaller meter on the 5D4 at the top I have to really focus on to use as it's out of the way (and small), so I don't tend to use it much at all.

I loved the idea of the level indicator in the VF on my 5D3, but never really used it. The one on the 5D4 is a huge step up as far as usability goes. I do have it on all the time but find i dont really notice it unless i look at it.
One thing it has done is train me to hold the camera level. Almost all my shots with my other cameras have been tilting slightly to the left, and although its never an issue as they can be easily straightened in LR i did find it annoying. Now that i can see how much to compensate for a lot easier i find i now dont really need it all the time, and most of my shots are now level.
I also find it a big help when using my UWA lenses, as I find the best results come from keeping the camera pointing straight ahead and not tilted down or up. Id say i use the level indicator more in this way than for left/right tilting.

On my mk3 i had the level on the M.Fn button. It was on the checklist before shooting. It will just be a glance up now. Only really an issue where there are obvious verticals and horizontals, saves losing a bit of sharpness correcting in post.

I read a few years ago that in LR there are two ways to straighten an image. The Crop tool gives you a level tool but it propduces inferior results as far as sharpening goes, compared to the levelling in the Lens correction section (now called Transfrom). I'm not sure if that is still true, but i cant say Ive ever noticed any sharpness issues using either.

No it doesn't. Its only enabled in video mode, although using the 4K frame grab feature will also have it.
Thank you Dave... some wonderful images there, I love the water one at the end !! :)

Yay, now I have pretty much completed my prime set up. Until the release of the 14/1.8.
Nice !! - I'm yet to get a prime other than my Macro, I have a good set of L zooms, but certainly want to get a couple of nice primes one day... probably a Landscape lens and possibly a 50mm for portraits :thinking:

My bad I thought the firmware link was this one http://www.canon-europe.com/support...digital_slr/eos-5d-mark-iv.aspx?type=firmware

Not theC-Log one which needs to be sent in to canon to get done - not too worried about that yet, don't do a lot of movies.
Thank you Bob... I have updated the heading accordingly + Added links to the opening post :)

5D4 just arrived from Digital Rev!
Will be testing this out with 500mm mkll, plus 1.4extmklll. Aircraft photography mainly.
Will post images when my 500 turns up!
Lets see what the difference is compared with the 5Dmklll and a comparison with the 7D2, which is in the bag too.
Regards Steve
Nice one Steve, now the 500mm sounds a beast, it will be interesting to see the comparisons of the shots between the 5d4 and the 7d2, if they get cropped to the same view, look forward to seeing them (y)

Hahaaa the Dutch tilt used to be my most common feature too :D

I loved the idea of the level indicator in the VF on my 5D3, but never really used it. The one on the 5D4 is a huge step up as far as usability goes. I do have it on all the time but find i dont really notice it unless i look at it.
One thing it has done is train me to hold the camera level. Almost all my shots with my other cameras have been tilting slightly to the left, and although its never an issue as they can be easily straightened in LR i did find it annoying. Now that i can see how much to compensate for a lot easier i find i now dont really need it all the time, and most of my shots are now level.
I also find it a big help when using my UWA lenses, as I find the best results come from keeping the camera pointing straight ahead and not tilted down or up. Id say i use the level indicator more in this way than for left/right tilting.
Same here Dave I use the indicator in the VF too and agree it is not intrusive at all, I also use the grid overlay in the VF, just 3 lines to try and help me with more right first time compositions... yes they still need minor tweaking in LR but not so mush vast cropping I find :)

I read a few years ago that in LR there are two ways to straighten an image. The Crop tool gives you a level tool but it propduces inferior results as far as sharpening goes, compared to the levelling in the Lens correction section (now called Transfrom). I'm not sure if that is still true, but i cant say Ive ever noticed any sharpness issues using either.
I'm with you there, I can not notice any sharpness issues after straightening, I still straighten most images even just a tiny bit, unless that's where I have gone wrong by not comparing a straightened and in-straightened :thinking:

Last edited:
Thanks DK, im trying to get a more old/retro feel these days, but its still a work in progress.

The best things about the 5D4 for me are mostly the smaller improvements. The big headline grabbers are great, but i actually have no need for larger files and 4K video. Its small things like the improved level indicator, in fact the whole VF experience is much better, the much more configurable custom buttons and of course the touch screen. Even my 80D made my 5D3 seem very old as far as functionality goes. Now i have the best of both worlds.....just need to learn how to use it properly lol.

A couple from the weekend.

Robo-runner

Shy Falcon

As someone who has no interest in shooting video, I will not be bothering with the C Log upgrade. I suppose this could have a detrimental effect when I finally come to sell it, but that will not happen for some years.

Anyone thinking of going for the upgrade?

Chris

Nah, not interested at all. I got mine from Panamoz so not sure how i stand anyway, but id rather not have anyone tinker with my perfectly working camera unless i rereally need them to.

Ditto, I'll part ex it towards the next one, it will be like 4 years from now and if it loses £2k, what's another £100?

Back