weekly the_g_man 52 Week Challenge - Week 30, 31 and 32 added

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

This is my first attempt at the 52 Week Project so go easy on me. Wanted an excuse to use my camera more often and to hopefully learn a few things along the way.

Anyway Week 1 a little late posting but taken and editted within the time frame.

Week 1 - Sin

Week 1 - Sin by mgillanders, on Flickr

Week 2 - Season

Week 2 - Season by mgillanders, on Flickr

We've just finished House Season 6 and about to start Season 7 :)

Last edited:
Clever take on the theme - most people (me included) are going for the snow. Like the use of DoF, although I think the white balance is a little off (shot in tungsten?).

Sin, yeah, like it nic and low, good focus on the chocolate and I quite like the black parts. As said, WB is off.

Season, good take and cracking series. Focus is good. WB again and, for me, I'd like to see the composition/alignment more precise.

Cheers.

Another take on season, i like all the different ideas popping up! White balance seems a bit off to me but im viewing on my phone at the min! Id have framed it so i didn't have the bottom left bit in the frame just the cases. Other than that not a bad attempt!

Hi Mark. Yours first post Sin, I like the colours, detail and focus, a change from the many gold and silver. Season, again an original thought with a nice colour contrast and DOF.

The first works for me, focus spot on, the off white balance possibly suiting the mood for the shot. The second doesn't really do anything for me though, too cluttered and too warm.

Hi Mark, welcome to TP and the 52.

Sin - Nothing sinful about chocolate in my opinion - especially Lindt, it is more of a necessity than anything else :) I feel the front out of focus chocolate dominates the picture too much, if it was cropped about two thirds of the way up it would draw the eye to the in focus areas much more. A tiny bit yellow but can get away with it as could be reflection of box.

Season - Clean shot of the bottom half but focus a little off on the top - maybe the angle could be bought back a little more so that the wording is all in focus. As others have said, again a little yellow.

Two nice efforts, well done.

Welcome to the forum, and to 52'ing.

Brave (or stupid) of you to jump right in :LOL: :clap:

mmm.. lovely lindt choccies.. works as sinful for me as trying to diet :)

like your take on season too.. composition and focus work for me.. WB already mentioned by others..

Hi Mark & a belated welcome from me :wave:

Sin....yum yum , like the idea , color is a touch yellowy but ( as keriok mentioned) that could be caused byt the lid....like the angle but wonder if you'd moved the front 2 chocolates & put them behind the one in focus ?

Season....cracking series...Hugh Laurie at his best :clap:
great to see a different take on the theme , like the layout..tweak the WB a smidge & it's a winner (y)

Thanks for the comments.

I always seem to seemed to struggle with White Balance, especially indoors. Something i need to work on i think.

Anyway week 3....

Week 3 - Gravity

Week 3 - Gravity by mgillanders, on Flickr

This some putty that i use sometime when i have a finger type injury, it's helps get the blood flowing to the required area and hence speeds up the healing process. It's shape slowly molds over time, gradually being pulled to earth. I shot it over a period of about 40mins.

Hi Mark, I know that stuff! Used it a lot a few years ago with a hand injury. You really have got gravity in action here; I like it.

Two comments. It seems like the lighting is inconsistent across the four frames; wouldn't it work better if it was absolutely the same each time? Also, the highlights in the putty and its reflection are confusing. Of course, they must move as the putty changes shape. But they look as if the lighting has moved as well. And in the top right one (and lesser extent top left), there's a highlight in the reflection that's not there in the reflected putty. Did you clone it out from the putty but not the reflection?

Good stuff, though!

Like this one. Really shows gravity. I'd prefer all 4 on one line.

Was the lighting consistent? I can see why the lighting changes in the putty as is flattened, but the ambient light seems different.

Still, really like the simplicity of the one. (y)

Cheers.

Love the vibrant green colour in these shots.

Only adjustments I would make have been mentioned above.

(y) great idea.

must get some of this putty:)

Thanks for the comment's.

It looks like i overlooked the changes in ambient lighting for this shot. I might attempt to re-shoot this when a RESHOOT Card comes up.

Finding the 52 Week Photo Challenge very enjoyable and feel like I'm learning a lot. Thanks all.

Week 4 - Wild

Week 4 - Wild by mgillanders, on Flickr

It seemed like too good of an opportunity to miss to photograph some of my climbing gear this week.

Wild Country (www.wildcountry.co.uk) are a company based in the Peak District who manufacture Rock Climbing equipment. This particular product is called a Quickdraw which is used to attached a rope to a anchor. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickdraw for more details.

Last edited:
Hi ya :wave:

fab product type shot for gravity....had to read the words to make the connection though as I'm not a climber :) Well lit , no hotspots , great shadows & sharper than a sharp thing (y)

Minor crit is the join in the bg between the upright & the base - dunno if it would be possible to blend the harsh line away ? 3 small white lines , 1 lhs in the shadow under the webbing , 1 coming in from the lower rh corner & 1 just under the rh shadow ....very minor but once I'd seen them they keep drawing my eye

Really nice photo Mark :) Couldn't think of any crit at all but as soon as Lynne mentioned the white lines I could spot them! But they don't take away from a great photo :)

Very original Mark with good focus and dof. A good shot to represent the theme.

Great shot, very sharp focus. Image is strong so my eye is drawn to the subject so don't see the white lines.

I like all 4 photos, funny enough we where watching Season Six of House the other day in work.

Unusual subject for gravity Mark but on theme nonetheless (y)
The lighting issue has been mentioned but I particularly like the vivid colour to the subject.

Wild again on theme (y)
I feel it's a little crowded on the left hand side, maybe bringing it more into frame would help, and it could cover the join showing in your background.

All round good start to your 52 though Mark. Cheers Iain

Really nice photo Mark :) Couldn't think of any crit at all but as soon as Lynne mentioned the white lines I could spot them! But they don't take away from a great photo :)
Just what I was going to say... see It's Lynne's fault :LOL:

I like the set up of this and the brightness of the steel yet well defined lettering - great shadows too (y)

Week 5 - Space

Week 5 - Space by mgillanders, on Flickr

I used to love playing Space Invaders when I was younger. I've downloaded it on the iPad, think there might be some time wasted in the weeks ahead!

I like the lighting and the angle of the photo, nice take on the theme :)

Works well for me - nothing really negative I can find to say I'm afraid. :LOL:

Love the neon colours, the angle, the green flecked (spacey) background.

To be über-picky, a couple of them are half a millimetre out of alignment. But that's all.

:clap:

:wave: cracking Space. Plenty of detail, colours and the composition is almost :D perfect.

Getting a black BG is not easily, unless you meant to get this.

Good show and all I can hear in my head is the Space Invaders theme.

Cheers.

Great minds think alike Mark ;):LOL:
I like the vivid colours, the jaunty composition and overall feel to your image.

Good work, Iain

Everything is always good about Space Invaders.

The only game I've ever really liked, love it. (y)

I really do like the final image, although it feels a bit more like graphic art than a photograph! But that's from a grump who couldn't do graphic art if he tried (;-)

Back