weekly the_g_man 52 Week Challenge - Week 30, 31 and 32 added

Hi Mark

& another one here guilty of forgetting to reset the iso....spent the day shooting bike racing in bright sunlight ....at iso640 :bang:

As per Andy..like the downward pov...shame about the slight oofness lhs ...

onwards & upwards to the next theme (y)

Thanks for the comments. Yeah completely agree about the offness of the left hand side. Something I didn't spot when shooting it :bonk:

Any a major catch up me this week.

Week 15 - Greed : Seen as we've had Sin and Gluttony already, I'm playing a Joker for Week 15.

Week 15 - Joker by mgillanders, on Flickr

Week 16 - Angle : Shot of an oldish Engineers Protractor in my Dad's workshop. I took a few different shots, but liked this one the best.

Week 16 - Angle by mgillanders, on Flickr

Week 17 - Rustic : A Rustic looking doorway leading to a secret garden(?) shot in Hassop, Derbyshire

Week 17 - Rustic by mgillanders, on Flickr

All Comments Welcomed

Mark, quite like the joker! (I hated Greed, too.) Angle is nicely placed; shows off the workmanlike quality, nice mixture of curves and lines, and a lovely bit of wood it's resting on, too. I also like the Rustic door; it may be a bit square on and central, but the colours are nice and there's lots of texture and interest to keep my eye on the picture.

Quick catch up, I'm afraid :D

Greed, interesting take. Not keen on the BG and I'd like to see more pop in th colours.

Angle, interesting instrument and some nice detail. Not keen on the crop, mainly due to the crop at the top.

Rustic. Interesting door with nice detail. If taken at sunset, with nice warm colours, IMO, would look better.

Cheers.

Hi Mark

would never have thought to actually shot a Joker for a joker week....I can be so dim at times :LOL:

Angle....like the placement , some good detail in the metal/rust & like the choice of background as it's in keeping with the subject (y)

Rustic...hmmm...little bit too head on for me but plenty of detail

Obvious when you see it, but 3 of a kind is a clever idea! Well taken shot, but might it have looked better if it looked like a game was in progress, and the winning hand laid down? As it is, the background feels a bit random.

Hi Mark :)

Sorry... I seem to have missed your thread recently !!!

Vertical - A tweak on the lens distortion and improving the convergence would help the image a lot

Pattern - Liking that a lot, would prefer if the nails were cloned out but I still think it's got great texture and liking the shadows and angle :)

Movement - Nicely caught, the train leads into the picture nicely

Below - A nice dark look to the image, the yellow matting is a bit distracting but a nice idea

Good catch up (y)

Vertical - Something missing but I don't know what, the photo is almost there it just needs a little something?? Sorry I can't be more constructive.

Pattern - Great, good colour and texture (y)

Movement - Nailed it, again great.

Below - Again very good. I like the darkness, it gives a feeling of underground.

Hi Mark, well done on the catch up. Below is my favourite by a mile, as the other Mark says the darkness adds to the underground feeling. Great scene well spotted and shot. (y)

Hi Mark,
Below, a really atmospheric image, bang on theme I get a real sense of being underground. Good work (y)

Hi Mark

Vertical....agree with Cowboy's comment about something missing here...maybe a closer crop of the upper section just showing the vertical columns ??

Below....like this a lot ,really gives a feeling of being down there , really well handled exposure , good position & nicely sharp (y)

Pattern....simple but effective

Movement....well caught , get a good feeling of movement , exposure looks good & a nice angle rather than head on :)

Morning, Vertical, on theme , looks a tad on the squid at the top. Few things peeping in on the sides and not overly keen on cropping people in the FG.

Pattern, this I do like. Nice and minimal, good detail and the three nails lower left really make it for me :clap:

Movement, another one that's on theme with nice colours. Not keen on the yellow lone. It draws me away from the main subject.

Bellow, well spotted and the lighting is great. Closer crop for me.

Cheers.

Mark, sorry as I've very behind with my commenting. In batches per page...

Vertical: looks visually a little flat, and perhaps quite a wide-angle lens, so lots of convergence. Sometimes this can work well, but perhaps if you were closer and more obviously looking up that might do it? As it is, not quite here nor there...

Movement: I think that might just be the best movement blur shot I've seen so far! Excellent crisp focus on the platform and fixtures, and the train is just blurred enough, so you know what it is without strange artefacts. Good one, Mark!

Below: fits the theme both intellectually (if that's the right word) and visually (as in below the light). The pic itself I really really like. Colours are good, composition excellent, and I love the darkening edges to the shot. Lots of atmosphere...

Thanks all for the comments.

Struggling to keep up at the moment, but another big catch up from me.

Week 23 - Size
The tallest building in the European Union

Week 23 - Size by mgillanders, on Flickr

Week 24 - Process
The Process of Summer

Week 24 - Process by mgillanders, on Flickr

Week 25 - Rock
Rock Climbing

Week 25 - Rock by mgillanders, on Flickr

Week 26 - Pair
My Favourite Pair of Old Shoes

Week 26 - Pair by mgillanders, on Flickr

Will hopefully get the next two polished off this week.
Thanks for Looking

Hi Mark :)

Size - A great towering building there, more blue in the sky would be nice, but it appears to be reaching right up into the clouds - excellent angle (y)

Process - Great colours, a good variety with buds fully flowered and dead, so spot on theme wise too !!

Rock - very effective use of DoF, the composition works perfectly too - Nice One :clap:

Pair - Again great use of the DoF, love the low angle, the grassy foreground, golden fence background and the low horizon - Excellent :)

Hi ya :wave:

well done on your catch up mister (y)

Pair....love this shot...LOVE IT...great low angle , good colors ,good use of DOF...LOVE IT :clap:

Size....now that's an impressive building & you've done it justice with that shot (y)

Rock...fab idea , great use of DOF....good work mister :clap:

Hi

Size i like, nice angle
rock works, nice DoF and pair is a great pic nice colour (y)

of thiose last ones... rock works really well, great use of DOF, the gaze of the climber drawing you back to the in focus rocks on the left.

But that pair of trainers is great! Love it, the sharp focus, shallow DOF, and the plain old wornoutness of them contrasting nicely against the just painted fence! (y)

Hiya Mark, I like the climbing one, Derbyshire gritstone eh!

I was about to say well caught up, but then i noticed you are out of date again! :LOL:

Come on - catch up! :D

:wave:

Size, on theme, good perspective but IMO it's a tad lost in the sky.

Process, not keen on this one. Nice colours, though.

Rock, like it. Nice fall perspective and focus.

Pair, best of the set for me. Great processing and angle. Slight vignette maybe?

Cheers.

Hi Mark, you've been busy!

Shape: I like the way the box & nice sharp table work against the OOF flower bed. Nice colours too.

Plenty: Good detail in the sky, and put into context by the silhouette. good one.

Speed: I'm not a fan of the subject, I work with vehicles so I generally find vehicle pictures a bore, but I can see why others might like them. In my opinion this is spoiled by the brightness of needle and the light area around it.

Really like speed, it could do with maybe a tighter crop to take out the lighter area at the top.

Hi Mark :wave:

Speed....quite liking the slight angle , everything appears nice n sharp (y) Might have been tempted to crop out the small bit where the hazard light switch is visible & the slightly lighter patch lower rhs ?

Shape...lovely little trinket box well placed on the wooden table - really don't think the table should work as a base but it does...maybe it's the strong lines contrasting with the curved box :thinking:

Plenty....not really sure about this one,like the silhouette and few clouds but as it's the sun I think I'd have preferred color...maybe ??

yep - connection is definitely a winner for me too.

nice processing on mono too - just shows taht a simple subject can make a good submission - no worrying about backgrounds or anything there.

steps is on theme but I'm struggling to get over the not straight / perspective issues there. Even just tried having a pull about of it but I can't make more than one thing line up. :LOL:

Hi, Steps, on theme and good exposure, just slightly on the squiff.

Mono, good metalic take and well composed.

Connection, good detail and interpretation. I'd like to see even lighting.

Cheers.

Steps - Nice set but I too struggle with the Uprights and Horizontals, I'd be tempted to crop tighter to remove some of the obvious ones

Mono - Simple shot works really well, nice one :)

Connection - Good shine and a descent black background, and interesting shapes too !!!

Hi Mark

Connection....simple but really effective , good black bg & no real bright bits.....top shot (y)

Mono.....for some reason this really appeals to me , just about perfectly symmetrical...sort of draws me in , has a kinda Dr Who type feel to it.....brilliant :clap:

Step....playing havoc with my eye's as wayyyy too many lines that don't all seem to be vertical/horizontal ...but I think it's more real than illusion ( just noted I don't think I'm making much sense here :LOL: )

Steps: Yes they are steps but I don't find the image very interesting, a better angle perhaps?

Mono: Nice. shame about the scratches. good composition though.

Connection: good lighting and great detail, just about kept it 3D - new forks would have helped but I like it anyway.

Sorry for the very late catchup, Mark. As said, the Steps shot fits the theme but doesn't really make an interesting picture. I susect a wide-angle lens in a cramped space here. Perhaps a tighter crop with the door and just a bit of the steps might work, else a different shot from another angle?

Mono is actually quite nice, good leading lines and a bit of a puzzle at first as to what it is.

Connection does work well, and I think the patina on the older forks actually helps it (rather than new ones).

Back