Yes
Hi

Well for some crazy reason I have decided to both 52's this year :bonk:

Here are this weeks efforts:

Revisit: The Future

January 04, 2012-3.jpg by Toothie, on Flickr

2012: Direction

January 04, 2012-1.jpg by Toothie, on Flickr

Both very similar in that they are both desk top pictures, I did go out to take the direction picture but the sky was pants and I couldn't get a composition I liked, So I had a rethink.

This week I learnt how to make boarders in Lightroom without Mogrify. It is interesting what you can learn when what you want to doesn't work. :)

Thanks for looking feel free to comment.

Ruth

Last edited:
Both 52's?! Good luck!!

Does April 10th signify anything special? A sentimental shot if it does, which is nice.

Out of the two I prefer the direction shot. The compass is nicely placed in the frame and I like the colours

You're very brave/mad/inspired/crazy (delete as appropriate) doing both 52's !!

I like the first shot and, as Miss C says, if the date has a special meaning to you then it really does capture the future theme very well ! :)

I like the direction idea and shot too. The compass dial is just a titchy bit soft to my eye. Would like to see this with the compass shot at f1.8 too just to lift it from the map a little.

The borders are great too :)

An interesting pair of shots :)

Good luck with your projects!

Thank you for the feedback all

Rob - If I still have the map I might try it at 1.8 and see what happens

Ruth
x

I like both of those, especially the "future" one.

How do you do borders in Lightroom? Just point me in the right direction please; I'm not after a full tutorial.

Mark

Love the detail in both Ruth...and I like the fact that you have enigmatically circled April 10th :) 2013!

Love the idea behind the map shot and the colours are good, agree that the compass dial looks a little soft against the sharpness and detail of the map but not disastrously so :)

Great start to the two 52s (Brave girl :))

I like both of those, especially the "future" one.

How do you do borders in Lightroom? Just point me in the right direction please; I'm not after a full tutorial.

Mark

Hiya - you play with the post-crop vingettes in the effects bit - or follow this blog where they know what they are talking about

http://laurashoe.com/2008/12/29/film-borders-and-classic-vignettes-in-lightroom/ :)

Thanks for the comments all, I know not everybody likes a boarder and they are too taste but I think pictures look odd with out them.

Ruth, I think you must be completely insane committing to both 52s but absolutely best of luck from me :clap:

Really good start, although it's direction that stands out the most for me. It's a nice sharp and clean image and I'm finding it really drawing me in and encouraging me to study the map.
I think that what makes it for me is the red road on the map that seems to link in with the red scale and needle on the compass to guide your eye across the whole picture.

Hi Ruth - what a brave girl you are doing both! I wish you very good luck. :)

The Future - nicely executed. I also wondered if 10 April 2013 is significant - and am impressed that you've got a 2013 calendar! If the date isn't significant, I hope when you get to that date you don't spend the day wondering what you've forgotten!!!

Direction - fits the theme really well. I like the way the roads almost encircle the compass and the map content makes for a good composition.

Great start to 2012. (y)

Jean

Hi Ruth

First of all you must be mad to be doing 2 of these at once - I remember how difficult it was doing 1 sometimes :LOL:

The Future - Great, simple idea and I really like the composition and the border is a great addition. And now I'm curious about the date too.

Direction - It's all been said above really. It fits the theme on 2 levels: the compass and the map itself. I do find the border a bit distracting though, perhaps it would look better without the rounded inner corners :shrug: or in a matching colour :shrug:

Good to see you again and I'm looking forward to following the rest of this thread.

Thanks all

I am sad to say that it is more likely that I will spend the 10th April wondering what I forgot :)
Thank you for all the feedback

Ruth

You're doing both ?? :nuts: good on your Ruth, and good luck.

Good on both, although the direction shot stands out rather than the Future (although it fits the theme).

is that sauce or real blood? :) Good idea for your fear shot! The needle does look sharp but could be the laptop Im on.

I like your abstract interpretation of float too. Not sure I like the white bit in the middle though. Out of interest what was your set up?

Wow, I love your Float shot - it's a great abstract with brilliant colours, light and pattern. All the elements have come together beautifully. Top shot! :clap:

Fear - this looks really scary (especially since I have to go for a blood test on Monday!! Thanks for the reminder! :razz:)

It's an excellent interpretation, and that drop of blood look all too real for my liking. :eek: I love the composition and the hint of colour in the hypodermic and when I stop shaking I'll definitely give it a thumbs up. (y)

Jean

Ruth two good 'uns

I loooove fear - I hope it is real blood (I used my own real blood for 'Opposites' in 2009 :)) That will, for me, make the shot :)

The composition is simple and effective...the single drop of blood just enough to do the job, like a scene from a horror film :) Top marks!

Float.....like Miss C I'd like to see the set up, initial thoughts were it was all PP work...I'd be fascinated to know how you did it....its hits the theme and is an intriguing and original abstract :) Nice one (y)

:D

Hi

Well for some crazy reason I have decided to both 52's this year :bonk:
You Loony :LOL:

Some cracking shots there... That needle is a great idea, my fav of yours so far (y)

Looking forward to seeing the next 50... scratch that, the next 100 :D

Thank-you all for the feedback,

Very little pp on floats - contrast and clarity.

To take all you need is some water in a glass dish above (about 6 inch distance) something coloured, add the oil to the water and stir, wait for it to become still and focus on the oil. The kitchen was dark and the flash too much so I used a little LED torch to add some light :) I should have taken a set up shot - sorry.

Hi Ruth,

I'm not sure that I can say that I like "fear" . . . in fact looking at it's making me a bit queasy (Yep - I'm one of those that hates needles, hospitals and anything medical.) But I guess that proves that it's having the intended effect :LOL: Brilliantly composed and executed - and it couldn't be any more on theme than it is :clap:

I do however, unreservedly love "float".
It's interesting to read about your set up. The first thing that occurred to me was that it was a lot darker than the other shots like this that I've seen in the past and the LED torch explains why.
And I really do like the darkness of it. I'm always hugely impressed when someone can take something that's been done many times before and put a new twist on it. This one I think has far more depth and 3D quality than the brighter versions that I've seen before.

Great fear shot Ruthie, I used to have a really bad fear of needles :eek:

No - a drop or some I can spare, a syringe full you have to fake, also its more or less impossible to take your own blood.

Sorry to disappoint.

Damn :) Understandable though and bloody realistic (no pun intended :))

Excellent Ruth... well done on both of them :clap: Can't really add much else.

Hi Ruth,
Super shot for Fear. Almost ethereal as if the person who had given the blood was 'feeling very sleepy'. Beautiful colours and well lit. That's the kind of pic that i would like to master but way off yet i am afraid. I find lighting very difficult and i have no idea how you created that.

Doom and Gloom was a horrible theme last time I did this, but at least this year there is doom and gloom everywhere you look :(

So I give you the Economic Doom & Gloom:

Doom & Gloom by Toothie, on Flickr

This is the effort from 2009:

2009November20-1 by Toothie, on Flickr

Well as far as I'm concerned sigh was the worst theme ever. I was aiming for the sigh you give when you stand in the front of the mirror on a cold winters morning knowing you are going to have to go outside and face the day ahead.
Sigh:

Sigh by Toothie, on Flickr

I am not 100% happy with the image. I worked on the conversion and I have that how wanted it and the ISO was intentionality high but I am not happy with the steam and the image / picture its self but never mind :(

Last edited:
Back