weekly Toothie's 2016 52 - Living World

Well while still waiting for the right conditions and being able to find the image I was after for old I stumbled upon this and couldn't resist...

Old by -Toothie-

If it is the original headstone from 1678 I would be impressed.

All though and comments welcome

Hi Ruth ...I've zoomed in and out of this one because I'm not sure if I would prefer it cropped on the left hand side, I like the light on the tree but think it has more atmosphere looking a bit darker.

That app sounds interesting, I'll have to try that one, I find the iPad limiting for editing at the moment and always end up back on my main computer.

Great interpretation on the theme - and a truly powerful sculpture - I too like the composition you have achieved. Not always easy with a static, large item. The framing in the lower corner against the lovely blue sky (I remember those!) gives a real narrative of escape from his capture. The shadows are always difficult when photographing a dark object against so much lovely sky! An exposure adjustment layer or brush would lift it to give a tad more detail - but it is a harsh critic that finds it a problem in such a strong image!

24173145292_98f66f5120_z37.JPG

Last edited:
Hi Ruth ...I've zoomed in and out of this one because I'm not sure if I would prefer it cropped on the left hand side, I like the light on the tree but think it has more atmosphere looking a bit darker.

That app sounds interesting, I'll have to try that one, I find the iPad limiting for editing at the moment and always end up back on my main computer.

I know what you mean, I had a zoomed in version as well but it just didn't look right - although it gives it light in the dark atmosphere which is not ideal with out the tree it lacks something imo.

Have only just downloaded pixelmator - I have a pro and I got the apple pencil for Christmas they work quite well together :)

Great interpretation on the theme - and a truly powerful sculpture - I too like the composition you have achieved. Not always easy with a static, large item. The framing in the lower corner against the lovely blue sky (I remember those!) gives a real narrative of escape from his capture. The shadows are always difficult when photographing a dark object against so much lovely sky! An exposure adjustment layer or brush would lift it to give a tad more detail - but it is a harsh critic that finds it a problem in such a strong image!

Thank you, although I have been taking pictures for quite a while I have never really edited them - may just move a few sliders about to make them pop a little but I have never used layers, thanks for the tips :)

Very strong image for Captive Ruth. As others have said, the chest is a bit dark, but then the dynamic range in that shot isgoing to be too much for any camera.
it will recover in PS though (I had a very quick rough play with the jpg and got detail back, so you should e able to do it a darn site better than my 30 second play.
(y)

A very emotive image, thanks for the background as well.

I totally agree, but while they have not been repeated in a legalised way it is sad to read that slavery worldwide is still in very high existence.

Thanks Steve - I know what you mean though slavery although not legal still very prevalent in many different ways.

Very strong image for Captive Ruth. As others have said, the chest is a bit dark, but then the dynamic range in that shot isgoing to be too much for any camera.
it will recover in PS though (I had a very quick rough play with the jpg and got detail back, so you should e able to do it a darn site better than my 30 second play.
(y)

Hi, I might lift the shadows a tab but well spotted.

Cheers.

Thanks Gents I am starting to have more of a play with the editing - I really struggle with it so hopefully by the end of the year you won't this any more :)

Great captive shot. You can just feel that sun too.

Gaz

Great write-up Ruth - nice to know the story behind the pic. Well themed and such a powerful image.

Hi Ruth
Old: Not sure on this. You're aiming for the headstone as the subject, but as the tree is closer (larger) and brighter, it takes the focal point away.
Maybe some kind of crop would re-focus the eye?

Great narrative which puts the picture into context but the strength of the image could also stand alone. I really hate it when they put such great statues on roundabouts as it always ends up a near death experience trying to photograph them for this challenge.

Well spotted although it screams Freedom to me...

Many thanks for the feedback back :)

Jill I agree it is more freedom than captive - but I didn't have a teddy with me to incarcerate

Captive - He may now be free but he clearly was very much a captive I like the back story thank you for sharing it
the statue does speak volumes on its own. great picture.

Hi Ruth

Great start to your challenge

Old: I really like the feel of this image and certainly fits the theme

Metal: A really nice simple fit to the theme works for me

Captive: A great image that really fits the theme I like the statues placement in the frame it gives it space to 'look' into.

Liking the idea - neat composition, focus is sharp, unfussy and clean bg, and it is generally well lit. Meets the needs of the theme; it is the reflection in the glass that bother me somewhat, as does the debris in the lid.

Did you take any pics out of the plane window? They could work for miniature.

Spooks

Liking the idea - neat composition, focus is sharp, unfussy and clean bg, and it is generally well lit. Meets the needs of the theme; it is the reflection in the glass that bother me somewhat, as does the debris in the lid.

Did you take any pics out of the plane window? They could work for miniature.

Spooks

Thanks Simon, I did have some with out the debris but I quite like it for some reason - so I left it in but I do get what you mean.

It was a night flight over water and then lots of cloud when we came over the UK so nothing to take pics of really :)

Hiya Ruth, great image, i like the reflection in the glass.

Hi Ruth. Like Lee, I too like the highlights in the glass. Great choice of prop ... .I like the clearing up after when the props can be consumed, it's when they're not that there's a problem.

Nice disparity of sizes between the glass and the bottle, well done. It's a little bit too dark lower down for me, perhaps a graduated plus exposure in post would have evened it up a bit.

Great take on the theme but are you sure it's a miniature bottle and not a giant glass.......:p

'Old' I like the colour and composition of this shot.
'Captive' powerful image that ,I think, works really well.
'Miniature' Nice soft tones with the reflection look great.

Miniature - spot on theme, the glass is just the right size for that bottle.

Good interpretation of the theme, the bottle works perfectly alongside the glass. The bottom of the bottle and the lid get a little lost on the dark surface on my monitor, maybe would have been better stood on something a little brighter. I like the reflections on the glass and bottle though.

Miniature - Nice image, not to keen on the bg, but it is sharp and fits the theme.

Good interpretation of the theme, the bottle works perfectly alongside the glass. The bottom of the bottle and the lid get a little lost on the dark surface on my monitor, maybe would have been better stood on something a little brighter. I like the reflections on the glass and bottle though.

Hi Ruth :)

Miniature - Crfit first... sorry but not liking the discarded plastic in the bottle lid, and amazed there is still wine in the bottle :whistle:... That is a nice little bottle that fits the theme well sat next to the glass, and like the reflection too :)

Thank you for the feedback - it seems the reflections gained a mixed response but I was the only one the liked the plastic from the lid cover :doh:

Danger

Of death no less ;)

Danger by -Toothie-

Spotted this while out and about taking abandoned pictures and as I am still awaiting inspiration for camouflage I thought I would take my luck where I could find it :)

Oh my gosh - message couldn't be clearer - I'm assuming the number is an ID and not a counter (gulp). Spot on for the theme.

Back