weekly Toothie's 2016 52 - Living World

Oh my gosh - message couldn't be clearer - I'm assuming the number is an ID and not a counter (gulp). Spot on for the theme.

Thanks Carl As it was on the end of a residential street with a dead end I think your right about the ID.

Although we still have overhead cables carrying the main supply of electricity on to the island which iirc is 33000 volts and we often get power cuts in high winds, I think mainly because they disconnect it for safety rather than it blowing down any more but still very dangerous compared to under floor as it were!

3 great idea's Ruth, all on theme, love the abandoned house (y)

Happy - A very unique take on the theme. Well done! :)

Abandoned - Wow, that sure looks abandoned to me. I wonder how it will look if you took this picture at night. Could look like a haunted house, especially with all that creepy overgrowth and broken windows and boarded up doors. A good find for the theme!

Danger - I've never seen a sign that said "Danger of Death" so this is an interesting capture. (y) I'm curious, what's the danger exactly?

Hi Ruth - not quite sure how I missed yours so apologies!

Metal - it works and the DOF definitely brings your attention to the metal. I like the composition but maybe photographing it slightly less flat-on would make it even stronger? Good start though...
Captivity - well taken shot in what looks like bright sunshine. Hard conditions and the shadows on the statue pay tribute to that - if you could reshoot at a time with lower sun perhaps behind you or to the side, it would be interesting to compare the two?
Old - definitely on-theme and good to experiment a bit with composition. Well spotted.
Miniature - also well on-theme. A very hard subject to photograph, so brilliant for going for it. You could try getting the subject closer to that window behind you, and then taking it at slightly more of an angle - you'd probably still end up with your reflection in the glass but the highlights should be softer. Always good to try different things though so well done.
Happy - really good take here, another well done from me. Shadow under the box is slightly softer as a result of a larger light source (you can take this even further if you want) but you still get enough directional light to make the braille show up. Really good shot!
Danger - I nearly took a similar image so I think your choice is inspired ;) Good use of DOF and although the overcast sky looks slightly blown, it doesn't detract from the image and allows you to get decent shadow detail on the pole. Well done.

Keep it up!

Hi, certainly fits the theme, its amazing what's around us if we just open our eyes a little more

Definately dangerous, nicely taken :)

Thank you

3 great idea's Ruth, all on theme, love the abandoned house (y)

Thanks Chris, the house is such a shame it makes me so sad :(

Hey Ruth :)

Happy - You aint wrong here, and a nice clean, sharp and bright image too, like it :)

Abandoned - Now that is a shame, a nice decent sized house at that, sad indeed :(

Danger - Not the most interesting of images, but hey, right to the point :jawdrop:

Thanks DK, I agree that danger isn't all that interesting but it fitted the theme and got me off the naughty list, well almost ;)

Happy - A very unique take on the theme. Well done! :)

Abandoned - Wow, that sure looks abandoned to me. I wonder how it will look if you took this picture at night. Could look like a haunted house, especially with all that creepy overgrowth and broken windows and boarded up doors. A good find for the theme!

Danger - I've never seen a sign that said "Danger of Death" so this is an interesting capture. (y) I'm curious, what's the danger exactly?

The danger is electricity - we still have overhead cables leading into houses in some places on the island, thanks for the feedback :)

Hi Ruth - not quite sure how I missed yours so apologies!

Metal - it works and the DOF definitely brings your attention to the metal. I like the composition but maybe photographing it slightly less flat-on would make it even stronger? Good start though...
Captivity - well taken shot in what looks like bright sunshine. Hard conditions and the shadows on the statue pay tribute to that - if you could reshoot at a time with lower sun perhaps behind you or to the side, it would be interesting to compare the two?
Old - definitely on-theme and good to experiment a bit with composition. Well spotted.
Miniature - also well on-theme. A very hard subject to photograph, so brilliant for going for it. You could try getting the subject closer to that window behind you, and then taking it at slightly more of an angle - you'd probably still end up with your reflection in the glass but the highlights should be softer. Always good to try different things though so well done.
Happy - really good take here, another well done from me. Shadow under the box is slightly softer as a result of a larger light source (you can take this even further if you want) but you still get enough directional light to make the braille show up. Really good shot!
Danger - I nearly took a similar image so I think your choice is inspired ;) Good use of DOF and although the overcast sky looks slightly blown, it doesn't detract from the image and allows you to get decent shadow detail on the pole. Well done.

Keep it up!

No appoligies needed I'm sure I have missed a few there are so many at the moment. Thanks for all the detailed feedback unfortunately I'm now back in the UK so no chance of a reshoot, even if I could face the traffic again! The larger light source in Happy was the dinning room window which has a nice white window ledge, it is very useful (y)

Hi, certainly fits the theme, its amazing what's around us if we just open our eyes a little more

Thank you :)

Hi Ruth. Spot on theme :)
The sky is either very grey, or blown. I wonder if this is a shot where HDR would have been appropriate to bring life back to the sky.

It was a very gray day but I could have maybe got a little more detail with HDR - it has been pulled back a little already, maybe one for a reshoot when the weather is a bit better :)

Hi Ruth ...that notice is certainly spot on for the theme ...the sky is a maybe a bit bare, but at this time of the year it's unfortunately an almost permanent hazard.

Your not wrong about the hazards of grey skies, they are a total pain in the bottom [emoji45]

I don't think I've dropped in on your thread yet! Great pics so far: I think Happy is my cynical favourite.

I don't think I've dropped in on your thread yet! Great pics so far: I think Happy is my cynical favourite.

I think it is my favourite too, which is odd because it was a second idea, initially I was going to make smilie face cup cakes but I got the wrong icing gel and by the time I could get back to the shops I would have had to remake the cakes!

Bang on theme Ruth, and well spotted!

Three great photographs, I like your alternative take on 'happy' and the house certainly looks 'abandoned'. When I see a property like that it always make me wonder why it has been left to get in such a state.
Your 'danger' shot certainly fits the theme. Liz:)

Last edited:
Hi Ruth :wave:

Happy is an inspired choice and opens a can of worms too. For some people it will make them happier but for others, whose depression is caused by external factors it is less likely if these factors do not improve/change. I like the way I can see the braille in what's quite a bright image (y)

Abandoned, the gloomy sky certainly adds to the feeling of abandonment and makes a very appropriate image. Such a shame such a large house is not being used.

Danger, another good spot. The yellow draws the eye to the Danger here.

Hi Ruth ... I've missed so many of your posts than I care to admit to.

I like the Happy lighting ... white on white with the definitive blue line.

Abandoned .. what a state.

Danger of death ... I feel something more could be made of that, but would probably involve shoppery like a scary sky ... that's cheating tho.

Happy - I used to have them tablets for treating my depression, so works for me.

Abandoned - indeed a good find for the theme, don't think anyone will be living in that house anytime soon.

Danger - simple but yet effective for the theme.

Happy - well certainly after taking them, nice clean shot, perfect for the subject.

Abandoned - good take on the theme, shame places like that are left to ruins

Danger - good shot and like the angle.

3 interesting pictures the House is indeed a sad sight such a shame.
all on theme and well taken

Hi Ruth

Abandoned - Great image for the theme its a same to see houses that could provide a home being left like this.

Danger - Nice angle adds a bit of impact

Bang on theme Ruth, and well spotted!

Thanks Ruth i literaly turned round and it was right in front of me :)

That sign certainly sums up danger and I like the positioning of the pole.

Thank you

Three great photographs, I like your alternative take on 'happy' and the house certainly looks 'abandoned'. When I see a property like that it always make me wonder why it has been left to get in such a state.
Your 'danger' shot certainly fits the theme. Liz:)

That house makes me so sad - they know who owns it apparently the owner died and the children spent so long arguing over if they shoukld sell the family home it fell into ruins :(

Hi Ruth :wave:

Happy is an inspired choice and opens a can of worms too. For some people it will make them happier but for others, whose depression is caused by external factors it is less likely if these factors do not improve/change. I like the way I can see the braille in what's quite a bright image (y)

Abandoned, the gloomy sky certainly adds to the feeling of abandonment and makes a very appropriate image. Such a shame such a large house is not being used.

Danger, another good spot. The yellow draws the eye to the Danger here.

Hi Jill, thanks for the feedback I Think happy is my fav so far this year!

well taken, its amazing after seeing the theme last week you take more notice of things and these sort of signs are all over the place,

You can find al sorts if you look for it

Hi Ruth ... I've missed so many of your posts than I care to admit to.

I like the Happy lighting ... white on white with the definitive blue line.

Abandoned .. what a state.

Danger of death ... I feel something more could be made of that, but would probably involve shoppery like a scary sky ... that's cheating tho.

I agree d00d but my shoppery limit is removing power lines from blue skies, i usually make images worse rather than better but maybe one for a reshoot with a better sky.

Great minds think alike. ;)
I like the processing of the background

On theme, but not too keen on the foliage on the LHS, maybe getting down much lower and trying to get rid of some distractions.

Cheers.

The aim was to add a little context but, I can see what you mean, I am not sure it is enough to add rather than distract.

Happy - I used to have them tablets for treating my depression, so works for me.

Abandoned - indeed a good find for the theme, don't think anyone will be living in that house anytime soon.

Danger - simple but yet effective for the theme.

Thank you

Happy - well certainly after taking them, nice clean shot, perfect for the subject.

Abandoned - good take on the theme, shame places like that are left to ruins

Danger - good shot and like the angle.

:) Thank you

3 interesting pictures the House is indeed a sad sight such a shame.
all on theme and well taken

I know its nuts that they allow houses to get in that mess - it will needs its own danger of death sign soon!

Hi Ruth

Abandoned - Great image for the theme its a same to see houses that could provide a home being left like this.

Danger - Nice angle adds a bit of impact

Thank you

That is beautiful Ruth. Love the colour choice for the bg - sets the lily off so nicely. Sheer delicacy. :clap:

The background looks good.
The flower does look a little soft to me though.
Cracking image nonetheless (y)

hi, BG works fine but overall its lacking a little brightness well to me on my monitor

Lovely delicate image Ruth.

Pretty colours! I love the white on purple and the reds stand out amongst that. Nice composition too!

Camouflage- definitely fits the theme
Living world- very pretty shot lovely colours and spot on with the focus.

Hi Ruth ...good choice for your Camouflage shot ...I like the composition.

The lily I really like against your choice of background ....it's so nice to see something other than black or white and your choice complements the lily well. I think as Allan says it could maybe be a tad brighter but it is a white flower and it may blow it out so I'm not too sure on that one.

Hello Ruth, liking your Living World entry, the framing is good and the background sets it off nicely. Maybe be a touch more contrast might help

Many thanks for the feedback everyone. @Cobra the focus is on the pollen bits as they continue the life of the species so your right the flower is a little soft :)

Glad you all like the purple [emoji3]

Back