weekly TPDK's 52 of 2017 - Wk 49 to 52 Added and COMPLETE

The little girls expression definitely grabs you straight away
I am in two minds as to wether there are to many distractions, its certainly interesting, will need to think about that one :thinking:

The little girls expression definitely grabs you straight away
I am in two minds as to wether there are to many distractions, its certainly interesting, will need to think about that one :thinking:
Thanks Allan, I thought this could cause some discussion :)

A good capture of the moment Dean, nice colours and well lit and love the look on the little girls face :)
Thank you David :) - I do not think you can beat natural expressions of children, no holding back or poker faces !!

Really nice bit of story telling, good expression on her face
Thank you Chris :)

Very nicely caught Dean - the expression cuts through all the distractions for me. More a documentary style I guess.
Thank you Em, and a nice way to put it, wish I had thought of that (y)

A shard of expression in a field of blur...brilliant capture DK
Cool - Thanks Frank, what a great way to put it too :cool:

I too, think its a little cluttered TBH, but that's a great expression on the little girls face Dean,
well captured :)

The "clutter" and the little girls expression go well together - her discomfort perhaps stems from feeling overwhelmed by the activity and noise around her so to me the inclusion is highly relevant. Terrific shot Dean - love it.

The "clutter" and the little girls expression go well together - her discomfort perhaps stems from feeling overwhelmed by the activity and noise around her so to me the inclusion is highly relevant. Terrific shot Dean - love it.
Ahhhh yes now that is what I was more thinking of, glad somebody agrees :D - Her mums hand holding tight giving her the comfort she obviously needs, they were a noisy bunch, fighting over the sausage rolls... sounds like a TP national meet :LOL:

Last edited:
Do you think a tighter crop would be better
Not sure what it is TBH Dean, but I *Think" it maybe the OoF lad, if it was just the girl and the two boys "having a chat"
It may have worked a bit better, but having said that of course that then would have left a "dead" area dead centre..

Great expression, nicely caught. I don't mind the OOF boy in the middle of the frame, but I'm not quite sure about the blurry arm (?) that stretches right across the top bit of the frame...

Not sure what it is TBH Dean, but I *Think" it maybe the OoF lad, if it was just the girl and the two boys "having a chat"
It may have worked a bit better, but having said that of course that then would have left a "dead" area dead centre..
Very true, thanks again Chris... it is what it is on this occasion :)

Great expression, nicely caught. I don't mind the OOF boy in the middle of the frame, but I'm not quite sure about the blurry arm (?) that stretches right across the top bit of the frame...
Thank you Bernd :)...maybe a bit off the top, or that may then not be noticeable as an arm, I wish it wasn't there but then the sheepish look may not have been so effective :thinking:

Slightly charming shot that is actually added to by the obscured view......Good work Dean.
Thank you Mark, glad you think so :)

I love the fact that you've taken it just as she looks into the camera. The "clutter" left right and centre puts her need for the parent right into context, I think it absolutely adds to the shot.

I love the fact that you've taken it just as she looks into the camera. The "clutter" left right and centre puts her need for the parent right into context, I think it absolutely adds to the shot.
Cheers Nick, nicely put too (y)

Love the expression you've captured there DK ...I'd be tempted with a crop, but then again I do like the fact that you've singled her out with all the action going on around ...I think it works both ways.
Hahaaa thank you Susie :_ - you sound as indecisive as me on the options :D

Cluttered but nicely focused on the girl LHS, I somehow wish the child RHS was completely OOF.

Blimey, new theme out so lets get the last one up and gone...

Thanks to @Shirleyr for this suggestion, I tried looooooods of angles, depths of field and crops, settled on these two, both have a section of the shaver in it, I tried to emphasise the movement by picking one with a tad of blur in it, preferring the first as it appears to be not so obvious as to what it is :D

Week 3 - Hairy

Wk 3 - Hairy by TP DK, on Flickr

And here is a different angle and wider crop

Wk 3 - Hairy 2 by TP DK, on Flickr

Its ok not great, I bet Mrs Knight would like it. It could also be on theme as smooth as a babies bottom, if your really stuck.:oops: :$
P.S At least there is no blood.o_O

Last edited:
I don't know whether it's the crop or angle but I prefer #2 Dean. Must have been difficult to take I imagine. (Of course a cut throat razor and a drop or two of blood and gore would have been good for drama ... just saying ... ha ha).

I'm beginning to worry about you lot :D
Interesting but slightly weird at the same time ;)

Its ok not great, I bet Mrs Knight would like it. It could also be on theme as smooth as a babies bottom, if your really stuck.:oops: :$
P.S At least there is no blood.o_O
Ahhh yes no blood with electric razor :)

I don't know whether it's the crop or angle but I prefer #2 Dean. Must have been difficult to take I imagine. (Of course a cut throat razor and a drop or two of blood and gore would have been good for drama ... just saying ... ha ha).
Thanks Carl :) - Yes a cut throat would have been good, but I do not have one :)

Like the 1st shot more, but I did know right away what it was :)
Thanks Dave, I tried to make the crops odd, but not easy to disguise :D

That's a weird photograph, looks like a mannequin :)
I was trying to be still while moving the shaver, whilst pushing the back button focus, whilst trying to see the viewfinder at an angle in the mirror, then pushing the shutter with my thumb, should have seen me :D

Motion blur works well and nice detail, can't have been easy.

Cheers.
Thanks... and above no it wasn't mate, much harder than expected :)

I'm beginning to worry about you lot :D
Interesting but slightly weird at the same time ;)
Weird, now that's what I like to hear :LOL:

I think I saw him on The Simpsons. o_O
Hahaa :D

Well that's definitely different DK ... it's difficult to try and keep coming up with something different isn't it, I didn't instantly recognise the shaver. I agree with Shirley it would suit smooth too.....I think it has to be the second one for me, I just prefer the angle.
Thank you Susie, agreed when time is tight it is touch, but hey it's all part of the challenge isn't it, good weeks, rubbish weeks, strong images and post and be damned, they can not all be stunning :)

I prefer #2 because I can kind of recognise what it is. But if you prefer obfuscation #1 is your choice :) When I saw the photo in the pictures thread I thought you were wearing giant headphones and wondered about the connection to the theme...

Hi DK.
Comfort - Yes, you've certainly caught her expression well with the shot. Kids parties are a nightmare to get good shots at - I generally just end up with bland overall images.
Hairy - I had no idea, looking just a the first shot, what it was, so glad you posted up the other one too. It's ermm... different ;)

Comfort - I see what you mean by the distracting elements, but I'm with you the expression on the little girls face is a picture. Not sure why but even with the distractions the image works in places where it shouldn't.

Hairy - It fits the theme, and good control of the colours in the skin, composition wise it's just not working for me sorry :(

Last edited:
I prefer #2 because I can kind of recognise what it is. But if you prefer obfuscation #1 is your choice :) When I saw the photo in the pictures thread I thought you were wearing giant headphones and wondered about the connection to the theme...
Thank you Bernd :)

yes I guess it could be seen as headphones :)
Either one for me, very odd
Thanks Allan - I like Odd :D

Hi DK.
Comfort - Yes, you've certainly caught her expression well with the shot. Kids parties are a nightmare to get good shots at - I generally just end up with bland overall images.
It was a challenging day that's for sure, >800 images to edit too :bang: - Thanks Tim :)
Hairy - I had no idea, looking just a the first shot, what it was, so glad you posted up the other one too. It's ermm... different ;)
Yay !!! another 'different' I like that too :)

Took me a few seconds to work it out, still can't work out if you're shaving? Fits the theme for sure, bit of a moody feel to it too!
Thank you Dom, yes Shaving, I didn't want to make it too obvious and be overly boring :D

Comfort - I see what you mean by the distracting elements, but I'm with you the expression on the little girls face is a picture. Not sure why but even with the distractions the image works in places where it shouldn't.
Thank you Mandy :)

Hairy - It fits the theme, and good control of the colours in the skin, composition wise it's just not working for me sorry :(
Thank you, fits the theme is enough for me this week :D - no worries if not working for you, can't please them all as they say :)

Comfort - I like the shot, expecially the way she is holding the hand to her face, think I might have tried with the boy on the right cropped out as the half an eye is a bit distracting.

Hairy - #1 for me as I like the more abstract take on it.

Comfort - I like the shot, expecially the way she is holding the hand to her face, think I might have tried with the boy on the right cropped out as the half an eye is a bit distracting.
Thank you Steve, very good points made too (y)

Hairy - #1 for me as I like the more abstract take on it.
Thank you again Steve :)

And here is my Smooth...

This was harder than I expected, I set up on a 10 second timer, focused on a very narrow DoF, had one Speedlight attached to try and freeze the wood shavings flying, well.... it sort of worked, having to press the release, and rush over, crouch down and try and time the planning to be in full motion and in the focus area when the shutter opened was a tad hit and miss :D - I didn't get as much of my hard hat in as I had hoped and the sawdust got caught by the wind so I did not get the jet of particules I was after, but this will do okay, one to try again for me in calmer weather :)

Wk 4 - SMOOTH-ing wood :)

Wk 4 - Smooth by TP DK, on Flickr

Back