weekly Treehugger81 - 2012 - 52 Week Challenge - Week 8 - Money (added late)

Phil, like your take on this theme, low pov works very well, my only issue is the green on the base of the left hand tree, it kind of distracts from the actual darkness, but non the less a really good shot.

Until you pointed it out i hadn't really noticed the green bit. :thinking: Goes to show i should really take a good look at my shots before posting. thanks for commenting.

Firstly just have to say I have just had a look at your new edit for week one, spot on :) Much better without the person in the background.

Now to fear, now this one I likey a lot. Very atmospheric and great lighting and the colour saturation is just about perfect I think.

Maybe a touch tightly cropped on the left side but not by enough to worry about, it would just be the icing on the cake for the roots to fade out as they have in the other tree.

I really like the way it makes me want to know whats out there in that darkenss.
This is the second image I have seen today that makes me thing Blair Witch Project.

Great work Phil :)

Thanks roly I agree about the week one edit.

I see what you mean about the left hand side, it is a shame. I guess i was concentrating more on getting the light right rather than the fine details of the composition. Another lesson learnt :D

Thanks for the comments Roly

I love it, but I don't think I'd want to go wandering in that forest at night you might find a mad axe man!!:LOL:

If you take a look at Marshall194 and his submission for week 2 you'll find the mad axe man!!!! He's a friend and we were both in the lakes on a trip with Ben aka the mad axe man. lol

Thanks for commenting Sarah

Excellent shot... the roots resemble claws and certainly adds to the "fear" factor.

I too really like this one Phil, as mentioned above it has a Blair Witch feel about it. It works well with the theme with some great mood lighting on the front trees receding back into darkness. it really conveys a sense of fear in wondering whats beyond in the darkness. iain

blakester said:
I too really like this one Phil, as mentioned above it has a Blair Witch feel about it. It works well with the theme with some great mood lighting on the front trees receding back into darkness. it really conveys a sense of fear in wondering whats beyond in the darkness. iain

Thanks Iain

Fear, very, very nice. Low composition works very well. Gives a sense of being over whelmed. Recedes nicely into the distance. Very Blair Witch Project.

Just lower right shadow...

Cheers.

posiview said:
Fear, very, very nice. Low composition works very well. Gives a sense of being over whelmed. Recedes nicely into the distance. Very Blair Witch Project.

Just lower right shadow...

Cheers.

Thanks Andy. I know what you mean about the shadow not a great deal I could have done though. The angle of the ground coupled with the fact I couldn't get any further back because a bloody great tree was in the way meant I couldn't get anymore foreground in the shot without sacrificing the bottom of the left hand tree or the height. :shrug:

2 excellent images! :clap:
I love the smooth silky waterfall and the dark woods certainly inspires fear! :eek:

Scared of the dark? tsk when I was 12 maybe :nono:
Only joking of course, I'm still a big kid and easily scared, love the shot (y)

happygolucky said:
Scared of the dark? tsk when I was 12 maybe :nono:
Only joking of course, I'm still a big kid and easily scared, love the shot (y)

Not scared exactly, but when it's pitch black and your just looking out into a woodland with just your head torch on there is definitely something quite eerie about it!!! Thanks for coming by and commenting (y)

Hi Phil, my first time dropping into your challenge thread :)
Those are 2 great pictures to start the 52 off with, i think the first photo is fantastic .... well done (y)

Direction, great image and i'm also in the camp of crop the person, the landscape speaks for itself, and the direction is caught in the water movement.

Fear, spot on it matches the theme perfectly

Really nice shot, the sheer size of the trees make you feel small.
Terrifying:O

Hello

Firstly, not at all envious that you have been out and about in the Lake District, or that you have been walking up the Old Man of Consiton!

Direction image - love the composition; seeing the river cascade down the frame. The edit (glad you clarified who the mystery person was, I was wondering if it was the Old Man of Coniston himself) works much better.

Fear image - this works really well too. I like the low / wide angle but would maybe have toned the lights / image to something more blue/cold.

Cheers

Spooks

Spooky said:
Hello

Firstly, not at all envious that you have been out and about in the Lake District, or that you have been walking up the Old Man of Consiton!

Direction image - love the composition; seeing the river cascade down the frame. The edit (glad you clarified who the mystery person was, I was wondering if it was the Old Man of Coniston himself) works much better.

Fear image - this works really well too. I like the low / wide angle but would maybe have toned the lights / image to something more blue/cold.

Cheers

Spooks

Hi spooks, I've been quite lucky to get up there as much as I have these past couple
of weeks. Hopefully will get the chance to go a lot more often. It's such a beautiful place!!!

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Hadn't thought of doing anything like that with the fear shot. I agree it may make it look a little more chilling. Will have to have a play with it and see what I can do, havn't had much experience with PP so probably a good chance to start.

OMG... another escaped the net

What a great start !!!!

Wk1: Really like the edited shot, with the mist in the background, that water is sooooo flowing

Wk2: Creepy or what !!! Great composition and love how you and your mates have lit it

Both weeks well on theme - really look forward to seeing your 'Sigh' and further shots (y)

Hi Phil,

I really like your waterfall. Not easy to get right. The mist at the top of the hill adds loads of character to your shot, and I think the guy in view adds a bit of mystery. He could be a monk!

Now I'm not one who's a scardey-cat in the dark, but I don't think I'd take a short-cut through those woods. Great eerie lighting and definitely asking what horrors are lurking out there? Nice.

OMG... another escaped the net

What a great start !!!!

Wk1: Really like the edited shot, with the mist in the background, that water is sooooo flowing

Wk2: Creepy or what !!! Great composition and love how you and your mates have lit it

Both weeks well on theme - really look forward to seeing your 'Sigh' and further shots (y)

I've given up on commenting on everyone, i'm just getting through as many as i can.
Thank you for your comments they are greatly appreciated DK. As for Sigh well, i'm not confident that it will actually fit the theme. We'll see :shrug:
Hi Phil,

I really like your waterfall. Not easy to get right. The mist at the top of the hill adds loads of character to your shot, and I think the guy in view adds a bit of mystery. He could be a monk!

Now I'm not one who's a scardey-cat in the dark, but I don't think I'd take a short-cut through those woods. Great eerie lighting and definitely asking what horrors are lurking out there? Nice.

Thanks for the comments Stephen, the woods were in the middle of nowhere in the lake district me and some mates spent the weekend there. Good times!!!

Okay here goes. Week 3 Sigh. A real toughie to try and get a decent idea. I had a few but none of them seemed to jump out at me!! Then I thought about a shot I had taken last Saturday morning. I was with Marshall194 and we got up stupidly early to take some shots of the sunrise at Skipool creek in Poulton-le-Fylde. Its full of boats old and new, a pretty cool place.

Old rotting machines or structures sometimes have a despondent, fed up kind of feel and sometimes, if they could I think they would let out the biggest sigh as if to say "oh well not long now".

1-
MG_3197.jpg

2-
MG_3198.jpg

I prefer the 2nd version, but is there any chance of clearing up the right hand side? (I'm rubbish at PP so might be asking the impossible!)

I love the first pic. You've captured the mood perfectly.
Good job mate. :)

I love the first pic. You've captured the mood perfectly.
Good job mate. :)

Thanks Richard

Prefer the first to the second. Great shot but would love more on the left hand side. Just feel it's a bit too tight on both images at the ship's head.

Yeah I do agree but there was a lot of distractions ont he left hand side of the shot. I cropped it a little to get rid of the majority but feel that the image would have suffered more if i hadn't. Not sure what i could have done to eliminate the problem.

Back