weekly Wallyboys 52 for 2016, CELEBRATION ADDED

Hi Walter, a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and only just had a chance to return your visit to my thread. I'll try to stay up to date in future!

Old - some great props there! I was going to mention the focus issues but then read that it was intentional so no problems there.
Metal - great props again. I struggle with indoor photography so don't have much to offer in advice apart from those slight creases in the background, and it's a bold colourful scene.
Captive - another interesting prop and the background colour complements the colour of the wood very well. A nice warm and detailed image.
Miniature - you achieved the result you were looking for; he's very bold and colourful and definitely 'pops' from the blue background (y)
Happy - both images are bang on theme, but because of the distracting background I prefer the second one, as his happy face stands out much better. Not sure about the border though...
Abandoned - a great find for the theme. It looks isolated and overgrown, and the rust and damaged paintwork underline the theme.
Camouflage - an interesting combination of images to fit the theme. I agree with the comments that the gecko could be made to stand out a little more, but well done on the idea and the PPing to get it.
Dangerous - a fun image, but you'll definitely be in danger if she sees that! The Woody is bright and looks incredibly alert to impending danger.
Topical - well done on a very topical image. I suspect it will be topical for a while to come, as well...!

Last edited:
Danger - I do like the witch shot, nice find.

Topical - a nice take on the theme, a good clean sharp image, I even like the rough looking bg. I would say it fits the theme nicely, feet up now for the rest of the week.

More controversy eh?
I think I would prefer the image to be a little brighter and the added text is lacking in depth (maybe a drop shadow would have helped).

Nice bit of creativity there! ;)

Clever take on the theme, I had thought of doing something EU related but I doubt I could better that. The brussels sprout is a nice touch :)

Like the brussels sprout and the clear message the image collectively gives. Definitely on theme as this will be the topic for discussion.

Love the sprout, says it all really

Nice idea - that's one very battered looking sprout!

Hi Walter ...a very Topical idea ...I love your rather tired looking sprout ....not too sure about the writing ....I think less would be more.

Damn that is one sorry looking Sprout :D

There is a tad too much going on for me, but still a nice idea and good effort putting it all together :)

As DK says theres a lot going on in the image and makes it hard to focus on one point but I like the thought process behind it. I think it may be a topical theme for a while yet

Hi Walter, that's a clever image and very creative composition. I think as others have said, a slight exposure lift would make it stand out a bit more, as would a little more depth/texture on the white lettering (the Freedom is fine for me). The sprout looks very slightly soft to me, but it's a great addition alongside the coins.

Very on-theme and I think you've done well with it!

definitely on theme, nicely done :)

Hi Walter, a quick catch-up from me as I've been busy catching up with my themes and only just had a chance to return your visit to my thread. I'll try to stay up to date in future!

Old - some great props there! I was going to mention the focus issues but then read that it was intentional so no problems there.
Metal - great props again. I struggle with indoor photography so don't have much to offer in advice apart from those slight creases in the background, and it's a bold colourful scene.
Captive - another interesting prop and the background colour complements the colour of the wood very well. A nice warm and detailed image.
Miniature - you achieved the result you were looking for; he's very bold and colourful and definitely 'pops' from the blue background (y)
Happy - both images are bang on theme, but because of the distracting background I prefer the second one, as his happy face stands out much better. Not sure about the border though...
Abandoned - a great find for the theme. It looks isolated and overgrown, and the rust and damaged paintwork underline the theme.
Camouflage - an interesting combination of images to fit the theme. I agree with the comments that the gecko could be made to stand out a little more, but well done on the idea and the PPing to get it.
Dangerous - a fun image, but you'll definitely be in danger if she sees that! The Woody is bright and looks incredibly alert to impending danger.
Topical - well done on a very topical image. I suspect it will be topical for a while to come, as well...!

Thanks for comments, no one picked up on the frost as BG, it was meant to mean frosty reception for Cameron, the rest is self explanatory.

It could have had a few tweaks here and there, overall it was just a Narrative,

The second one for me Walter.
Due to the more oof background and the fact that you've kept detail in the black feathers.
Hard to tgell exactly at that size image, but the eye looks pretty damn sharp.

The second one for me Walter.
Due to the more oof background and the fact that you've kept detail in the black feathers.
Hard to tgell exactly at that size image, but the eye looks pretty damn sharp.
Thanks Tim,
Was going to go for something completely different, A people shot, then thought these fit so why not.

Hi Walter. I agree with Tim - #2 for me too for the same reasons; the detail in and softness of the black feathers is excellent. Both brilliant shots and spot on theme of course. :clap:

Both are great shots of the living world. #2 does it for me, looks razor sharp and detailed with the background out of focus. The robin seems to be super sharp too, but the background is a bit too busy for my taste.

I like both shots Walter ....you've captured them both really well, I think the blackbird has the edge because of the composition, love the way he's landed on that post, and the crisp leaf adds extra interest. Nice detail in the feathers, the eye, and the beak too ....perfect choice for the theme :clap:

The robin is my favourite bird too ...they're so friendly :)

Last edited:
Topical - a nice take on the theme, a good clean sharp image.
The Living World - I also prefer the second bird image for the same reasons, nice exposure and the sharpness is better.

Last edited:
Topical great take on the theme and I like your take on Brussels loll
The living world 2 very nice pictures but No2 for me love the colours and the yellow round the eye (y)

2nd one for me too Walter, although the Robin is nice enough you seem to have missed the focus a little.
So the Blackbird for me (y)

Camo - like it but a tad dark - would like to see some extra exposure to lighten it up a bit :)

Danger(ous) - Brave more like ;) :D

Topical - Interesting and creative composition - can imagine it took a bit of work to produce !

Living World - 2 nice images - who doesnt like a Robin ? ( :D ;0 :p) the second pips it for me for the DOF and BG

Sorry bit of a catch up on comments

Abandoned - good find for the theme
Camouflage - I like the gheko. Interesting composition nicely put together
Danger - The Witch is fun but the I like woody woodpecker best.
Topical - right on theme
Living World - The robin is lovely but I like the blackbird shot better good Dof with the bird nice and sharp

Living world....I love Robins, but it has to be the Blackbird for me. That eye really pops.
Gathering bits for his nest maybe?

I like both shots Walter ....you've captured them both really well, I think the blackbird has the edge because of the composition, love the way he's landed on that post, and the crisp leaf adds extra interest. Nice detail in the feathers, the eye, and the beak too ....perfect choice for the theme :clap:

The robin is my favourite bird too ...they're so friendly :)
thanks susie

Living world - I love both shots, but the second one compositionally has the edge for me.
Thanks PBB have you got a bike.

Couple of cracking birdie pics. :clap:
Thanks Dood.

Topical - a nice take on the theme, a good clean sharp image.
The Living World - I also prefer the second bird image for the same reasons, nice exposure and the sharpness is better.
cheers another three months of Europe oh dear

Topical great take on the theme and I like your take on Brussels loll
The living world 2 very nice pictures but No2 for me love the colours and the yellow round the eye (y)
bit of a send up of brussels, thanks for comments,

2nd one for me too Walter, although the Robin is nice enough you seem to have missed the focus a little.
So the Blackbird for me (y)
yes robin is slightly OF

Two lovely close shots of the birds, and I'll join the crowd in preferring the second one for the feather details, the eye and the bright yellow around it. A nice, sharp photo and the brown leaf under the bird's feet is a nice bonus :)
cheers MM

#1 for me. A little soft, but nice reds and low POV.

Cheers.
thanks for comment.

Hi Walter - both great captures of birds. I like the orientation of the bird and the detail in the second but who doesn't love a good robin shot :) Nice takes and definitely on theme!
cheers

Camo - like it but a tad dark - would like to see some extra exposure to lighten it up a bit :)

Danger(ous) - Brave more like ;) :D

Topical - Interesting and creative composition - can imagine it took a bit of work to produce !

Living World - 2 nice images - who doesnt like a Robin ? ( :D ;0 :p) the second pips it for me for the DOF and BG
Thanks,

Hi Walter - Now that is a cracking Robin shot, minor crit, I'd be tempted to clone out the white blob on the LH side, other than that I'd love to get one as good as that in my garden, especially that low point of view (y)
point taken about clone, if I edit on computer it wont let me post, so all edits are done on ipad.

2 lovely shots, but i prefer the expression on the blackbird :)
it was a different position that I liked the tilt forward,

Sorry bit of a catch up on comments

Abandoned - good find for the theme
Camouflage - I like the gheko. Interesting composition nicely put together
Danger - The Witch is fun but the I like woody woodpecker best.
Topical - right on theme
Living World - The robin is lovely but I like the blackbird shot better good Dof with the bird nice and sharp
thank you, enjoyed the witch other half still doesn't no...he....he

Living world....I love Robins, but it has to be the Blackbird for me. That eye really pops.
Gathering bits for his nest maybe?
cheers viv

This first shot was not far off what I was after, it was spikey leaf in holder in LB, with three 60w lights, and a torch to create lightness on the left, (didn't quite work)then PP'd
image.jpeg
I was happier with this shot, instead of warm WB I went with cold,
image.jpeg
C&C welcome

Last edited:
The second one for me Walter, really like the colour and the simplicity.

Love the second one, clean, simple, I like the processing and the sharp shadows suit the theme.

Yes, second one for me too - it looks less manufactured than the other and I quite like the colour too.

Second one for me too, Walter. I like the composition and choice of lighting. It works really well. I'll be honest and say I'm less of a fan of the processing but that's more of a personal thing (and more easily changed after the event)... the key thing is to capture the image you want and yours is a cracker!

HI Walter I prefer No 2 for its simplicity and the colour also I think the shadow adds more depth to the image.

Back