What will be your next photography related purchase? Or what photography gear do you lust after?

This tripod is good. It'll take the mass of a 645z and 28-45 which is trust me, heavy. D810 and 70-200 2.8 and 200-500 5.6 are no issue for that tripod either. Unless you shoot the really big long primes, this tripod is great. Heavy enough for landscape duty not not so heavy you cannot carry it long distances.

Thanks for confirming! I may also consider the carbon fibre model if I can find it used for a reasonable price. It will be paired with a Fuji X-T4 and at most the XF 100-400 in the future which based on what you are telling me should be handled quite easily. I have been fretting about the 190 or the 055 but your feedback has definitively settled it for the 190 now. Will also be lighter for travel and trekking which is always nice.

Cant wait until I can access the classifieds here!

#metoo

:ROFLMAO:
That's my justification too. My missus still doesn't understand two equals one :p

:ROFLMAO: Parcelforce are delivering them between 3 and 4pm today and we both work from home, so there may be a 'conversation' later, followed by lots of eye rolling :giggle:

:ROFLMAO: Parcelforce are delivering them between 3 and 4pm today and we both work from home, so there may be a 'conversation' later, followed by lots of eye rolling :giggle:
Got mine delivered this morning in a massive box.
Missus picked it up.

Missus: what's in this massive box
Me: camera bag
Missus: why?
Me: to carry my 200-600mm lens
Missus: you bought a bag for it last week
Me: yeah but I sold a bag too in return.
Then I ran to my room with the big box
I hope she hasn't worked out 2 doesn't equal one :p

My birthday present to me arrived yesterday. Signed copy of Brian Griffin's "Black Country DaDa"

Also kickstartered a Marilyn Stafford book.

To be fair, all joking aside, my Missus doesnt really mind what I buy with my own money, just as its no business of mine what she buys. My Wife is one of those 'Equestrian' types that spends far too much (imho) on things that she needs to help her with her passion. She spent nearly £300 on a show jacket a couple of months back o_O If that was for the horse I could understand it, but it wasnt!

So, we just buy things and 'tsk' at each other occasionally. Still, hoping for one big box instead of two, or thats double 'Tsk'...ing :giggle:

Thanks for confirming! I may also consider the carbon fibre model if I can find it used for a reasonable price. It will be paired with a Fuji X-T4 and at most the XF 100-400 in the future which based on what you are telling me should be handled quite easily. I have been fretting about the 190 or the 055 but your feedback has definitively settled it for the 190 now. Will also be lighter for travel and trekking which is always nice.

Cant wait until I can access the classifieds here!

055's are amazing but really heavy - and overkill for Fuji X-T4 and XF 100-400 - barely comes to 2kg - and the 100-400 has a tripod collar which will spread the mass. Unless you are out there with super mental 50mph plus winds you will be totally fine. Maybe then you'd want the 055. If you shoot shorter lenses and lighter then 190 is probably overspec....

Folk said to me when I got the 645z the 190 wouldn't cope and it's been out in 30sec exposures and been razor tack sharp and it's a huge leviathan of a camera.

I got mine off amazon and it's rated to take 7kg or something daft. The 3 way Xpro head is also ace. I love it.

Last edited:
Following up on my earlier post on the 190XPRO, I ended up going for the Vandguard Veo 3+ 263CB, this is the carbon fibre and ball head model. I got it for considerably cheaper than the Manfrotto (£225 delivered) although I concede it is not compact by any stretch (76 cm).

As I always carry a loaded backpack or two even before starting photography neither the weight nor the dimensions are much of a bother if I’m honest. I will find out tomorrow how to attach it to my backpack and off we go.

I keep looking at the Wotancraft Ryker and I've nearly bought one soooo many times in the last few days (they've apparently been discontinued) but then I look at my Billingham Hadley Pro Small and I think that's actually a better looking bag and better for me to use.

I keep looking at the Wotancraft Ryker and I've nearly bought one soooo many times in the last few days (they've apparently been discontinued) but then I look at my Billingham Hadley Pro Small and I think that's actually a better looking bag and better for me to use.

I just don't get why people want to spend that kind of money on a small bag.
something like peak design sling is better designed, made from recycled materials, durable, doesn't break your bank etc.

Last edited:
I just don't get why people want to spend that kind of money on a small bag.
something like peak design sling is better designed, made from recycled materials, durable, doesn't break your bank etc.

Sometimes because they look nice and sometimes because they might be better made and last longer. The Billingham also possibly has advantages in bad weather and I don't need to undo a zip or stud to get the camera in and out. I don't know if a leather Ryker could stand the abuse a Billingham could but it's nice that these things exist as an alternative to some of the more (arguably) styleless purely functional black/grey alternatives that some may derive zero pleasure from owning.

David Thorpe on the Ryker.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6u_fOcalQw&list=PL754C3AAF38017475&index=20

Lok with Billinghams...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDAX3zZitLk

Last edited:
Sometimes because they look nice and sometimes because they might be better made and last longer. The Billingham also possibly has advantages in bad weather and I don't need to undo a zip or stud to get the camera in and out. I don't know if a leather Ryker could stand the abuse a Billingham could but it's nice that these things exist as an alternative to some of the more (arguably) styleless purely functional black/grey alternatives that some may derive zero pleasure from owning.

David Thorpe on the Ryker.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6u_fOcalQw&list=PL754C3AAF38017475&index=20

Lok with Billinghams...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDAX3zZitLk

Still don't get it....
I'd even say the billingham doesn't look stylish to me, quite the opposite IME.

Last edited:
Clearly thought has gone into not just how the Billingham functions and longevity but also how it looks whereas something like the Peak Sling looks completely anonymous to me, although that may be a good thing, but I can't imagine actually wanting one, but choice is good.

Clearly thought has gone into not just how the Billingham functions and longevity but also how it looks whereas something like the Peak Sling looks completely anonymous to me, although that may be a good thing, but I can't imagine actually wanting one, but choice is good.

Actually I find peak design stuff more stylish than some of the billingham bags. May be I just lack taste in bags and accessories (wouldn't be surprising :p )
But regardless I wouldn't buy either based on style or looks or anything superficial. I am a very ultilitarian kinda person.

I’ve seen a lot of people say how ‘Stylish’ the Peak Design sling is, but that’s isn’t why I bought one. I’m sure there are far more stylish choices. Functionality was key for me, which is generally what I always go for before style when choosing such things. Whatever works for you right?

Actually I find peak design stuff more stylish than some of the billingham bags. May be I just lack taste in bags and accessories (wouldn't be surprising :p )
But regardless I wouldn't buy either based on style or looks or anything superficial. I am a very ultilitarian kinda person.

The ideal would be something that'll be practical, good looking and last although I do think that being anonymous can be a good thing too but having said that no one has ever given either of my Billingham's a second look. I do like the way that they can be used without having to use a zip or stud.

I have a Hadley Small in my filling cabinet for one of my Sony's and my others are in Peak Design sling bags and I have a good cheap small bag that I use too plus the PD straps and wrist straps.

Alan, those look more like my wife's handbag than my wife's handbag. :oops: :$ :ROFLMAO:

I’m currently lusting after a olympus 300f4 , 12-100f4 60mm Macro and another 40-150 2.8 . all for nature photography which is weird as iv got 2 weddings in august

Last edited:
Grammar copy.jpg

Love my Ryker.

It does not look like a camera bag, big massive plus. It has no real design clue to give it away what's inside, the branding is in the buckle. I like how it isn't popular so most people have no clue, even those into photography, most wouldn't know it's a camera bag. That is what attracted to me with the Ryker. It's not the waterproofing, it's not about ultimate camera protection. It's how discrete it is, and made with good quality materials. The same kind of materials if have a Gucci or LV logo on would add an extra Zero to the price tag.

As for design, it's brown, all leather, it's timeless. It fits in the 1920's as it will in 2020.

Whmu7xh.jpg

Germany

gNf0P6r.jpg

Hong Kong

bzjDgIv.jpg

Last edited:
Love my Ryker.

It does not look like a camera bag, big massive plus. It has no real design clue to give it away what's inside, the branding is in the buckle. I like how it isn't popular so most people have no clue, even those into photography, most wouldn't know it's a camera bag. That is what attracted to me with the Ryker. It's not the waterproofing, it's not about ultimate camera protection. It's how discrete it is, and made with good quality materials. The same kind of materials if have a Gucci or LV logo on would add an extra Zero to the price tag.

you say it like this bag is cheap!
I still don't get it for most part but I do appreciate its discreteness especially for travelling.
but considering the camera is around my next half the time discreteness of the bag doesn't add much in my case.

you say it like this bag is cheap!
I still don't get it for most part but I do appreciate its discreteness especially for travelling.
but considering the camera is around my next half the time discreteness of the bag doesn't add much in my case.

It's not cheap, but buy cheap, buy twice.

For a small bag, this is my ceiling, I would never need another one that size. It's the bag for travelling. It's the bag that looks good and not out of place when you go to some posh restaurant because the missus wants to go. It's not a bag to take to weddings or jobs, it's expensive because it is a luxury item first, utility second. If you are looking at it from a functionality point of view then it would not make sense. I have other bags that does that, my Crumpler does that job just the same and arguably that man-made material is time tested with 10 years of wedding and not a single rip or hole or mark...i leave that on the floor and one time, water even flooded where it was sat!

Still, the crumpler is for work, the Ryker is for holiday and on holiday, i want it to look nice as well as fit my camera.

It's not cheap, but buy cheap, buy twice.

For a small bag, this is my ceiling, I would never need another one that size. It's the bag for travelling. It's the bag that looks good and not out of place when you go to some posh restaurant because the missus wants to go. It's not a bag to take to weddings or jobs, it's expensive because it is a luxury item first, utility second. If you are looking at it from a functionality point of view then it would not make sense. I have other bags that does that, my Crumpler does that job just the same and arguably that man-made material is time tested with 10 years of wedding and not a single rip or hole or mark...i leave that on the floor and one time, water even flooded where it was sat!

Still, the crumpler is for work, the Ryker is for holiday and on holiday, i want it to look nice as well as fit my camera.

For example I had a tenba cooper 13 slim, which looked very nice, worked just as well and would probably take more abuse than the ryker.
So I don't really buy into the "buy cheaper, buy twice" when the bag costs many times more and more along lines of a luxury item.
It'd be like buying a Leica and then saying "buy cheap, buy twice". Its not like I'll have to buy twice as many A7 or R5 or any bodies even though one could for cost of a leica body.
May be leather is expensive in general but I do not understand why it needs to be this expensive.

For example I had a tenba cooper 13 slim, which looked very nice, worked just as well and would probably take more abuse than the ryker.
So I don't really buy into the "buy cheaper, buy twice" when the bag costs many times more and more along lines of a luxury item.
It'd be like buying a Leica and then saying "buy cheap, buy twice". Its not like I'll have to buy twice as many A7 or R5 or any bodies even though one could for cost of a leica body.
May be leather is expensive in general but I do not understand why it needs to be this expensive.

Because leather is expensive. That Tenba is £140 for the slim and £176 for the one in Amazon. The Ryker, when i got it was 330 euros, i think at the time it converted to about £290 thereabouts. Twice the Tenba. It's completely different materials, it's not the same as a Leica where it uses the same materials as a Sony or Canon. It's a £120 more and it is a nicer bag. If you look at it in person, i am sure you will appreciate it.

I mean, how much is a leather jacket? And how much is a Nylon Jacket?

I think you still am not appreciating the different angle, one is a luxury item, the other is more a utilitarian item. As an luxury item, it can charge whatever it wants. Who pays £300 for a Herme leather cover for their Airtags? when you can get a rubber one for £5?

Last edited:
Because leather is expensive. That Tenba is £140 for the slim and £176 for the one in Amazon. The Ryker, when i got it was 330 euros, i think at the time it converted to about £290 thereabouts. Twice the Tenba. It's completely different materials, it's not the same as a Leica where it uses the same materials as a Sony or Canon. It's a £120 more and it is a nicer bag. If you look at it in person, i am sure you will appreciate it.

I mean, how much is a leather jacket? And how much is a Nylon Jacket?

yes I acknowledge the material is expensive.
For £250-ish I'd probably buy one myself. but I don't think you can get it at that price now. even if i could get it for €330 with import tax now it'll be a lot more expensive.
so I guess my impression on its price and yours is very difference.

yes I acknowledge the material is expensive.
For £250-ish I'd probably buy one myself. but I don't think you can get it at that price now. even if i could get it for €330 with import tax now it'll be a lot more expensive.
so I guess my impression on its price and yours is very difference.

It's not the price, it's the perceived value. I acknowledge that it is expensive but I perceive it as good value too. As well as what section of the market it is aiming at. It's not trying to compete with the £100 bag market or the Thinktank bags market. It uses different materials to those and aiming for people who aren't looking at a Tenba or Peak Design.

Mine came from a EU distributor before Brexit so it was £290 or so landed at my door.

Last edited:
It's not the price, it's the perceived value. I acknowledge that it is expensive but I perceive it as good value too. As well as what section of the market it is aiming at. It's not trying to compete with the £100 bag market or the Thinktank bags market. It uses different materials to those and aiming for people who aren't looking at a Tenba or Peak Design.

Mine came from a EU distributor before Brexit so it was £290 or so landed at my door.

peak design is quite expensive too tbh. they have a different philosophy of using recycled materials etc.
I guess I am not the target market for the ryker but if one did show up for a decent price I'd think about it. but what are the chances of that now :p

peak design is quite expensive too tbh. they have a different philosophy of using recycled materials etc.
I guess I am not the target market for the ryker but if one did show up for a decent price I'd think about it. but what are the chances of that now :p

I tell you something, you can fit quite a lot in there. 1 lens on the body and 2 loose.

H0LcWv9.jpg

Although i normally just do this.

mzCX0jA.jpg

This is where the logo is.

ow17Zb2.jpg

Or the back against your body, which nobody sees.

IVmSafA.jpg

Last edited:
Love my Ryker.

As for design, it's brown, all leather, it's timeless. It fits in the 1920's as it will in 2020.

Whmu7xh.jpg

Germany

gNf0P6r.jpg

Hong Kong

bzjDgIv.jpg

That is one class bag, just been Googling it and sounds a belter of a bag. As I already have to many bags most PD ones, I don't think I'd get a Ryker... Yet

I tell you something, you can fit quite a lot in there. 1 lens on the body and 2 loose.

H0LcWv9.jpg

Although i normally just do this.

mzCX0jA.jpg

This is where the logo is.

ow17Zb2.jpg

Or the back against your body, which nobody sees.

IVmSafA.jpg

that's ideal for travel... 17-28/2.8, 28-200mm and a small prime.... may even 35GM.
so you have the small or the medium version of the bag??

Last edited:
that's ideal for travel... 17-28/2.8, 28-200mm and a small prime.... may even 35GM.
so you have the small or the medium version of the bag??

I have the larger version.

Looking online, it appears there are slightly variations in them. This review lacks the leather strap across the front that tucks in the flap. You can just about see in the 2nd photo above.

Back