weekly WMD's 52 for 2016 - Weeks 43, 44, 45 & 46 all added!

Love the Pair image....

Ancient inspires the image of aknight in shining armour, so job done there too....

Reactions: WMD
Great catch-up Matt, well done. All excellent but my faves are Ancient and Urban. Fabulous colours and framing with the first and super details in the latter.

Good catch up Matt, I'm a little unconvinced by the sky in ancient but good for the theme. B&W is well seen with plenty of monochrome contrast. Urban has well controlled lights and makes a good nighttime subject. Pair is well seen and nicely framed by the leaves

Not sure what pp you did on ancient, but the scene through the arch looks like a painting. Very pretty although as Chris said the sky doesn't look quite right for the light on the grass? The textures and tones in black and white are great!

Hi Matt,
If the car is going over a crest, that explains the difference in blur from front to back, I have very similar issues taking pictures of forest rallies. I can cope with the horizontal movement, but not with vertical movement at the same time.

B&W - Not the most inspiring shot, but on theme.
Ancient - I think that works - nice use of the arched doorway to frame the garden.
It feels like it may need a little more black in the shadows / darkening of the mid tones, but that's just me.
Urban - Blimey, another clock in my mammoth comment catchup. I can't help feeling it's a bit hazy, maybe something for CC's de-haze tool (I don't have CC...)
Pair - That's a lucky find / great find, it can't happen all that often. Excellent framing through the foliage. :clap:

Nice catch up Matt, I really like the low light shot of the clock tower

Good catch up Matt, I'm a little unconvinced by the sky in ancient but good for the theme. B&W is well seen with plenty of monochrome contrast. Urban has well controlled lights and makes a good nighttime subject. Pair is well seen and nicely framed by the leaves

Not sure what pp you did on ancient, but the scene through the arch looks like a painting. Very pretty although as Chris said the sky doesn't look quite right for the light on the grass? The textures and tones in black and white are great!

Yes - you're right, good spot guys!
I did indeed swap out the sky in this shot - it was against a plain, white, featureless sky, so I swapped it out with something a little more interesting. But yes, the rest of the scene doesn't quite tally up with the replaced sky! I guess the benefit of the white sky is a flat, evenly lit scene - which wouldn't be the case in the dusk sky I substituted in place. Good spot guys! :pompous:;)

Hi Matt,
If the car is going over a crest, that explains the difference in blur from front to back, I have very similar issues taking pictures of forest rallies. I can cope with the horizontal movement, but not with vertical movement at the same time.

B&W - Not the most inspiring shot, but on theme.
Ancient - I think that works - nice use of the arched doorway to frame the garden.
It feels like it may need a little more black in the shadows / darkening of the mid tones, but that's just me.
Urban - Blimey, another clock in my mammoth comment catchup. I can't help feeling it's a bit hazy, maybe something for CC's de-haze tool (I don't have CC...)
Pair - That's a lucky find / great find, it can't happen all that often. Excellent framing through the foliage. :clap:

Thanks Tim!
Urban - yeah, it's actually an HDR shot, which I guess is contributing to the haze you're referring to. It's probably correctable in PP, but I kinda like it as is. Not crazy about the halo / ghosting around the lamp though!

Thanks for the feedback everybody! :)

Well done with the catch up Matt...love the black and white abstract, and then the total contrast in Ancient .... it definitely looks like an artwork, really nicely framed up.

Great shot of the clock ...it really does have a lovely olde worldly glow about it, another good choice in the pigeons, too, nice framing on that one, well spotted.

Hi Matt,
serene - well captured, the whole scene has an eerie feel to it
B&W - I like that very much, great composition, and great timing that you got the shadow parallel to the yellow (?) lines!
ancient - looks a bit over processed to me, but fits the brief
urban - well composed you got the exposure just right
pair - well caught and nicely framed by the leaves in the foreground

Didn't want to fall behind again before I'm off on travels, so here's BIG.
39/52 - BIG (Mersey View, Helsby) by Matt, on Flickr

After being stuck on the M56 (again), I decided to come off and head up to the monument at the top of the BIG hill that neighbours the M56. After driving past it for years, I've always wondered what the view was like up there - it didn't disappoint. I tried desperately to get up top for the sunset, but was a little late (traffic!) Lots of BIG clouds that evening, and those BIG wind turbines are impressive.
Taken on my S7 Edge - BIG Panoramic photo mode.

Will catch up with everyone else's threads too! :)
Cheers everybody

Last edited:
Hi Matt. Sometimes we miss out on things because we're averse to deviating from routine. Good example - wonderful panoramic view and a beautiful sky at dusk into the bargain., Certainly Big.

Miles of beach really shows how Big the area is, tide out and miles of beach.

Works and is right on theme. Maybe a tad underexposed?

Back from travels and catching up with my 52 - doesn't take long to drop behind does it?!

Here's After:
40/52 - After (the sun goes down) by Matt, on Flickr

For the first time in ages, I didn't bring a camera with me on this trip. I guess that shows you just how capable phone cameras have gotten these days.
This was taken on our last evening in Kos, Greece - after a great day spent lounging on the beach. The sunsets were beautiful (although actually set on the other side of the island) - lovely warm gradients in the sky etc.
Looking at the photos now (afterwards), certainly makes you appreciate a bit of warm sunshine - it's freezing here today! Winter is indeed coming. :(

Cheers everybody!

Love it, Matt....I have a real soft spot for stone stack pics.

After is an alluringly simple and effective image, all the better considering a phone captured it.

Blooming good for a phone shot - like all the different colours in the stack and surrounds.

^^ Thanks everyone!

Here's Alien:
41/52 - Alien (Infrared Landscape) by Matt, on Flickr

The theme stumped me a little at first - then I came up with the idea of dabbling in some (faux) Infra-red photography, which results in some pretty cool landscapes. The idea being that it might look like an alien landscape / a different planet etc. After a few shots taken on my phone - I dusted off my old X100s for this week. I love this camera!

Catch up continues... :)

The (faux) Infra-red really messes with your head, very strange

After, wouldn't have guessed it was a camera phone pic, really good detail on the stones

It certainly does look an Alien landscape - those pink/purple fields look beautiful as do those shrubs in the fg.

A pink landscape what's not to like? :D
Nicely thought out Matt.

Yes, good detail on the stones.

And I really like Alien ... what fun.

Great idea, very unusual... very alien.

Hi Matt,
After - Some great detail in the pebbles, pretty impressive for a phone. The sky is blown though, so maybe not the DR of a Sony ;)
Alien - Oooh, Red Weed. You'll have @viv1969 reaching for the CD again! You've got some really great colours in that shot.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Here's my shot for Liquid - wanted to try something a little different this time around. I wanted to replicate a photo I saw randomly on the interwebs, which showed sea / crashing waves within a teacup. It was actually more difficult to reproduce than I thought - not entirely convinced by this attempt either, but I enjoyed the messing about with masks, blending layers etc. So it was a good learning experience.

Here it is:
42/52 - Storm in a teacup (Liquid) by Matt, on Flickr

Once I've caught up again, I will endeavour to catch up with everyone else's threads too. Cheers! :)

Back