Yamaha RD250F & Francis Barnet 250

LC2

Negan
Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Back from the dead after spending a bit over 20 years in the back of my garage, my first 'proper' bike after passing my test.
The Hooligan Coffin Tank Yamaha RD250F

50 miles into the 1000 it needs to run it in after being put back on the road.
Not a nut and bolt restoration, but a proper rebuild keeping it as original as possible.

The backstreets of Hampshire were treated to two 2-Strokes bimbling about (the Franny B is a 250 2-stroke too, but about 20 years older).

Shot with an Instax Mini Evo, so not the greatest quality files and no viewfinder, but I think they've come out alright.

Yamaha RD250F / Francis Barnet 250 by Tim White, on Flickr

Cool.
My brother had a Francis Barnet 250, Villiers 2T engine if I remember. He went through the hedge with it and wrote it off. Fortunately he was ok.

Reactions: LC2
Nice RD - many of my mates had them, and the F was the fastest IIRC before the LC appeared - they did wear out quickly if you thrashed them from cold. More like 40-45 years ago though.

;)

Had a Kawasaki S1b myself.
:cool:

Nice RD - many of my mates had them, and the F was the fastest IIRC before the LC appeared - they did wear out quickly if you thrashed them from cold. More like 40-45 years ago though.

;)

Had a Kawasaki S1b myself.
:cool:
I had 3 of these F, E & DX through my hands, only kept this one though (shame really).
Also a couple of LCs (still got the RD 350 F).

The 250 was used as it was designed to be - at the upper end of the rev range. I think this rebuild is the 3rd set of pistons I've put in it (not sure how much further it can be bored - it's at 274 at the mo (DT pistons)). 54000 miles on it.
The 350 on the other hand has been mollycoddled, and only has 15k on it.

Half of the local classic bike club seem to ride either modern Triumphs or Royal Enfields!

Not really a stinkwheel fan but could be tempted by that Fanny B.

Reactions: LC2
A proper hooligan two stroke ! I can remember these bike were very customized as were the later 250/350 LC Expansions were a must ! Lovely photos of a real classic to anyone who lived through the true biker years of the 1970's and 80s. Your Instax Mini Evo has done a fine job.

Last edited:
Reactions: zx9
A proper hooligan two stroke ! I can remember these bike were very customized as were the later 250/350 LC Expansions were a must ! Lovely photos of a real classic to anyone who lived through the true biker years of the 1970's and 80s. Your Instax Mini Evo has done a fine job.
Problem with spannies is that you have to lose the centre stand, which makes maintenance harder (unless you have stands).
My LC (well F1) still has the original pipes too.

Back from the dead after spending a bit over 20 years in the back of my garage, my first 'proper' bike after passing my test.
The Hooligan Coffin Tank Yamaha RD250F

50 miles into the 1000 it needs to run it in after being put back on the road.
Not a nut and bolt restoration, but a proper rebuild keeping it as original as possible.

The backstreets of Hampshire were treated to two 2-Strokes bimbling about (the Franny B is a 250 2-stroke too, but about 20 years older).

Shot with an Instax Mini Evo, so not the greatest quality files and no viewfinder, but I think they've come out alright.

Blast from my past, had a RD250 then a 350 both in yellow.

Back