weekly mtjhome's 52 Photos for 2012 - BUSY added. Hooray! - Made it to the end!!

dark - love it :clap: the reflection is fab :)

As has been said this is a nice shot and good use of reflections. You could have also cropped to have just the boats for the theme but I actually prefer the full image.

Week 33 Time

IMG_1665as.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Mike

Contrast - Now I really like that, what a great idea, well set up and taken :clap:

Mineral - Fe203... too smart for me, had to google that :D
Nice image, great colours and liking the background myself

Dark - Liking the reflections in the water and the colours still coming through

Time - For me the yellow seems to overpower the daintiness of the dandelion, not sure if flipping the pic would help so as to read the pic left to right, or am I talking boiiocks :help:

I like this shot but I'm confused as to how it fits the theme.
Is it sort of 'time of year' or 'short-lived' or just that it looks like a clock?

:bang: And just as I wrote the word CLOCK, the penny dropped!!

God, what a nerd! Obviously lived in Spain too long!

Of course, dandelion clock!! The 'soft ball of white seeds that grows on the dandelion plant'

I could still edit but it may cause a giggle so I'll leave it!

I like the composition of the shot not sure wether the yellow flowers add to it or not I have to say they do as my initial thought on first view was it was a good pic really impressed with the sharpness :clap:

oh that's perfect! I think the yellow sets it off. I did try to get one myself but my efforts were rubbish!

Many thanks to all for the Time comments.
I agree with the fact the yellow is a bit too much despite the fact I had reduced the saturation in PP. Also the composition isn't quite right. I tried playing around with both in PS but couldn't come up with anything that really worked or at least was a real improvement, so decided to just leave things as they were.
Obviously composition is something that rally needs to be sorted out at the time of taking the shot. But by way of an excuse, this shot was very much an in the field (literally) and in situ so I just had to make the most of what I found.
The pic was taken whilst on a walk in the country with "Time time time..." buzzing away in the back of my mind. Taken by the way with my S95 P&S - a camera which continues to amaze me. I find my 500D is left at home all the time now -it always seems to be my 'big' camera (5D) or my 'little' camera (S95) and that tends to come with me wherever I go.

Last edited:
Hi

Why not take part in our annual TP Day coming up soon 9th September,as part of your 52, Where you take a photo on that day and post it on the forum, then all the Photos are made into a slideshow, Click the logo for more details, it's lots of fun to be a part of it(y)

Sorry it's brief - I'm lagging behind again! :(

Dark - Definitely is dark! I feel like there's not enough highlights on the boats on the right though so they're a little lost - I want to see more of them and am struggling to do so. The moon over the water is lovely though, did you try any portrait shots of just that?
Time - Wonderful interpretation of the theme and a nicey framed shot. Detail on the dandelion is fab. Like others I agree about the yellow flowers though.

finally found it...saw your time image when you posted it but forgot to comment :bang: Love it , great focus , great detail in the head & a fab image for the theme .....no crit just a big (y) from me

Hi Mike, I really like this too, the yellow flowers in the background are bright but not too distracting.

I'll be REALLY picky and say there's a teeny tiny white flower or something on the bottom left edge of the shot, I would clone that out to satisfy my OCD!

OCD - he he

Sorry it's brief - I'm lagging behind again! :(

Dark - Definitely is dark! I feel like there's not enough highlights on the boats on the right though so they're a little lost - I want to see more of them and am struggling to do so. The moon over the water is lovely though, did you try any portrait shots of just that?
Time - Wonderful interpretation of the theme and a nicey framed shot. Detail on the dandelion is fab. Like others I agree about the yellow flowers though.
Dark shot was opportunistic and handheld - so was lucky to get a half decent shot at all! - But yes indeed portrait might have worked well.

I take all the yellow flowers comments on the chin - but have played around with the saturation and always seemed to get back to the same place. For me the yellow flowers are an important part of the pic because of the context they provide.

All the best - and genuine thanks all for the comments - Mike

looks a lil bit like one of the Judges?? maybe Anderson?

hope I'm not being cheeky but I would have liked to see the girl to the left without her top showing - a bare shoulder would (I think) have set the shot off really well :clap:

Mike I am going to go against the flow here and say I like the yellow flowers in your time image. They add depth to the scene and act as a contrast against the pale, almost monochrome dandelion clock.
Technically very good too, the dandelion is very sharp against the softer background. Good work (y)

I like your submission for this weeks theme. The subject suits the monochrome treatment, I particularly like the contrasty feel to the image.
Again, good work, bang on theme (y)

looks a lil bit like one of the Judges?? maybe Anderson?
????

hope I'm not being cheeky but I would have liked to see the girl to the left without her top showing - a bare shoulder would (I think) have set the shot off really well :clap:
Thanks summer. I know what you mean - point well made, but to be honest this was a pretty challenging shoot for me and I'm pretty pleased with the reult. Maybe you prefer one of the other candidates?
This or this??

Judge Anderson - 2000AD - if you don't know then obv it isn't lol :p

anyway I still like the one you posted here best - ain't nothing wrong with it :) I was just supposing to myself.

info about judges here

I like it but I dont think the lady adds anything to it the tatt with just the hands would in my view would be better

Hi Mike, so is this your torso? Some pretty intense art work there! I like the shot with the lady in view, my only crit is her left thumb, it looks odd as it has been missed/ cropped from the shot so it looks like her thumb is very long or the edge of the body is weird!

What a cracking shot. As a portrait it doesn't win as the face is too dark but that for me helps this image draw the eye towards the tattoo on the body. Nice one.

I'm actually not bowled over by this one :( As others have said the face on the left is too dark but, more importantly for me, the B&W treatment has brought out every little imperfection in the skin, and that irks me. There's something about the face on the tattoo as well - not sure if it's the angle or the skin is stretched but it looks odd to me. The B&W treatment has also brought out a lot of imperfections on the girls' hands - specifically their nails. I can't help but think that a different B&W (maybe something with a colour filter or with modified contrast) would really lift the image up.

That said, I do love the composition - very well thought out - and I think B&W does work here. The subject matter is bang on theme but you've given it a twist (a body on a body with another body).

I'm actually not bowled over by this one :( As others have said the face on the left is too dark but, more importantly for me, the B&W treatment has brought out every little imperfection in the skin, and that irks me. There's something about the face on the tattoo as well - not sure if it's the angle or the skin is stretched but it looks odd to me. The B&W treatment has also brought out a lot of imperfections on the girls' hands - specifically their nails. I can't help but think that a different B&W (maybe something with a colour filter or with modified contrast) would really lift the image up.
Thanks for the comments Vicky. Great to get some pointers for improvement. I always wanted to do this as a high contrast B&W, but found to my cost that B&W conversion is not as easy as it sounds. Your observation about the imperfections on the skin is very perceptive. I was told about that by the model, but I thought I would get away with it! Back to LR it is for me then for another attempt.

Liquid - I set off to photograph kayak-ers playing in the white water at Mill End weir. Unfortunately there weren't any. This was the best I could come up with. Nevertheless ithe 52 challenge served its purpose - it forced me outside on a positively iffy day - combining my hobbies of mountain biking and photography. Other (rejected) candidates here and here.

A nice attempt but I think its been really hard this weekend to get pics like this because the weather has been so dull so the water has little light reflection which might make it more vibrant.

Back