weekly Superpippo's 52 in 2013 Weeks 50,51 and 52, Fantasy, Fit and Water added - P&BD and Finished

I think that works really well because of the people watching from the pier, nicely spotted :clap:

Thanks Allan. Waited for some time for that to happen and was partic happy with the age diff between those on pier and those below.

yeah - I really like this too - the bands of colours doing it for me, the sand, the rusty ironwork, green, cream and the blue of the sky (y)

Did you try any with a lower viewpoint, (purely to meet the theme even more than it already does?)

Thanks Graham. I started with shots low down below the pier but this effort was better , partic with regards to exposure

Excellent. (y)

Love the simple blocks of colour and the people in the pier and below giving it scale and meaning. Absolutely spot on!

Cheers Brian

Hey Alan :)

Below - Love the lines of the pier leading into the picture, good colours, shame you didn't have a perfect sky too, but still a cracking image (y)

Thanks DK. It was a bit late in the day and the sky was a bit hazy. Fiddled it as best I could :)

The people watching from the pier make this for me.

Cheers Mark - yep those on the pier were the key to the shot

Hi Alan

Below if full of positives for me.....lovely blacks , perfect whites , blue sky , people on the beach to give a true sense of scale ,well placed across the frame & right on theme (y)

Kind comments Lynne - and thanks for taking the time after what appears to have been an eventful weekend, judging from the Cumbria thread.:(

Week 23 - Size

Well, not been around for a few weeks because we have been very busy helping to fit a new kitchen for our daughter and partner pending the birth of their son and our first grandson. Just to complicate matters the father was taken off part way thro with acute appendicitis :eek: and he is the plasterer :(. And as they live 50 miles away the going has been tough. Then 2 weeks before the anticipated birth, a scan indicated that the baby was in breech position and a caesarean section was necessary - so we have seen a lot of hospital wards recently:)

Well at less than 24 hours old, this may not be the greatest shot but i think that it fits the theme :D - and I might as well take some payback from the little blighter.

C&C welcome - or you can just say "aaaah" :)

P1030852 - Copy by Superpippo0547, on Flickr

Last edited:
aaaah........ congratulations to your daughter and her partner and it fits the theme too (y)

The colours and comp in movement really make it for me. Has a lovely warm feel, and so typically English. I can't help but follow the pier along until it leave the frame... Nice!

Size - Ahhh!:)

A lovely shot, and on theme too. Congratulations!

The colours and comp in movement really make it for me. Has a lovely warm feel, and so typically English. I can't help but follow the pier along until it leave the frame... Nice!

Size - Ahhh!:)

A lovely shot, and on theme too. Congratulations!

Thanks Nick

He's got more bloomin' hair than me :D

Congratulations (y)

Yes he has an astonishng amount of hair ! More than me too :D

Congrats grandad Alan..... nice shot.really like the inclusion of the finger. Looks a healthy chap with lovely pinky skin.

Is the kitchen finished though?? :LOL:

Last edited:
Congrats to you Grandad (y) & to your daughter & partner on their new arrival (y)

Is the kitchen finished though?? :LOL:

Certainly was :) Officially opened by daughter by stripping away the protective blue film over the units on the night before she went in for the op (I did sneak a few handles on whilst she was in hospital:D)

We are starting up a business "sixmonths.onekitchen.disorg" - orders being taken for 2015

Congrats to you Grandad (y) & to your daughter & partner on their new arrival (y)

Thanks Lynne

Size - Awwweeee bless.. congrats, looks like you have been through a rough few weeks and that face of innocence finishes it off nice (y)

Process - Oooo I really like that mate... they must of been a bugger to stick back into whole tomatoes :D

That's a cracking image, I really like the lighting and I didn't notice the can until you said :)

First up Alan, many congratulations Grandpa :D

Size, bang on theme (y)
I like the fact you've filled the frame with the little fella, no distractions, the viewers eye is drawn to your grandson. The inclusion of your finger helps the composition along too.

Process, as Brian said above, could easily be a product shot.
I like the lighting, colours and composition. You mentioned about the rhs but I dont think it detracts any, in fact if you hadn't said, I wouldnt have noticed.

Good luck with your continued catch up.

process works well nice reds and a nice touch with the lid can't really fault it (y)

Great shots Alan, congratulations on the birth of your grandson. Here's to many more photos of the little fella.

Process, great comp and lighting, maybe I'd have turned the can round slightly so all the wording is visible. Just my opinion though.

Almost caught up now, keep going.

Brilliant idea and execution here for process. colours, lighting, shouldn't have mentioned the RHS of the can - I still can't really see it... the focus is all on the tomatoes themselves for me, with the can and the pulled lid completing the image, base of the can maybe lacking a bit of shadow to anchor it but apart from that... (y)

The red against the white background really pops. The can adds interest and the lid is a nice touch, but the lack of shadow makes it look a bit floaty or stuck on... which bothers me a bit for some reason that I don't understand.

Hi, Alan, well composed, nice reds and clean BG,mif which I'm a fan.

The opened lid on the can works well.

Cheers.

Thanks Andy

Very nice image, it could be a product shot.

Thanks Mark

Size - Awwweeee bless.. congrats, looks like you have been through a rough few weeks and that face of innocence finishes it off nice (y)

Process - Oooo I really like that mate... they must of been a bugger to stick back into whole tomatoes :D

That's a cracking image, I really like the lighting and I didn't notice the can until you said :)

Chheers DK. Quite honestly those tomatoes stuck back a treat when I found the 'Restore' button on PSE :)

First up Alan, many congratulations Grandpa :D

Size, bang on theme (y)
I like the fact you've filled the frame with the little fella, no distractions, the viewers eye is drawn to your grandson. The inclusion of your finger helps the composition along too.

Process, as Brian said above, could easily be a product shot.
I like the lighting, colours and composition. You mentioned about the rhs but I dont think it detracts any, in fact if you hadn't said, I wouldnt have noticed.

Good luck with your continued catch up.

Thanks Iain - appreciate the comments and the support

process works well nice reds and a nice touch with the lid can't really fault it (y)

As always Allan, you are a gent

Great shots Alan, congratulations on the birth of your grandson. Here's to many more photos of the little fella.

Process, great comp and lighting, maybe I'd have turned the can round slightly so all the wording is visible. Just my opinion though.

Almost caught up now, keep going.

Thanks Alison - good point about the lettering on can but I did not want to be too literal - but a matter of taste as you say. Strangely the can caused me more problems than the tomatoes.

Process....great idea, white background makes he red really pop, really sharp and clear :clap:

Thanks Chris

Brilliant idea and execution here for process. colours, lighting, shouldn't have mentioned the RHS of the can - I still can't really see it... the focus is all on the tomatoes themselves for me, with the can and the pulled lid completing the image, base of the can maybe lacking a bit of shadow to anchor it but apart from that... (y)

The red against the white background really pops. The can adds interest and the lid is a nice touch, but the lack of shadow makes it look a bit floaty or stuck on... which bothers me a bit for some reason that I don't understand.

Thanks Graham and Nick - I see the point that you are making about the lack of shadow at the base of the tin and now i am perplexed as to how that happened. Natural light from the side and a bit of fill flash so no real idea as to how the tomatoes have the shadow and not the tin. :thinking:

Really like the process shot. Can i ask how you achieved the white background please?

If i use card i tend to get a horizontal line between the horizontal and vertical sheets

Hi Alan - thanks for comments

I use thin white card or, in this case, a roll of white paper from Tesco about £1.25 for 5m x 420mm. ( a little narrow to be honest so positioning can be a bit of a mare). Unroll it on a table and then curve it up behind the subject and tape to the wall or clamp to a vertical item ( in this case an ironing board:D).

It then has the shape of a shallow 'u', a bit like a ski jump. Thus no joins to bother about

It's a cheap version of this http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/17193/product-photography-studio/

Last edited:
What an absolute corker Alan....... :notworthy:

Brilliant idea combining the two interpretations of rock together, love the dynamite stick effect, the bright colours of teh 'rock' against the 'rocks', and the efforts to get the longer shutter speed to bring out the trails of the fuse burning tops it all off a treat!

(y)

Brilliant idea, nice colours of the rock against the rock, there is just too much rock :LOL:

couldn't be more rock(y)

:clap:

What an absolute corker Alan....... :notworthy:

Brilliant idea combining the two interpretations of rock together, love the dynamite stick effect, the bright colours of teh 'rock' against the 'rocks', and the efforts to get the longer shutter speed to bring out the trails of the fuse burning tops it all off a treat!

(y)

Thanks Graham - i too like the sparkler fuse but a bit hairy in getting it cos it only lasted about 10 seconds and i was not sure of the exposure - and at £1.25 a throw, I would have been loathe to buy more :eek:

Brilliant idea, nice colours of the rock against the rock, there is just too much rock :LOL:

couldn't be more rock(y)

:clap:

Thanks Allan - rocky indeed (y)

Hi Alan - thanks for comments

I use thin white card or, in this case, a roll of white paper from Tesco about £1.25 for 5m x 420mm. ( a little narrow to be honest so positioning can be a bit of a mare). Unroll it on a table and then curve it up behind the subject and tape to the wall or clamp to a vertical item ( in this case an ironing board:D).

It then has the shape of a shallow 'u', a bit like a ski jump. Thus no joins to bother about

It's a cheap version of this http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/17193/product-photography-studio/

Thanks for the info mate. Just tried a white background with my shape shot. (y)

HI matey

two cracking shots for the least 2 weeks....

Process...very much a product shot...spot on in every way for me , lovely red against perfect white , great lighting the open lid just tops it off to perfection.....excellent shot mister :clap:

Rock...brilliant idea & again , really well exectuted...no crit from me just a big (y)

Size: Ahhhhhhh :D

Process, Excellent :clap: - As you said yourself, next time you need a gobo for the can.

Rock is VERY clever, I "wowed" out load at this. Great idea and really well shot & processed. Well done. (y)

Hi Alan :wave:

I tried posting last week but my stupid Wi-Fi keeps failing and as I posted the reply it dropped out, I wasn’t amused! Anyhow, I’ll try again on the PC for safety!

Below, I love everything about this. The four on the balcony looking down at the boy and his mum on the beach. I like the way the pier leads you in to the shot.

Size, awwwww congratulations Grandad :clap: :clap: :clap: What a cute little thing. I bet he’s changed a lot already? Maybe not the best shot like you say, but it’s a great family snap. It’s perfect for the theme; he’s got the blotchy red skin of being freshly aired to the world and his tiny (but very long) thumb nail poking through. I hope mum and dad are both recovering well from their respective ops.

Process, yup, it could be a product shot, but I would turn the can so you could see all the writing instead of hopped matoes :bonk: Lovely colours though against the nice white background (y)

To the other Alan (ams 99) the background is called an infinity curve, I use an A3 sheet of card from Hobbycraft!

Rock, love it, very colourful and imaginative :clap:

Cheers.

Back