weekly John's 2012 52 - Week 51/52 - Time/Fun (27th Dec) Finished !

Well... spose I'd better get my stick in the ground as it were... As for "The Future" it's certainly got the creative gears agrinding...

Best of luck with this challenge into the new year (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

what are 09'ers :thinking:

thanks Stan :)

It's not a rumour :eek::eek: :shake:

I'm in too

Good Luck jean and John xx

Ah but there are 12 new ones :) Grunge might not see the light of day :D

(There's a phrase I'd never seen myself using :D)

It might not but odds are it will, still it's not week 1. Not shot mine yet but I know why I'm going to do. Just need to mange to translate idea into image :confused:

Well... I've got something shot... as expected, I couldn't take my imaginings and turn them into an image... so it's poor... I shall hold off on posting it as yet though, in case I manage to get a chance to reshoot it and do a better job of it.

I'm not going to get time to redo this, and it's nowhere near what I imagined it to be... so off to a great start with a failure... ok, I got something... but..

IMG_2612.jpg

1) The exposure is wrong, the white paper is grey
2) The exposure is wrong, the flute has blown highlights
3) I can't write and should have typed it all
4) I should have included the snout of my one L

On the plus side... the DOF is just what I wanted, with near in focus, blurring off into the distance (It may not look like that... but it is ;))

I don't think any attempt in a 52 can be a fail - it's a challenge to learn after all :)

I like the thinking and can see where you were headed with this. The flute and the Dof are good and connect with the date and the future. If the page was a diary page for May 4th then I think you would have nailed it completely :) The colour of the paper is not an issue but yes the highlights are blown and you have got some reflections in the flute (sorry I don't want to add to your list).

It's a really good go and I think we'll all get weeks when time is against us and we can't quite get the perfection we strive for :)

Nothin wrong with handwriting. Theres not enough penned these days! Im quite happy with it as a list of future "events" as opposed to being a diary page. We all have lists of things to do. I also quite like the reflection in the flute, looks like a couple of eyes! Good luck with your flute grading :)

Last edited:
You got one in John and that counts :) Again I'm a sucker for DOF shots and this works in that respect but, a bit like Miss Cupcakes, I wish the words were sharper on the paper :) Like Rob I'm not fussed about the colours either (or the hand writing :) - Its better than mine :))

And the reflections on the flute add interest for me :)

Good attempt, on theme and don't be over critical of yourself :)

Its about learning! :D

:wave: Good to see you again John and glad that you're taking this on again.

I also think that you're being hugely overcritical of yourself.
Loads of positives for me there - I like the use of DoF so that the immediate future is clearer than that further ahead; the words reflected in the flute add some interest as John said; and I really don't care about the colour of the paper and the handwriting either.

Looking at it as a whole, I do find myself wondering why the flute was included rather than objects relating to any of the other things on the list (though admittedly I have no idea what you could have used for the 52 or the Olympics:thinking:). If you could have come up with something for them I think it may have held it all together a little more though.

John - I agree with other comments - you've been massively hard on yourself.

I love the idea - a clear wish list for The Future! And I love the thinking behind it: the 52 - weeks 1 and 2 (steady on there, don't over-commit :LOL: ); the Olympics - not sure whether you're competing or watching, but hey, this is the future and who knows!!! Grade 4 or 5 flute - I imagine there's about a year's worth of practice between the 2 grades, so it could be 2012 or further in the future, and then, dimly, 5 years into the future L glass!

The only thing that worries me is the L glass being at the bottom of the list. John!!! :rules: :rules: :rules:

btw - the flute adds interest and I like the reflections.

So I love the concept and interpretation (sorry for lumbering you with a difficult one to start with!) and don't care in the slightest about the colour of the paper or your writing, which is perfectly legible!

Jean

Thanks all for the comments. I know I'm being hard on myself, but someone has to ;)... I also need to find more than 5 minutes during a work break in which to try and setup and take these photos, that would help a lot I think.

Sarah, the other objects comment... I agree with you, that's why I said point 4... it needed something else... I'm not sure on the Olympics, but I could probably have come up with some rings of something... perhaps leaning on the flute ??

Jean, the L glass has to be at the bottom of the list, as much as I want it all tomorrow, I have to be practical, mores the pity... not unless the future holds a lottery win...

(not sure on the length of time between the grades, but as I don't have one yet, I am trying to decide at what level I should open with ;)).

Hi John

I agrre with all the other comments that you are being unduly critical about your shot and I would beg, no, plead, that you take fail out of your thread header as it is so not true.

As you remember well we all had weeks where you got what we had time for rather than what we wished we could have done - for whatever reason.

The picture fits the theme, it was in on time, it was illustrative as it gives an insight into things that you are planning and the DoF is much better than anything I could have done.

The flute stops it being a mere list and I think adding other objects would have just made a messy shot.

Please take heart from this and don't let it discourage you from continuing or I'll send jeangenie around :bat::bat:

Thanks Jill... just fot you, as you asked so nicely ;)... I've removed the fail from the title.

I'm not discouraged from continuing.. just wish I could manage to get what's in my head out and into a form I can capture with a camera... I know (give or take) what I'm gonna do for float... just need to find the time ...

I'm much happier with this one, which probably means no one is gonna like it (except you that is John ;)). I kinda knew what I wanted to do (been itching to have an excuse to try it since I learned about it) when I saw the theme. I had a number of ideas, but as I wanted to use my new lens also, it kinda limited me to what I could squeeze into the frame at the longer focal lengths. My original plan called for a self portrait, but with a lack of suitable background and the previous want to use my new lens...

Anyway...

He ran away in "Fear" from the UFO that "Float"ed up behind him :D

AlienChase2.jpg

There's a problem with the White Balance, I probably should have taken a custom white balance first... but hey.

I should point out, I'm not doing both 52's, only the 09 one, but this fits Fear also...

Last edited:
Thanks Michael

John I saw this on flickr and loved it :)

You've outdone my Lego work from last week :) The WB looks fine here, if I had to make a minor change it'd be some space under your subject's feet and beyond the right hand antenna :) Tiny niggle in good shot :D

But yep this is a good 'un...well composed and shot! :)

Love to see a set up shot :)

Cheers John.. I might be able to put a little more space on the right... no chance on the persons feet... but then I shot it from a low angle, as this is the effect I wanted... besides... I had no backdrop/scenery to use for it, and the lovely wood table, as nice as it is, just didn't fit...

Just for you... a little more space ;) (you're right... I hadn't notice the frame cuts in slightly, and that's caused the aerial to but hard against it.)

AlienChase21.jpg

As for a setup shot... I think I can probably come up with that... give me a while... gotta dig them out...

Just popping in to have a peep, say hello and gee you along :D

Week 1, you have been very hard on yourself, the 52 is a personal challenge and at the end i think we all aim to see an improvement in our all round ability.

Week 2, a great idea even if you are critical of yourself, i'm so jealous, i'm trying to get an idea for fear and you pop one in that not only fits the 09 theme but the current one too,
Well done and good luck with the next 50

Cliff

Great shot. I can see that you and Dark Star like playing with your toys ;)

I agree, a bit tight on the right. Perfect expression on the mans face although would like to see his feet. Lovely and sharp :clap:

Good start to your 52 John, I agree with the others posted above, your image for future works well, the flute some added interest to the list for future, the reflections add a lot too.
Float/Fear, everyone loves Lego, don't they? I again agree with others, I think the WB is fine, the subject ticks the box for the dual theme, well lit, composition works with the positioning of the figure running away from the ufo. Would have been good to see the feet but understand your limitations with your lens focal length and the background.
As I said, good start to your 52, I will be dropping in regularly to see how you are progressing. (y) Iain

Nice one John, It made me smile even though it screams fear :LOL:

Very clever, John - two shots in one! :)

Thanks for the second version with the antenna in - it niggled a bit on the first version! Perhaps we should have another separate 52 for you and John (DS) - all themes must be interpreted in Lego! :LOL:

The man looks harrassed/fearful and the arm positions suggest running. I think leaving his feet out was a good move (even if it was necessity) because it would have been hard to maintain the 'running' stance. It also gives the impressions that the camera in close to the action.

I think a whiter background would have taken away the atmosphere of the shot - it would have looked to clinical.

I'd be interested to see your set up shot if you have time. :)

Jean

John I agree with the other your being a little hard on yourself for the week one, but either way lessons learned and all that :D

As for week 2 I am firmly in the I love it camp :D I really like creative imaginative shots like this :)

The problem with being late in commenting is that it's all been said already :LOL:

Absolutely superb shot. Brilliantly thought out and executed perfectly. I prefer the second version with some more space to the right, but there really isn't a thing I'd change about it beyond that. WB looks fine to me, and I even like the way that you've cut the man's legs off - gives a feeling of motion out of the frame :clap: :clap: :clap:

I was starting to crave Lego after seeing the other John's week 1 . . . and now I definitely need to go and buy myself some.

thanks very much everyone...

Sarah, the framing was actually good in the original image, but when I used borderfx to put the drop shadow on the external border, I hadn't realised it ate into the image :confused::confused:.... still easily corrected...

I've not got a setup shot per se... but... here's the details..

This is made up of two shots...

The first was shot with the 70-200 and a 13mm macro tube... from below. I deliberately cut off the feet. He doesn't look like he's running... and is hard to balance upright with running legs.

IMG_2621.jpg

The second was shot with just the 70-200, I left him in this one, to try and give some idea of positioning...

IMG_2624.jpg

Then using the magic of Elements 10, scene cleaner (a truly wonderful tool), a couple of minutes work... job done..

There was no way, given the DOF issues with macro kit etc, to ever have achieved this in one shot (not that I can think of anyway). The second gives some idea of the size and scale/perspective issues involved also.

(Sarah, Lego is easy around here... I've got 2 boys who love the stuff.. This is from the Xmas sets).

And before anyone says it... yes I know the wall is rather battered :D

You're welcome Jean... a case of needs must... I did think about rigging some form of convoluted support system, and suspending it... but that was way more complicated than it needed, and then I'd have to wait for the motion to settle. I just happened to grab a couple of items that were handy nearby.. knowing they'd be removed later :D..

Another great take on the theme John, so less self critical please - that's our job :LOL:

It's certainly a lot more creative than mine, I just had to have a trip down to the marina, a short walk, take a few shots, have a coffee then go home ;)

Only 50 more to go (y)

thanks Jill. It might be more creative, but I think I'd rather have the short walk and a coffee in a lovely marina...

Also, I think... that's actually only 49 more to go... :D

Back