weekly Blondie606's 52 2013 Wk 52 Water-The End :-(

Hi Lynne

Won't comment on the first as #2 is spot on both for theme and comp and colour. Well persevered(y)

Altho I did like #1 because each glass looked as if it had been turned slightly towards the camera as one looks from left to right, which, given gravity, would be impossible to achieve. Brilliant :nuts: . It is actually quite a good effect.

The second shot is spot on! (y)

Clever idea. I agree second one is much better. Well done :)

Cheers Chris :)

Great idea for the original, but as you say, a few details let it down a bit. That edit really looks good to me though, I like it a lot.

This one is bugging me on the symetry :crying:

Great thinking behind these
Have to agree the 1st attempt was a little off and seeing the surface of middle and right one was a bit distracting
Love the retake, can see this as a huge poster in a ships dining room to confuse the passengers haha

I like that idea Bruce :LOL:

Hi Lynne

Won't comment on the first as #2 is spot on both for theme and comp and colour. Well persevered(y)

Altho I did like #1 because each glass looked as if it had been turned slightly towards the camera as one looks from left to right, which, given gravity, would be impossible to achieve. Brilliant :nuts: . It is actually quite a good effect.

Cheers Al ....more perseverance to follow (y) Damm it...why didn't I think of the glasses being turned slightly...thats a great way to view it (y)

The second shot is spot on! (y)

Cheers Dan :)

& a 3rd version for this shot.... the symetry was bugging me but no tome to reshoot so resorted to some more PP after a little guidance from you good peeps in the 52's theme thread ..ta muchly :clap:

Did a quick google for creating a blank page in pse10 & managed to come up with this :

Gravity attempt 3 by llj666, on Flickr

Still not perfect , the shadows had me beat & possibly not 100% level but very happy for a 1st attempt at this type of PP....yayyyy I've managed to learn something :D

I dream of doing something as good as these. Getting lighting and BG looking good without really expensive lights softboxes etc is way out of my league

Claps

Well done on going back and redoing this until you were happy. The blue is a great choice of colour and images 2 and 3 are great (y)

a couple of great edits.. like the mirrored sloping levels of the second version but always think 3 items look better composition wise.. (y)

Hi Lynne, I'd just like to echo what everyone else has said above, I admire your perserverence on this weeks theme. (y)

You've had the vision and seen it through to a great conclusion. Good skills :D

Well done Lynne - final one looks pretty much spot on to me - glad you've managed to work your original vision into the final product.

The lighting on these is great and you've inspired me for my shoot this week!

The first version shows a great idea even if it wasn't yours :LOL: trying to do something in a short time limit always puts too much pressure on yourself if you are trying it for the first time.

Out of the next 2 I prefer the last with all the liquid tilting in the same direction.

Learning something new is what 52's should be all about, I try to resist PP magic but I will learn a few tricks one day.

(y)

Great job Lynne. I like the contrast of the blue against the background. Prefer the 3rd shot.

Backgrounds are something im struggling with - What are you using?

I think i might have to bite the bullet and get some kind of light tent or something :/

I dream of doing something as good as these. Getting lighting and BG looking good without really expensive lights softboxes etc is way out of my league

Claps

Hi Carl

Thanks for the lovely comments (y)

I don't have any expensive lighting or softboxes either . This shot was in the conservatory with only natural light . The glasses were on a huge sheet of stiffish white paper with the window behind them . I held a largish piece of white carboard to the left & angled it till the worst of the shadows were gone .Camera on tripod on timer ,the exif details show the camera details as f13 exp comp +1 0.6 exposure time & no flash . I took around 20 shots to get the one I was happy with then just fiddled slightly in pse10 with levels .

Trust me , if I can do it you most certainly can....being stubborn about it also helps...I WILL NOT GIVE UP :D I'm sure the guys with all the lighting gear can get the same shot but better in 1/10th of the time but I ain't got the money to spare

Well done on going back and redoing this until you were happy. The blue is a great choice of colour and images 2 and 3 are great (y)

Cheers matey :)

a couple of great edits.. like the mirrored sloping levels of the second version but always think 3 items look better composition wise.. (y)

Yup...odd is always better than even...well, almost always :LOL:

Hi Lynne - real achievement through knowledge learned and perseverence. Well done :clap: You should feel very satisfied.

Thanks Al....glad I just about got there....in the end :D

Hi Lynne, I'd just like to echo what everyone else has said above, I admire your perserverence on this weeks theme. (y)

You've had the vision and seen it through to a great conclusion. Good skills :D

Thanks Iain....I'm a stubborn mare at times & refuse to be beaten (y)

Well done Lynne - final one looks pretty much spot on to me - glad you've managed to work your original vision into the final product.

The lighting on these is great and you've inspired me for my shoot this week!

Ooohhh.....thanks ever so much...took me a while but I got there ( well , almost !)

Hi Lynne, I've not had chance to comment before now. Well done on the PP for version three, I was going to mention the shadows as well but they're a minor niggly issue. This version is much stronger all round, well done for persevering :clap::clap::clap:

Thanks Marsha......shadows are something to work on in the future but at least I know have more of an idea than I did before :)

The first version shows a great idea even if it wasn't yours :LOL: trying to do something in a short time limit always puts too much pressure on yourself if you are trying it for the first time.

Out of the next 2 I prefer the last with all the liquid tilting in the same direction.

Learning something new is what 52's should be all about, I try to resist PP magic but I will learn a few tricks one day.

(y)

My imagination is sadly lacking at times so inspiration comes from others....I'll never re-create some elses shot 100% , try to put my own spin on it but am eternally gratefully to this site & & google images) for an endless supply of idea's to try . As for PP...hate the stuff cos I'm hopeless at learning but sometimes it works for me (y)

Great job Lynne. I like the contrast of the blue against the background. Prefer the 3rd shot.

Cheers matey:)

Backgrounds are something im struggling with - What are you using?

I think i might have to bite the bullet and get some kind of light tent or something :/

Hi Dan

I hate still life type shots as BG's are a mare for me....much prefer outdoors natural stuff .

I bought 4 huge sheets of stiffish paper...I think they are A1 size , from a craft shop & come in many different colors though I only have black & white at the mo . I also have a smaller square of cardboard ( cake tray) that I try to use to soften shadows & reflect light ( one side is silver , one side is white). I also bought a cheapo light tent ( £10 off fleabay) that I use very occassionally . Am thinking about buying a set of cheapo proper reflectors form fleabay as well ,about £10 for 4 different color ones but not got round to it yet . In the past I have used anything I find in the house that fits my need...chopping board , jumper , towel...I'll try anything (y)

Ah that's a great idea. My only issue would be storage. Don't know if I could put them somewhere they wouldn't get marked or wrecked by my little man! Might be worth a look in a crafts store of some type then! :)

Ah that's a great idea. My only issue would be storage. Don't know if I could put them somewhere they wouldn't get marked or wrecked by my little man! Might be worth a look in a crafts store of some type then! :)

You can buy storage cases for it....cheapest I saw in Hobbycraft was around £8 IIRC, sturdy enough enough not to bend & keeps the paper/card nice n flat & clean .Think they're called Portfolio cases (y)

Great stuff. Now just to find a craft store. Not normally my thing. Yell.com? Lol

I went into my local hobby craft for portfolio cases and they looked at me like i was an idiot. typical Swindon service..

I got A1 sheets from The range shop .

Just spend £45 on mounts for camera club displays. They are still old school, print and mount.

Great cheers Lynne. Funnily enough yell.com didnt bring that store up. I'm only about 25mins away which is as close as anywhere for me (y)

3 weeks in & I'm begining to wonder why I started this ...again !
Because you love it, the pressure and us :D

Things learnt :

1 ) I never seem to have a big enough sheet of paper for the BG's !
2 ) To take more care when checking live view...I could have sworn the glass's all looked to be the same angle
3 ) Balancing 3 1/2 full glass's on a slippery surface ( even with the aid of blu tac ) then trying to slide more mags underneath to get more angle is not easy :bonk:
4 ) Bg's drive me to distraction...couldn't get this one totally smooth for love nor money
5 ) Trying to sort a shot in 1/2 hour is a mistake....off to work in a minute so had to be done

Other than the above I'm quite pleased :D[/QUOTE]Summed up very well, but you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, i really must try this one day as you have made it look so effective - excellent colours, well lit and the background for me is fine - Nice One (y)

Because you love it, the pressure and us :D

Things learnt :

1 ) I never seem to have a big enough sheet of paper for the BG's !
2 ) To take more care when checking live view...I could have sworn the glass's all looked to be the same angle
3 ) Balancing 3 1/2 full glass's on a slippery surface ( even with the aid of blu tac ) then trying to slide more mags underneath to get more angle is not easy :bonk:
4 ) Bg's drive me to distraction...couldn't get this one totally smooth for love nor money
5 ) Trying to sort a shot in 1/2 hour is a mistake....off to work in a minute so had to be done

Other than the above I'm quite pleased :D
Summed up very well, but you shouldn't be so hard on yourself, i really must try this one day as you have made it look so effective - excellent colours, well lit and the background for me is fine - Nice One (y)[/QUOTE]

Awww..... thanks matey (y)

Ok...very late posting up Wild ....couldn't get organised to do the shot before the Malverns meet . decided on the following image though not entirely convinced though I do like it.....

Wk 4 Wild by llj666, on Flickr

still learning photomatix...getting better but need to refine my technique some more...rather than just moving the sliders randomly :LOL:

Great work on both Lynne (y)

A lone tree, :LOL: your perserverence on searching was rewarded with this one. You've kept all the detail in there without it being ott HDR. Maybe just a boost in contrast would be in order IMHO but other than that, bang on theme.

Space, just perfect IMHO.
A minimalist feel to it whilst conveying a powerful message.
Love it :D

Wild is lovely, Lynne: super tree and so well positioned! The space one really intrigues me, as well, it was a great spot and an enigmatic photo.

they are both great pics both of them are interesting to look at , space is superb it will definitely be my favourite of the week :clap: :clap:

2 more amazing pics to add to the collection Lynne, 5 out of 5 great shots now! Just out of curiosity, where was the space picture taken?

Can't say anymore than already been said. Love the space image. :clap:

I agree, 2 super shots, wonderfully interesting tree and well processed. No real giveaways as to use of HDR here.

And the Space is a wonderful shot, perfectly on theme. Very slightly converging verticals, which can be easily fixed using perspective distort tools.

Great work Lynne

Back