weekly Blondie606's 52 2013 Wk 52 Water-The End :-(

Love the effect of the skies and the tree in the «wild» picture. And also the fact that the horizon isn’t adjusted. It really gives a wild and inhostile (is that how it’s spelled?) impression! :clap:

I also like the space image, and the optical illusion that I cannot decide where the wall is and what really sticks out … (before you scroll to the bottom)

Well done on both!

Really like both shots, cant add anything more than what has already been said.

Hi Lynn.

I trust you guys had a blast @ Malvern

That space image is really interesting. I had no idea what NMA is but Google points to National Memorial Arboretum.

Very interesting take on the memorial, really sharp too.

Hi Lynne

Wild - good comp and a real atmosphere of wild, with the leafless tree and the scudding clouds on a nice diagonal. (y) Agree with Iain about a touch more contrast but very minor and might not work anyway.

Space - I find it a bit difficult to comment as I used the same (altho a different wall I think) in my 2012 52 for 'Time' So therefore it must be excellent. :D If you look at mine you will see that I had the same prob with verticals :bang:

Great work on both Lynne (y)

A lone tree, :LOL: your perserverence on searching was rewarded with this one. You've kept all the detail in there without it being ott HDR. Maybe just a boost in contrast would be in order IMHO but other than that, bang on theme.

Space, just perfect IMHO.
A minimalist feel to it whilst conveying a powerful message.
Love it :D

awww , cheers Iain.....I'm still on a mission for THE lone tree though :)

Wild is lovely, Lynne: super tree and so well positioned! The space one really intrigues me, as well, it was a great spot and an enigmatic photo.

Thanks Chris...the NMA is a very emotive place , well worth a visit

they are both great pics both of them are interesting to look at , space is superb it will definitely be my favourite of the week :clap: :clap:

Cheers Al....(y)

2 more amazing pics to add to the collection Lynne, 5 out of 5 great shots now! Just out of curiosity, where was the space picture taken?

Veyr kind comments which are much appreciated , thank you :love:
Space was taken at the National Memorial Arboretum which is a great place to visit (y)

I don't really have the knowledge to critique properly, but I love your shot for week 4. The tree contrasts really nicely with the barren background and for me, the whole setting, fits the theme perfectly.

Great work on both Lynne (y)

A lone tree, :LOL: your perserverence on searching was rewarded with this one. You've kept all the detail in there without it being ott HDR. Maybe just a boost in contrast would be in order IMHO but other than that, bang on theme.

Space, just perfect IMHO.
A minimalist feel to it whilst conveying a powerful message.
Love it :D

Yip, my thoughts.

The lone tree :)lol:) is a cracker and I have loads to sift through. It was a cracking tree with great character. The processing really suits the photograph and theme. It does look a tad grey and, as Iain says, a small contrast boost would work wonders. Yeah, liking that there tree.

Space, really well spotted. I like the processing and crop. Nice detail in the text.

Cheers.

Hi Lynne, Wild is a superb composition with great dimension and light. Really like this shot. Space - a very unusual and well executed shot, nicely done.

Ok...very late posting up Wild ....couldn't get organised to do the shot before the Malverns meet . decided on the following image though not entirely convinced though I do like it.....

Wk 4 Wild by llj666, on Flickr

still learning photomatix...getting better but need to refine my technique some more...rather than just moving the sliders randomly :LOL:

I think it's a great image :)
Sorry I missed you all at the meet - but the weather Sunday morning did not look conducive to an early rise for photography...

Oh and sliding the sliders up and down and left and right is as good a way as any to learn :p

Space is great lynne - i really like it :)

The tree shot is a great shot, i like the black and white. Composition of tree works really well.

Space is a nice shot very minimal with a powerful message. Very imaginative in my opinion two go images posted!

Excellent composition for "Wild". Really like the foreground/middleground/distance relationship. A very minor thing for me to crit would be the fringing/halo-ing around those upper tree branches and the horizon. Photomatix has a habit of doing that sometimes and it can be a pain to try and avoid. Either that - or it's just the cloud pattern making it look that way :)

Ian.

Really like wild, nice composition and lovely sky. Space is a great idea, well done for seeing the shot :clap:

Last edited:
you cant beat a lone tree shot... that is a rugged scene, suits the B+W and does say wild to me..

love your space shot.. nice and minimal, lovely tones and perfect for the theme

Wild is just perfect to me, love it.

Space, I really like the long thin crop, it never occurs to me to use anything outside 6x4... it's like an unwritten rule. A shot like this really shows the possibilities of the alternatives. Also, maybe it's my eyes, or maybe a stroke of luck, but the image keeps changing state as I stare at it, with the space fluctuating between being a gap and being 'stuck out' on top of the wall. Weird, and cool! :)

Can't say anymore than already been said. Love the space image. :clap:

TA muchly , glad you like the Space image...think it's my fav so far :)

I agree, 2 super shots, wonderfully interesting tree and well processed. No real giveaways as to use of HDR here.

And the Space is a wonderful shot, perfectly on theme. Very slightly converging verticals, which can be easily fixed using perspective distort tools.

Great work Lynne

verticals :bang: I shot this as portrait & possibly went to close in as not enought room to adjust them to be perfect...however , the wall is actually curver so maybe that didn't help ?

Love the effect of the skies and the tree in the «wild» picture. And also the fact that the horizon isn’t adjusted. It really gives a wild and inhostile (is that how it’s spelled?) impression! :clap:

I also like the space image, and the optical illusion that I cannot decide where the wall is and what really sticks out … (before you scroll to the bottom)

Well done on both!

Thanks erling.......the horizon is as it was though , think the low shooting angle just emphasied it :thinking:

Really like both shots, cant add anything more than what has already been said.

Cheers :)

Wild, lovely black and white, a little dark for my tastes but love the loneliness of it

Space - think you should have saved this in case optical illusion came up :)

I didn't spot the optical illusion till you mentioned it...& now I seee it everytime I look at it :LOL:

Hi Lynn.

I trust you guys had a blast @ Malvern

That space image is really interesting. I had no idea what NMA is but Google points to National Memorial Arboretum.

Very interesting take on the memorial, really sharp too.

Yup , National Memorial Arboretum....fabulous place , very moving but some great shots to be had (y)

Wild.....The lonely tree, you have found a great one there you just have to be careful when you get a halo effect around the branches.

Space....I think it's the subject more than the shot that works well here as the words are more obvious than the space it's self. A second shot looking through the space might add a little more.

(y)

Wild is great, good work there love the barren landscape.

Great work keep it up

Hi Lynne

Wild - good comp and a real atmosphere of wild, with the leafless tree and the scudding clouds on a nice diagonal. (y) Agree with Iain about a touch more contrast but very minor and might not work anyway.

Space - I find it a bit difficult to comment as I used the same (altho a different wall I think) in my 2012 52 for 'Time' So therefore it must be excellent. :D If you look at mine you will see that I had the same prob with verticals :bang:

Thanks Allan, verticals...what a mare

I don't really have the knowledge to critique properly, but I love your shot for week 4. The tree contrasts really nicely with the barren background and for me, the whole setting, fits the theme perfectly.

Thanks for popping in , don't worry about knowledge...you've got it spot on by saying what you like about what you see (y)

Yip, my thoughts.

The lone tree :)lol:) is a cracker and I have loads to sift through. It was a cracking tree with great character. The processing really suits the photograph and theme. It does look a tad grey and, as Iain says, a small contrast boost would work wonders. Yeah, liking that there tree.

Space, really well spotted. I like the processing and crop. Nice detail in the text.

Cheers.

Cheers Matey....sooo glad we called in there on the way back (y)

Hi Lynne, Wild is a superb composition with great dimension and light. Really like this shot. Space - a very unusual and well executed shot, nicely done.

Thanks mister

I think it's a great image :)
Sorry I missed you all at the meet - but the weather Sunday morning did not look conducive to an early rise for photography...

Oh and sliding the sliders up and down and left and right is as good a way as any to learn :p

Cheers Jeff...still got a way to go till I reach your standard but I improve a little a each time I try which is the aim:D

Space is great lynne - i really like it :)

Cheers :)

Hi Lynne :)

Space - I like the crop you have chosen, it really helps emphasize the size of the gap, I also like the way you found a location that actually lets you include the word 'space' in the image, some great detail in that stonework - a great find :clap:

Thanks DK...was struglin for idea's when I spotted this

The tree shot is a great shot, i like the black and white. Composition of tree works really well.

Space is a nice shot very minimal with a powerful message. Very imaginative in my opinion two go images posted!

Thanks mister

Excellent composition for "Wild". Really like the foreground/middleground/distance relationship. A very minor thing for me to crit would be the fringing/halo-ing around those upper tree branches and the horizon. Photomatix has a habit of doing that sometimes and it can be a pain to try and avoid. Either that - or it's just the cloud pattern making it look that way :)

Ian.

Thanks Ian....yeah , still learning HDR....that haloing malarky bugs me...must try harder :bang:

Really like wild, nice composition and lovely sky. Space is a great idea, well done for seeing the shot :clap:

Thanks Martin (y)

you cant beat a lone tree shot... that is a rugged scene, suits the B+W and does say wild to me..

love your space shot.. nice and minimal, lovely tones and perfect for the theme

Cheers Mich (y)

Love both shots, but Wild is the one for me, B&W shots (y)

Love both wild and space. Can't find anything that needs to be changed on these.

Many thanks (y)
Well done

Wild is just perfect to me, love it.

Space, I really like the long thin crop, it never occurs to me to use anything outside 6x4... it's like an unwritten rule. A shot like this really shows the possibilities of the alternatives. Also, maybe it's my eyes, or maybe a stroke of luck, but the image keeps changing state as I stare at it, with the space fluctuating between being a gap and being 'stuck out' on top of the wall. Weird, and cool! :)

Cheers Nick...it's having that effect on me as well now I've seen it ! & I've not read the rule book...make my own up as I go along :)

Last edited:
love them all great shots,you can be very proud of your work

Craig

Thanks for your kind words Craig :)

I can't really add anything that hasn't been said.

They are both fantastic shots.

Cheers mister (y)

Wild.....The lonely tree, you have found a great one there you just have to be careful when you get a halo effect around the branches.

Space....I think it's the subject more than the shot that works well here as the words are more obvious than the space it's self. A second shot looking through the space might add a little more.

(y)

Cheers foggy....still working on HDR...I will get there eventually !hmmmm....never thought to take a 2nd shot through the gap but will try it whenI go back again...thanks for the idea (y)

Wild is great, good work there love the barren landscape.

Great work keep it up

Many thanks Danny :)

& so to week 6....times a flying !

Had an idea but the weather has been so pants today I couldn't get to take it....rain , sleet . blowing a gale...not conducive tobeing out n about with the camera. not gonna have a chance of doing anything during the week so plumped for a simple shot in doors...at least I thought it would be simple ! tried various positions , me holding the needle & frame but didn't have enough hands & couldn't keep it still enough so went basic :

One of my other hobbies ( at least it was till I found photography ) Needlework...to be precise..Cross-stitch

Wk 5 Work jpeg by llj666, on Flickr

The tones are accurate , the aida is cream , the thread isvarying shades of browns & creams & the frame is pine effect....& one day I'll get the images framed & hung up :D

The weather kept me indoors today too Lynne :LOL:

I like your take on this weeks theme, it has a warm feel to it with the muted colour tones. Focus is bang on, showing lots of detail in the material.
Could easily be a product shot in a magazine or brochure. Good work Missus (y)

2 of you in doors, I don't know...I was out there...in the car and into the Royal Armouries :D

Like it. The colours have been handled well as has the detail.

Being uber critical, possibly folding under the lower right cloth, IYSWIM.

Cheers

Nice!

The Mrs is a crossstitch-er, and that could be a shot from any of the ads in her magazines. Lovely tranquil colours, really relaxing to look at, and I like the placement of the hoop and the edge of the piece from a composition point of view. Good job!:)

The colours are lovely, and I really like the composition, starting with among the simplest of materials. A few more stitches in place, perhaps? But really nice.

yep - very nice, just I can;t quite see where the bit in the top right fits in... At first I thought it was the instructions, but it's not isit? Wonder if just plain cloth might have worked in this portion, there's plenty of detail in the main sticthing inside the ring to balance this. :thinking:

I cant really add anything apart from well on them, its nicely light and shows the subject well.

Very nice Lynne, good fine detail and warm colour. Good take on the theme.

brilliant shot lynne - lovely colours and very 'advert' type of shot for some type of hobbyist mag etc

shows great skill both with a camera and cross-stitch...

Dont suppose i can send you my work trousers? :LOL:

The weather kept me indoors today too Lynne :LOL:

I like your take on this weeks theme, it has a warm feel to it with the muted colour tones. Focus is bang on, showing lots of detail in the material.
Could easily be a product shot in a magazine or brochure. Good work Missus (y)

Cheers Iain...least the weathers looking a bit more promising for tomorrow !

2 of you in doors, I don't know...I was out there...in the car and into the Royal Armouries :D

Like it. The colours have been handled well as has the detail.

Being uber critical, possibly folding under the lower right cloth, IYSWIM.

Cheers

Yup , I do swym...but I liked being able to see the edge of the aida...& it served to hide the worktop :LOL:

Nice!

The Mrs is a crossstitch-er, and that could be a shot from any of the ads in her magazines. Lovely tranquil colours, really relaxing to look at, and I like the placement of the hoop and the edge of the piece from a composition point of view. Good job!:)

Thats very kind of you to say ...much appreciated (y)

The colours are lovely, and I really like the composition, starting with among the simplest of materials. A few more stitches in place, perhaps? But really nice.

Cheers Chris....not sure where I'd put a few more stitch's though...both pictures are complete :D

Back