weekly Delta Skies 2014 TP52 - Week 51 Extravagant & Week 52 Support (that's 2014 done)

Ending - good idea and well shot. I like the faded look to it and I wonder how it would look if were more bleached out in PP to emphasise the fadedness?

As mentioned Perter, lighting and muted colours work well here, good image (y)

Hi Peter, as above really well lit and the fading rose is perfect but I do agree with Lynne about the comp not sure how i would have approached it though.
I'm a great help aint I :)
still a good image and perfect for the theme (y)

Ending - good idea and well shot. I like the faded look to it and I wonder how it would look if were more bleached out in PP to emphasise the fadedness?
Thanks Mercurius.
A very nice image Peter, I like it a lot...I couldn't resist trying to get the gist of the book to see if it had a romantic ending :confused: I agree with the above ...a faded look may add even more to it.
Thanks Susie

I did look at ageing it even further including tweaking the overall exposure. I was keen on what I came up with and in some of my goes it also made my WB look way out

Another (y) From me this week peter, love the lighting and muted tones.
Thanks Adam

As mentioned Perter, lighting and muted colours work well here, good image (y)
Cheers Phil

Hi Peter, as above really well lit and the fading rose is perfect but I do agree with Lynne about the comp not sure how i would have approached it though.
I'm a great help aint I :)
still a good image and perfect for the theme (y)
Thanks Allan

Hi Peter :)

Ending - Like your thinking... the muted colours of the nearly dead rose really add to the theme, the inclusion of the books 'The End' is a nice touch (y)

Crit - Hmmmmm :thinking: none from me, nice composition/crop, and it's nicely lit too
Thanks for the comments Dean

Sense: Very well handled processing there Peter. This looks like its straight out of a tourist guide. Like the the way the large pillars in the foreground frame the picture and help lead the eye down the Isle. Impressive effort sir!

Ending: Another strong piece which reinforces in my mind your ability to consistantly deliver quality work. The vintage tones work really well. So well that without an explanation, I would not know how you've achieved this

Ending has good composition, lighting and processing - it's also sharp so it all adds up to a very good shot.

You've done a good job with giving the aged feel I'm just not 100% sure on the comp. I'd maybe have cropped in a bit tighter so the stem comes up from bottom RH corner and lose a bit of the LH side :thinking:

Sense - lovely shot - good impact and a lot of patience in setting it up and PP. Serene
Ending - again a well thought out shot and agree that the pp adds that bit of 'age'. Good colours. I go with Lynne re the comps and would have put the rose on the same diag - but personal choice.

Nice take take and the aged look works well.
Thanks Richard

Sense: Very well handled processing there Peter. This looks like its straight out of a tourist guide. Like the the way the large pillars in the foreground frame the picture and help lead the eye down the Isle. Impressive effort sir!

Ending: Another strong piece which reinforces in my mind your ability to consistantly deliver quality work. The vintage tones work really well. So well that without an explanation, I would not know how you've achieved this
Thanks for the comments Jason.

Ending has good composition, lighting and processing - it's also sharp so it all adds up to a very good shot.
Cheers Kev

Ending - Like what you have done here the aged look works well
Thanks Craig

You've done a good job with giving the aged feel I'm just not 100% sure on the comp. I'd maybe have cropped in a bit tighter so the stem comes up from bottom RH corner and lose a bit of the LH side :thinking:
Thanks Michael. I see what you mean about the crop and I must admit to often placing lines coming from corners when I can.

Sense - lovely shot - good impact and a lot of patience in setting it up and PP. Serene
Ending - again a well thought out shot and agree that the pp adds that bit of 'age'. Good colours. I go with Lynne re the comps and would have put the rose on the same diag - but personal choice.
Thanks Alan

Another thumbs up for that "ending" image. (y)
Cheers David

Ending is a good one and the rose is well and truly at it's end...I'd prefer it without the book as I don't really see the connection between the two.

Hope you've bought Sarah some new flowers ;)

Cheers.

Ending is a good one and the rose is well and truly at it's end...I'd prefer it without the book as I don't really see the connection between the two.

Hope you've bought Sarah some new flowers ;)

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. Yes definitely more flowers. She's just been attacking some tulips with her camera.

Ending - really like it, the rose finishes it off nicely. Nothing more from me, well done Peter!
Thanks Simon.

Week 09 - Positive

Positive
by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Well I was determined to stay away from batteries as I used that subject 2 years ago when negative was a theme. Last time it was a minimal image with lots of negative space as well. Definitely a different shot then this year. After trying shot after shot after shot and numerous and lengthy editing to get a non-battery image I moved on tonight and am glad to say it only took a handful of shots before I was happy with the composition and then all that was needed was a few tweaks in PS (which was a shame as I've got a new Wacom tablet after our visit to the NEC at the weekend). I used a fairly simple lighting set up other than some use of a black card to make sure the lights didn't show up in reflections.

Nicely set up Peter... Nothing wrong with battery shots, liking the yellow ring sand the way you have the Duracell higher in the huge bunch, the black card seems to have done the trick too there are super reflections throughout (y)

I picked up a 10m roll of black paper from The Range last week, not found a use for it yet...

Fantastic precision with the arrangement and angle to ensure the terminal falls iiiin sync with the pattern made by the negatives.

Here goes with the worlds tiniest nitpick though...... The dimples on the one to the right are going the wrong way.

Take that as s positive though.. As the important aspects are spot in for me.

Good composition and lighting, I like the reflections.

Nicely set up Peter... Nothing wrong with battery shots, liking the yellow ring sand the way you have the Duracell higher in the huge bunch, the black card seems to have done the trick too there are super reflections throughout (y)

I picked up a 10m roll of black paper from The Range last week, not found a use for it yet...
Thanks Dean

Fantastic precision with the arrangement and angle to ensure the terminal falls iiiin sync with the pattern made by the negatives.

Here goes with the worlds tiniest nitpick though...... The dimples on the one to the right are going the wrong way.

Take that as s positive though.. As the important aspects are spot in for me.
Thanks Graham. I know what you mean about the dimples. I could reshoot as the set up is still there but maybe a quick PP later will sort it.

Spot on for the theme good composition I like it very much.
Thanks Mandy

Good composition and lighting, I like the reflections.
Cheers Kev

This theme has certainly made photos of batteries popular, but this is definetly the best of the bunch

Hheeeeey, leave the dimples alone.

I thought, 'not another battery photograph', but I like it. The portrait orientation works for me.

The 'in ya face' protruding battery really is....in my face.

Like it...

Crit, well the, dimples.....;)

Cheers.

Hi Peter, attempting a catch up, sorry I have not checked in for a while.

Week 3, Close, nice composition, a little more dof for me to bring the lettering on top a little more in focus.
Week 4, Bubble, Like this one, the dice make a great subject in the liquid, nice bg and lighting
Week 5, Smoke, Oooh, nice idea. The white bg sets the chilli off nicely and great detail in the smoke.
Week 6, mineral, nicely lit along with good colours, I keep looking for the top of the bottle, but an interesting composition.
Week 8, Ending, Great subject choice, like the subdued colour on the rose.
Week 9, Positive, LIke the impact of the battery sticking out.

Hi Peter very nicely composed, very good symmetry which makes the picture and the lighting is spot on.
excellent work

Hi Peter

Positive.....nothing to add really :)except....I'd not have noticed the dimples if they hadn't been pointed out :rolleyes:

This theme has certainly made photos of batteries popular, but this is definetly the best of the bunch
Many thanks colin

Damn - I wanted to say that:)

Nice set up Peter and the colours work really well and faithfully reproduced. (n)
Thanks again Alan

Hheeeeey, leave the dimples alone.

I thought, 'not another battery photograph', but I like it. The portrait orientation works for me.

The 'in ya face' protruding battery really is....in my face.

Like it...

Crit, well the, dimples.....;)

Cheers.
Cheers Andy. Those dimples definitely need changing but I'm thinking to not align them so they all face the same direction. Maybe the ones on the left face one way and the ones on the right face the other?

Hi Peter, attempting a catch up, sorry I have not checked in for a while.

Week 3, Close, nice composition, a little more dof for me to bring the lettering on top a little more in focus.
Week 4, Bubble, Like this one, the dice make a great subject in the liquid, nice bg and lighting
Week 5, Smoke, Oooh, nice idea. The white bg sets the chilli off nicely and great detail in the smoke.
Week 6, mineral, nicely lit along with good colours, I keep looking for the top of the bottle, but an interesting composition.
Week 8, Ending, Great subject choice, like the subdued colour on the rose.
Week 9, Positive, LIke the impact of the battery sticking out.
Thanks for all the catching up Michael. Much appreciated.

Week 10 - Time

A Stitch in Time
by Delta Skies, on Flickr

Well as quick as I took the batteries away, I was putting cotton (ok polyester) reels back in front of the lights. Our other hobby is kite flying. Not just the typical ones you see in the park. We fly the big inflatable types at festivals around the country and at times abroad as well. When I say big, our largest is 30 metres long by 10m wide! If you are interested see our website. Anyway, some of these creations have been made and designed by ourselves so as you can imagine we've got a far amount of thread. Seemed an obvious link hence the photo.

The image was taken using a simple studio set up with a fairly small aperture - taken at f16 which was a stop underexposed due to the brightness of the background. The cottons were then given a boost of exposure in PP followed by the usual tweaks - curves, sharpening and a slight vignette.

Last edited:
Back