weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

The edit is a lot better. The ring stands out more, an the sand looks a better tone. Well rescued background :)

Good thinking DK (y) Edit looks better, the ring certainly stands out more. Detail in sands good too, loads of minerals in there too :)
Thanks Phil :)

I like the edit much better well done.
Cheers Mandy :)

Ok, I replied to your thread last night, where'd it go :thinking::grumpy:
Hahaaaa where did it go... behind the sofa ??

I'll say it again!

Smoke, love the colours in number one and the sun beams in number two, now go back and wait until you can combine the two :exit:
Yeah right :D

Mineral. I like the edited version best, the detail in the stone is better. I don't think you needed to use the sand though as the ring has a big enough mineral in it, I think the sand is a touch distracting!

I did wonder whether to just keep it on Mrs DK's hand, or on a dresser, or in a box... settled for Sand lol :D

colour of the sand is fine for me - great detail picking out every single grain, second of the two originals for the detail retained in the top facets of the ring.... and there was me thinking you went to the beach for this one!
GOD NO... wouldn't dare go to the beach with it... The wife would be a nervous wreck :D

At least if you lost it in a builders bag in the garden, it would be easier to find than somewhere on Great Yarmouth beach!!
Exactly :O

The edit is a lot better. The ring stands out more, an the sand looks a better tone. Well rescued background :)
Cheers Adam :)

Hi DK
Mineral - I find jewellry surprisingly hard to get right, but have failed to fathom the reason. They always seem to look right in the viewfinder but the metal often looks dull. I prefer #2 cos the stone and the small claws are better and the sand seems to complement it better. If anything i would have tried to bury it even further and make the contrast between the stone and its setting with the sand, without the 'ring' part :thinking:

Hi DK......A nice idea you've had there...

Edited image is a little more balanced and complimentary to the subject I think
Thanks Jason :)

Looking back it is surprising the difference it does make !!!

Hi DK
Mineral - I find jewellry surprisingly hard to get right, but have failed to fathom the reason. They always seem to look right in the viewfinder but the metal often looks dull. I prefer #2 cos the stone and the small claws are better and the sand seems to complement it better. If anything i would have tried to bury it even further and make the contrast between the stone and its setting with the sand, without the 'ring' part :thinking:
Oooo good thinking Batman !!!! Thanks Alan... may try that if the weather is poor again this weekend :)

Hi Dean

apologies for my delayed visit to your thread :oops: :$...I will try harder in future !

Smoke....liking that take on the theme.....prefering #2 I think lovely silhouette & colors :clap:.....might have cropped a chunk from the lhs to make the building less central ?

Mineral....love that edit of #1.....can't really add anything to what's been said already (y)

Hi Dean

apologies for my delayed visit to your thread :oops: :$...I will try harder in future !
Oooo you naughty lady :bat:

:D

Smoke....liking that take on the theme.....prefering #2 I think lovely silhouette & colors :clap:.....might have cropped a chunk from the lhs to make the building less central ?

Mineral....love that edit of #1.....can't really add anything to what's been said already (y)
Thanks Lynne :)

Beautifully sharp and clean - agree about the yellowness of the sand - but the edit has much improved it.

Edit much better nice to see something different (y)
Thanks Michael :)

HI Dk, again all been said above but the edit is great
Cheers Craig :)
Beautifully sharp and clean - agree about the yellowness of the sand - but the edit has much improved it.
Thanks Sarah :)

Absolutely fantastic smoke shot Dean. Great colours in there and the sun just visible above the horizon makes 1 my personal fave. Great work.
Why thank you young man... Cheers Alan :)

Well... a bit of a tough one this week, had a good idea but was unable to find my subject, so I will be keeping an eye open during the week....

In the mean time, wandering around the garden i realised that, with the wind down, blue sky and the sun finally out there was a 'Sense' of spring in the air.

Wk 7 - a 'Sense' of Spring

2 too choose from, both very similar I'm liking the really narrow DoF on the second shot but feel it may be too shallow, hence shot One is my first choice

<EDIT> Nooooooooooo just see Nathalie has the same idea... AND the same flower lol :bang:

Wk 7 - a 'Sense' of Spring
by TP DK, on Flickr

Wk 7 - a 'Sense' of Spring 2
by TP DK, on Flickr

:LOL: Fools never differ Great minds thinking alike.

OMG if you'd gone halfway between the two you'd have got it spot on - slightly too much DOF in the first and too little in the 2nd if you'd gone about 5.6 or 8 I think it would have been spot on for me. It's the crocus about 1/3 in from the left being OOF that spoils it a bit in the 2nd one.

:LOL: Fools never differ Great minds thinking alike.

OMG if you'd gone halfway between the two you'd have got it spot on - slightly too much DOF in the first and too little in the 2nd if you'd gone about 5.6 or 8 I think it would have been spot on for me. It's the crocus about 1/3 in from the left being OOF that spoils it a bit in the 2nd one.

I think you're right, in the middle would have been much better... and with Nathalie doing a similar image I am really desperate to find my original shot I wanted :D

I think you're right, in the middle would have been much better... and with Nathalie doing a similar image I am really desperate to find my original shot I wanted :D

Bloody copy cat :D I tend not to look at other people's photos until I've posted my own, so I guess I'm always running the risk of someone pinching "my" idea - although on 2nd thoughts, as I've had to explain a lot of mine that might not be true :LOL:

Photographing flowers is not easy. They are everywhere and as a consequence hard to get the 'wow factor'.

On theme, nice low angle and I like the yellow peaking out of the RH flower. Slightly wider DOF for me.

Cheers.

Hi DK, i think the first one as more of the crocus are in focus, but just to repeat a little less DoF or a little more on the second
has it sunk in yet :naughty:

Photographing flowers is not easy. They are everywhere and as a consequence hard to get the 'wow factor'.
Very true mate... hard to get the wow factor, and this week not even an original idea lol :D

On theme, nice low angle and I like the yellow peaking out of the RH flower. Slightly wider DOF for me.

Cheers.
Thanks mate... 2 out of 3 ain't bad :)

Hi DK, i think the first one as more of the crocus are in focus, but just to repeat a little less DoF or a little more on the second
has it sunk in yet :naughty:
Thanks Allan... and well would you believe it, yes I do get the jist :D

Good viewpoint and colours. I like the RH side of the 2nd one :), the DOF on the first shows too much detail.

<EDIT> Nooooooooooo just see Nathalie has the same idea... AND the same flower lol :banghead:
Well, it IS a very pretty flower, the crocus. I <3 it!.

I think I prefer number 2 because of the more OoF and less distracting background, but if it were me I'd have cropped it and kept the right hand side half of image. Great colours and I like the PoV. (But then I would say that! :) )

Oh, and I agree with Andy, flowers are not the easiest to photograph!

Great take on the theme I have to pick the second image but I do think it's a smidgen ott on the dof. I do like the crocus such a small pretty looking little flower.
Thanks Mandy :)

Good viewpoint and colours. I like the RH side of the 2nd one :), the DOF on the first shows too much detail.
Cheers Kev... I know you are spot on :)

Well, it IS a very pretty flower, the crocus. I <3 it!.

I think I prefer number 2 because of the more OoF and less distracting background, but if it were me I'd have cropped it and kept the right hand side half of image. Great colours and I like the PoV. (But then I would say that! :) )

Oh, and I agree with Andy, flowers are not the easiest to photograph!
Thanks Nathalie :)

I might have a go at your crop suggestion...

1st image for me DK (y) prefer the dof and you've cloned out the one growing out the top of the other :)

It's #2 for me. Lovely strong colour of the flowers and I like the DoF. Thanks for the reminder that spring isn't too far away now!

Nice colours, good dof and the one on the right makes it a little more special.
Thanks Mark :)

1st image for me DK (y) prefer the dof and you've cloned out the one growing out the top of the other :)
Thanks Phil... and yes I did on that one, forgot on the other :D

Number one for me DK .... Not a problem for me being reminded of spring twice in the theme :)
Cheers Susie... me too really, can't wait for a bit more of the same :)

I prefer number two, DK, but as Sarah said, slightly over done on the DOF. Funny how what I like seems to be opposite to other peoples' preferences.
It's good to be different Simon :)

It's #2 for me. Lovely strong colour of the flowers and I like the DoF. Thanks for the reminder that spring isn't too far away now!
Thanks as always :)

Bright, colourful, and on theme Dean, good work (y)
As mentioned combination of the two would have nailed it but it's no biggie.

Bright, colourful, and on theme Dean, good work (y)
As mentioned combination of the two would have nailed it but it's no biggie.
Thanks Iain :)

May be no biggie... but you know how it winds some of us up... DOH why did I not do some shots in between, I have loads of other angles at f7.1 and f8 - but not from this low angle :bang:

Back