weekly DK's 52 in 2014 - Wk's 52 'Support' Added - AND FINISHED :)

#3 for me, point of focus on the end works well, doesnl;t need the body(?) of the saw in focus... would like it better without the top being cropped off though.

That sticky up twig bit has managed to get into all of them though.

(y)

Swirl - what an interestingly shape and colour for a shell. Thanks for your explanation!

Linked. I prefer #1 because there's less distraction in the baackground.

#3 for me, point of focus on the end works well, doesnl;t need the body(?) of the saw in focus... would like it better without the top being cropped off though.

That sticky up twig bit has managed to get into all of them though.

(y)
Thanks Graham:)

I have just looked back and Damn... that twig is every shot loll

I may put up a taller crop if I have one... but it is a bit of an ugly thing :D

Last edited:
Swirl - what an interestingly shape and colour for a shell. Thanks for your explanation!
Your welcome... and thanks :)

Linked. I prefer #1 because there's less distraction in the baackground.
Thanks again Mercurius :)

Reshoot Bubbles - I know it shows less about the bubbles but I really do like #4. The swirly lines radiating from the centre are super. Reminds me of one of those images of the Inca Sun god.

Linked - I'd go for #3 out of these. Seeing the handle/guard in the background gives it a bit of context. The composition is nice as well.

Hey Alan :)

Bubble reshoot- #2 for me as IMO it is the best photo. Looks a bit like lava rising and so bubbles are implied if not actually apparent. Implied motion too.
Thanks Alan... that does make sense so I'll take that - that's mine too :)
Linked - #3 for me as the best lighting with the highlight in the right place and for me the dof is good
Thanks again Alan :)

Reshoot Bubbles - I know it shows less about the bubbles but I really do like #4. The swirly lines radiating from the centre are super. Reminds me of one of those images of the Inca Sun god.
Ahhhhh so it does Peter - Thanks :)

I never realised until I took these how even the bubbles come from the airball, and with that last shot, damn erratic directions :)

Linked - I'd go for #3 out of these. Seeing the handle/guard in the background gives it a bit of context. The composition is nice as well.
Thanks again Peter :)

I'm really please a few of you guys like the used DoF, I really thought once I had edited and starred a few times that it needed a bit more :)

Hi, linked, well exposed and. If detail. Just lacks a bit of drama. IMO, chainsaw should who's move my and I'd like to see it buzzing away with bits of tree flying all over :)

Cheers.

Hi, linked, well exposed and. If detail. Just lacks a bit of drama. IMO, chainsaw should who's move my and I'd like to see it buzzing away with bits of tree flying all over :)

Cheers.
Ahhh Haaaa now that would be a shot... close up shot freezing chainsaw in action... now where did I leave my fingers :thinking:

Lacks Drama... you got me there mate, is a bit of a still life isn't it - Cheers Andy... food for thought for similar shots :)

I have to agree with your own crit.

It would make a good advert though (y)
That's Handy... Cheers mark :)

Reshoot bubbles: Deffo number 2 for me. There is enough here to show the bubbles and the long exposure adds a touch of class, lifting this way above the rest.

Linked: I'm bucking the trend and choosing number one, Simply becasue the Makita branding is more prominent as well as the colorful green grass and textured bark. I would be tempted to clone that pesky little twig finger though.

I like number 1 and number 2, but I think number 2 wins for me some how. Possibly the framing is more appealing to me. Good stuff and nice idea for the theme.
I like the green bokeh too :D

Reshoot bubbles: Deffo number 2 for me. There is enough here to show the bubbles and the long exposure adds a touch of class, lifting this way above the rest.
Thanks Jason :)

I'm glad so many are choosing this one :)

: I'm bucking the trend and choosing number one, Simply becasue the Makita branding is more prominent as well as the colorful green grass and textured bark. I would be tempted to clone that pesky little twig finger though.
Thanks agaion :)

ANd damn yes at the twig, god knows how I missed that in all edits... couldn't see the wood from the trees :D

I like number 1 and number 2, but I think number 2 wins for me some how. Possibly the framing is more appealing to me. Good stuff and nice idea for the theme.
I like the green bokeh too :D
And another one.... Thanks Simon :)

Green Bokeh... pick of the day :D

Linked: I'm bucking the trend and choosing number one, Simply becasue the Makita branding is more prominent as well as the colorful green grass and textured bark. I would be tempted to clone that pesky little twig finger though.

worrying DK I agree with every thing Jason has said here :help::help::help:

#2 bubbles for me just long enough exposure to see some movement and short enough o see the bubbles.

#1 linked. Like the composition of this, especially with the slightly wider crop.......needs sharpening though....the saw that is not the pic :D

Glad someone figured out the new style flickr link because I really struggled with it. Like the composition of the linked but not sure about the DOF. I feel like the whole blade should be in focus.

Hi Dean

Bubble.....1st image for me as seems the most on theme with plenty of bubbles :D Not quite so keen on the slope bits in the corners at the top though.....

The long exposure shots......the 1st works best for me....has kept enough detail to tell it's water bubbling but has smoothed it at the same time :thinking:

Linked...thats a serious piece of kit ! #1 for me ( I'll ignore that blooming twig :D )as I prefer the angle , sharp , well focused thoug maybe a touch bright on the blade ?

worrying DK I agree with every thing Jason has said here :help::help::help:
Hahaaaaa - Thanks Craig :D

#2 bubbles for me just long enough exposure to see some movement and short enough o see the bubbles.
YAY !!! Thanks Michael :)

#1 linked. Like the composition of this, especially with the slightly wider crop.......needs sharpening though....the saw that is not the pic :D
Ahhh Haaaaa... I did wonder if anybody would notice, not been used for a good 3 years :LOL:

Thanks again :)

Glad someone figured out the new style flickr link because I really struggled with it.
It did take a while Richard... I tried the new flicker when it was an option, but I went back to the 'Normal' one :)

Like the composition of the linked but not sure about the DOF. I feel like the whole blade should be in focus.
Me too mate me too... but looks like we are outnumbered :D

Last edited:
Hi Dean

Bubble.....1st image for me as seems the most on theme with plenty of bubbles :D Not quite so keen on the slope bits in the corners at the top though.....
Thanks Lynne :)... hang on... what bits :thinking:

The long exposure shots......the 1st works best for me....has kept enough detail to tell it's water bubbling but has smoothed it at the same time :thinking:
Yeah odd hey :D

Linked...thats a serious piece of kit ! #1 for me
Thank you :)

( I'll ignore that blooming twig :D )
Even BIGGER Thank YOU :D

as I prefer the angle , sharp , well focused thoug maybe a touch bright on the blade ?
Yeah It is a tab bright... low evening Sun was very strong - Ok I could tone it down a bit in PP... Lazy Git :)

Hi DK, 3rd image for me shows a little of the body of the chainsaw, the one thing I am surprised at is someone has let you loose with a chainsaw:runaway:
Thanks Allan... I think :D

Right... not wanting to get too far behind this year, here is a 'placeholder' shot to cover wk 14, I'm hoping to add something different after my holiday next week <touch wood>

Been waiting for some decent light at the right time of day and some friendly insects... unfortunately the 3 have not been around at the same time as myself... so this shot will have to do.

I like the colours and the splattering of blue sky at last, but a bit disappointed that the light is not on the blossom a bit more towards the bottom, I should have got a reflector out I think

Anyway... here we go - Wk 14 - 'Nature / Natural'

LINK... When Flickr starts working again Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :banghead:

Last edited:
Good colours, dof, as you say DK, the blue sky coming through works well (y)

Works well enough as a "placeholder", agree that more light from below would have worked here.

The three layers, blossom, muted OOf background blossom and then blue sky behind work well.

Hi DK, great colour in this, could maybe do with a crop to bring the twig into the bottom left corner and as you say a bit more light from under

Reflected light in the lower parts of the flower was my first observation, well, after I saw the lovely blue sky. I had a quick edit in the new Lightroom Mobile :) on my iPad and managed to bring out some of RHS shadows in the underside of the flowers,Mandy also cool it down a tad as it's quite warm. Maybe that's what it was like. :thinking:

Nevertheless it made me smile at the prospect kf some nice blues skies and colourful flowers.

Cheers.

Good colours, dof, as you say DK, the blue sky coming through works well (y)
tHANKS pHIL :)

Yeah nice DOF for me too...
Cheers Colin :)

Works well enough as a "placeholder", agree that more light from below would have worked here.

The three layers, blossom, muted OOf background blossom and then blue sky behind work well.
Nice one - Thanks Graham :)

Hi Dean,
nature... not keen on the horizontal branch that the blossom is on, other than that, love the colours, dof and its nicely in focus (y)
Ahhhh well spotted Judi... cant say that stood out to me until now... and that's now the first thing I see lol ... Thanks :)

That's a good image mate!

Lovely colours and the blue really sets it off.

Well done (y)
Cool - Thanks Simon :)

Hi DK, great colour in this, could maybe do with a crop to bring the twig into the bottom left corner and as you say a bit more light from under
Hmmmmmm.... now that may work nicely, will try that tomorrow night if I get my work done on time (Need to get things squared up before my hols :))

Thanks Alan :)

Reflected light in the lower parts of the flower was my first observation, well, after I saw the lovely blue sky. I had a quick edit in the new Lightroom Mobile :) on my iPad and managed to bring out some of RHS shadows in the underside of the flowers,Mandy also cool it down a tad as it's quite warm. Maybe that's what it was like. :thinking:

Nevertheless it made me smile at the prospect kf some nice blues skies and colourful flowers.

Cheers.
That sounds good mate, can I see a copy of your edit :)

I did up the Saturation a tad only 5 or 6 , but the sky really was pretty damn blue, it so surprised me, just wish I had got there an hour earlier to get better light :)

A lovely Spring shot. I've not managed to get any blossom shots yet this year - it's either been too windy or a grey sky, it's lovely to see the blue sky on yours!:) DOF is spot on but I think it could be improved with some light reflecting up onto petals, but I must admit to not taking a reflector out with me as often as I should as well!!:)

You could have used this as a STEP into Spring but as a nature shot it ticks the box. The use of some reflected lighted has been mentioned but other than that the colour is nice and the focus is spot on where it needs to be

As a placeholder Dean I rather like it, lovely blue in the sky you have captured fits the theme as well.
Thanks Mandy :)

A lovely Spring shot. I've not managed to get any blossom shots yet this year - it's either been too windy or a grey sky, it's lovely to see the blue sky on yours!:) DOF is spot on but I think it could be improved with some light reflecting up onto petals, but I must admit to not taking a reflector out with me as often as I should as well!!:)
Thanks Sarah :)

Yeah the reflector shot certainly see more outings :)

Nice image with some great colours
Thanks Colin :)

Back