weekly Lorraine's 52 in 2015 - Week 24 Spiral Added

#2 by far the best. It looks like an oil painting of a Scandinavian forest. You have a good eye for a subject.

These abstract patterns are great.

thanks, it's not often the frost makes these sort of patterns, so I grabbed them before it all melted this morning - they do look very blue though

Nicely spotted and well captured Lorraine. I love the crystalline patterns ice makes. We also see some fascinating ones up the mountains where the (fairly high) winds blow the powder snow into amazing formations which can sometimes look quite similar: very leaf-like.

The colour cast is what it is - it's still monotone whether B&W, sepia or whatever... and for me that monotone helps focus on the pattern itself, so it works well.

Great start and look forward to seeing your next submission...

A very nice start, I have to agree about #2 it does look like a snow blown forest.
I like it a lot :)

Welcome aboard Lorraine and you're off to an absolutely flying start.
Those are both quite beautiful, although I agree with the general consensus that the 'forest scene' is the stronger pattern.

Yes, they are quite blue - but in the context of the subject, I think that actually works very well.
They're the type of thing that I could spend ages just gazing at and seeing different patterns.

p.s. I've added a link back to this thread to the 'pictures only' thread for you :)

Very nice! Number 2 especially.... If I didn't know any better I'd put money on it being an oil painting, you can practically see the brush strokes the longer you look at it! [emoji4]

As Harlequin says, 2 looks just like a cold forest, makes me feel chilly just looking at it

Nice patterns in the two images, the second one gets it for me though, if it was the other way up it could almost look like feathers.

Nicely spotted and well captured Lorraine. I love the crystalline patterns ice makes. We also see some fascinating ones up the mountains where the (fairly high) winds blow the powder snow into amazing formations which can sometimes look quite similar: very leaf-like.

The colour cast is what it is - it's still monotone whether B&W, sepia or whatever... and for me that monotone helps focus on the pattern itself, so it works well.

Great start and look forward to seeing your next submission...
- thanks Paul

A very nice start, I have to agree about #2 it does look like a snow blown forest.
I like it a lot :)
- thanks Cobra - I can see what everyone means about the forest

Looks like your off to a good start with your challenge, lovely patterns and two has the edge for me.
- thanks Mandy

Welcome aboard Lorraine and you're off to an absolutely flying start.
Those are both quite beautiful, although I agree with the general consensus that the 'forest scene' is the stronger pattern.

Yes, they are quite blue - but in the context of the subject, I think that actually works very well.
They're the type of thing that I could spend ages just gazing at and seeing different patterns.

p.s. I've added a link back to this thread to the 'pictures only' thread for you :)

Thank you Sarah - I'm very flattered by everyone's comments. And thanks so much for adding the link to the pictures only thread - it would probably have taken me ages to work out how to do it :)

A nice practice submission, Lorraine. Very apt for the current cold mornings. Nice patterns and a nicely taken shot.
- Thanks Stan

Very nice! Number 2 especially.... If I didn't know any better I'd put money on it being an oil painting, you can practically see the brush strokes the longer you look at it! [emoji4]
- thanks Ferg,the frost was really very deep - it did wonders for my car, it's the nicest it's ever looked:), I'm glad the shots worked out so well

As Harlequin says, 2 looks just like a cold forest, makes me feel chilly just looking at it
- thanks Martin :)

Nice patterns in the two images, the second one gets it for me though, if it was the other way up it could almost look like feathers.
- thanks John

Very nice :)

#2 made me think of feathers when I saw it.
- thanks Mark

Last edited:
Yeah, I like them, both work for me. The detail is superb and I feel #1 could handle a crop from the top. Maybe a little under exposed as well. That said, I might nip out and see what I can get tomorrow :)

Cheers.

Love #2 Lorraine it really looks like a frozen landscape (y)
- thanks Graham :)

Yeah, I like them, both work for me. The detail is superb and I feel #1 could handle a crop from the top. Maybe a little under exposed as well. That said, I might nip out and see what I can get tomorrow :)

- thanks Andy, I see what you mean about #1, there's not a lot happening at the top :) - did you manage to get any shots today?

Hi Lorraine .... what a great start ....I love both of those ....frost creates such amazing pictures doesn't it. The blue complements them perfectly .... a smashing choice for the theme.

thanks Susie :) you can get some fantastic frost patterns sometimes, makes the cold mornings worth while[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
well, it's a good job I got the camera out yesterday - there was no frost at all this morning

Great start with those 2 shots. The patterns are amazing and number 2 does it for me. I've got no chance shooting anything like that here in Spain :tumbleweed:

Great start with those 2 shots. The patterns are amazing and number 2 does it for me. I've got no chance shooting anything like that here in Spain :tumbleweed:

Thanks Jill, and the frost's pretty but the winter weather's only fun when I'm on holiday and I don't have to think about driving in it! ;)

Beautifully taken. Agree with others No 2 has the edge although some nice patterns in 1. The blueness makes the shot in light of the cold and frostiness. if you changed colours it would not look right.

Hi Lorraine & welcome to the 52's madhouse :wave:

I'm gonna have to love these shots as I had the same thought !

Trickier than you'd think trying to get good shots of the patterns created when they're on your windscreen I found.....#2 one for me as well , does indeed look like a forest of frosty tree's (y)

Nice the weather has been kind for these pattern shots this week. Picture #2 for me (y)
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

I like No. 2 as well. A really nice pattern and great detail. I like the hint of blue but it would be interesting to see what it would look like after experimenting with the white balance.

2 for me, really reminds me of a forest, though 1 does too, but with two trees in the foreground!

Welcome Lorraine

My car looked the same two mornings ago .... tried but couldn't capture it. :(

Well done.

Welcome to 2015 52s Lorraine. Two great shots to start and it's hard to choose between them, but I think #2 just has the edge :clap: With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.

2nd shot for me too, the slight blue tint just adds to it.

Thanks Colin

Beautifully taken. Agree with others No 2 has the edge although some nice patterns in 1. The blueness makes the shot in light of the cold and frostiness. if you changed colours it would not look right.

Thanks Mandy
Hi Lorraine & welcome to the 52's madhouse :wave:

I'm gonna have to love these shots as I had the same thought !

Trickier than you'd think trying to get good shots of the patterns created when they're on your windscreen I found.....#2 one for me as well , does indeed look like a forest of frosty tree's (y)

Thanks Lynne, I've just spotted your shots - gorgeous! I agree - it's not easy getting close up to these things. There were some good patterns on my car roof, but I couldn't get close enough to get anything decent - I'm way too short :(

Nice the weather has been kind for these pattern shots this week. Picture #2 for me (y)
Good Luck for your 2015 52 challenge.

Thanks Simon

I like No. 2 as well. A really nice pattern and great detail. I like the hint of blue but it would be interesting to see what it would look like after experimenting with the white balance.

Thanks Lee, I may have a play with the wb to see what happens

2 for me, really reminds me of a forest, though 1 does too, but with two trees in the foreground!

Thank you :)

Welcome Lorraine

My car looked the same two mornings ago .... tried but couldn't capture it. :(

Well done.

Thanks David, it's not the easiest thing to get a shot of, I agree. I was pretty surprised they worked out, to be honest

Welcome to 2015 52s Lorraine. Two great shots to start and it's hard to choose between them, but I think #2 just has the edge :clap: With 68 starters for the year, I don’t think any of us have a chance of commenting on every entry every week, but I hope to keep popping in to each thread at least once in a while. Good luck with the rest of the year.

Thanks Elaine :) yes, 68 is a lot of photos to comment on, so I don't think I'll be commenting on them all either. Good luck to you too - I hope you manage to complete it

Week 1 - Bliss

This was a tough one. I had a couple of ideas but I couldn't think of how to get them to work. I finally thought about how lovely it is to get your hands round a hot mug after a walk on a winter's day. I still had a few problems - I was using a tripod but I haven't got a cable release for my camera (it's now on the to buy list), and I seemed to knock the focus off pressing the shutter release even when I used the timer, so the image is a bit soft, but I think it's probably the best I can do with this one...

View attachment 27988

Hi, Lorraine, using the timer shouldn't knock the focus off :thinking: No EXIF data so can't see any camera setting.

WB looks a little off, looks a little orange.

That said, I like the composition and POV.

Looks like the link in the Photos Only thread, takes you back to the Photos Only thread. You need to add a link to this thread (y)

Good start.

Cheers.

A good start to the challenge, but the image looks soft to me and as Andy meantioned the wb is a little off.

Having said that I like the idea and it works well for the theme, now you can relax until Friday.

Good concept. I agreee with earlier comments. Despite softness some good detail showing.

Hi all, thanks for looking and commenting. I see what you mean about the white balance. I've tweaked it a bit, and this is the result - hopefully a lot less orange. -

View attachment 27996

the settings were as follows:

Nikon 18 - 105mm lens
Focal length 70mm
ISO 800
0.5 sec at f /5.6
No flash

Looks like the link in the Photos Only thread, takes you back to the Photos Only thread. You need to add a link to this thread (y)

Good start.

Cheers.

Thanks again Andy - I had a bit of trouble getting the link to work when I was first posting the photo, and I tink you must have een trying to use it then. In the end I managed to get it right and it's working fine now :)

Lorraine, I like the image and the thinking behind it. Now, if you really want to impress, any chance of capturing steam coming out of the cup???!! That would nail it for me

Back