weekly mercurius's 52 in 2014: catch up Weeks 28 - 31

So what software do you have for editing ?? A simple spot removal is all you need and it would improve the image greatly :)
Hi DK, I use LR. Does it have a tool in for this? Must admit I haven't used it before if it has got one!

Hi M

Bubbles & lots of them...mono works well :) , agree with the comments re cloning out some of the whiate marks partic toward the lh lower side

Hi M

Bubbles & lots of them...mono works well :) , agree with the comments re cloning out some of the whiate marks partic toward the lh lower side
Thanks Lynne. Here's my rough and ready edit using the LR clone and healing brush. Thanks to everyone for pushing me to find out about that and looking it up on You Tube - never used it before!

Bubble edit
by carthurjohn, on Flickr

Hi DK, I use LR. Does it have a tool in for this? Must admit I haven't used it before if it has got one!
Ooooo yes... the BEST spot removal tool, I use it LOADS

When in Develop, it is to the right of the crop/overlay tool, just click on it, move over your image, use the wheel on your mouse to change size and click away, each time you click on a new spot an adjacent circle appears that you can drag to change the cloning area..... have a play, it's a doddle (y)

<EDIT> Yep the edit looks much better !!!!

Last edited:
Well done the edit looks much better.
Thanks for the comment, Mandy.

Ooooo yes... the BEST spot removal tool, I use it LOADS

When in Develop, it is to the right of the crop/overlay tool, just click on it, move over your image, use the wheel on your mouse to change size and click away, each time you click on a new spot an adjacent circle appears that you can drag to change the cloning area..... have a play, it's a doddle (y)

<EDIT> Yep the edit looks much better !!!!
Yes, thanks for the info. I found it and then watched a tutorial on You Tube. Just have to practice now...

Week 5: Smoke

Well I managed it, after several hours of struggling with set up, lighting and focusing. I may never it again though, it was such a faff and it's so difficult to control the smoke flow. Oh well, on to next week now.

Smoke

Well done (y) if it's your first attempt at smoke I'm impressed :clap: personally, I wouldn't crop it. Having the bottom and top smoke in focus and the bit in the middle a little blurred makes for a very pleasing image to me. :)

If anything, I would have been tempted to clone out the three or four bits that aren't attached to the main smoke trails :) Edit- five bits on a recount ;) :D

Last edited:
A good smoke shot, interesting shapes and quite sharp.

That's not bad at all, I'd be tempted to crop the top bit off, as the bottom stream of smoke is excellent on it's own (y)
Thanks DK. I might have a go at that crop to see what it looks like.

Hi,
Close... brilliant shot love it :)
Bubbles... Nice one, much improved by the edit!!
Smoke ... good one well done :clap::clap:
Thank you very much, Judi, for the kind words.

A really good take on the theme, i agree with dark i think a crop off the top would do the image more justice.
Thanks Mandy

Well done (y) if it's your first attempt at smoke I'm impressed :clap: personally, I wouldn't crop it. Having the bottom and top smoke in focus and the bit in the middle a little blurred makes for a very pleasing image to me. :)

If anything, I would have been tempted to clone out the three or four bits that aren't attached to the main smoke trails :) Edit- five bits on a recount ;) :D
Yes, it's my first go at smoke. The flash was one of the most difficult bits of the challenge. I tried firing my Speedlight remotely (never done that before - this is a very educational challenge!), but it needed the pop-up flash to fire to which meant that the black background looked completely bleached out and you could hardly see any smoke.

Plan B featured my son pointing his Canon flash with a snoot on at the smoke, and firing it manually at 90 degrees to the camera. You can imagine the comedy moments that ensued as we tried manually to synchronise me pressing the shutter release and him pressing the flash tester button - that's probably why the smoke looks blue to match the air.. There were so many black frames, it's a wonder I managed to get any shots!

Thanks for the suggestion about the crop. To be honest I'm not clear which five bits you're referring to...

A good smoke shot, interesting shapes and quite sharp.
Thank you Kev.

Well it looks great to me.....I did think maybe to crop that top bit, but then that is also a really nice bit of smoke .... so I like it as it is.
Thank you Susie. I might have a go at cropping the top, just to see what it's like.

It's not easy is it - I'd agree with losing the top bit as it's not so attractive as the rest.

Well done going on to find out how to use the clone tool - it's invaluable I find! Just to loose any distracting spots that would otherwise draw the eye.

smoke plume is great - would also benefit from some practice with the clone tool.

Sounds like a fun father / son bonding session too! :)

On theme for Smoke and as said above would crop the top part like the colour.

Last edited:
On first looking at your image mercurius, I thought "I'd crop the top part off" but on having another, longer look, I feel the image works all the better for having the top part in.
What it does for me is the bottom smoke 'trail' draws my eye in, up and through until it reaches the top smoke trail which stops my view from going out of the image. It then takes me back in for another look.
Sorry if thats a bit random :D but just thought I'd come at this from a different crit perspective.
Technically, its very good too, sharp, crisp and clear but I just think its more than that. Good work i say (y)

On first looking at your image mercurius, I thought "I'd crop the top part off" but on having another, longer look, I feel the image works all the better for having the top part in.
What it does for me is the bottom smoke 'trail' draws my eye in, up and through until it reaches the top smoke trail which stops my view from going out of the image. It then takes me back in for another look.
Sorry if thats a bit random :D but just thought I'd come at this from a different crit perspective.
Technically, its very good too, sharp, crisp and clear but I just think its more than that. Good work i say (y)
Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments, Iain. I see what you are saying, but I also see the point the 'crop it' crew were making. I really can't decide now which works best!

A nice start to your 52 challenge - I think the only one that didn't grab me so far was 'Play' (plenty of people have given recommendations on how they'd change the shot up)..

Loving the reprocessed 'Line' shot and your latest take on 'Smoke' - lovely and clear and boths shots are a great take for the themes (y)

I look forward to following the rest of your progress :)

Hi M

Bubbles - like the way that you have tidies it up - still the bit bottom left that i would take out - but I like the comp and the mono - it has a really fizzing effect.
Smoke - i agree with Iain@blakester that the uncropped version is best. Still a few small marks that could do with a tidy. overall a good image for the theme and like the choice of colour.

In one comment you say that the off camera flash needed to be worked by the popup flash and that then overwhelmed the image. Don't know what equipment that you have but if you are using what Nikon call 'commander' mode, (other brands may have a different name for it) you can switch off the popup flash in the menu - it does still flash slightly but that is only the signal to the off camera flash. I don't know if this helps?

Hi M

Bubbles - like the way that you have tidies it up - still the bit bottom left that i would take out - but I like the comp and the mono - it has a really fizzing effect.
Smoke - i agree with Iain@blakester that the uncropped version is best. Still a few small marks that could do with a tidy. overall a good image for the theme and like the choice of colour.

In one comment you say that the off camera flash needed to be worked by the popup flash and that then overwhelmed the image. Don't know what equipment that you have but if you are using what Nikon call 'commander' mode, (other brands may have a different name for it) you can switch off the popup flash in the menu - it does still flash slightly but that is only the signal to the off camera flash. I don't know if this helps?
Thank you very much for all your comments. I found out yesterday that the Nikon Speedlight does work on commander mode - thus saving me another shed load of cash! Now I have to test it out. Have to confess that I am a bit flash phobic, because I really struggle to get my head round it and generally don't like what it does to colours. But the good thing about the 52 Challenge is that it pushes me out of my comfort zone.

Last edited:
Good show with smoke.

Nice clarity in most of the trails, especially the centre section. I like how e smoke draws the eye from lower left into the frame.

Cheers.

Apologies for only just getting going with comments.

Really enjoying seeing your work so far top draw pic this week for smoke (y)

Thats a great smoke shot, I havent done mine yet but if I can make it half as good as that ill be happy. I think the top corner crop as mentioned. Its sttange seeing the smoke cut in half.

Good show with smoke.

Nice clarity in most of the trails, especially the centre section. I like how e smoke draws the eye from lower left into the frame.

Cheers.
Thanks Andy. I cropped it to get that diagonal.

Nope Iain... you are WRONG :D

That crop looks excellent - Love that (y)

:naughty:
Thanks DK

Apologies for only just getting going with comments.

Really enjoying seeing your work so far top draw pic this week for smoke (y)
Thanks Simon, Appreciate your kind words.

Thats a great smoke shot, I havent done mine yet but if I can make it half as good as that ill be happy. I think the top corner crop as mentioned. Its sttange seeing the smoke cut in half.
Thanks Dan. Give it a go sir!

Hi M

no crit from on Smoke....looks perfect to me :clap::clap:
Thanks Lynne

Week 6 - Mineral

I rejected my first idea which was to feature a policeman (!), so I've had to go with this instead.

I'm not happy with the composition which strikes me as very lifeless (even though it's a still life), so would welcome any comments crits to help improve it.

Mineral-2

Back