weekly mercurius's 52 in 2014: catch up Weeks 28 - 31

Every time I think I've caught up another pic hops on ...so I just caught this one :)

I think if you just put the green stone, which looks absolutely fascinating and a glorious colour....against the russet background, it would look stunning...with them all together there is nothing really to focus the eye on, although each individual stone has its merits.

Last edited:
Week 6 - Mineral

I rejected my first idea which was to feature a policeman (!)
.............I'm intrigued :LOL:

It looks like you took this looking from straight down over the top mercurius :thinking: Some good colours and shapes to the rocks (y)

I might have been tempted to position them on the red rock surface, in such a way that the large were at the back, small at front . POV from front at a slight angle, say from right, with a nice blurry bg :)

Smoke is a great shot, lovely and crisp.
Mineral is bang on theme with lots of interesting colours.

Yep, that's an improvement to me too (y)

.............I'm intrigued :LOL:

It looks like you took this looking from straight down over the top mercurius :thinking: Some good colours and shapes to the rocks (y)

I might have been tempted to position them on the red rock surface, in such a way that the large were at the back, small at front . POV from front at a slight angle, say from right, with a nice blurry bg :)
As Phil Says (y)

<EDIT> Edit is MUCH better, adds much more depth to the image, good colours still :)

Last edited:
Smoke, very pretty. I like the varying DOF, I actually like the original version. I would go in with some editing to tidy it up, there are a few random spots (lower left and sort of lower down in the middle) and some other areas of smoke that looks like a smudge on the bottom bot. Does that make sense?

Mineral, I agree with you about the composition, it looks like they've just been thrown together! I also think the background is a little too distracting. I really like the green the purple and the gold stone, I would maybe just try and shoot those three!

thought the 2nd was by far the better when I first saw them together, well done for reshooting, and you've made a big improvement to the first effort there.

Love the colours and the shapes.

Smoke is a great shot, lovely and crisp.
Mineral is bang on theme with lots of interesting colours.
Thank you.

Fits the theme nicely I like the colours of the stones.
Thanks for your comments, Mandy. I think the new shot is an improvement of sorts.

That's loads nicer:) not so flat and the colours look really good together ... (I still think you should try the green one)
Thanks Susie. I'll leave the green one for now I think.

As Phil Says (y)

<EDIT> Edit is MUCH better, adds much more depth to the image, good colours still :)
Thank you DK for your comments.

Doh, didn't see the next page! This angle is much better, but the blue stone at the back is OOF and really draws my eye!
Marsha, many thanks for your two lots of comments. Yes, I confess, #1 was thrown together, whereas with #2 I at least tried to make more of the composition. I still think the background is a bit too distracting :( and definitely agree about the stone at the back. I should have spotted that when I was reviewing them!

Great colours in the second one, looks a better composed image as well :clap:
Thanks Mark.

Super colours in these two. I don't think they need anything to show the scale but I'd be interested to know how big/small these are.
Thanks Peter. The stones pretty much all fit into one clenched fist.

Smoke nicely done as difficult to get in focus. Like the crop (y)
#2 on the Mineral as more interest in the shot.
Thanks for your comment Michael.

thought the 2nd was by far the better when I first saw them together, well done for reshooting, and you've made a big improvement to the first effort there.

Love the colours and the shapes.
Thanks for your encouragement Graham.

Last edited:
It's been a difficult theme, many have found it difficult to get inspiration and I have to say, to me it's a pile of coloured rocks. My own efforts have been lacking in this theme and in general (with one notable exception IMHO), there has been little to inspire. I'm sure we all look forward to something a little tastier on Friday.

2nd shot is so much nicer - I think the 1st one didn't work for being taken directly over head.

Hi ya

I'm with Susie ...the bg appears to have loads of texture & is a great color....the bright green stone contrast well with that ...or if you have 3 rocks very similarly colored to the large triangle shaped one in the original shot...it tones nicely with the bg . I actually prefer the original downward shot as well though I can't quite pinpoint why :thinking:

Mineral:

The first version shot from above looks one dimensional and the lighting flat as a result. Having read Phils comments above, it looks as if these have been taken on board in your 2 composition. There is and enhance feeling of depth with the lighting and shadows more dynamic. Good work this week and some interesting opionions from all to digest... (y)

yes #2 has much more life in it, lovely colours :)
Thanks for looking, Judi.

Have to agree No2 some nice colour in it
Thanks Allan.

Hi M
On theme (y)
#2 is an improvement because of the better pov which gives some depth and better lighting to the shot. I would still consider the use of less number of stones in order to focus the attention better and reduce the number of colours.
Yes, perhaps 'less is more'! Thanks Alan.

It's been a difficult theme, many have found it difficult to get inspiration and I have to say, to me it's a pile of coloured rocks. My own efforts have been lacking in this theme and in general (with one notable exception IMHO), there has been little to inspire. I'm sure we all look forward to something a little tastier on Friday.
Thank you Martin. Wouldn't be a challenge if it wasn't difficult, I suppose!

Hi, Minerals, on theme, lovely colours but I feel a bit more work on the composition and arrangement would have improved it.

Cheers.
Yes, thanks Andy. Something I need to work on, rather than just going with my first thought.

HI Both nice images but agree with the earlier comment of the green stone I also think it would look great on its own
Ok thanks Craig.

2nd shot is so much nicer - I think the 1st one didn't work for being taken directly over head.
Great, thanks Sarah.

Good colours for Mineral and the 2nd POV is better
Thanks Kev.

Hi ya

I'm with Susie ...the bg appears to have loads of texture & is a great color....the bright green stone contrast well with that ...or if you have 3 rocks very similarly colored to the large triangle shaped one in the original shot...it tones nicely with the bg . I actually prefer the original downward shot as well though I can't quite pinpoint why :thinking:
AHHHHGHHHHH! I talked myself out of #1, Lynne!!!

Mineral:

The first version shot from above looks one dimensional and the lighting flat as a result. Having read Phils comments above, it looks as if these have been taken on board in your 2 composition. There is and enhance feeling of depth with the lighting and shadows more dynamic. Good work this week and some interesting opionions from all to digest... (y)
Jason, many thanks for your thoughtful contribution. Lots of great feedback, as ever from the 52-ers!

Hi, Sense impression, not heard of that one :)

Sense of motion, maybe.

That said, I do like ICM and I like this one. The slight angle in the movement works well.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Hi, Sense impression, not heard of that one :)

Sense of motion, maybe.

That said, I do like ICM and I like this one. The slight angle in the movement works well.

Cheers.
Sorry don't understand how this ties in with the theme

Perhaps I should have explained. I'm using 'sense impression' to mean the raw visual sensation before it's processed by the brain.

Andy, re ICM: what makes you think it was intentional?!:)

I like these OOF motion shots - very pretty.
Thanks Sarah.

Hi I think it fits with sense of movement not sure about your explanation but i do like it as an abstract image

I'm also seeing sense of movement. Not as keen on the brown patch though. The diagonal movement is a nice change from a straight up and down approach.

Back