weekly Phil-D's TP52 - 2014 week 52 Support added (archive shot)

Good composition and exposure, if I sit back a bit and use my bad eye it looks frozen as well :D

Hi Phil

Positive: Just Brilliant! No 1 for me please. This still has the super interest of the smoke and sparks while giving some context with the inclusion of yourself. A very good idea for the theme, brilliantly captured and packed full of instant appeal. Well done (y)

Time: By now you know the crit on this one which has been covered by yourself and others already. I agree with you that the composition is good here. I like the fact you've set out to practice a particular technique on this weeks theme......and I take my hat off to you for that. (y)

I must say you've pulled out some really creative ideas through recent weeks, so keep up the good work!

Last edited:
I kind of like this, would have been a great theme shot if the lorry had Dr Who on it instead of Sherlock :D

Cheers Andy, I was just grateful it didn't have Stobarts splattered all over it :D

Hi Phil.....it looks good to me.....a smashing choice in the lorry, and it looks great set against that big blue sky.....I know nothing about panning, but I am sure you have done a great job :)

Thanks Susie, I don't know a lot about panning either :oops: :$ :D

(Almost) frozen in time ;)

Well composed with room in front. I think a few inchec of top would impact a bit more.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy........almost!.........I don't see any animation in there :p :D

Good composition and exposure, if I sit back a bit and use my bad eye it looks frozen as well :D

Cheers Kev :D

Yeah I'm liking that Phil, and although it isn't pin sharp the image still works for me, such an unusual truck and the composition helps a lot... keep on practising and they will soon get there :)

Thanks DK, I'm hoping to do a few of the Thundersport GB series this year, I thought practising on a truck doing 56mph might be a bit easier
shakinghead.gif

Hi Phil

Positive: Just Brilliant! No 1 for me please. This still has the super interest of the smoke and sparks while giving some context with the inclusion of yourself. A very good idea for the theme, brilliantly captured and packed full of instant appeal. Well done (y)

Time: By now you know the crit on this one which has been covered by yourself and others already. I agree with you that the composition is good here. I like the fact you've set out to practice a particular technique on this weeks theme......and I take my hat off to you for that. (y)

I must say you've pulled out some really creative ideas through recent weeks, so keep up the good work!

Jason, again, thank you for your kind, encouraging comments, its appreciated :)

Sorry I've been a bit slow getting round other peoples 52's this week.........first sign of spring like sunny weather and I'm already behind
shakinghead.gif

Hi Phil

I love how these trucks are painted up , the detail in some of them if spectacular :)

Maybe not the best techincally but it works....space to drive in to , a difficult angle to pan but you caught it just about right.....:) I'd probably have lost the light pole......:coat:

Hi Phil

Time - bit of a shoehorn for me altho when title is included it hangs together better. I would have preferred to see the words on the front in focus as well as/instead of the painted images.

Thanks Alan, I was trying for the front but missed the focus point
shakinghead.gif
:D

Hi Phil

I love how these trucks are painted up , the detail in some of them if spectacular :)

Maybe not the best techincally but it works....space to drive in to , a difficult angle to pan but you caught it just about right.....:) I'd probably have lost the light pole......:coat:

:wave: Thanks Lynne, I did actually get rid of one that was sticking out above the truck.........didn't think about the other :thinking: :)

Panning shots they a nightmare done the british gp last year must have took 300 shots panning and only a hand full looked ok

I think you have done well :)

Thanks Craig

Apologies..............its another shell :p :D

Had another idea, but not going to get time to do it.......think I'm going to struggle with a re-shoot too :banghead:
Took this using a Raynox 250 so a very shallow dof (adds - learn how to stack images to list of things to do)

Had to manual focus with being so close, can't decide if it looks a little soft
dunno1.gif
............. :thinking:..........I've had it a while, I buy these things then don't seem to use them much :D

Swirl

TP52 Week 11 Swirl
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Nice image although as you say maybe needs a touch more focus. Not too much more though as I like the effect you've achieved. I might be tempted to have put the centre of the swirl a bit more to the left on the third although that might not have been possible depending on the amount of shell on the right hand side.

Nice image although as you say maybe needs a touch more focus. Not too much more though as I like the effect you've achieved. I might be tempted to have put the centre of the swirl a bit more to the left on the third although that might not have been possible depending on the amount of shell on the right hand side.

Thanks Peter, the only way I could have done it was to crop some off the left and possibly a bit off the bottom. I did think about it but decided to go with the whole image.

Its actually a small snail shell about three quarters of an inch long, was hoping to find one with a snail still attached but think they're all in hiding, waiting for mi bedding plants to go in :bat:

Nice swirl! As for focus you could sort that out in PS with a High-Pass filter - usually works a treat for me when I need to sharpen an image (y)

Cheers Simon

HI there nice swirls and on theme as mentioned above slightly OOF and maybe a bit too centred?

Cheers Craig

I think that's a great detailed and well coloured shot of a shell, agree a bit more to the left would have helped... but hey ho.

Have to disagree about "soft", the narrow section that's in focus is plenty sharp, just the shallow DOF that gives the beautiful oof-ness to the outher areas might be giving the impression of soft. But focus is on the centre of the swirl which is where the eye gets drawn to.

Agree HP filter would be good for sharpening up this type of image as it sharpens edges or high local contrast areas.... areas of blur it leaves alone (mostly), you can use this to good effect in conjunction with a layer mask.

(y)

Swirl - fits the theme nice shell with some nice detail but I do feel it's a tiny bit soft looking. But good use with the old raynox 250 non the less.

Thanks Mandy

I think that's a great detailed and well coloured shot of a shell, agree a bit more to the left would have helped... but hey ho.

Have to disagree about "soft", the narrow section that's in focus is plenty sharp, just the shallow DOF that gives the beautiful oof-ness to the outher areas might be giving the impression of soft. But focus is on the centre of the swirl which is where the eye gets drawn to.

Agree HP filter would be good for sharpening up this type of image as it sharpens edges or high local contrast areas.... areas of blur it leaves alone (mostly), you can use this to good effect in conjunction with a layer mask.

(y)

Thanks Graham, I keep looking at, sometimes it looks ok, next time it looks oof :confused: I did wonder if it was an effect cause by the Raynox and very shallow dof :thinking:

And I'm still guilty of not learning more PP techniques, 5 months into E11 and the only two things I use are ACR and the cloning tool :rolleyes:

Hi Phil ....I agree about the focus, it looks just in the right place to me. With the Raynox 250 the point of focus is quite tiny and you need a very steady hand, or did you use a tripod.
Nice and swirly, and spot on for the theme.

Thanks Susie, yes, used a tripod, think it was the Raynox I should have left off :D

Apologies..............its another shell :p :D
And a damn ugly one at that too :LOL:

Well ok... not as ugly as mine :coat:

I think you have just about enough DoF, but a tad more would harm the image and make it a bit sharper ??... nicely lit (presuming the top and bottom left corners are dark shell and not shadow), bringing out good detail, all in all, it takes the mind of a genius to pick a shell for this theme :pompous:

Hi Phil

ooooh....I'm quite partial to a close up shell image so you're on to a winner from me to start with :) looking at the bigger version on flickr I reckon focus just needed shifting a mm or so downwards to be slap bang in the centre of the top of where the spiral starts ( does that make any sense? ) ,plenty of detail , like the crop though again , maybe a smidge more on the bottom , a smidge less on the top & smidge less to the lhs.........I like Smidge :D

As for pp.....I've been playing with it for 4 years........still not really using it to it's full...just keep messing around with it :)

Had one or two ideas for this weeks theme but thought I'd go with this. Its been more cloudy than sunny here today, but as I pushed mi bike out of the garage, the sun came out, not for long, but just long enough to get a few shots. :cool:

Taken hand held, laid on mi belly. Focus was on the split link, it could have been further back on the sprocket, but I was trying not to make it too obvious :thinking:

I can't believe how mucky the rear rim and hub look, its been off road and covered up all winter, :confused: but with only a short window of sun, I didn't have time to clean them
shakinghead.gif

It's well crop, I'm a little unsure about composition , possibly should have tried from the front, looking back towards the sprocket with the chain leading in from the bottom left corner :thinking:

Edit- 2nd image added lower down, cheers :)

Linked by the split link

Linked
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
And a damn ugly one at that too :LOL:

Well ok... not as ugly as mine :coat:

I think you have just about enough DoF, but a tad more would harm the image and make it a bit sharper ??... nicely lit (presuming the top and bottom left corners are dark shell and not shadow), bringing out good detail, all in all, it takes the mind of a genius to pick a shell for this theme :pompous:

Thanks DK :D ..........yes, its all shell in the image, no shadow :)

Hi Phil

ooooh....I'm quite partial to a close up shell image so you're on to a winner from me to start with :) looking at the bigger version on flickr I reckon focus just needed shifting a mm or so downwards to be slap bang in the centre of the top of where the spiral starts ( does that make any sense? ) ,plenty of detail , like the crop though again , maybe a smidge more on the bottom , a smidge less on the top & smidge less to the lhs.........I like Smidge :D

As for pp.....I've been playing with it for 4 years........still not really using it to it's full...just keep messing around with it :)

:wave: Lynne, thank you, yes it makes sense :) ...........is a smidge metric or imperial :p :D

My my that chain looks a little on the dry side to me........ Erm moving on you pinched my idea lol I was going to do that with my bike lol.
I am afraid I like the idea but I feel the point of view is not really working for me I feel maybe a different angle may work better.

I like the chain shot...

...exits stage left now trying to think of another subject for the theme.

A good idea for the theme, but as others have said the angle doesn't do it any favours. A pity after the trouble you went to in order to get the shot - hope you had something dry and comfy to lie on ;)

Hi Phil...well someone has to be different :confused:...I looked at the pic and had already decided to say I like the angle....I like the curve of the chain leading away into the distance....I think if it was cropped a bit from the top it would really emphasise the chain. Good choice for the theme :)

Hi Phil :)

What a great idea :D

Sorry but going to have to start with crit, It's possibly at the correct angle, but my eyes want to see verticals and they all look off to me, and the in focus links are too low in the frame, even way below the thirds line - I'm liking the close in shot and the DoF, the lighting too is catching some great detail in the links :)

<EDIT> Reading others comments after my post, I agree with Lynne... more on the bottom, and a bit off the top... sounding like a Barber now, anything for the weekend sir :pompous:

Last edited:
My my that chain looks a little on the dry side to me........ Erm moving on you pinched my idea lol I was going to do that with my bike lol.
I am afraid I like the idea but I feel the point of view is not really working for me I feel maybe a different angle may work better.

Nope, its an 'O' ring chain that's just been cleaned and brushed with oil, its actually blathered :p Thanks for the comments on the image though, jury's still out for me on pov :thinking::)

Like the shell shot and the focus looks fine to me.

Nice idea with the bike chain just agree that maybe from a different angle.

Thanks Michael

I like the chain shot...

...exits stage left now trying to think of another subject for the theme.

Cheers Martin

A good idea for the theme, but as others have said the angle doesn't do it any favours. A pity after the trouble you went to in order to get the shot - hope you had something dry and comfy to lie on ;)

Thanks Elaine, dry yes,..... comfy .......just mi belly :D

Hi Phil...well someone has to be different :confused:...I looked at the pic and had already decided to say I like the angle....I like the curve of the chain leading away into the distance....I think if it was cropped a bit from the top it would really emphasise the chain. Good choice for the theme :)

Thanks Susie, it is already cropped in fairly heavily, not sure it would stand any more, but I certainly see what you mean :)

That's a good idea for linked, as others have mentioned not sure if the angle is working or not. Point of focus seems a bit off for me too

Sorry :oops: :$:exit:

Simon, no need to be sorry :) I focused on the split link then recomposed slightly, no doubt if could be off, looking on flickr could focus actually be on the 2nd link to the left of the split link? :thinking:

Hi Phil,

Swirl.. I like your shell it looks ok focus wise to me but me eyes are not that good these days (y)
Linked.... like Mand(y)y says a bit dry there, good idea spot on focus

Thanks Judi, :) ........I'm amazed it looks dry, as mentioned to Mandy, it's been cleaned and had a damned good brushing with oil :D

Last edited:
Hi Phil :)

What a great idea :D

Sorry but going to have to start with crit, It's possibly at the correct angle, but my eyes want to see verticals and they all look off to me, and the in focus links are too low in the frame, even way below the thirds line - I'm liking the close in shot and the DoF, the lighting too is catching some great detail in the links :)

<EDIT> Reading others comments after my post, I agree with Lynne... more on the bottom, and a bit off the top... sounding like a Barber now, anything for the weekend sir :pompous:

Cheers Dk,..... great minds n'all that :LOL: Think its just the bike leaned over on its side stand that gives the effect of not being straight, but I certainly can see what you mean :)

Yes, very low focus point, was unsure if it worked or not :thinking: I could have cropped it so the focus was more on the thirds but just wasn't happy with it there either :)

works well enough Phil - nice light caught on the chain there, bringing out some nice glisteny bits on the chain.

composition works well with the chain being in light and most other bits in shadow.. bright patch under would be the only slight issue.... maybe a bit of something dark held there if you'd noticed it at the time. Not a biggie though. (y)

Swirl - good subject and I like it just the way you've shot it.

Linked - going to sound like a heretic here, but the composition doesn't work for me. Perhaps a different angle with less distracting background, especially the lower part?

Swirl - focus looks ok to me with plenty of fall off in the dof. good colour. Perhaps a bit too central in the frame
Linked - good idea and ok with the comp. That bit of white and green at the bottom is offputting. Probably could have shot slightly higher and included the full circle of chain?

Nice idea to pick out the link pin on the chain. Cropping has been mentioned - I think you could go as far as losing the top half of the image and it would still work.

works well enough Phil - nice light caught on the chain there, bringing out some nice glisteny bits on the chain.

composition works well with the chain being in light and most other bits in shadow.. bright patch under would be the only slight issue.... maybe a bit of something dark held there if you'd noticed it at the time. Not a biggie though. (y)

Thanks Graham, kind words :) The light patch under the bike is concrete and the green patch is grass growing up through.....ya know, I never even noticed them
shakinghead.gif

I'll be honest and say I wasn't really 100% happy with it from the start. Cropping it where I did broke all the rules, focus point too low, composition :thinking: The more I look at it the less I like it, to the point where I think its my worst submission to my 52 so far
shakinghead.gif
..........Its made me look at the other few shots I took and I've edited another image, I'll add it after this post :)

Swirl - good subject and I like it just the way you've shot it.

Linked - going to sound like a heretic here, but the composition doesn't work for me. Perhaps a different angle with less distracting background, especially the lower part?

Thanks for the feedback mercurius, as mentioned above, I did feel it broke all the rules but went with it regardless :rolleyes::D

Swirl - focus looks ok to me with plenty of fall off in the dof. good colour. Perhaps a bit too central in the frame
Linked - good idea and ok with the comp. That bit of white and green at the bottom is offputting. Probably could have shot slightly higher and included the full circle of chain?

Thanks Alan

Nice idea to pick out the link pin on the chain. Cropping has been mentioned - I think you could go as far as losing the top half of the image and it would still work.

Thanks Peter

Having taken on board the comments and not being happy with the image miself, I've had another look at what I shot and given this one a quick edit.

The bg on the left is a little distracting, its funny how you can become blind to things that are there and seen every day ..........think the phrase 'you can't polish a turd' springs to mind :D

:thinking: I must try harder next week :thinking:

Linked 2
by Phil D 245, on Flickr

Last edited:
I was going to suggest a similar perspective when I saw your first photograph. Tne detail on the near section of the chain is much better.

Cleaner BG woould help, eother resposition the bike ro black card.

Looks like a nice bike :)

Cheers

Back