weekly Posiview's TP52 for 2014 Week 52 Support added and FINISHED :)

Hi Andy - Step - good gentle humour and a quirky take on the theme. well handled - perhaps agree with Graham that top of step/rope should be on - but no great point.

Step - :clap::banana::banana: is all i can really offer for this, good fun take on the theme. I myself cant find anything wrong with it, good work.

Two great images Andy, both well thought out and executed (y)

Thanks, all. It's good to inject a bit of humour now and again :)

Cheers.

A nice take on the theme always good to see something different (y)

Link: I really like that Andy. The lighting and balance of light / dark is perfect. The catchlight in the eyes finishes it off for me too. Really is a nice picture and one to cherish. I am sure Isabelle will look fondly on this in years to come.

Step: Just brilliant. Creativity and execution at its best! Love the textures and colours in the steps, ladder (with broken rung), text bubble with message that made me laugh :) and the little figures with perfect placement. Brialliant stuff Andy! I like the ambience as is and suspect being shot at daytime will take away from this.

Good stuff all round and most inspirational (y)

Link - great portrait, well lit. Like the expression on your daughter's face. Wonder what she was thinking.

Step - looks more like an illustration than a photograph. I can see it's on theme, but doesn't appeal I'm afraid.

I like the idea and the humour of this. The broken rung is a nice touch. A hint of a shadow from the characters may have helped give more depth to the image. Nothing too strong though.

Hi Andy,
A creative and fun take on the theme (y)
i like the thinking behind this, not a literal take on the theme which is very refreshing. Good work matey :)

Link: I really like that Andy. The lighting and balance of light / dark is perfect. The catchlight in the eyes finishes it off for me too. Really is a nice picture and one to cherish. I am sure Isabelle will look fondly on this in years to come.

Step: Just brilliant. Creativity and execution at its best! Love the textures and colours in the steps, ladder (with broken rung), text bubble with message that made me laugh :) and the little figures with perfect placement. Brialliant stuff Andy! I like the ambience as is and suspect being shot at daytime will take away from this.

Good stuff all round and most inspirational (y)

Cheers, Jason, rally appreciate the time you took for he feedback (y)

Link - great portrait, well lit. Like the expression on your daughter's face. Wonder what she was thinking.

Step - looks more like an illustration than a photograph. I can see it's on theme, but doesn't appeal I'm afraid.

Cheers, no worries on #2. There is a fine line in photography where adding things such as text might not appeal.

I like the idea and the humour of this. The broken rung is a nice touch. A hint of a shadow from the characters may have helped give more depth to the image. Nothing too strong though.

Cheers. It's actually 2 exposures blended. Each single photograph did have a shadow but the 'lighten' blend in PS CC removed them.

Cheers.

Hi Andy,
A creative and fun take on the theme (y)
i like the thinking behind this, not a literal take on the theme which is very refreshing. Good work matey :)

Thanks. My thought process after so many posts is, "what is the obvious....?" The I try and go for something different.

Cheers.

Great portrait Andy, well considered mono conversion it works. Lighting is nice although my only crit is that you've slightly lost the catch light in her right eye (left as we look at it) moving the light source only a little more towards camera right you would have nailed it.

Step, whilst it's always nice to see something different I don't think that this is up to your usual standards. I'm not really feeling it tbh and I can't put my finger on what it is that I don't like about it BUT good creativity nontheless (y)

Great portrait Andy, well considered mono conversion it works. Lighting is nice although my only crit is that you've slightly lost the catch light in her right eye (left as we look at it) moving the light source only a little more towards camera right you would have nailed it.

Step, whilst it's always nice to see something different I don't think that this is up to your usual standards. I'm not really feeling it tbh and I can't put my finger on what it is that I don't like about it BUT good creativity nontheless (y)

Cheers, I'm happy with the portrait. I'll remember the catchligh suggestion in future.

Yeah, I'd agree about Step. There are quite a few ways I could have improved this. One for a reshoot.

Cheers.

In the back garden, in the dark, with head torch on.....in my slippers...this was fun :)

I might have another go when it's light.

Step.

Hahaaaaa love that mate :clap: I can imagine you doing it too :D

Gave me a big smile I really needed tonight :)

I thought, "what the hell...!".

It's #2 for me. I removed the room in PS but quite like, it adds to the weirdness of the photograph. I'd rather have used a longer lens but room isn't big enough and the neighbours have children so the back garden was out of the question :)

Cheers.

Photographs below so there is no accidental viewing.

Last edited:
Hi, well what to say :thinking: the second one is a very good pic I like the lines of the room converging behind you, I agree about it adding to the pic
I don't think it would have looked as good in a garden setting, there is something quite eccentric about it where it is.
The first one from a crit point of view is a little dark

Bloody good work sir :notworthy: :clap:

I am now off to bleach my eyes :ROFLMAO:

Hi Andy - #2 is a very good shot.(y) The room has a very weird feel to it -- I think that it is the perspective, the lack of detail at the back (tho hinted at) and the bare floor.
Well lit and a well struck pose - the comp holds the attention and yet there is detail at the rear that is intriguing. An interesting take on the theme.
Much easier to look at then I thought from all your advanced publicity - but that is like saying a storm force gale is better than a hurricane. :)

Interesting, strange, scary...................thankfully unarousing :D

2nd image works better for me too Andy (y), lighting works well, being able to see the room (again thankfully) draws the eye ;)

Thanks, all. I've removed #1 as it's way too dark when viewing on my work's PC. Both look OK on my laptop.

I might brighten it up a little.

I'll respond to FB individually later.

Cheers and I won't say what I was going to do :)

Wow Andy... The lengths you will go to for your art!

Super job, *no commenting on the subject* ;), lighting works well, placement in the room is exceptional, esp with the lines of the coving pointing in to your head. Diagonals of the floor and the walls converging behind you is inspired.

Excellence.

:clap:

Ooo err Andy!

I didn't want to look at it for too long, but from what I did see the lighting is great, really sets the mood and again a good mono conversion.

Umm yeah for more FB I would need to go back and look again so that's your lot for now Mr :p lol.

I am now off to bleach my eyes :ROFLMAO:
This :p

Ooooo er that's very natural indeed lovely image made me :oops: :$ A little critique I will do my best to think of some. But I am drawn in to working out what your tattoos are ( I love tattoos )...............

Erm crit time well it fits the theme, Image is well composed and nicely thought out. Image seems dark but I am on my iPad to be fair, so will look again when on my PC.

Well there I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep when Peter started laughing and said wait till you see what Andys been upto, ipad thrown in my face and what do I see but a pic of you!!:)
A brilliant idea and well taken. I like the lighting and don't think it's too dark. I also like the setting and am soo pleased you didn't scare the neighbours kids by going outside!!:D I'm just a little worried about what you're going to take next!!:confused:

Lol.....nice take on the theme, regardless off the main subject the lighting and background look great

HI Andy

I managed to see your 1st image ....& thats the one I preferred , though both are really top notch .

The #1 one .....not sure why but I liked the total darkness with just enough light in the right places , very moody,dark & almost emotional....hard to describe but it hit the spot for me.....superb work matey :clap::clap:
The image you've left up is also excellent , all the points mentioned above I fully agree with but it doesn't have the same power as the 1st

Good moody style, just a little too dark for me although with a touch more light it may not have the impact.

Nice positioning with the corner behind you and enough detail there to make me wonder whats there.

Very good (y)

Thanks for all the feedback.

I'd like to say it was a hard photograph to take, but it wasn't. Even the thought of photographing and publicising a naked photograph of myself didn't bother me.

Main issues were getting the symmetry right, trying to produce a photograph where the lighting would look OK on a variety if machines....and finally, keeping the noise down so Jackie didn't come downstairs and catch me :asshat: :geek:

Cheers.

Spectacularly different and one I am pleased to see as 'nature/natural' is such a broad subject that also limits the possibiites IMHO.

I like this picture and the first one I've been really keen to comment on for this theme. To get the full impact of this image requires going to the Flickr original and going full screen which shows the detail.

My crit in this image is the height of the camera. When I look at the picture I find I am unconciously trying to get a higher view, trying to get the face as the subject but still coming down to a picture of large hands on knees. This would be great but the hands and knees are not well-lit enough to be the subject of the image whereas the less significant face is.

It is still a great picture and I give it 85%, change either the lighting emphasis or the aspect and it would hit 95% for me as an image I like to see.

Spectacularly different and one I am pleased to see as 'nature/natural' is such a broad subject that also limits the possibiites IMHO.

I like this picture and the first one I've been really keen to comment on for this theme. To get the full impact of this image requires going to the Flickr original and going full screen which shows the detail.

My crit in this image is the height of the camera. When I look at the picture I find I am unconciously trying to get a higher view, trying to get the face as the subject but still coming down to a picture of large hands on knees. This would be great but the hands and knees are not well-lit enough to be the subject of the image whereas the less significant face is.

It is still a great picture and I give it 85%, change either the lighting emphasis or the aspect and it would hit 95% for me as an image I like to see.

Cheers, Martin.

The height of the tripod was a real issue and I had it up and down. The issue I had when it was higher was that I had to the tilt the camera down and this created all manner of distortions. As it is, the camera is straight on.

I also had the flash at different positions and was aware of the lighting issues. Unfortunatey by this time I was very tired so had to call it a day. Wish I had a bigger room as well :)

Cheers.

I can appreciate the dilemma. Certainly I think your room size is the problem as if you could have got further back and used a longer focal length it would have made the subject more in proportion. That said, that may also have removed the impact of the image so all-told it's a good job done.

Well there I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep when Peter started laughing and said wait till you see what Andys been upto, ipad thrown in my face and what do I see but a pic of you!!:)
A brilliant idea and well taken. I like the lighting and don't think it's too dark. I also like the setting and am soo pleased you didn't scare the neighbours kids by going outside!!:D I'm just a little worried about what you're going to take next!!:confused:
I'm obvious going to have to publicaly deny that I usually lie in bed looking at pictures of Andy naked. :eek: I'm just glad he kept his arms and legs closed :wideyed:

Andy I have to say this is brilliant. Great imagination, let alone bottle, to create this. I think it's great. My initial thought was that it needed brightening but after relooking I think not. The darkness brings that air of mystery to add to the obvious question of why you are sitting there with no clothes on. Superb.

Thank, Peter, appreciate the feedback.

The brightness did cause me some consternation. I did like the first one I posted, where I was isolated but on reviewing it this removed all the context, the living room, IMO, is as important as the subject.

Cheers.

The fundamental narrative of my Natural submission is....Pride.

Everything from the child at school who gets a bronze metal and stands as if they had won a gold medal, to the adult on the (and I know it's an advert), Southern Comfort advert linky he's a little chubby but walks as if he were Adonis.

But...and at the risk of labouring the point, one if may favourite pride photographs is this one linky I cannot look at this one and not smile.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
The fundamental narrative of my Natural submission is....Pride.

Everything from the child at school who gets a bronze metal and stands as if they had won a gold medal, to the adult on the (and I know it's an advert), Southern Comfort advert linky he's a little chubby but walks as if he were Adonis.

But...and at the risk of labouring the point, one if may favourite pride photographs is this one linky I cannot look at this one and not smile.

Cheers all.

I looked, and indeed I smiled.

Back