weekly Posiview's TP52 for 2014 Week 52 Support added and FINISHED :)

Hi ya

hoping you've chilled a bit since the POTY results came out....there's absolutely nothing wrong with your photography !

As I know you I feel I can say exactly how I feel about your Swirl image..........

no doubting your skill with image stacking but hell fire...that's one helluva lot of work...you've said it yourself on Peter's image....keep it simple..... the framing works as does the placement of the thing ( not sure what it's called ?)

The shadow is good & helps to ground the image , I'm not sure on the connection...yes those things swirl when falling from a tree so is it implied Swirl ? The processing seems very harsh , maybe over sharpened particularly on the shadow as it seems to very noisey ?

Hopefully you're still talking to me after the above :oops: :$

Hi Andy,
I am just getting around to commenting on threads as having been away all week and only had my iPad, I waited until home to have a proper look.
Your submission for swirl is certainly on theme on a couple of counts, there are swirls along the seed and also as lynne mentioned, implied swirl as they fall from the tree.
Technically very good too with your focus stacking, I can't see any of the oof bits you mentioned. It does appear a little over-sharpened, i agree.

All that said, to offer critique beyond the 52, I feel it needs a little something else to lift the image. Context? Its a natural object but on an unnatural background, it does jar a little against the stark white.
I feel the 52 does help in shooting to a theme, that skill can be transferred over into the POTY but the difference is, thats a competition not a challenge like the 52 so I think we must push ourselves that little bit more to meet the brief of the competition. We can push each other along in the 52 and I believe that will help us in the POTY.

There is still a long way to go in both the 52 and the POTY so I believe starting with honest, more in depth critique will only serve to help us along. Cheers

Lots of detail there. I've not done any stacking but 11 hours wow that's some real dedication. The OOF bits you mention don't jump out at you so aren't really an issue. Good composition using the diagonal to full effect and my only uber crit would be the odd speck on the BG other wise excellent work (y)

Hi Andy, well done for 'thinking out of the box' this week! You have captured so much detail in this one. Like you said there is the odd bit oof but hardly noticable. I've not tried stacking much, Peter bought me a velbon head for the tripod to help with stacking - after seeing your shot I really must dust it off and have a go!!:)

Time - street scene version for me, though I share your anxiety about photographing in a public space. One of the only times I have done it I was almost savaged by a mad street singer who threatened with the police and God knows what else.

Swirl - agree that it doesn't quite work out of context against that stark white background.

Hi Andy
Time - the image does not do a lot for me I am sorry to say - but if the 'Challenge' element was to get out and put up a tripod in the middle of a city street :nailbiting: then you have succeeded completely(y)
Swirl - well on theme and lots of detail and good colour. Agree with Iain that the stark white, high key effect seems out of place for such a natural subject.

Here is my daughter Isabelle Georgia Sheader with her Grandad George Sheader who she never met. They have very similar temperaments and a real passion for the seaside and al things related.

I don't usually do portraits and Isabelle, like most children, soon gets bored :)

Cheers.

Just read all the feedback and it's very much appreciated.

Context has been mentioned and I see where you are coming from. Main issue was when put in context, that is amongst foliage, it tended to blend in too much because of the similar tones, moreso when converted to B&G. Also, I'm partial to this kind of pure botanical photography...hope this doesn't sound too pretentious :)

I'm aware of the noise and this was due, I think, to the fact my laptop is having a wobbly and seems to be struggling with RAW files.

Yup, Lynne, implied Swirl (y)

OKeydokey, wonder what Friday will bring.

Cheers all.

Isabelle looks a little moody and sad at the same time. (or maybe bored ;) )

You have lit her face nicely to emphasise this.

Well exposed and a good fit for the theme although I have to say Isabelle looks a little annoyed. :(

verry niiicely done... love the effect the lighting gives, can't quite work out what the expression and the pose (holding of the picture) are actually saying to me... but that tends to hold my gaze on the shot for longer.

certainly one that you'd want to keep coming back to look at again.

(y)

Isabelle looks a little moody and sad at the same time. (or maybe bored ;) )

You have lit her face nicely to emphasise this.

Moody and bored, no thats just about right. Cost me a fiver as well....bloomin' mercenary she is :)

That's a lovely Picture, a great look you have caught on Isabelle's face, great eye contact and nice lighting... Crit, nah none from me (y)

Cheers. Every time I was about to take a photograph she would pull a face or laugh :bat:

Well exposed and a good fit for the theme although I have to say Isabelle looks a little annoyed. :(

As above, she as getting a little fed up :)

verry niiicely done... love the effect the lighting gives, can't quite work out what the expression and the pose (holding of the picture) are actually saying to me... but that tends to hold my gaze on the shot for longer.

certainly one that you'd want to keep coming back to look at again.

(y)

Thanks. I was trying to get her to do a reflective and slightly melancholic look, but try explaining that to a 10 year old who wants to get the TV on :mad:

This is one of the few occasions where I took my time with the lighting....soft box @ 45 degrees to her right and 45 degreesish up with a white surface to bunch light into her face.

Cheers all.

Last edited:
That's a super portrait Andy. The straight one pose and slightly chin down-look compliment each other. The mono conversion suits this especially given the photo. It's been well lit. I'm guessing the main light to the right (of the photographer) and maybe a reflector on the left?

I'm struggling to think what the style of this photo reminds me of. I almost want to say something like photos of Amish or Quaker communities in the States but after some searching I'm struggling putting my finger on it. Any inspirations? I know how much browsing you do.

Hi Andy....I really like this ......the way it fills the whole frame, the pose......the hands are perfect, , the lighting and also the expression...is perfect because it's totally unreadable .... I can't tell what she's really thinking ....the look in her eyes is quite haunting.....I love it :)

Last edited:
I thought she had a picture of you Andy. The family likeness is uncanny.

I really like this, the lighting, the pose, the look on her face, the dof/focus and the conversion are all top draw stuff.

You should allow yourself to be proud of this one Mr S. It is a bloomin corker, what a way to make a comeback! :clap:

Chests :cow:

That's a super portrait Andy. The straight one pose and slightly chin down-look compliment each other. The mono conversion suits this especially given the photo. It's been well lit. I'm guessing the main light to the right (of the photographer) and maybe a reflector on the left?

I'm struggling to think what the style of this photo reminds me of. I almost want to say something like photos of Amish or Quaker communities in the States but after some searching I'm struggling putting my finger on it. Any inspirations? I know how much browsing you do.

Really must get my screen calibrated. There is slightly more light on the LHS on my laptop.

Inspiration, woul it be pretentious of me to say Annie Leibovitz :)

Cheers.

Hi Andy....I really like this ......the way it fills the whole frame, the pose......the hands are perfect, , the lighting and also the expression...is perfect because it's totally unreadable .... I can't tell what she's really thinking ....the look in her eyes is quite haunting.....I love it :)

Appreciate the FB. This is one of my favouruites of recent months.

love it!! keep coming back to look again, great lighting and pose (y)(y)

Thanks, Judi (y)

Linked - lovely portrait shot of your daughter, excellent work. Love her expression on her face, composition and lighting is good.

Thanks for positive FB. Might have to invest in some better lighting equipment :)

I thought she had a picture of you Andy. The family likeness is uncanny.

I really like this, the lighting, the pose, the look on her face, the dof/focus and the conversion are all top draw stuff.

You should allow yourself to be proud of this one Mr S. It is a bloomin corker, what a way to make a comeback! :clap:

Chests :cow:

Chests, Brian. Yeah, I was in a bit of a dip last week but feel better now (y)

Hi Andy
Linked - top shot. On theme, good pose, lovely thoughtful expression, contact with the camera and super lighting. I agree with Brian 'You should allow yourself to be proud of this one Mr S. It is a bloomin corker, what a way to make a comeback! :clap:'

Cheers, bud, appreciate it. I might get a print of this one.

Cheers all (y) of to see if wek 13 is up :)

Really must get my screen calibrated. There is slightly more light on the LHS on my laptop.

Inspiration, woul it be pretentious of me to say Annie Leibovitz :)

Cheers.
No need to calibrate Andy. I wasn't suggested what it needed. I think it's spot on. I was just wondering what the lighting set up was.

Pretentious - no. We all get inspiration from different sources and there's absolutely no problem with getting that from one of the big names or portraiture. I have a long list of bookmarks in Firefox of photographers' websites that I go to when I'm looking to get inspiration. One of my current favourites is Peter Hurley. Track him down on Youtube as well. He is a bit in-your-face-american but his lighting and posing techniques are well worth watching - especially the headshots ones.

I will just echo what everyone has said above Andy, great work(y)

I am not going to offer any critique as I think it is a very accomplished piece of portraiture.
What I will say though is that it is a vey thought provoking image, it doesn't tell a story as such, more forces the viewer to ask questions which is equally as good as telling a story.
Without your backstory, the viewer would be left wondering about the people in the image, which I feel engages the viewer in the scene, catching and holding their attention.

That may seem a little deep but thats just how I see it, there is no denying your talent as a photographer but I feel this is a step up for you Andy. There is a quality about the portrait undoubtedly, I do hope you get this printed, and large. Good work Andy, seriously good work. (y)

No need to calibrate Andy. I wasn't suggested what it needed. I think it's spot on. I was just wondering what the lighting set up was.

Pretentious - no. We all get inspiration from different sources and there's absolutely no problem with getting that from one of the big names or portraiture. I have a long list of bookmarks in Firefox of photographers' websites that I go to when I'm looking to get inspiration. One of my current favourites is Peter Hurley. Track him down on Youtube as well. He is a bit in-your-face-american but his lighting and posing techniques are well worth watching - especially the headshots ones.

I've seen a few if his vidoes and he does produce some fine work.

Light set up, well, I rarely take so long to set up my lighting. For this it was cheap soft box 45 degrees to Isabelle's left and sameish up. White board below here face.

Linked is good Andy - love the mood you captured in the eye's

Thanks, moody, yeah even after negotiating a £5.00 fee she still got bored after 10 minutes :)

I will just echo what everyone has said above Andy, great work(y)

I am not going to offer any critique as I think it is a very accomplished piece of portraiture.
What I will say though is that it is a vey thought provoking image, it doesn't tell a story as such, more forces the viewer to ask questions which is equally as good as telling a story.
Without your backstory, the viewer would be left wondering about the people in the image, which I feel engages the viewer in the scene, catching and holding their attention.

That may seem a little deep but thats just how I see it, there is no denying your talent as a photographer but I feel this is a step up for you Andy. There is a quality about the portrait undoubtedly, I do hope you get this printed, and large. Good work Andy, seriously good work. (y)

Iain, that is a cracking piece of commentary. We all have thoughts about the photographs we take...look at the landscape section. It's the being there, the smells, the sounds and the visceral emotions.

We often, as I did with this photograph, assume people will "get it" and feel, how I felt. None of those who look at this photograph know my dad, so they can't get the emotional connection....or maybe they can. Who knows.

Cracking feedback, Iain (y)

BTW, print ordered yesterday and arrived today :)

Cheers.

Hi Andy, excellent portrait the lighting is spot on, I like her moody expression, what ind of expression does £10 buy
excellent work Andy :clap:

That's a cracking portrait. Caught the expression perfectly. Really suits with the frame being filled, not surprised you ordered a print of this one (y)

Hi Andy, excellent portrait the lighting is spot on, I like her moody expression, what ind of expression does £10 buy
excellent work Andy :clap:

Cheers, Michael and Allan, I'm sure I'll be using Isabelle again in the future.

HI Andy

made it here finally !

Portrait for LInked.....can't say anything except.......:notworthy::notworthy::clap::clap: just bloomin perfect to me , beautifully lit , great connection twixt model & photo , love Isabelle's expression .....top work...you'r ability with lighting is really something to be proud of !

Step....good to see some humour , can't really crit as failing to see anything wrong with it :clap:

interesting Andy. I think it needs to have the top of the step in shot though.

Snapped up chopsticks??

HI Andy

made it here finally !

Portrait for LInked.....can't say anything except.......:notworthy::notworthy::clap::clap: just bloomin perfect to me , beautifully lit , great connection twixt model & photo , love Isabelle's expression .....top work...you'r ability with lighting is really something to be proud of !

Step....good to see some humour , can't really crit as failing to see anything wrong with it :clap:

If I have the patience Isabelle and I work well together. If I don't I revert to :bat:

Thanks for the FB (y)

step.. lol, I agree with Lynne :clap::clap:

Thank you :)

interesting Andy. I think it needs to have the top of the step in shot though.

Snapped up chopsticks??

Totally agree. We only have one step at the back of our house and I didn't fancy doing it at the front.

Chopsticks, I wish, they are cocktail sticks :puke: and the latter was really easy to make :banghead:

Cheers.

Two great images Andy, both well thought out and executed (y)

Back